• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Breaking the Ice - Ice Climbers DLC Discussion Thread - Under New Ownership!

Mobes

featuring Cool Robot Character "Ben Laserlove"
NNID
MobesMobes
1. There's no such thing as a replacement character and
Except Duck Hunt Duo is not a replacement at all
I understand I should've been clear in what my thoughts where so here goes:
Replacement is probably the wrong word to be used, but I was careful to say "thematical replacement".

-DHD is in no way similar to Ice Climbers other than being nes characters.
And you touched on what I was actually thinking. Ice Cllimbers are obviously not similar to DHD in how they play, but the characters both are connected to the NES era (and it alone). In this instance, I don't count Little Mac because of his appearnce on the SNES and Wii. Sakurai has previously said (somewhere, trust me!!!), in interviews for the development both Melee and now Smash 4 (presumably Brawl too, via ROB) that he and his team wanted to include characters from the NES era, so it made sense to me that it would be the reason.

I understand that Sakurai's also said that Ice Climbers got cut because of the 3DS. It makes my point way less viable and I shouldn't have forgotten the fact, but consider this: let's presume that in case DHD wasn't ever planned to be developed, there would be one less character that would be taking up dev time. In this alternate world, I can absolutely see Ice Climbers be considered given more time to sort out on the 3DS instead of being cut in favor of more time spent on DHD and other characters.

Never mind the obvious flaws in the above alternate universe. I figured I ride my thought process to its extent before I ultimately submit to you that I screwed up. :yeahboi:

ROBnWatch

Smash Champion
NNID
ROBnWatch
Switch FC
SW 2518 9259 3787
I understand I should've been clear in what my thoughts where so here goes:
Replacement is probably the wrong word to be used, but I was careful to say "thematical replacement".

And you touched on what I was actually thinking. Ice Cllimbers are obviously not similar to DHD in how they play, but the characters both are connected to the NES era (and it alone). In this instance, I don't count Little Mac because of his appearnce on the SNES and Wii. Sakurai has previously said (somewhere, trust me!!!), in interviews for the development both Melee and now Smash 4 (presumably Brawl too, via ROB) that he and his team wanted to include characters from the NES era, so it made sense to me that it would be the reason.

I understand that Sakurai's also said that Ice Climbers got cut because of the 3DS. It makes my point way less viable and I shouldn't have forgotten the fact, but consider this: let's presume that in case DHD wasn't ever planned to be developed, there would be one less character that would be taking up dev time. In this alternate world, I can absolutely see Ice Climbers be considered given more time to sort out on the 3DS instead of being cut in favor of more time spent on DHD and other characters.

Never mind the obvious flaws in the above alternate universe. I figured I ride my thought process to its extent before I ultimately submit to you that I screwed up. :yeahboi:
Understandable.

theenlightenedone

Smash Apprentice
This all starts...with a story.

This was written the day the final roster was revealed. As expected, the 3DS version kept them out. And they were so close. A crowd chant, a Polar Bear, and being able to run on the Wii U...all for naught. Game over.

...But today, they've gained an extra life.

Today, Sakurai showed that DLC is possible. Mewtwo will be joining the battle in Spring of 2015.

But what does this mean for the Ice Climbers? Only good things. Allow me to explain.

1. They are likely the most completed characters not in the final game. Based on what we know, these guys were FAR in development. Sakurai said they ran completely fine on the Wii U (guess 8 Player wasn't an issue :D ).
  2. They now have time. Going by what Sakurai said, he didn't work around their issue with a lot of effort due to them being irrelevant and not worth it, essentially. Other characters had to be made first. But now those characters are made. There is now a team working on Mewtwo until Spring. In some of the spare time, they can allocate resources to finding a fix for the Ice Climbers. There's no one else, barring Mewtwo, ahead of them after all. And the groundwork is already laid.
  3. Somewhat minor, but Mewtwo shows that veterans with only trophies can indeed be DLC.

So it's time to join in and climb one last mountain together as Ice Climber fans. Let's join our Arctic Amigos, our Blizzard-bound Buddies, our Frozen friends...and bring them home once again. Smash is all they have, after all. Let's not let them lose that.
I interpreted everything the same way and thought no one else interpreted what Sakurai said about them like I did but after reading your post shows me how I was not alone in believing this and that hopefully we are right and will get the Ice Climbers back because they deserve a permanent spot on the roster.

Last edited:

Naglfarii

Smash Journeyman
What he's trying to say is that not everyone will have both versions; therefore, the rosters will not be the same.
Which doesn't mean anything because mewtwo will still be available for everyone if they choose to get him.

If wii u got ice climbers then you've kinda screwed over the 3ds players. With Mewtwo that isn't the case. The difference should be kinda obvious

Last edited:

Sm4sher69

Smash Apprentice
3DS FC
3325-3958-0591

We also have ROB as NES representation and he is even a more important character than DHD and Ice Climbers, because he saved the video game industry. Though Duck Hunt and Ice Climber were both games nintendo used trying to save the video game industry (NES zapper and multiplayer), which is probably the reason why they also look important in Sakurai's eyes.

theenlightenedone

Smash Apprentice
We also have ROB as NES representation and he is even a more important character than DHD and Ice Climbers, because he saved the video game industry. Though Duck Hunt and Ice Climber were both games nintendo used trying to save the video game industry (NES zapper and multiplayer), which is probably the reason why they also look important in Sakurai's eyes.
Good point about multiplayer with Ice Climbers.

Ryu Myuutsu

Smash Champion
NNID
BahamurShin
3DS FC
3668-9945-1996
I know people bring the point of DLC as the Climbers' return but let's not forget the reason they didn't make it in: They couldn't run properly on the 3DS version.
Now, for those of you who know about game design tell me this, since finishing the game was the top priority before would Sakurai and his team be able to eventually make them work or will it be impossible due to the limitations? Might it work on the New 3DS instead?

Sm4sher69

Smash Apprentice
3DS FC
3325-3958-0591
I know people bring the point of DLC as the Climbers' return but let's not forget the reason they didn't make it in: They couldn't run properly on the 3DS version.
Now, for those of you who know about game design tell me this, since finishing the game was the top priority before would Sakurai and his team be able to eventually make them work or will it be impossible due to the limitations? Might it work on the New 3DS instead?
I'm not a game design genius, but I'm sure the new 3ds can handle them. If it can handle xenoblade it can also handle the Ice Climbers. The thing that remains is the fact if they will be new 3ds and wii u exclusive.

Ryu Myuutsu

Smash Champion
NNID
BahamurShin
3DS FC
3668-9945-1996
I'm not a game design genius, but I'm sure the new 3ds can handle them. If it can handle xenoblade it can also handle the Ice Climbers. The thing that remains is the fact if they will be new 3ds and wii u exclusive.
I figured as much. The only thing is that it could cause division among the consumers, those who have a regular 3DS would need to by the new one if they wanted to play as the climbers. I bought a New 3DS at launch but for other people is gonna be problematic.

Last edited:

lightdasher

Smash Lord
And Mewtwos data was too old to copy/port over.

ROBnWatch

Smash Champion
NNID
ROBnWatch
Switch FC
SW 2518 9259 3787
Hey guys, how about the DHD's trailer opening up today's Nintendo Direct, and the ICies being shown off in it as WUE/3DLC? I think it's somewhat likely, and that no matter what we're getting the DHD trailer today. The ICies being there would make my day, considering today is a bit boring for me. Any thoughts?

ROBnWatch

Smash Champion
NNID
ROBnWatch
Switch FC
SW 2518 9259 3787
Once again, ICies weren't even mentioned. I don't know if it means anything, but I DID see a condor from "Ice Climber" during the NES Remix stuff...I still have some hope.

pupNapoleon

Smash Hero
NNID
NapoleonPlays
3DS FC
5129-1683-5306
Switch FC
SW 3124 9647 8311
What are some positive changes anyone would like to see made to the Ice Climbers?

I'd personally like to see some more aesthetic Ice thrown into their smash attacks.

Opossum

Thread Title Changer
BRoomer
NNID
OpossumGuy
3DS FC
4742-4911-3431
Switch FC
SW 2859 6322 5208
What are some positive changes anyone would like to see made to the Ice Climbers?

I'd personally like to see some more aesthetic Ice thrown into their smash attacks.
That'd be pretty sweet. Maybe some more satisfying "clunk" sound effects with their mallets as well.

lightdasher

Smash Lord
I was just playing Ice Climber with my brother not too long ago and it gave me an idea for a custom, not sure what to call it so I'll just call it heavy Icicle.

Basically you throw it out, it slides along the floor slowly and it can go under platforms, kinda like the hothead item or Pikachus Neutral B, when it gets under, it falls doing more damage than just sliding along, if used in the air it falls straight down where it does most of it's damage (and maybe even spiking/meteoring)

Does this make sense?

Sm4sher69

Smash Apprentice
3DS FC
3325-3958-0591
I was just playing Ice Climber with my brother not too long ago and it gave me an idea for a custom, not sure what to call it so I'll just call it heavy Icicle.

Basically you throw it out, it slides along the floor slowly and it can go under platforms, kinda like the hothead item or Pikachus Neutral B, when it gets under, it falls doing more damage than just sliding along, if used in the air it falls straight down where it does most of it's damage (and maybe even spiking/meteoring)

Does this make sense?
That image has way to many nostalgia.

WaddleKing

Smash Ace
NNID
Nassim250
I think having them as "New" 3DS and Wii U Exclusive along with the Chorus Kids would be the best option. It would help promote both the "New" 3DS and the Wii U.

Twin Shot

Smash Journeyman
I think having them as "New" 3DS and Wii U Exclusive along with the Chorus Kids would be the best option. It would help promote both the "New" 3DS and the Wii U.
This would really upset me. I bought a 3DS once Smash was announced. I would really hate to have to get a new one because they decided only certain characters worked on different 3DS version.

WaddleKing

Smash Ace
NNID
Nassim250
This would really upset me. I bought a 3DS once Smash was announced. I would really hate to have to get a new one because they decided only certain characters worked on different 3DS version.
Well this is if they can't find a solution to make them work on the regular 3DS. I really don't think 2 time veterans shouldn't even be able to return as DLC because one hardware can't handle them.

Twin Shot

Smash Journeyman
I honestly don't understand why they can make RosaLuma work but not the Climbers.

If anything, they should just change the functionality of Nana (or Popo) to act like an extension of the player rather than a Separate AI.

Maybe they can make it work as an Amiibo Exclusive figure if the AI was the problem? Much rather buy an adapter for the 3DS than an entire new system.

WaddleKing

Smash Ace
NNID
Nassim250
That could work out i guess, and if you own the "New" 3DS you won't need the adapter. But i don't think they'll make it an Amiibo exclusive figure as i remember reading somewhere they won't make characters exclusive through Amiibos.

Dizzy_Fool

Smash Apprentice
I doubt any of us know how to program a Smash character on the level of Sakurai or those at Namco, so questionable as it might seem, if they didn't find a way to do it in the three years the game was in development, I have faith that they really did give it a decent shot and there were just too many obstacles. It's not like they just didn't try enough.

Maybe with the new 3ds they'll find some solution that works.

lightdasher

Smash Lord

If you don't get it, this only worked on the Gameboy colour, silver and gold could work on the regular Gameboy

Sm4sher69

Smash Apprentice
3DS FC
3325-3958-0591
I was thinking about the fact that there might be an Ice Climber stage on the wii u version, because Ice Climbers were intended to return. So does anyone have an idea for a new stage? I had an idea for a stage based of the bonus stage from Ice Climber with the condor flying on the top as well (or summit will just return).

If you don't get it, this only worked on the Gameboy colour, silver and gold could work on the regular Gameboy
Also Xenoblade is going to be on the "new" 3ds, but not on the regular 3ds.

J04KlM

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Pichu4SSB4
3DS FC
4940-5417-1674
Well guys, it seems Ice Climbers still have their theme song in the Wii U version for Smash:

What does this mean for our little Popo and Nana? Maybe they'll have a stage in the Wii U version despite not being in the game?

Sm4sher69

Smash Apprentice
3DS FC
3325-3958-0591
Well guys, it seems Ice Climbers still have their theme song in the Wii U version for Smash:

What does this mean for our little Popo and Nana? Maybe they'll have a stage in the Wii U version despite not being in the game?
Near the Ice Climber song are also balloon fight and shin onigashima, which both also played in the summit stage.
Though it were kind of rest songs it seems so they might play in the Duck Hunt and the Wrecking Crew stage.
But at least I can listen to that song in HD (it was my favourite song in Brawl).

J04KlM

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Pichu4SSB4
3DS FC
4940-5417-1674
Near the Ice Climber song are also balloon fight and shin onigashima, which both also played in the summit stage.
Though it were kind of rest songs it seems so they might play in the Duck Hunt and the Wrecking Crew stage.
But at least I can listen to that song in HD (it was my favourite song in Brawl).
I can see that being the case. I would've liked it if Ice Climbers still got a stage though, the game is lacking a snow/ice themed stage anyway.

Sm4sher69

Smash Apprentice
3DS FC
3325-3958-0591
I can see that being the case. I would've liked it if Ice Climbers still got a stage though, the game is lacking a snow/ice themed stage anyway.
I really expected an Ice Climber satge due to Sakurai saying that they were supposed to be in (I also haven't seen a game and watch stage on the wii u version yet).

Top Bottom