• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Breaking the Ice - Ice Climbers DLC Discussion Thread - Under New Ownership!

infomon

Smash Scientist
Seriously what if it's just solo Popo

just popo, exactly like melee/brawl but after nana got died

except she never comes back

but weary SoPo just keeps on fighting......

... fighting for nana.

Dynamo68

Smash Journeyman
I'm not believing any of this until we hear official word from Sakurai himself. The IC's may just be unlockables this time around.

tomvoxx

Smash Apprentice
NNID
thighland529
Switch FC
SW-1258-1614-8509
If the limitations rumor is correct then a solo ice climber could work, but both climbers could be costumes. Popo as the main Nana as the secondary. Idk it could work but I would prefer both and like someone said if they can pull off Rosalina and Luma and Olimar and Pikmin then I see no reason to cut them. It's just a crap rumor with an even crappier character select screen.

GalacticPetey

Smash Journeyman
NNID
GalacticPetey
I'm not believing any of this until we hear official word from Sakurai himself. The IC's may just be unlockables this time around.
We've already seen evidence from the leaks in official PotD. People are still in doubt?

CosmicGlitch

Smash Apprentice
We've already seen evidence from the leaks in official PotD. People are still in doubt?
yesterdays confirms it as well the leak showed spectator mode and that was the POTD yesterday
also showed that allstar mode was still locked so the roster isnt final in the leak anyway so we still have ice climbers coming our way

Last edited:

Meek Moths

Smash Ace
Ice climbers are cute and unique characters, that's for sure, but i don't think they deserve the spot. Yesterday I was bored so I played some free-for-all brawl matches against three level 9 CPUs, only items on were Smash Ball, Bomb items and containers. I always chose random and once I got Ice Climbers and they were really bad. I lost which doesn't happen often, they are way too clunky to control and their FS sucks. Whenever an Ice Climber CPU gets the smash ball I always avoid the whole FS.

tomvoxx

Smash Apprentice
NNID
thighland529
Switch FC
SW-1258-1614-8509
Ice climbers are cute and unique characters, that's for sure, but i don't think they deserve the spot. Yesterday I was bored so I played some free-for-all brawl matches against three level 9 CPUs, only items on were Smash Ball, Bomb items and containers. I always chose random and once I got Ice Climbers and they were really bad. I lost which doesn't happen often, they are way too clunky to control and their FS sucks. Whenever an Ice Climber CPU gets the smash ball I always avoid the whole FS.
Just because you're not good with a particular character doesn't mean that they should be cut. If that were the case, Sakurai should have cut: Peach, Diddy Kong, Pit, Kirby, and Sheik because I'm not very good with them....

Mysteltainn

Smash Ace
Geez, I have a hard time believing the Ice Climbers would get cut. Still not buying it really. I don't believe that text leak posted a few pages ago, but the condor would be a pretty cool recovery option for a lone Climber.

Although there is heavy validity in that roster, I don't think it's quite complete yet.

Last edited:

ROBnWatch

Smash Champion
NNID
ROBnWatch
Switch FC
SW 2518 9259 3787
yesterdays confirms it as well the leak showed spectator mode and that was the POTD yesterday
also showed that allstar mode was still locked so the roster isnt final in the leak anyway so we still have ice climbers coming our way
We did have a brief view of Spectator Mode in this video: http://www.smashbros.com/us/movielist/ Then go to the E3 3DS Trailer. Just at around 0:53-0:54, VERY briefly.

So no, yesterday's PoTD does NOT confirm the leak.

Last edited:

ROBnWatch

Smash Champion
NNID
ROBnWatch
Switch FC
SW 2518 9259 3787
oh hey cool your right not bad
do you have anything to cover todays PoTD?
Not as of yet, but I'm looking. Any evidence that will tear this leak apart is evidence I support.

CosmicGlitch

Smash Apprentice
Not as of yet, but I'm looking. Any evidence that will tear this leak apart is evidence I support.
cool hit me up if you find anything, seems real to me but i dont mind one way or another (but id love DHD) i just want people to know that there isnt a reason to be sad if it is real

ihskeyp

Smash Ace
I like how you say they should be cut because you think they sucked in brawl, even though they are considered pretty much broken lol

MBakhsh

Smash Apprentice
Sorry to single you out man, but this is exactly the kind of nonsense that's turning the boards into a cesspool of desperation and denial. If you still think that the entire thing is fake after the crushing, crushing amounts of evidence in favor then you are hopelessly deep in denial, my friend. There's a difference between taking something with a grain of salt and actively trying to make yourself think that it's fake due to either not liking it or not wanting to be fooled. As you can see by perusing the link below which documents fan reactions to the 100% legitimate Brawl leaks, rebelling against a true leak can be an awful lot more embarrassing than being fooled by a fake leak.
http://smashboards.com/threads/an-i...cond-post-and-brawl360-removed.135778/page-47
So yeah, at the very least if you're going to try to dig for explanations then don't make them excuses, like when people say that Gematsu was "outdated" even when Chrom was never planned to be in the game at any stage.

Anyway, regarding Snake, Ice Climbers, Lucas, and Wolf, we're probably not going to find out until release unless one of them is randomly revealed (possibly to make people doubt the leak?) None of them are all that likely to be cut, especially the latter three, given the All-Star lock and the five extra slots, For now I don't think there's much use in speculating; only time will tell. One thing I will say is that I'm pretty skeptical that 3DS limitations would result in Ice Climbers being removed from the Wii U version as well because the rosters are said to be identical. I think the number of characters, counting Ice Climbers as 2, would be capped sooner than that. (Example: if only 4 characters can work in one match at once without issues then there could only be one person playing Ice Climbers in a 3-player match and Ice Climbers cannot play in a 4 player match at all.) It's a bit sketchy but a lot better than nothing and the limitation wouldn't be on the Wii U version either.

ROBnWatch

Smash Champion
NNID
ROBnWatch
Switch FC
SW 2518 9259 3787

Back to square one, neither the button images or the "S" in Specknose and the "S" in Starlow match up.

Nevermind, images aren't showing up...can someone please tell me how to insert a picture from my computer on to one of these posts so I can show you guys what I mean?

Last edited:

CosmicGlitch

Smash Apprentice

Back to square one, neither the button images or the "S" in Specknose and the "S" in Starlow match up.

Nevermind, images aren't showing up...can someone please tell me how to insert a picture from my computer on to one of these posts so I can show you guys what I mean?
you would need to upload it to imgur or photobucket first or something like that

shinhed-echi

Smash Hero
NNID
punchtropics
3DS FC
5301-0890-0238
I hope at least one of them comes back. It could be called "ICE CLIMBER" and you could choose between Popo: (Blue, Green, White, Blonde+Blue) and Alt. Nana (Pink, Yellow, Black, Blonde+Pink).

He would just need a little buff to his moveset, that's all. His new recovery could be the Condor, and maybe his Side+B could be changed to something else, like spawning those moving platforms made of snow/ice/clouds from his game.

CosmicGlitch

Smash Apprentice
I hope at least one of them comes back. It could be called "ICE CLIMBER" and you could choose between Popo: (Blue, Green, White, Blonde+Blue) and Alt. Nana (Pink, Yellow, Black, Blonde+Pink).

He would just need a little buff to his moveset, that's all. His new recovery could be the Condor, and maybe his Side+B could be changed to something else, like spawning those moving platforms made of snow/ice/clouds from his game.
why not just glue nana to popos model instead she wouldnt have AI or anything but she would still be their and then you could just create animations to make her walk with you and such, she wouldnt function the same but at least shed exist ya know

and again the leaked roster wasnt the final roster (just feel like i need to say that everytime i entertain the idea that the iceclimbers are out)

shinhed-echi

Smash Hero
NNID
punchtropics
3DS FC
5301-0890-0238
why not just glue nana to popos model instead she wouldnt have AI or anything but she would still be their and then you could just create animations to make her walk with you and such, she wouldnt function the same but at least shed exist ya know

and again the leaked roster wasnt the final roster (just feel like i need to say that everytime i entertain the idea that the iceclimbers are out)
That's also a great idea. I always imagined Plusle+Minum would have worked that way. Kinda like Billy+Mandy in CN:punch Time Explosion you mean?

CosmicGlitch

Smash Apprentice
That's also a great idea. I always imagined Plusle+Minum would have worked that way. Kinda like Billy+Mandy in CN:punch Time Explosion you mean?
never played but yeah it looks like it, i just dont see a reason for having popo go solo is all

also i know rosalumas AI works diffrent but there is no reason they cant just make the Icys AI work the same, all they would need to do is put a delay on nanas attacks instead of having them attack at the same time and then make it so nana stays close to you

Last edited:

J04KlM

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Pichu4SSB4
3DS FC
4940-5417-1674
The Ice Climbers are cut? Why. They are 2-time veterans, why on earth would they be cut now. Because they caused framerate issues on the 3DS? Then. make. adjustments. Nana could run at 30 FPS like the Assist Trophies and Pokémon to keep the 60 FPS. If that doesn’t work, then make them single Ice Climber with adjustments to the moveset to keep the spirit of their duo. Sakurai, you have been a game developer for over 20 years, and you have a huge team of talented game developers. Are you seriously telling me you couldn’t even fine one solution for the Ice Climbers? They should of still been in the Wii U version, it’s baffling and unfair that they are going to be disincluded in both just because one version had a few issues with them. The biggest problem with this decision is that this eliminates an entire IP from the roster. Previous cuts in the series (such as Mewtwo, Roy) has always had other characters to represent their franchise. With Ice Climbers there are no one else, their IP is completely out of representation in the roster. This has never been done before and it just feels downright cruel.

Ridiculous.

ROBnWatch

Smash Champion
NNID
ROBnWatch
Switch FC
SW 2518 9259 3787
The Ice Climbers are cut? Why. They are 2-time veterans, why on earth would they be cut now. Because they caused framerate issues on the 3DS? Then. make. adjustments. Nana could run at 30 FPS like the Assist Trophies and Pokémon to keep the 60 FPS. If that doesn’t work, then make them single Ice Climber with adjustments to the moveset to keep the spirit of their duo. Sakurai, you have been a game developer for over 20 years, and you have a huge team of talented game developers. Are you seriously telling me you couldn’t even fine one solution for the Ice Climbers? They should of still been in the Wii U version, it’s baffling and unfair that they are going to be disincluded in both just because one version had a few issues with them. The biggest problem with this decision is that this eliminates an entire IP from the roster. Previous cuts in the series (such as Mewtwo, Roy) has always had other characters to represent their franchise. With Ice Climbers there are no one else, their IP is completely out of representation in the roster. This has never been done before and it just feels downright cruel.

Ridiculous.
So true.

Here's some food for thought guys... there's a Nintendo Direct tomorrow concerning up and coming/recent 3DS titles, there will most likely be some talk about Smash, and maybe, a new character. The artwork for the character will either confirm/debunk the roster leak. Here's hoping this is what happens, and that the roster leak gets debunked!

TheCJBrine

Smash Legend
Even if it's the Ice Climbers that are confirmed, it doesn't debunk the leak.
Why? Because the leaker never stated the Ice Climbers would be gone, and the guy who released the leaker's info added the DLC stuff to screw with people.

CosmicGlitch

Smash Apprentice

Ridiculous.
if you beleive the leak then you should also understand the fact that allstar mode wasnt unlocked in it, meaning not all the characters where unlocked. so the roster the leak showed is not the complete roster of the game
ice climbers are still probably in and people are freaking out for nothing

CosmicGlitch

Smash Apprentice
So true.

Here's some food for thought guys... there's a Nintendo Direct tomorrow concerning up and coming/recent 3DS titles, there will most likely be some talk about Smash, and maybe, a new character. The artwork for the character will either confirm/debunk the roster leak. Here's hoping this is what happens, and that the roster leak gets debunked!
did you ever get those pictures uploaded?

ROBnWatch

Smash Champion
NNID
ROBnWatch
Switch FC
SW 2518 9259 3787
Why? Because the leaker never stated the Ice Climbers would be gone, and the guy who released the leaker's info added the DLC stuff to screw with people.
True, but what if it is a different character that the roster DID predict and the artwork is different? Considering how there are...12 other characters that have yet to be revealed and were on the leak, and how there were 6 that were not on the leak, we have double the chance of getting confirmation of a character the leak did have rather than one that it didn't have (hope this makes sense). And if the character art is different than from the leak, this would disprove it.

did you ever get those pictures uploaded?
No, and I don't think I'm going to bother. Just go to the Wolf thread and go to post #654 to see what I'm talking about.

Last edited:

CosmicGlitch

Smash Apprentice
True, but what if it is a different character that the roster DID predict and the artwork is different? Considering how there are...12 other characters that have yet to be revealed and were on the leak, and how there were 6 that were not on the leak, we have double the chance of getting confirmation of a character the leak did have rather than one that it didn't have (hope this makes sense). And if the character art is different than from the leak, this would disprove it.

No, and I don't think I'm going to bother. Just go to the Wolf thread and go to post #654 to see what I'm talking about.
oh yeah that is weird i wonder what thats about

smashingDoug

Smash Lord
so who is to say he didn't just make the whole thing up just to screw with people. i seen very good brawl hacks like this Lucina hack https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YP6QwuDjQYs
or this mega man one https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sUCnvRa1x6I not as good but still

Last edited:

TheCJBrine

Smash Legend
so who is to say he didn't just make the whole thing up just to screw with people. i seen very good brawl hacks like this Lucina hack https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YP6QwuDjQYs
or this mega man one https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sUCnvRa1x6I not as good but still
Which Brawl hack adds the bottom screen of the 3DS to your TV?
Which hack replaces the victory screen with the Smash 4 victory screen?

While it's possible he made the whole thing up, it's very unlikely, and there isn't any evidence against the leak yet, only for.

ROBnWatch

Smash Champion
NNID
ROBnWatch
Switch FC
SW 2518 9259 3787
Which Brawl hack adds the bottom screen of the 3DS to your TV?
Which hack replaces the victory screen with the Smash 4 victory screen?

While it's possible he made the whole thing up, it's very unlikely, and there isn't any evidence against the leak yet, only for.
I'm willing to challenge that statement. Let's see what I can find...oh wait, remember how people are saying this week's screenshots confirm the leak? Let's take a look... Remember Tuesday's screenshot? The Spectator Mode screen? And how the leaker showed off a Spectator Screen in his photos... http://www.smashbros.com/us/movielist/ Go to the E3 3DS Trailer, and then take a look at 0:53-0:54. What's this? A Spectator Screen, which can be copied off of and worked with to make it look legit. In fact, there are so many snippits of different screens that the leaker could just combine some of them to make even more looking-legit screenshots.

Also, lookie what we have here... https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=spTFvJ6_H5o&list=PLacdYgynBH6qkexXLxK5P6WIp_MXFD5MB 2:43. Where is the part of the 3DS that separates the top screen from the bottom screen?

Also, go take a look at the Wolf thread, post #654. Looks like the leaked shot and a shot from the actual game...don't quite match-up.

With that, I will say that there is some flaws and evidence against this leak. So yes, there is evidence against it, but neither that evidence nor the evidence supporting the leak have yet to be confirmed/debunked, as does the leak itself.

TheCJBrine

Smash Legend
I'm willing to challenge that statement. Let's see what I can find...oh wait, remember how people are saying this week's screenshots confirm the leak? Let's take a look... Remember Tuesday's screenshot? The Spectator Mode screen? And how the leaker showed off a Spectator Screen in his photos... http://www.smashbros.com/us/movielist/ Go to the E3 3DS Trailer, and then take a look at 0:53-0:54. What's this? A Spectator Screen, which can be copied off of and worked with to make it look legit. In fact, there are so many snippits of different screens that the leaker could just combine some of them to make even more looking-legit screenshots.

Also, lookie what we have here... https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=spTFvJ6_H5o&list=PLacdYgynBH6qkexXLxK5P6WIp_MXFD5MB 2:43. Where is the part of the 3DS that separates the top screen from the bottom screen?

Also, go take a look at the Wolf thread, post #654. Looks like the leaked shot and a shot from the actual game...don't quite match-up.

With that, I will say that there is some flaws and evidence against this leak. So yes, there is evidence against it, but neither that evidence nor the evidence supporting the leak have yet to be confirmed/debunked, as does the leak itself.
Post #654 shows that Specknose trophy from the real leaker and Starlow from a different leak that also shows fake renders of Impa and Wolf. NEITHER of those pics were shown at E3 or from Sakurai.

E3 does have the spectator mode shown, so yes, you can't really use that one for proof very much.
However, there's still the Challenge screen that wasn't shown before, further making the leak seem real.

"Where is the part of the 3DS that separates the top screen from the bottom screen?"

They're pictures of a video, perhaps one the leaker was viewing if he is really an employee from Nintendo, or if he leaked it from ESRB. ESRB watches videos of the games they review, they don't play the games.

So, no, there isn't any real evidence against the leak yet, at least not any that makes %100 good sense.

The only evidence we're going to get against the leak is from Nintendo.

Last edited:

ROBnWatch

Smash Champion
NNID
ROBnWatch
Switch FC
SW 2518 9259 3787
Post #654 shows that Specknose trophy from the real leaker and Starlow from a different leak that also shows fake renders of Impa and Wolf. NEITHER of those pics were shown at E3 or from Sakurai.

E3 does have the spectator mode shown, so yes, you can't really use that one for proof very much.
However, there's still the Challenge screen that wasn't shown before, further making the leak seem real.

"Where is the part of the 3DS that separates the top screen from the bottom screen?"

They're pictures of a video, perhaps one the leaker was viewing if the leaker is really an employee from Nintendo, or if they leaked it from ESRB. ESRB watches videos of the games they review, they don't play the games.

So, no, there isn't any real evidence against the leak yet.
Can you explain Wario's missing pupil? And why is every other screen other than the character select screen so bright and colorful? Why do some of Shulk's moves in the leaked footage look like other character's moves (ex. Link's D-air, Marth's up special)? And isn't it still possible this is some huge gag by Nintendo (though even I think this is unlikely, though not entirely out of the question)? Who would honestly think the ICies are cut (I mean, yes, there may have been technical difficulties on the 3DS version, but do you really think Sakurai would just give up and say "OK, we couldn't get them in the first time, too bad, guess they won't be in.") ? Even the two leakers who were supposed to be giving us pictures that prove this leak failed at doing that, as they failed to show two trophy screenshots that were the same. In the Bowser Jr. footage, why is the bottom screen crystal clear, and the top is blurry as heck? Why in the world, out of all the Melee veterans, would Dr. Mario be the one to come back? There's much more of a fanbase for Mewtwo and/or Roy. Finally, this video goes neither way, but does have some points on how this could be right, and how it could be wrong: (Part 1) https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t2ar9sb8YWc&list=UUhuz0zVp4wGu44KxPsNsUUw (Part 2) https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N0h32QqHwmw&list=UUhuz0zVp4wGu44KxPsNsUUw&index=1

Yikes that took a while, I'll be back tomorrow. Maybe tomorrow's Nintendo Direct will give us the answers we've been seeking, and for my sanity, I hope it does...

Last edited:

Dynamo68

Smash Journeyman
Can you explain Wario's missing pupil? And why is every other screen other than the character select screen so bright and colorful? Why do some of Shulk's moves in the leaked footage look like other character's moves (ex. Link's D-air, Marth's up special)? And isn't it still possible this is some huge gag by Nintendo (though even I think this is unlikely, though not entirely out of the question)? Who would honestly think the ICies are cut (I mean, yes, there may have been technical difficulties on the 3DS version, but do you really think Sakurai would just give up and say "OK, we couldn't get them in the first time, too bad, guess they won't be in.") ? Even the two leakers who were supposed to be giving us pictures that prove this leak failed at doing that, as they failed to show two trophy screenshots that were the same. In the Bowser Jr. footage, why is the bottom screen crystal clear, and the top is blurry as heck? Why in the world, out of all the Melee veterans, would Dr. Mario be the one to come back? There's much more of a fanbase for Mewtwo and/or Roy. Finally, this video goes neither way, but does have some points on how this could be right, and how it could be wrong: (Part 1) https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t2ar9sb8YWc&list=UUhuz0zVp4wGu44KxPsNsUUw (Part 2) https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N0h32QqHwmw&list=UUhuz0zVp4wGu44KxPsNsUUw&index=1

Yikes that took a while, I'll be back tomorrow. Maybe tomorrow's Nintendo Direct will give us the answers we've been seeking, and for my sanity, I hope it does...
Yeah. I agree with your points entirely.

Top Bottom