• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

breaking a terrible habit

sonicPearltsl25

Smash Journeyman
ok...one of the only things holding me back in melee is dodge rolling....all noobs over use this...and its still a habit for me.

i dont do it nearly as much as i did when i fist started playing though. i use all the advanced techs and such and im by no means a noob...but i cant break this rolling habit

what do you guys suggest i do about this?

Zankoku

Never Knows Best
Administrator
BRoomer
NNID
SSBM_PLAYER
Start using R/L for necessities ONLY. Shield, wavedash, maybe spot-dodging, and rolling up a ledge. Take note of whenever you instinctively roll anyway, why you rolled, and whether there was a better choice.

Razed

Smash Ace
Play so that when you're holding the controller, your index fingers aren't on L/R

sonicPearltsl25

Smash Journeyman
sometimes ill be like doing a combo and then just roll for no aparent reason and it really messes my game up.

why dont i just hook up jumper cables to myself and have my little brother shock me every time a roll....that should stop me

but seriously keep the tips comin....i got a little friendly tourney this saturday and i wanna try and break it by then(i doubt it but lets try lol )

A_mArIo

Smash Cadet
Don't roll >.>
seriously though,the way to break a habit is to control yourself,almost force your body while you play. I know a lot of people rely on instinct when they play,but thinking through the match will help you stop rolling, and after a while you might just be so used to not rolling during matches you might just forget HOW to roll, or at least never roll at all during matches unless its necessary. Thats how I stopped rolling (it used to be my bad habit),hope it helps you.

Gui1tyX

Smash Journeyman
lol i had this same problem...i still tend to roll once in a while regardless at unesessary times but once u get punished for it repeatedly and get basically destroyed for it (if u havent already) u'll eventually learn ur lesson...u just gotta observe ur matches carefully and pase urself enough to watch out for ur rolls that u might really wanna do at the moment....dont know if any of this helped but yea....

Moggie

Smash Journeyman
Someone earlier said it best : Realize WHEN you are rolling instinctively, and when you are in that same situation, FORCE yourself not to roll. It'll take some games, but your habit should be broken.

I had this problem against my friend's Marth while he would edgeguard, I would always roll to the opposite side and he would just turn and grab me and throw me off the edge again. When you realize that it's NOT WORKING, force yourself not to and just think of something else to do.

As an lol : when I saw this thread name, I thought you were talking about smoking.

sonicPearltsl25

Smash Journeyman
haha....thats my brother who needs to quit that lol

but ill try some of these suggestions out.

and if it helps at all my main character is ct. falcon so it can really screw up my speed and comboes when i all of the sudden roll for no reason

Wilhelmsan

Smash Lord
Start using R/L for necessities ONLY. Shield, wavedash, maybe spot-dodging, and rolling up a ledge.
Will all respect my friend, the L/R buttons are pressed most often.

-Lcancel
-Tech
-Spotdodge
-Wavedash/land
-Shield(grabbing)

Preventing yourself from doing the roll of death is merely the task of replacing it with a better defensive option. Now if you're using the roll for offense, then sucks to be you.

choknater

Smash Obsessed
NNID
choknater
come on people, rolling isn't all that bad. habitual rolling isn't much of a problem either, unless it gets really, REALLY predictable. just know which characters have good rolls lol.

Leoneri

Smash Ace
Play Samus for a while. You'll lose the roll. Trust me.
I am so sigging that >_>.

But what I did was to notice when I roll, and whenever I would roll I would do a few wavedashes, not in competitive matches of course .

Reese

Smash Journeyman
I personally dont think its a terrible habit to roll, you just can abuse it. Rolling behind people for example is a really, really bad habit, but rolling away from people isn't that bad, and you can use it to get out of some hairy situations.(Unless you are fighting someone like falco, who can stun you with his shl) Like any technique, if its overused you will get punished for it, whether its rolling, wavedashing, w/e.

Uck

Smash Journeyman
Maybe your rolling so much because you are not spacing your attacks and getting countered to easily.Try to space your attacks and apply backward wavedashes to replace your roll until you break the habit.

KevinM

TB12 TB12 TB12
BRoomer
Play game and watch... when you have a roll that doesn't move as fast as people can walk you get punished pretty easily... made me almost quit but now i wavedash backwards like instinctively :)

Overswarm

is laughing at you
Two ways to stop a bad habit.

1. Play someone good enough to where they can punish you for it

If that isn't an ability you have, then

2. Stop playing smash for like a week or two, and then actively think about not doing it. You won't do it because it isn't fresh in your muscle memory.

Smash Master
so true dude, so true. as for breaking your habit, just tell yourself everytime you accidentally roll that a baby panda was killed. seriously tho dude, try the samus thing, and let me know if it works.
That's how I stopped rolling so much.

Rapid_Assassin

Smash Master
Look at WHY you are rolling before you discard it completely.

1. If you are rolling as your only form of movement, for god knows what reason, play Game and watch for a week or more, and you'll eventually learn... And yes, I've played some random Yoshi player that sucked who literally only used dodge roll to move.

2. If you are rolling behind someone, and doing whatever your favorite attack is over and over, stop playing noobs. If you play against someone that punishes that kind of behavior at all, you'll eventually lose that habit.

3. If you are rolling occasionally because you hit the wrong button trying to wavedash, or a similar kind of issue, it'll just go away with practice.

In any case, playing someone with a terrible roll (G+W, Samus) for an extended period of time is recommended. You'll eventually use something else to replace it, such as wavedashing or running.

Banks

Smash Hero
You need to start thinking very hard about what your doing, and not play blindly so you do stuff on instinct.

L5LM_Gtlink

Smash Apprentice
I know how the wavedash, but my finger is always in the L/R triggers for spotdodging and in case of needed guardgrabs. I just need to spend more time in training mode I suppose

JesiahTEG

Smash Master
I know exactly what's happening. Your playing by instinct, I used to do it all the time. The roll is almost automatic for you. Just do what everyone else has said; play consciously. Think about everything you do before you do it. Chances are when you first start doing this you will lose tons of matches, but eventually you will drop the habit and overall get a lot better.

sonicPearltsl25

Smash Journeyman
this is all good advice...but ct falcons wave dash isnt exactly the farthest most evasive wave dash in the game...if i wave dash backwards ill definatly still get hit since my primary means of practice are a marth and a samus player...but im gessing a good alternative for falcon would be...maybe a dash dance or dash wave dash or something...idk help me out

i think knowing an effective replacement would help tons

Dylan_Tnga

Smash Master
Start using R/L for necessities ONLY. Shield, wavedash, maybe spot-dodging, and rolling up a ledge. Take note of whenever you instinctively roll anyway, why you rolled, and whether there was a better choice.
Perfect advice.

Dont worry, EVERYONE has this problem to begin with. Here's my suggestion...

I find after a shffled aerial that hits a shield it is a noob instinct to roll backwards (to avoid a shield grab, wont work anyway). Instead of rolling backwards, you should jab with neutral a jab and then wavedash backwards. The jab comes out way faster than the shieldgrab.

Thats only if you KNOW your opponent is going to shieldgrab, you'll have to observe what he's doing. He could just as easily shield-nair you, especially with shiek.

Rapid_Assassin

Smash Master
this is all good advice...but ct falcons wave dash isnt exactly the farthest most evasive wave dash in the game...if i wave dash backwards ill definatly still get hit since my primary means of practice are a marth and a samus player...but im gessing a good alternative for falcon would be...maybe a dash dance or dash wave dash or something...idk help me out

i think knowing an effective replacement would help tons
Space better, so that the wavedash backwards is a good option. Either that, or do something different everytime you avoid an attack. Shield one, then spotdodge the next. Rolling isn't always a bad idea. Rolling always in every situation is.

And if that fails, practice with Game and Watch. His wavedash backwards is so much better than his other options that you will learn to space better. Learning Samus is good too if you only want to stop rolling.

Superstar

Smash Champion
Personally, I believe playing as Samus is a very good one. I still had that roll bug, but when I was playing as Samus, my brother punished me everytime I rolled., and I rolled less after that. Of course, I still occasionally roll to space, especially when under pressure, gotta get rid of that.

I have a question, how do you play consciously? My brother's uses Pikachu primarily, and he is always in my face, me being unable to go on the offensive, being forced to the defensive. My main is obvious. Do you learn to play consiously by playing noobs first, and then working your way up?

Vall3y

Smash Lord
ask someone to slap you every time you roll
and give you a biscuit for every match you dont roll at all

KevinM

TB12 TB12 TB12
BRoomer
I agree with Vall3y 100 percent on this one, get slapped for each roll, make sure your friend really socks ya too

sonicPearltsl25

Smash Journeyman
ok...keep posting on that...but i just found another crappy habit i have.....its even worse

i used to main yoshi...so i djc a lottt and now i use falcon and i still end up pressing the jump button twice so i go straight to a double jump...its really messing with my game

Rapid_Assassin

Smash Master
i used to main yoshi...so i djc a lottt and now i use falcon and i still end up pressing the jump button twice so i go straight to a double jump...its really messing with my game
I used to do that when I mained Ness, and earlier than that when I mained Mewtwo. Took a bit of practice to get used to other characters, but it's not that hard.

Top Bottom