• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Brawl's "WTF?!" Character

Ferro De Lupe

Smash Lord
First it was the little, mentally-powered boy named Ness in Super Smash Brothers...

Then it was the 2-D grandfather of videogames, Mr. Game and Watch for Melee...

W...T...F?! Who will it be for Brawl?

The "WTF?! Character" (for those of you who don't know) is a character that is widely unexpected by the mass population (Ness) or a character whom you might not expect in a fighting game (G&W.) They are characterized by being the last unlockable character in the game and, upon first seeing them, they are generally followed by a "WTF?!" comment by the players.

Who do YOU, the players and followers of the game, think will be the next "WTF?!"?

(I searched for a topic like this and found none. If there is one already in existence, please accept my apologies and take whatever actions are deemed nessicary.)

Gale_Ice

Smash Rookie
WTF for Brawl....hmmm

that is a toughy but I know that I went WTF when Snake was announced

I would have to say WTF character for brawl should be Tingle

FireBomb

Smash Lord
I think it's been established that Snake earned that title the day we saw him in that trailer. Until they show more characters, he'll remain our beloved oddball...

Ferro De Lupe

Smash Lord
WTF for Brawl....hmmm

that is a toughy but I know that I went WTF when Snake was announced

I would have to say WTF character for brawl should be Tingle

I think the whole world went WTF when Snake was announced... Perhaps he will be the "WTF?!" this time around. Sakurai has already confirmed that all third-party will be hidden...so, who knows?

Vicious Delicious

tetigit destruens
Switch FC
SW 0141 8170 9257
Snake, hands down. But if you're saying in terms of the last character or whatever, I'd have to say either...
1) Chibi-Robo. He's made a pretty big splash in the US and Japan alike. Not really known for fighting tecniques, CR would fill in G&W's spot pretty good.
2) Some Japanese person I don't know about. Like Marth and Roy did for Fire Emblem, this could boost popularity for this character's reputation in the US, and leave us wondering and guessing about this character's backround.
3) "Sidestep Character." Character known mainly for being either part of enviorment, minor badguy/villian, assistance in games, or otherwise not playing a vital role in the game (ex: Toad, Laughing Dog, Waddle-Dee, etc.)

Black/Light

Smash Master
. . . .Pitt, Snake and Zero where all "WTF?!?!" characters to me (I didn't expect any of them).

IDK, a Japan only character I don't know about?
Pac-man. . .(eewww!)
Sora! (yayyyyyy!!!!!:) )

D

Deleted member

The entire game is "WTF!!" to me.

Nintendo is actualy doing everything perfectly, eg, advertising timed well and great publicity at E3.

Heck, I remember I was so shocked when I heard the news of this game, that I just had to rush down that last slice of pizza, causing me to lose feeling in my mouth for a month :urg:.

Kirye

Smash Ace
If another person says Sora, I will personally shoot them. =/

And let's see.. A WTF character.. Snake didn't become that to me when I saw that, I just thought in my head "Oh ****, it's Snake! =O And he's in a box! =O", granted, I don't agree with Snake being in brawl for his key differences, but they're making it work, and I probably will be using him every now and then for a fun MGS feel.

I think the biggest WTF character they could add would be like another NES character that few remember. People expect NES characters now, but they don't know which ones to expect, with the wide variety to choose from. It could even be Bucky O'Hare for all we know. (I doubt it, of course, but it was just a random NES character that came to mind.), or Wart even. (Mario bros. 2)

Destruction_King

Smash Ace
The Guy from Punch-Out.
Lil mike? idk.
Lil' Mac, but close enough.

If I had to guess in regards to a WTF character... I'd say Toejam and Earl. This is assuming that Sonic makes it into the game.

EDIT: Wait, does being on the Wii Virtual Console count as being on a Nintendo system?

EDIT 2: Y'know what? Scratch that all together. Anyone from Jet Force Gemini would be the WTF character. Either Juno, Vela or Lupus.

Bolshoi

Smash Journeyman
I think Mike Jones would make a nice WTF character. Or, as someone said before, characters that haven't played prominent roles. Imagine seeing a Goomba or Octork in Brawl.

HiddenTiger

Smash Lord
Sonic.

Yep, you heard me. Sonic the Hedgehog is my pick for Brawl's most secretest character. If Nintendo played their cards just right, they could make it huge. Think about it. A couple of months ago, Shiggy and Sakurai-san stated in an interview that Sonic was the most requested character, and that they thought he was the perfect choice. Since then, nothing. What they should do is keep quiet about him from now on, even going so far as to hide him when they announce the 'final' roster, like the promised they would. Then, they make him the very last character you unlock. That would be so satisfying for all of the fans dying in anticipation, don't you think? Gigantic fan-gasms the world over. :p

GaryCXJk

Smash Lord
Snake isn't WTF anymore. You now EXPECT him to be in Brawl. It would be some obscure character, or a character who will shatter our childhood fantasies by being able to walk and jump.

Like Diglett. Or Mr. Resetti.

FireBomb

Smash Lord
I see Sonic being the most likely actually....

Yeah, but it's not Snake anymore. It would have to be Sam Fisher making an appearance as a Snake clone.

marthsword

Smash Ace
What about a nintendog, and in the trailer that was just a nintendog flying off the camera like melee characters do?

HiddenTiger

Smash Lord
What about a nintendog, and in the trailer that was just a nintendog flying off the camera like melee characters do?
Nope. Nintendo already cofirmed that the Nintendawgs are gonna be items. We just don't know what those items are yet.

Bolshoi

Smash Journeyman
I just hope they don't seriously announce ALL the characters, secret characters included. That would just ruin it for me :( I look forward to finding out who the characters are the good old fashioned way.

Black/Light

Smash Master
Sonic.

Yep, you heard me. Sonic the Hedgehog is my pick for Brawl's most secretest character. If Nintendo played their cards just right, they could make it huge. Think about it. A couple of months ago, Shiggy and Sakurai-san stated in an interview that Sonic was the most requested character, and that they thought he was the perfect choice. Since then, nothing. What they should do is keep quiet about him from now on, even going so far as to hide him when they announce the 'final' roster, like the promised they would. Then, they make him the very last character you unlock. That would be so satisfying for all of the fans dying in anticipation, don't you think? Gigantic fan-gasms the world over. :p
That would be coo. But I think that they should release him in a trailer for the game. . . .1 week before it comes out! (3 days before the release could work too)

I can just see the "ZOMG!!! Sonic isn't in the 'final' roster on Dojo!!!" threads everywhere. Than a week (or 3 days) before Brawl comes out, at no special event (just posted on nintendo.com's front page) they show us the trailer full of the REAL 'final' roster and just slip Sonic in at the VERY end. (could be a in a cinema fight with Mario where it ends just before they make contact)

Yeah. . . I can feel something like that happening :cool:

Sensai

Smash Master
Black/Light, you just became my best friend for describing that fight to me.

/sigh

But seriously, as of now, the WTF character is Snake. I also think that the WTF character will have to be a third party character, except that Nintendo will NOT want to do this, as it will probably boost sales on the said character.

So, I picture it being something very VERY off. Something no one has thought of.

And no, it won't be the Mii.

OysterMeister

Smash Journeyman
I also think that the WTF character will have to be a third party character, except that Nintendo will NOT want to do this, as it will probably boost sales on the said character.
Assuming the WTF character gets a sale boost in his/her games, then Sonic is an even better choice for Nintendo. The only Sonic games for the competitors as of now are those new Sonic the Hedgehog games for the 360 and PS3, and those suck hard. Hard to boost sales of a crappy game with a cameo appearance alone. But Nintendo will have the good, classic sonic games on the virtual consol, and there's always a chance that Sonic and the Secret Rings on the Wii might be a decent game (considering it won't be useing the same template as all the other crappy 3D Sonic games, you never know). As it stands now, Nintendo is the only company besides Sega that could truly boost from a revived intrest in Sonic. So if the WTF character is really a shrewd business move in disguise, then Sonic is leading the pack.

And personaly, I love HiddenTigers idea of waiting until the very last possible second to reveal Sonic.

Nekorion

Smash Apprentice
Something from meteos.

Weird characters, somewhat unknown and the pretty much rival of the lumines game from psp.

I see little else except wtf potential.

Caleb Wolfbrand

Smash Master
If they really wanted us to go WTF they'd throw in Lu Bu from Dynasty Warriors.

Now that'd make me go WTF.

Or the King of All Cosmos from Katamari Damacy.

Both of those'll never happen.

Nights

Smash Rookie
I think Chrono From Chrono Trigger, would be a Serious WTF, or better yet........

Inuyasha....

Top Bottom