• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Brawl's Fighting Cast, Some Intended for Brawl Only?

Rhubarbo

Smash Champion
When we jumped from Smash 64-Melee, we lost no characters. However, we lost four characters (three of them clones) from Melee-Brawl. Now which Brawl characters do you see being exclusive to Brawl? Here is my list:

Ike-A lord only present in the two recent Fire Emblem games. Unless he is feautred in another Fire Emblem game between now and the next SSB, he won't appear again.

Lucas-Featured only in MOTHER 3, unless there are more MOTHER games with Lucas, his odds of returning are slim (unfortunately).

Lucario-If Mewtwo is dsiposable, so is Lucario. If the next Smash game comes in 6 years, there will be a whole new batch of Pokemon to choose from.

Wolf- As another Fox clone, Wolf will probably not make it into another Smash Bros game.

Snake-Unless Nintendo bothers with Konami again, Snake will probably not show up in another Smash Bros game again. He will probably be replaced with another third party character.

PsychoIncarnate

The Eternal Will of the Swarm
NNID
PsychoIncarnate
3DS FC
4554-0155-5885
Your logic with Lucas is stupid because Ness has returned in every smash and Ness was ONLY in 1 game

Rarzy

Smash Journeyman
the fact that falco returned in brawl from melee makes me think that wolf will return in the next one.

GaryCXJk

Smash Lord
Not to mention Marth also featured in just two or three games. In fact, every Fire Emblem arc exists of two games, rarely three, but no more.

flyinfilipino

Smash Master
What's with everyone concentrating so much on future Smash games? Chances are you won't be hearing about another one for a while.

DMurr

The Radiant Hero
NNID
dmurray9
Hmm... honestly, I think they should keep every character, I think the only reason they got rid of characters from Melee is because of their failure to be used often and whatnot, their popularity as characters. Dr. Mario, Pichu, Mewtwo and Roy were not very commonly used characters in Melee. I think Mewtwo could even make a return in the next game if people stay as upset as they seem now about him not having a return.

I can picture Pokemon Trainer being redone in the next game with different pokemon... Ike isn't the most current Fire Emblem character, right now, either, Micaiah is. She still could've been included in Brawl, she wasn't too current. Ike is still in, and plus he has a unique moveset.. and I don't think it's a failure of a moveset like Mewtwo's was in Melee.

Who knows? I'm not too worried about that right now.

edracon

Smash Cadet
Lucas-Featured only in MOTHER 3, unless there are more MOTHER games with Lucas, his odds of returning are slim (unfortunately). .
then why did Ness return? He was only in mOther 2.. mOther 1 had Ninten, yes that was the name of the character in mOther 1.

wagnerelli

Smash Apprentice
Most of yours can be refuted with current characters.

Ike- Marth (I know, I know, FE 11. But that was announced after Brawl was in development)

Lucas- Ness

Lucario- Jigglypuff

Wolf- Falco

Snake- We can't call things like this. This is the first Smash game with third-party characters.

PsychoIncarnate

NNID
PsychoIncarnate
3DS FC
4554-0155-5885
Ike is the one I REALLY see leaving if another Smash comes out

Puddin Master

Smash Apprentice

WOLF. IS. NOT. A. FOX. CLONE.

Oh, and Wolf got in because he was popular in Japan, but Krystal wasn't that popular.

PsychoIncarnate

NNID
PsychoIncarnate
3DS FC
4554-0155-5885
Ike and Lucario are only in because of initial popularity...

Once other games come out, they may get replaced

I'm betting Ike more than Lucario though

pirkid

Smash Lord
You also have to think in a Janpanese view.

Lucario is IMMENSELY popular in Japan right now, I don't think most of you understand. That's one of many reasons he got in. It's was sort of like how Squigglypuff got it, she was very popular in Japan for a year due to the anime.

I'm wondering how she's still here, but hey, I'm not really complaining, another punching bag.

Ike has current popularity because of his game. If he doesn't make it into the next FE game I doubt he'll be available, but I'll keep my hopes up.

Iceman12

Smash Journeyman
I wouldn't see Ike leaving, they could always add another FE rep along with him and Marth, if Starfox can get a 3rd rep when it hasn't put out a good game since 64, how could Fire Emblem not get a 3rd rep when the games are still pretty good?

PsychoIncarnate

NNID
PsychoIncarnate
3DS FC
4554-0155-5885
Ike's ONLY popular NOW

6 years of Fire Emblems later, I bet he won't be

Same with Pokemon

In 6 years a new game will probably be out with 100 MORE new pokemon...

Surely Lucario's popularity will simply transfer to some other little thing

CMWaters

Smash Rookie
I don't care about who's popular and who's not.

I want more WTF characters.

Cause ****it, if you want an all purpose character, I have one. One that's
A)Antagonist
B)Female
C)Pirate.

Yes, I do mean Captain Syrup from Wario Land 1 and 2. I would LOVE for them to bring her back.

Magnacor

Smash Ace
We also needed more girls. Technically, we only got one.
And even that was one that was technically already in the game.

When we jumped from Smash 64-Melee, we lost no characters. However, we lost four characters (three of them clones) from Melee-Brawl. Now which Brawl characters do you see being exclusive to Brawl? Here is my list:

Ike-A lord only present in the two recent Fire Emblem games. Unless he is feautred in another Fire Emblem game between now and the next SSB, he won't appear again.
Ike is an original character and the only reason Roy was taken out was because he was a clone. The only reason Ike would be taken out is if they replaced him with another character with the same moveset and even that I doubt.

Lucas-Featured only in MOTHER 3, unless there are more MOTHER games with Lucas, his odds of returning are slim (unfortunately).
The same could have been said for Ness after the first Smash...

Lucario-If Mewtwo is dsiposable, so is Lucario. If the next Smash game comes in 6 years, there will be a whole new batch of Pokemon to choose from.
The only reason he would be replaced if another character with a similar moveset and higher popularity came along. It took 3 seasons of Pokemon to find a character as cool as Mewtwo and I doubt they will find another.

Wolf- As another Fox clone, Wolf will probably not make it into another Smash Bros game.
I doubt it. Wolf is a villian and has a little more priority over any other possible Starfox clone. I doubt they would put less characters in any franchise.

Snake-Unless Nintendo bothers with Konami again, Snake will probably not show up in another Smash Bros game again. He will probably be replaced with another third party character.
Alright, now that is the stupidest thing you put on this thread. Snake is completely original and his creator wanted him in Smash. Nintendo did not ask for him, they were given him. They got the power of Metal Gear's fanbase by putting him in and Konami gets Smash's fanbase. I would never have looked twice at Zelda, Metroid, F-Zero, Starfox, Kid Icarus, or Kirby if I hadn't heard of them in Smash first. Now I own or rented at least one of each of their games. I probably would never had bought Super Smash Bros if I hadn't seen two of my favorite characters (Pikachu and Mario. What? I was 9!). Neither of them want to lose that free advertisment so there is no way that Snake would be taken out unless they replaced him with another clone of Big Boss.

Honestly you're logic does not make sense. Further more, Brawl hasn't even come out in America (or Europe I suppose), and we won't get a new Smash for probably ten years or so. There is no use specualting this now.

tafutureboy

Smash Ace
More females...we got 2 (if your picky 3) in between 64 and melee and 1 for brawl, which i dont really count. So the next one put any female s that have possible movesets....hell put in a 3rd party female if you need to.

we need more bad guys too...

Poke'mon trainer should come back with the three we have (1st generation FTW) and add in rival trainer (evee evolutions possibly)

A WTF character

who'll leave

Lucas- newest MOTHER main character
Ike-Newest FE character
Lucario- come on they let Mewtwo go, what makes Lucario different
Wolf- GTFO, why do we need 3 SF reps with close movesets (not clones, luigified)

RedMage8BT

Smash Lord
Blaziken and Deoxys never surpassed Mewtwo in popularity. Lucario was the first one. I seriously doubt anyone will surpass Lucario, especially because he's a fighting Pokemon, making him more suited for Smash than a Psychic pokemon.

I'm very glad Wolf made it in over Krystal. Wolf is an awesome villain that originated in a classic, Star Fox 64. Krystal is a Zelda ripoff that has her origins in the garbage Star Fox games

Lucas is an icon of the Mother series, and Mother 3 is very recent. He might be changed in the next game, but I doubt his removal. He's just as important as Ness is in the Mother series.

Ike: See Lucas (replace Mother with Fire Emblem, and Lucas with Marth)

Snake, no, for many of the reasons already stated.

If any character is to be removed, it will be Toon Link.

sffadsad

Smash Apprentice
Honestly why do people think Ike has ANY chance of being out? If I remember correctly the GBA series was never really that popular in Japan, and anything before that was never released in America. Then along comes the GC game, with it's awesome new protagonist Ike. It had good popularity in both Japan AND America. If I'm correct then that would mean Ike would be the beginning of a rebirth in popularity in the series in BOTH countries. Marth stayed because he was the one to start it all, why not let Ike stay in because he was the one who kinda linked the audiences together.

Magnacor

Smash Ace
Blaziken and Deoxys never surpassed Mewtwo in popularity. Lucario was the first one. I seriously doubt anyone will surpass Lucario, especially because he's a fighting Pokemon, making him more suited for Smash than a Psychic pokemon.

If any character is to be removed, it will be Toon Link.
Lucario's Aura-based attacks also open up a great opportinity for specials, we might get a Pokemon with good, plausible specials or physical attacks, but it's doubtful we'll get one that balances them both well.

As for Toon Link, he might get de-cloned to match some of the games that he's in like Windwaker, but I doubt he'd get taken out altogether.

C.Olimar788

Smash Ace
Well, assuming there IS another Smash Bros. game, maybe Sakurai will get the sense to just keep all the characters from Brawl and add the dumped Melee characters. Ditching characters just disapoints people.

The only character I'd be worried about would be Snake... and maybe Sonic. Maybe.

CMWaters

Smash Rookie
As for Toon Link, he might get de-cloned to match some of the games that he's in like Windwaker, but I doubt he'd get taken out altogether.
See, that's all dependant on what the Zelda franchise does in the next few years.

Think about it...TECHNICALLY these are TWO NEW LINKS, unlike Link and Young Link from Melee, who were both the same character but from different points in life.

These two Links are from divergent timelines...one where Ganondorf stayed trapped and contacted the Twilight Realm, another where the world got flooded.

By the time talks even BEGIN for another Smash Bros. game, we could have a brand new Link altogether.

...though I doubt my strange dream about a Link set in a Final Fantasy VII like Hyrule will ever happen, with Link riding a motorcycle insted of a horse, but that's another story altogether.

Magnacor

Smash Ace
Well, assuming there IS another Smash Bros. game, maybe Sakurai will get the sense to just keep all the characters from Brawl and add the dumped Melee characters. Ditching characters just disapoints people.

The only character I'd be worried about would be Snake... and maybe Sonic. Maybe.
Read my first post where talk about Snake and apply the same with Sonic. There's no way they'd take out a 3rd party character.

See, that's all dependant on what the Zelda franchise does in the next few years.

Think about it...TECHNICALLY these are TWO NEW LINKS, unlike Link and Young Link from Melee, who were both the same character but from different points in life.

These two Links are from divergent timelines...one where Ganondorf stayed trapped and contacted the Twilight Realm, another where the world got flooded.

By the time talks even BEGIN for another Smash Bros. game, we could have a brand new Link altogether.

...though I doubt my strange dream about a Link set in a Final Fantasy VII like Hyrule will ever happen, with Link riding a motorcycle insted of a horse, but that's another story altogether.
True.

CMWaters

Smash Rookie
Oh, and about the third parties...

Sonic probably has a good chance of being in the next Smash game.

Snake...dunno. Isn't Metal Gear Solid 4 suppossed to be the last Metal Gear game? I thought I heard rumors about that.

Oh, and I also heard rumors Mother 3 is the last game in the Mother series...as in the series won't continue. But take that for what it's worth.

Rakath

Smash Ace
Hmm... Roy, one of the least loved characters in the game series... somehow was on the rack for returning to Brawl. Now, granted, he didn't return. However they started work on bringing him back otherwise there'd be no data for him (like Pichu). If Roy, single game non-wonder character, had a chance to come back. Ike, Second most used lord in the series history (tied with Leaf), is not to just be auto-cut.

Zevox

Smash Lord
Theres good reason we lost 3 of those 4, you know. Doctor Mario, Pichu, and Roy were filler, selected for cloning due to the rushed production of Melee. Doc got in because the developers liked his music, Pichu because he was popular among Japanese Pokèmon fans of the time, and Roy because it was the perfect advertising opportunity for his upcoming game. None of them had good reason to return for Brawl aside from their appearance in Melee.

Mewtwo is another story entirely, of course. I'll be very interested to hear what Sakurai or another developer has to say about the decision to remove him. If they ever do tell us, anyway.

Rhubarbo said:
Faulty logic - being in two Fire Emblem games is more than any other Lord save Marth alone can claim, and unlike Roy, Ike is genuinely popular among the FE fanbase (one of the top 3 in Japan and likely at least the top 2 elsewhere). Unless another multi-game, popular Lord shows up between now and the fourth SSB, Ike will most likely return.

Rhubarbo said:
The MOTHER series consist of only 3 games, each with a different main character (1 - Ninten, 2 - Ness, 3 - Lucas), so thats not a good reason for him to leave at all. Besides, I've heard some MOTHER fans saying the series ended with the third game, and that there will be no more, in which case Lucas remains a solid choice for a character pretty much for as long as they continue making SSB games.

Rhubarbo said:
Possible, depending on how the popularity of the Pokèmon fluctuate. Then again, Lucario could turn into the next Jigglypuff as well - eternally popular and ever-present in SSB for whatever strange reason.

Rhubarbo said:
Given Falco's return in Brawl, I doubt it. Wolf is even more heavily luigified than Falco, thus even less of a clone, so that already-poor argument is worthless. I suspect all that will happen with Star Fox in the next game is the addition of Krystal (or another character of sufficient importance/popularity if one comes about between now and then).

Rhubarbo said:
Possible, but only if Sakurai does not direct the next game. If he does, I doubt he'll cut a character he put in at the request of a close friend. I certainly wouldn't guarantee it even if Sakurai is not involved next time though - Snake may not be up the level of someone like Sonic, but hes not exactly a minor, unknown character among video games either, so theres good enough reason to keep him so long as Konami is okay with it.

Personally, the ones I'd watch would mostly be the Pokèmon, since their popularity fluctuates so much. Trainer could get cut, or at least reworked with entirely different Pokèmon such that he effectively becomes a completely different character. Lucario is a maybe, as I said above. And of course if her popularity ever dies, Jigglypuff might also face elimination. Beyond them and perhaps Snake (see above) though, I doubt anyone needs to worry. What we have now consists mostly of the most deserving, important characters from each franchise, and I really don't see them getting cut unless something weird happens (then again, apparently something did with Mewtwo, so you never know I suppose).

Zevox

MajinNecro69

Smash Ace
Alright, Wolf and Falco's roles in the Star Fox series are suddenly changing.

I believe in StarFox 64, Falco left the Starfox team. Although he came back in Assault, I think him and Fox's relationship as BFFs was coming to an end soon. Wolf, on the other hand, has become more of a friendly rival as the series progresses, teaming up with Fox to battle a greater evil.

If Smash 4 comes, I'm expecting Wolf to stay and Falco to go.

As for other characters, I wonder if Snake and Sonic will stay for Smash 4.

Sonic would have to end up being paid for again, and Nintendo may or may not want to pay a lot for him (unless the Sonic series seems to be gravitating towards the Nintendo consoles, which is a possibility). If someone else heads the development team for Smash 4, and Snake dies after MGS4 (I have NO idea what will happen in it, I'm just playing devil's advocate), and doesn't appear in another Metal Gear (or if the series stops), Snake might not stay around, considering Kojima begged SAKURAI to put him in it, and I dunno if the new director will allow Snake in.

Lucas will most likely stay in, as will Ness.

Pokemon definitely will fluctuate, and within two generations, we could see someone replacing Jiggs and/or Lucario. Although, I doubt it. PT may or may not get a change...not sure.

Top Bottom