• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Brawl's character animations are far better than Melee's!

EON_MagicMan

Smash Cadet
Brawl's character animations are far better than Melee's! And that's nothing against Melee! Smash Bros has always had excellent character animations, very suited to their styles. Melee was a great improvement on the Smash Bros 64 in this area, to the point that I never imagined it would get better. Whenever playing Melee, me and my brother are always pointing out how at times (especially in advanced levels of fighting) the battle plays out as if it were scripted-- I didn't think Melee's animations could be improved upon.

Now that Brawl has come out and I've perused over all the videos I can find -- I do tech support for a major ISP and when you're helping civil war veterans configure Outlook Express for e-mail for the nth time, you've tend to concentrate on something else -- I've taken particular interest in Gimpyfish's videos. I can't believe how cool the battles play out! The way the characters move at times is what really makes me believe this game has excellent graphics. All the bump mapping and specular lighting in the world can't do anything if the animation's crap.

Particularily noteworth is the way the character's animate perfectly with the amount you press the joystick. If you look at Lucario or Charizard (among others), they transition from standing still to walking or running so dynamically. You'll have to see it to really understand what I'm talking about. Some of the other movements and animations just look great and unique, like Lucas' dair.

Watch Charizard's leg movement at around 2:20.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nlFVsOavd-Y

It's really subtle, or it may be nothing and I'm crazy.

Either way, I think that particularily when the community collectively improves and people have months and years of experience under their belts, the fights are going to look cool. Cooler than Melee's looked.

Agree? Disagree? Am I exaggerating?

Cubemario

Smash Journeyman
Yeah, they've done a really good job too I think. I'm glad i'm not the only one that has noticed. I love how so many of the character animations are much like what you see in their games.

If I recall diddy moves a lot like he does in the DKC games. Which I really appreciate, because those games are why I want to main diddy.

EON_MagicMan

Smash Cadet
Yeah, they've done a really good job too I think. I'm glad i'm not the only one that has noticed. I love how so many of the character animations are much like what you see in their games.

If I recall diddy moves a lot like he does in the DKC games. Which I really appreciate, because those games are why I want to main diddy.
Bingo, his running and jumping, as well as idol animations look like they're taken straight from DKC! Kirby's another good example. Who would of thought you could animate what is essentially a sloppy sphere so distinctly?

kmkzSP1K3R

Smash Apprentice
lot of the characters' animations got better i think. But some characters totally got it bad. Like Ganondorf...oh man...have you SEEN him...? i'm not talking about his design, i think his design is badass, but the way he RUNS, the way he KICKS, and the way he hangs off the ledge...i rarly every say this, but "ewwwww..." =(

Teevo

Smash Rookie
Yeah, I noticed how Charizard has this bizarre out of rhythm waddle as well back in the japanese commercial with Pokemon Trainer. Glad to see someone else who enjoys little things like that too. Smash brothers has always been pretty good at keeping the character animations matching to how you'd imagine their personalities would be.

mugwhump

Smash Journeyman
Yeah, the animations have so much character, it really impressed me. While I agree Ganon's kind of wooden, his movements just feel so... ganony. And wario's, too, and Luigi.

Shuma

Smash Hero
Actually Ganon's animations are stunning, the only problem is that his TP model makes them look akward, just look at his new warlock punch. AWESOME.

madleviathan

Smash Apprentice
I wonder if AT's have the same amount of care they put into the characters in terms of fluid movement...if so, then I guess they really have thought of everything.

Top Bottom