• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

BrawlEX+PM Template V.0.2 + Clone Guide

PyotrLuzhin

Smash Journeyman
Yes, it's finally here, everyone. We've finally managed to enable PM+BrawlEX compatibility.

DOWNLOAD (current version: V.0.3)

How to add clones:

STEP 1 - Background:

In BrawlEX, clones consist of a module, a fighter folder, and four config .dat files. You've probably seen the first two types of files before. The module (ft_fighter.pac) tells the game how to build the fighter, the fighter folder contains the fighter's moveset (FitFighter.pac, FitFighterMotionEtc.pac), costumes (FitFighterXX.pac/pcs), and Final smash/Spy files.

Before you do anything, visit PhantomWing's BrawlEX release thread to download the BrawlEX character CosmeticConfig and SlotConfig templates, which are included in the BrawlEX 2.0.0.0 download.

Then, download HxD - you'll be using it to edit CSSSlot configs and Cosmetic configs

HERE is a mirror for BrawlEX 2.0.0.0, in case you can't access KC:MM due to server problems.

However, DO NOT USE THE EXMODULES IN THE BRAWLEX 2.0.0.0 DOWNLOAD! They are NOT compatible with BrawlEX+PM. Instead, use the EXModules included in my template download when you add characters to your game. They have been properly configured to access PM variables.

The other four files may seem unfamiliar to a BrawlEX newcomer. The first type of config I'll review is the FighterConfig. PhantomWing's BrawlEX master post defines the following parameters in FighterConfig:
0x00 Tag ("FITC" or "FCFG")
0x04 File Size (0x100)
0x08 Version (2)
0x0C Edit Flags

0x10 Entry .Pac Color Flag
0x11 Result .Pac Color Flag
0x12 KirbyCopy .Pac Color Flag
0x13 Character Load Flags
0x14 **Final .Pac Color Flag
0x16 Color .Pac Flags
0x18 Entry Article Flag
0x1C Sound Bank
0x20 Kirby Sound Bank
0x30 .Pac Resource String (0x30 chars)
0x60 KirbyCopy .Pac Resource String (0x30 chars)
0x90 Module Resource String (0x20 chars)
0xB0 Internal Name (0x10 chars)
0xC0 IC-Constants
0xF8 Texture Load Function (0, 1, 2, 3, 4, or 5)
0xFC AI Controller (fighter Id)

Edit Flags: None
As you can see, the FighterConfig contains much of the internal character data used by the game. For those familiar with PM's clone engine, it's kind of like an instance slot. You can edit this file with the BrawlEX Config Utility. Do NOT use the "Clone Tool" application for this purpose, as it's outdated. However, it does do an excellent job of renaming fighter folder files (the movesets and costumes in the fighter folder), so I'd recommend using it for that only.

Then, we have the Slot config files. These allow transforming characters to behave properly, and contain miscellaneous fighter info like victory themes.
Slot Config0x00 Tag ("SLTC")
0x04 File Size (0x40)
0x08 Version (2)
0x0C Edit Flags

0x10 *Slot Characters (0x10 bytes)
0x20 Victory Fanfare
0x24 Record ID (0x1 byte)

0x28 **Victory AnnouncerCall
0x30 **Victory Camera Distances (0x10 bytes)

Edit Flags:
0x01: Set Slot Characters

* Not set unless specified in Edit Flags.
** Version 2 Only.
You generally won't have to mess with these very much.

Now, we have the CSSSlotConfig, which you'll need to edit to enable extra costumes in your character
CSS Slot Config
0x00 Tag ("CSSC")
0x04 File Size (0x40)
0x08 Version (2)
0x0C Edit Flags

0x10 *Primary Character (Slot)
0x11 *Secondary Character (Slot)
0x12 Record Slot
0x13 *Cosmetic Slot
0x14 Wiimote SFX
0x18 Blank
0x1C Status
0x20 Slot Colors (0x20 bytes)

Edit Flags:
0x01: Set Primary Character, Secondary Character
0x02: Set Cosmetic Slot

When changing a character's costumes, which start at 0x20 as stated in the above spoiler, refer to THIS GUIDE. It's by far the best I've found online. Open your CSSSlot config in HxD (which you should have downloaded if you're this far in the guide; if not, go back and download it lol), go to offset 20, and add in your slot colors in hex.

Finally, we have Cosmetic configs, which you'll need to edit to give your characters custom portraits for the CSS, their victory text name, and more.
Cosmetic Config0x00 Tag ("COSC")
0x04 File Size (0x40)
0x08 Version (2)
0x0C Edit Flags

0x10 Cosmetic ID
0x11 Unknown
0x12 *Primary Character (Slot)
0x13 *Secondary Character (Slot)
0x14 Franchise
0x15 Unknown3
0x16 Unknown4
0x17 Unknown5
0x18 Announcer SFX
0x1C Unknown6
0x1D Unknown7
0x1E Unknown8
0x1F Unknown9
0x20 Victory Name (0x20 chars)

Edit Flags:
0x01 Set Primary Character, Secondary Character

Before you start editing this file, read THIS GUIDE by CommittedHail on how to give your character custom cosmetics in sc_selcharacter.pac, info.pac, and all of the other UI files - I won't be covering that here. Add all of your cosmetics before you try to edit the config file so that you don't interfere with anything already in the template.

Open your Cosmetic config in HxD, and go to offset 10. Change the first two bytes to match the hex ID of the Cosmetic ID you chose for your textures. For example, if you picked 121 for your character's portraits (so you named them .1211,.1212, etc), then your cosmetic ID would be 79.

STEP 2 - SETTING UP YOUR CLONE:

As an example, I'll walk you through how to make a clone with an ID of 41

First, grab the SlotConfig and CosmeticConfig templates MATCHING THE CHARACTER YOU WANT TO CLONE from the BrawlEX 2.0.0.0 download, and name them Slot41.dat and Cosmetic41.dat.

Then, go to private\wii\app\RSBE\pf\BrawlEx on your SD card and copy the CSSSlot.dat and the Fighter.dat of the character you wanted to clone (for mario, it would be CSSSlot00.dat, for instance), and name them CSSSlot41.dat and Fighter41.dat.

Refer to the subsections in Step 1 for more detailed editing procedures for individual files.

MISCELLANEOUS

Report any bugs you find here!

Thanks, and I hope you all enjoy this!

Last edited:

??Sanic Hedgehog??

Smash Ace
NNID
Sliverboy
3DS FC
5069-4545-8058
I know how to add clones already but, I added a "FE Character'' and she came out as Random, She works fine in game but her Stocks, CSS Icon, and CSS Name came out as Random and I don't know how to fix that.

Last edited:

jackal27

Smash Journeyman
Daaaaaang man I've been waiting for this! Sounds like a ton of work though. I'm definitely going to give this a shot at some point.

Kapedani

Smash Apprentice
This is incredible, thank you for all the hard work that this must have taken to get it to work!

So using BrawlEx, is it possible to give existing characters more costumes, and if so, is there any sort of limit?

Last edited:

HypnotizeOverdrive

Smash Ace
NNID
HypnoOverdrive
So using BrawlEx, is it possible to give existing characters more costumes per characters, and if so, is there any sort of limit?
Yeah, it's definitely possible, by editing a character's FighterConfig and CosmeticConfig you can give existing characters up to 10 costumes, just like with cBliss. It's possible to give each character more, but that would require some reassigning of cosmetics which is a pain.

Some characters bypass the limit of ten, going past it by two or three. I forget who though.

Kapedani

Smash Apprentice
Yeah, it's definitely possible, by editing a character's FighterConfig and CosmeticConfig you can give existing characters up to 10 costumes, just like with cBliss. It's possible to give each character more, but that would require some reassigning of cosmetics which is a pain.

Some characters bypass the limit of ten, going past it by two or three. I forget who though.
Ahh, I see what you mean, as the BPs succeed each other for all the existing characters. But, I would imagine that with BrawlEx, it is a lot more possible as you have the power to reassign the Characters BPs whereas with the cBliss Tool it was not possible.
Not sure if this is completely wrong, but let's say I wanted to give Mario 20 costumes, could I just assign Mario's BPs to 001-020 and move Donkey Kong's BPs to another index?

shaqnel

Smash Cadet
I used the mod without doing any editing and I got a freeze when I faced ridley when I used kirbys up b on him on warioland. I know this may have a lot of bugs but just to give heads up. It may be the ridley mod itself or brawlex.

Edit: Also got a freeze when selecting jigglupuff on the css. Using the projectm launcher by the way.

Last edited:

??Sanic Hedgehog??

Smash Ace
NNID
Sliverboy
3DS FC
5069-4545-8058
I used the mod without doing any editing and I got a freeze when I faced ridley when I used kirbys up b on him on warioland. I know this may have a lot of bugs but just to give heads up. It may be the ridley mod itself or brawlex.

Edit: Also got a freeze when selecting jigglupuff on the css. Using the projectm launcher by the way.
Jigglypuff is missing her Headband Costume, add it back in.

Solaros

Smash Journeyman
Never used BrawlEX before so upon first read-through I am quite unsure of the process. That aside, this is fantastic stuff! Hope to try this out without too many errors...

Last edited:

squeakyboots13

Smash Journeyman
Not sure if this is completely wrong, but let's say I wanted to give Mario 20 costumes, could I just assign Mario's BPs to 001-020 and move Donkey Kong's BPs to another index?
Is it even possible for the game to load a character with 20 slots? Last I heard, the limit was 14.

PyotrLuzhin

Smash Journeyman

did you change the gecko hooktype to AXNextFrame? I should edit the OP to tell people to use Gecko 1.9.3.1

Kapedani

Smash Apprentice
Is it even possible for the game to load a character with 20 slots? Last I heard, the limit was 14.
Oh, probably, as that was the case with cBliss. I am not very familiar with BrawlEx so I was just wondering if the limit to costume slots was any different for BrawlEx.

Also, just kinda curious, how does BrawlEx affect single player modes? Like are they still playable?

jaystring

Smash Ace
super happy about this, especially since i'm starting to make more mods than even Cbliss can handle with the 10 costume limit lol.

I'll definitively try it out eventually

but I'm a total BrawlEx noob right now, I've got a couple of questions about it.

1) you've shared with us a build that has brawlEx integrated. It is possible to do the contrary and have a way to add BrawlEx into our own personal build!? or is that a complicated task. I'm talking about a blank template like what the stage expansion people were doing where I can just add their stuff to an existing build.

I'm asking mostly because my custom build is huge and i'm wondering what would be easier/ less time consuming, to start from your shared build or find a way to integrate it to mine.

2) Is brawlEx compatible with ASL, the 70 Stage Expansion and Cbliss!? i'm using all of those at the same time right now

3) I want to know too if there's any draw back of using it (like does it break single player or certain mode etc)

4) The way I understand it, it add sound data and doesn't replace anything from the original game so it would be possible for instance to totally duplicate Marth and put my Lucina model on the BrawlEx duplicated Marth and have just her voice replaced. right!?

I think that covers my first round of noob questions.

shaqnel

Smash Cadet
did you change the gecko hooktype to AXNextFrame? I should edit the OP to tell people to use Gecko 1.9.3.1
Actually Ill try gecko instead since I used the pm launcher. Ill defrag my sd and use gecko to see if I can stop any errors.

Jigglypuff is missing her Headband Costume, add it back in.
That could be it but it froze as soon as I changed jiggs portrait. So I dont think it was a missing texture per say.

Last edited:

HypnotizeOverdrive

Smash Ace
NNID
HypnoOverdrive
I hope Pyotr doesn't mind me hijacking his thread to help, but I know a few things about the troubles of BrawlEx and I don't mind clarifying some things. c:

Oh, probably, as that was the case with cBliss. I am not very familiar with BrawlEx so I was just wondering if the limit to costume slots was any different for BrawlEx.

Also, just kinda curious, how does BrawlEx affect single player modes? Like are they still playable?
I may have been wrong about the 20 costume thing? I figured in theory it'd work, I've read around and it sounded possible but I may have forgotten about the 14-costume cap squeakyboots mentioned. My apologies.

As for single player modes, I can't guarantee they work flawlessly when playing as clones. I believe for clones the game just cuts back to the CSS after clearing Classic, not too sure for Tourney, All-Star, etc. I use BrawlEx solely for Versus mode however, so I'm honestly not 100% sure.

1) you've shared with us a build that has brawlEx integrated. It is possible to do the contrary and have a way to add BrawlEx into our own personal build!? or is that a complicated task. I'm talking about a blank template like what the stage expansion people were doing where I can just add their stuff to an existing build.
I have actually done this! My original BrawlEx build was made using vBrawl, but when this came out I decided to make the jump, and the only thing I had to replace that mattered was each of the clones' .rels. I also added the menus and things I made, but since those are from vBrawl, obviously, they don't look like PM's stuff. You can essentially copy over the CSS, SSS, etc. from your PM build and everything should work fine, though for clones you'd have to make new slots for CSPs, BPs, etc.

2) Is brawlEx compatible with ASL, the 70 Stage Expansion and Cbliss!? i'm using all of those at the same time right now
Since this is based off of 3.6, yes, ASL is 100% compatible. I made a .gct working with libertyernie's Stage Expansion, complete with maxed out SSS (78 stages). And cBliss is not, but you can use FighterConfigs and CosmeticConfigs hand in hand to expand character costumes.

3) I want to know too if there's any draw back of using it (like does it break single player or certain mode etc)
I answered that above.

4) The way I understand it, it add sound data and doesn't replace anything from the original game so it would be possible for instance to totally duplicate Marth and put my Lucina model on the BrawlEx duplicated Marth and have just her voice replaced. right!?
For SFX, things in the game do get replaced, yes. In Marth's case, Roy's SFX are included in Marth's .sawnd file. So if you wanted Lucina's SFX, you'd have to replace the SFX for either a Subspace Emissary enemy or boss, or edit Marth's SFX so that Roy AND Lucina's SFX are in there, and then edit the clone's .pac to read the new SFX IDs.

Really, really in-depth stuff.

PyotrLuzhin

Smash Journeyman
super happy about this, especially since i'm starting to make more mods than even Cbliss can handle with the 10 costume limit lol.

I'll definitively try it out eventually

but I'm a total BrawlEx noob right now, I've got a couple of questions about it.

I'm asking mostly because my custom build is huge and i'm wondering what would be easier/ less time consuming, to start from your shared build or find a way to integrate it to mine.

I think that covers my first round of noob questions.
I'm glad you like it, Jaystring! I'll answer question by question.

HypnotizeOverdrive ninja'd me lol

As far as I know, it would be easy to move the BEX data into an existing build. I think you'd use the included codeset, you'd copy the BrawlEx folder into your pf folder, you'd replace all of the modules with the modules included in the template build, and you'd use my build's common2.pac and common3.pac. Hopefully I'm not forgetting anything there...

To be honest, you'd be better off using my build as a base, but it can't hurt to try moving things.

2. This build's codeset has achieved compatibility with ASL, and I think HyperLink got it to work with the 70 stage expansion, although some of the music codes may not work properly. It's not compatible with CBliss, but there are config templates that mimic CBliss's effect.

3. I'll be honest with you - I don't play the single-player modes, so I have no idea what will happen there. If anything does go wrong, I'll fix it haha. Some people have reported issues with My Music, but I don't think mine's borked.

4. You can add sounds via replacing Boss soundbanks or by setting up shared soundbanks - you can't add new SFX yet.

Last edited:

jaystring

Smash Ace
All right! thanks for all the answers!!

Cbliss not working is not really an issue after all as it gets replaced by new slots anyway

It's a shame about the soundbank issue but well, I could just make 2 separate build, 1 that stays exactly like the one I have right now without BrawlEx for 100% working singleplayer stuff and the other one completely focused on multiplayer where I get all singleplayer boss soundbank and music replaced with custom characters.

That could be pretty cool! i'll definitively look into this at some point!

HypnotizeOverdrive

Smash Ace
NNID
HypnoOverdrive
You know, I knew there was something I wanted to ask earlier.

There are some .rels missing from the EXModules folder, namely R.O.B.'s, Zelda's and Olimar's. (I know Olimar's .rel had some issues in vBrawl so they may be present in PM as well.)

But yeah, are these .rels in development at all? And can we expect some never-before-developed .rels for characters like DK or Fox? That'd be super cool, even if its a ways off.

PyotrLuzhin

Smash Journeyman
You know, I knew there was something I wanted to ask earlier.

There are some .rels missing from the EXModules folder, namely R.O.B.'s, Zelda's and Olimar's. (I know Olimar's .rel had some issues in vBrawl so they may be present in PM as well.)

But yeah, are these .rels in development at all? And can we expect some never-before-developed .rels for characters like DK or Fox? That'd be super cool, even if its a ways off.
I've made both DK and fox - you'll notice a ft_funky in there lol. However, DK's unfinished, but he'll be finished eventually. I must have forgotten to put R.O.B and Zelda in there lol, and olimar's coming soon ;)

Also, everyone needs to download this .gct immediately:

https://mega.nz/#!bQVymCpD!uP7gCQdDd2dh_nF4lXv0P0YbbnyfYOAnWvyVLCrEENo

jackal27

Smash Journeyman
excluding mewtwo, roy, and ridley, 125, I believe. I know that at least 100 work
WEEEEEELP.

Personally I think I'm going to wait for somebody to throw a stage expansion template together before I make the dive, but this is so hype.

Also, could someone conceivably make a tool to make some parts of this even simpler? Just curious.

Last edited:

PyotrLuzhin

Smash Journeyman
WEEEEEELP.

Personally I think I'm going to wait for somebody to throw a stage expansion template together before I make the dive, but this is so hype.

Also, could someone conceivably make a tool to make some parts of this even simpler? Just curious.
I wouldn't mind seeing a stage expansion template either haha. I plan to write a program that automates things at some point, when I have time

jamershinobioneobi02

Smash Cadet
I got a question, Say there are 4 characters from a "Forbidden Build " I want to use, would I be able to use the slots that those characters originally used? eg: 24, 28, 2B and 2D?

devnew

Smash Apprentice
NNID
DevNew
How would I go about adding BGG's Ganon's as clones. Sorry I've never used Brawl Ex Before.

NVM It just seemed hard due to all these letters and numbers.

Last edited:

??Sanic Hedgehog??

Smash Ace
NNID
Sliverboy
3DS FC
5069-4545-8058
Uhh, So the Cosmetics aren't loading, Some character's CSS Icons, Stocks and CSS Name are loading as Random and Waluigi
If you need an in depth explanation,
Lyn = Random (Cosmetics are 116)
OoT Ganon = Random (Cosmetics are 113)
Lucina = Waluigi (Cosmetics are 123)
I added Knuckles as well but his cosmetics load fine.
I would love an answer to why this happens

(YES, I USED STUFF FROM THE LEAKED BUILD, DON'T KILL ME FOR IT)

PyotrLuzhin

Smash Journeyman

ds22

Smash Lord
I got M2's and Roy's Kirby hats to work not so much by editing stuff in PSA (although some PSA works has to be done as well), but more so by editing certain instructions and offset lists inside section[4] of Kirby's module (at 0xD0 and 0x440).
Problem is, is that the offset list currently only contains slots for Instance IDs already in Brawl/PM, so someone will have to try and expand that to include the BEX Instance slot IDs.

PyotrLuzhin

Smash Journeyman
I got M2's and Roy's Kirby hats to work not so much by editing stuff in PSA (although some PSA works has to be done as well), but more so by editing certain instructions and offset lists inside section[4] of Kirby's module (at 0xD0 and 0x440).
Problem is, is that the offset list currently only contains slots for Instance IDs already in Brawl/PM, so someone will have to try and expand that to include the BEX Instance slot IDs.
I'd love to finish that up for BEX, thanks!! I'm familiar with module editing, so that shouldn't be too bad. Is there anything else I should know?

Top Bottom