• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

BrawlEX+PM Template V.0.2 + Clone Guide

devnew

Smash Apprentice
NNID
DevNew
Really can't seem to find what's wrong with it...

I checked multi times moving renaming etc but nothing is working. still messed up

Last edited:

Solaros

Smash Journeyman
Really can't seem to find what's wrong with it...

I checked multi times moving renaming etc but nothing is working. still messed up
Since the CSS is being a fart, I can almost guarantee the problem lies within sc_selcharacter.pac. I used BrawlExConfig to rearrange the CSS with no problem so ExConfig is an unlikely factor. I've had the CSS crash on me a few times due to improper modifications of the .pac so double-check that file for any mishaps.

Last edited:

devnew

Smash Apprentice
NNID
DevNew
Since the CSS is being a fart, I can almost guarantee the problem lies within sc_selcharacter.pac. I used BrawlExConfig to rearrange the CSS with no problem so ExConfig is an unlikely factor. I've had the CSS crash on me a few times due to improper modifications of the .pac so double-check that file for any mishaps.
Fixed it FaceA_TopN_ made all the portaits load blank.
Speaking of crashing Could you help?
For some reason after adding 2 characters it crashes Right when i try to enter the CSS. Ill check again but Idk what went wrong.
Any help will be apreachated

??Sanic Hedgehog??

Smash Ace
NNID
Sliverboy
3DS FC
5069-4545-8058
Fixed it FaceA_TopN_ made all the portaits load blank.
Speaking of crashing Could you help?
For some reason after adding 2 characters it crashes Right when i try to enter the CSS. Ill check again but Idk what went wrong.
Any help will be apreachated
I think that it could be the File Size of the se_selcharacter.pac

devnew

Smash Apprentice
NNID
DevNew
how would i Shorten it?
The thing is this happend before but for another reason.
I Complete forgot that file size was a thing.

??Sanic Hedgehog??

Smash Ace
NNID
Sliverboy
3DS FC
5069-4545-8058
how would i Shorten it?
The thing is this happend before but for another reason.
I Complete forgot that file size was a thing.
Resize the CSPs to a lower quality, Some CSPs are in CI8 so, change them to CMPR

devnew

Smash Apprentice
NNID
DevNew
I fixed it it was file size yes i changed everything to ExtendedLz77
OH YOU CAN.

Edit: i thought you were showing me how to change it to cmpr
Sorry

Last edited:

devnew

Smash Apprentice
NNID
DevNew
I have a question, in that download there is a codes folder with a RSBE01.gct. Do I need to have the codes in there for Ganon to work?
The code in the RSBE gives OOT ganon a voice. You dont need the code tho sense you're using brawl ex pm. with brawl ex pm you'll have to add it through the fighter.dat file. at the bottom where is says soundbank or something similar (I forgot what it says)
you will need to put 142 and include the SAWND files that are in the download. if you're using regular pm you just need the code from the first page of his thread. you can find it.

devnew

Smash Apprentice
NNID
DevNew
I need help with something IM sure i did everything right this time. BUT FOR SOME REASON, they appear as mario and crash when I try and select them? what am i doing wrong?

Solaros

Smash Journeyman
I need help with something IM sure i did everything right this time. BUT FOR SOME REASON, they appear as mario and crash when I try and select them? what am i doing wrong?
Refer to the troubleshooting portion of this post.

I think that it could be the File Size of the se_selcharacter.pac
Correct. sc_selcharacter.pac has a size limit of around 3.79 MB. While info.pac is somewhere around 550 KB?

Last edited:

shaqnel

Smash Cadet
So Im still having problems with jiggs freezing. It only freezes when I switch from the first csp to the last or from the last to the first.

Also I cant get sfx to load for the oot ganon and some other characters. Also getting gfx issues when clone character vs each other Im sure the original brawl ex has this problem too though.

I did figure out when gecko wasnt working its because Im using a 4gb sd on wii. Pm launcher works though.

Last edited:

devnew

Smash Apprentice
NNID
DevNew
So Im still having problems with jiggs freezing. It only freezes when I switch from the first csp to the last or from the last to the first.

Also I cant get sfx to load for the oot ganon and some other characters. Also getting gfx issues when clone character vs each other Im sure the original brawl ex has this problem too though.

I did figure out when gecko wasnt working its because Im using a 4gb sd on wii. Pm launcher works though.
He removed one and didnt replace it. just import a csp correctly name it and also a costume it wont freeze then

Last edited:

Yeller1999

Smash Journeyman
Uhh, it'd probably help if you tell us what it is lol. I'm guessing a CSS with the icons as hexagons instead of rectangles?
Yeah, sorry I still don't know how to just link a brawl vault entry itself. Otherwise I would of just linked the brawl vault entry.

Edit: Here is a pic of the css from the entry.

Last edited:

Solaros

Smash Journeyman
Yeah, sorry I still don't know how to just link a brawl vault entry itself. Otherwise I would of just linked the brawl vault entry.

Edit: Here is a pic of the css from the entry.
Looking at the file now; this seems like it would work fine with the build, however you need to make your own CSS icons. Seems kinda tricky seeing how they're hexagon shaped.

shaqnel

Smash Cadet
He removed one and didnt replace it. just import a csp correctly name it and also a costume it wont freeze then
Oh ok. The other day I tried a lot of different things and got frustrated. Ill try this another day.

Sfx isnt an issue anymore because I noticed I never redirected the soundbank in the fighter.dat. Now I just have to figure out the forbidden characters ids and solve the gfx clone issue.

Last edited:

Yeller1999

Smash Journeyman
Looking at the file now; this seems like it would work fine with the build, however you need to make your own CSS icons. Seems kinda tricky seeing how they're hexagon shaped.
Oh ok, I don't even know how to make my own CSS icons. So I guess I will just stick with default CSS then.

archryn

Smash Cadet
Oh ok, I don't even know how to make my own CSS icons. So I guess I will just stick with default CSS then.
I've made icons with that CSS before. Do you need help with some custom icons, or a tutorial? Because either way, I can help you make whatever you need. I still have all the files, too, you'd just have to tell me what color you wanted to use.

Solaros

Smash Journeyman
Is anyone else having issues with stocks? The KCMM tutorial linked in OP mentioned something about stock difficulties, wondering if anyone else had that problem too. (For example, my clone characters 7E and 7F are loading 7D's stocks. Some stocks display improperly in the results screen as well.)

EDIT: ??Sanic Hedgehog?? ??Sanic Hedgehog?? Pit's ConfigTemplate files work like 99% fine for Lyn, just that her second jump puts her into a T-Pose...

Last edited:

??Sanic Hedgehog??

Smash Ace
NNID
Sliverboy
3DS FC
5069-4545-8058
Is anyone else having issues with stocks? The KCMM tutorial linked in OP mentioned something about stock difficulties, wondering if anyone else had that problem too. (For example, my clone characters 7E and 7F are loading 7D's stocks. Some stocks display improperly in the results screen as well.)

EDIT: ??Sanic Hedgehog?? ??Sanic Hedgehog?? Pit's ConfigTemplate files work like 99% fine for Lyn, just that her second jump puts her into a T-Pose...
Go into BrawlExConfig Utlity, Open the Fighter Cofig for Lyn and go to jumps, Switch it to 1

Yeller1999

Smash Journeyman
I've made icons with that CSS before. Do you need help with some custom icons, or a tutorial? Because either way, I can help you make whatever you need. I still have all the files, too, you'd just have to tell me what color you wanted to use.
Thank you, maybe you could do a tutorial just so I know how to do it myself.

PatziPatzPatz

Smash Cadet
Okay, so I managed to make a BrawlEx Slot (I chose ID 48) of Blaze the Cat and she is working fine in game.
But then I tried to add other characters, they show correctly on the CSS, but when I start a match with one of them, it crashes.. I tried it 4 times on a different slot, and none worked.. I don't think I have done anything different from my first try (but I guess I have, otherwise it would probably work ^^); checked everything a lot of times.. What could be the reason for this?

And another question: How do I change the number of costumes of a character on the CSS? Changing the value at 0x20 in the CSSSlotConfig didn't work as I expected..

Solaros

Smash Journeyman
Okay, so I managed to make a BrawlEx Slot (I chose ID 48) of Blaze the Cat and she is working fine in game.
But then I tried to add other characters, they show correctly on the CSS, but when I start a match with one of them, it crashes.. I tried it 4 times on a different slot, and none worked.. I don't think I have done anything different from my first try (but I guess I have, otherwise it would probably work ^^); checked everything a lot of times.. What could be the reason for this?

And another question: How do I change the number of costumes of a character on the CSS? Changing the value at 0x20 in the CSSSlotConfig didn't work as I expected..
1) There's a ton of roadblocks that could've happened here, is there anyway you can pinpoint the problem? Worst case scenario would be to restart everything.

2) What codes did you enter in 0x20? I can take a look.

PatziPatzPatz

Smash Cadet
Okay, I solved problem 1) now.
More or less the same issue you had earlier (I think on page 2). When it freezes immediately after starting a fight it's probably the module ft_x.rel. I changed the 0x0 on section[8] to the wrong value, it has to be the ID of the BrawlExModule and not the ID I used in sc_selcharacter.pac for the face and name graphics. And it didn't matter with Blaze because I used the same ID, 48 in hexadecimal, 72 in decimal for both ^^

And for 2) I should have read the guide Pyotr suggested in the first post more precisely.. I think I'll know now how that works..

And Stock icons also don't work for me, some work on the results screen, but the battle screen always show the '?' as stock icons.

Solaros

Smash Journeyman
Okay, I solved problem 1) now.
More or less the same issue you had earlier (I think on page 2). When it freezes immediately after starting a fight it's probably the module ft_x.rel.
Yep, I missed it the first time and I don't think it was addressed in OP.

And Stock icons also don't work for me, some work on the results screen, but the battle screen always show the '?' as stock icons.
The stock icons showing as "?" means your "InfStockface_Top_N__0" entry in info.pac is likely corrupted. BrawlBox v0.76 tends to enjoy doing that for some reason.

As for stocks in general they're painful to deal with. Still having stock issues on my end.

Last edited:

devnew

Smash Apprentice
NNID
DevNew
Yep, I missed it the first time and I don't think it was addressed in OP.

The stock icons showing as "?" means your "InfStockface_Top_N__0" entry in info.pac is likely corrupted. BrawlBox v0.76 tends to enjoy doing that for some reason.

As for stocks in general they're painful to deal with. Still having stock issues on my end.
I stopped with stocks when i get everything else settled i do them.
They all appear as Waluigi's White drawn esc costume for me (Stock icons)

PatziPatzPatz

Smash Cadet
Stocks are working now, I didn't notice the "InfStockface_Top_N__0" entry in info.pac.. And also that each entry has a "palette" field which must be filled, too.

Another strange issue: When I try to start a game with this Pichu (http://smashboards.com/threads/v2-0-released-the-project-m-3-5-pichu-psa.383768/) the game freezes right after the announcer says "3..2..1.." before the "Go!". Battle Portrait and Stock Icons work.

shikamaru12

Smash Apprentice
Another strange issue: When I try to start a game with this Pichu (http://smashboards.com/threads/v2-0-released-the-project-m-3-5-pichu-psa.383768/) the game freezes right after the announcer says "3..2..1.." before the "Go!". Battle Portrait and Stock Icons work.
That means you did the module wrong. You need to take the Pikachu one from Pyotr's ExModule folder, and then use a module editor to change the first 2 numbers in Section[8] to be the fighter ID for your character.

Yeller1999

Smash Journeyman
So, are you gonna make a tutorial or what?

Edit: Never mind figured it out myself.

Edit 2: Actually I was just going to keep the regular like I normally and keep the default characters css icon but I realized I need one for Ridley that matches the others I need a Ridley for the black one and I want a Ditto for black also cause I like it being Ditto on my random.

Last edited:

Solaros

Smash Journeyman
So some have been getting file corruptions when using BrawlBox 0.76b with this build. Does anyone know if the InfStockface_TopN__0.pat0 and InfFace_TopN__0 are the only entries that get corrupted?

Edit: Also, do we need to edit info_training and info_mg?

Last edited:

Solaros

Smash Journeyman
Sorry for the double-post, but I'd rather this be its own post. Two of my clone characters keep causing errors in Dolphin when starting a match. Specifically, a handful of error messages pop-up. After saying OK to all of them, the game proceeds like normal otherwise. When a match ends, the game freezes.

- These two characters are literal ports of Sonic and Ike. No movement swaps or anything.
- Their stock icons, BPs, franchise icons, etc., show up fine.
- Their movesets are perfectly fine, so their modules aren't the problem. Like I mentioned, the game proceeds normally.
- This should mean there's nothing wrong with their FighterConfig data. Or any other Configs really. I hope this isn't a false assumption. But I did do the same exact process for 5 other clones and they turned out fine.
- I don't know how to interpret the error messages, nor does Dolphin's log specify any errors.
- Changing their character IDs didn't do anything.
- The number of costumes in FighterConfig were previously incorrect, but that's now fixed. Really thought that'd do it...

If anyone else has had this problem, please help a brother out. This has been really stressful. ;-;

EDIT: I was missing a few files. FML my life

Last edited:

brotankfrank

Smash Rookie
Does anyone have any Project M/Brawlex builds that add characters yet? More specifically one that has the more polished characters included. Something like project m unbound but it includes ridley, waluigi, project ganondorf, pichu, lucina, etc. (and maybe a certain 4 other characters :D )

If you have any builds please let me know someway or another. Id really appreciate it. I've never used brawlex and im kinda scared to dive into this stuff so quickly lol

Thanks for everyone that is contributing to this kind of stuff i really think its amazing and wish i could help :)

Edit: If anyone has stage expansion and ASL working that would be great too lol

Last edited:

jaystring

Smash Ace
Does anyone have any Project M/Brawlex builds that add characters yet? More specifically one that has the more polished characters included. Something like project m unbound but it includes ridley, waluigi, project ganondorf, pichu, lucina, etc. (and maybe a certain 4 other characters :D )

If you have any builds please let me know someway or another. Id really appreciate it. I've never used brawlex and im kinda scared to dive into this stuff so quickly lol

Thanks for everyone that is contributing to this kind of stuff i really think its amazing and wish i could help :)

I would appreciate that as well!

On my case it's not because I don't want to play around with BrawlEx but mostly because I'm too busy making actual content that I don't have time to start playing with BrawlEx.

Solaros

Smash Journeyman

I don't think there is a build sharing thread here, but there is a chat channel here for builds. And some other people are being confused by the tutorial, which is almost tempting me to write one for beginners. Hmm

EDIT: With Pyotr's consent, I am now writing a "beginner's" guide which will gather everything together. There is a ton of content to cover so it will take awhile but it'll be worth it!

Last edited:

brotankfrank

Smash Rookie
I don't think there is a build sharing thread here, but there is a chat channel here for builds. And some other people are being confused by the tutorial, which is almost tempting me to write one for beginners. Hmm

EDIT: With Pyotr's consent, I am now writing a "beginner's" guide which will gather everything together. There is a ton of content to cover so it will take awhile but it'll be worth it!
How can i get to that chat channel? i tried to follow the link but i couldnt get access. Sorry ive never used discord before lol

But yes thank you a full tutorial is definitely what we need. There's seems to be so much stuff going on i cant imagine myself getting it right.

Solaros

Smash Journeyman
How can i get to that chat channel? i tried to follow the link but i couldnt get access. Sorry ive never used discord before lol
Interesting, I was able to access it before I signed up. Try this link?

But yes thank you a full tutorial is definitely what we need. There's seems to be so much stuff going on i cant imagine myself getting it right.
No problem! And yesss indeed, I (arguably) know my way around making custom builds but this was quite the handful. I'm planning to use images and .gifs so the whole tutorial won't be a fat wall-of-text.

Top Bottom