• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

brawl training exercises?

vegeta18

Smash Journeyman
so ive been trying to think of cool ways you can get effective training in against just the cpu`s or if you have a friend and you both want to train and get better. I thought of 3 exercises so far:

1. Juggling
This can be done with cpu`s as well as a real person. With cpu`s if you want you can even slow down the speed so its easier to react to their movement while practicing, and you can start there damage at something like 80%. How i do this exercise is i usually vs someone like snake, and toss him up in the air, try and see how many aerial attacks i can land before he hits the ground or gets knocked out. You can experiment with the training settings like switch him to attack or run or stand there. You probably want a level 9 cpu for this exercise because they are hardest to read. Later you can switch things up and use different characters instead of always fighting against snake.

With a friend you can simply just throw them up and its their goal to hit the ground, and your goal to keep them up.

2. short hop
Okay, this isnt as great of an exercise, i personally play pokemon trainer and marth, but if you play someone who needs to short hop often, like squirtle, ivysaur, and marth it is important to practice this. This exercise doesnt need much explanation and can be different for every character you use. The main reason i mentioned this one is because it can mix in with other excercises.

things i like to do is use ivysaur, short hop , razor leaf, than fade backwards for defense. Do things 3 times, than practice same thing going forward. After 3 each way, mix a short hop and than aerial.

What I like to do with squirtle is first come in with a shellshifted shorthop back-air and then while they are on the ground, keep short hopping and hitting aerials, and if they are in the air i have to use full hops and attack. This makes it so you can full hop and short hop whenever you need, and dont mess up doing one instead of each other. This exercise is very character dependant though, point is get creative.

3. Power Shielding
This is one you probably need a partner for. I like to do this with both people playing pit, and usually on final destination but you can do any one with projectiles. One person will spam arrows from one side of the map while the other person has to try and make it to pit and land an attack, while only blocking the arrows by power shielding. If they get hit, they have to start back at the other side of the stage and try again.

Are these cool ideas? some of them may have been thought of already, anyone have any other cool stuff we can work on like this? the 3 i mentioned all can be done in training mode, me and my friend will probably hang out and do a bunch of these one day.

ぱみゅ

❤ ~
NNID
kyo.pamyu.pamyu
3DS FC
4785-5700-5699
Switch FC
SW 3264 5694 6605
oh, this is going to be quite a thread.. *subcribing*
Will give input later, too sleepy atm to even read the OP.

C.J.

Smash Master
There's a much better way for the third one. Turn on mr saturn. Play catch with PSing (otherwise your shield gets eaten) then jump OoS and IT the item at them/up/z-catch and throw

1PokeMastr

Smash Champion
Or you can practice PS'ing the Karts on the Mario Kart track.

:3

Also, Level 9s air dodge after every time they're hit in the air.
Try lower levels if you want juggle practice, like M2K does with level 3s for warmup.

SnowCold

Smash Apprentice
There's also some character specific exercises. I'll post the not obvious ones.

Falco - to practice wavebounce and reverse wave bounce lasers go to shadow moses (island?) start on the top plat form and practice your wavebounces. The pillars prevent you from side-bing to your death. Once you have broken both the top pillars, go to the bottom ones and practice there. Once they are all broken, practice your silent lasers and bdacus until the pillars come back.

Pikachu - Two ways to practice QA control.
1. Go to battle field and cycle around the platforms with QA. This is good for novice pikachus.
2. Go to rainbow cruise and QA through level. Really any scrolling level will do, I just prefer RC.

Toon link - how to practice bomb drops (when you z-drop a bomb at the right height so that it just lands without exploding). Go to RC and try to place a bomb on each of the platforms. This will help with not just the timing, but the timing under pressure since RC is constantly moving and you're racing against the platform timers.

Kewkky

Uhh... Look at my status.
Premium
Switch FC
SW-7001-5337-8820
Make a completely boxed-up stage and use it in a timed match, and go to sudden death. Powershield the bombs while walking/running around, z-catch/catch them with an aerial/insta-throw them, tech the walls/ceiling, etc.

ぱみゅ

❤ ~
NNID
kyo.pamyu.pamyu
3DS FC
4785-5700-5699
Switch FC
SW 3264 5694 6605
Overall, practicing Pivots and wave bounces is good, is techskill and muscular memory to have.

vegeta18

Smash Journeyman
I havent really ever played that much melee, what do you guys think about that? is that a good method of training?Also reason i said you can try lvl 9`s for juggling is cuz u can practice reading the air dodge and then juggling. If you just wanna practice positioning and moves though it is probably better to just practice with level 3.

SnowCold

Smash Apprentice
melee gives you a different outlook on brawl. Your reactions can slow down with too much brawl (you feel it's not as essential to be focusing so much on reacting, when really it is, in fact maybe even more so than melee, it's just not as apparant). Playing melee for a week or so will help you react OoS, DI, really anything. melee can also help with finger technicality and follow-ups. melee definitely helps.

vegeta18

Smash Journeyman
okay so as far as different ways to train here is what i got so far besides going to things like tournaments, all of this can be done with a single friend or on wifi:

1.vs lvl 3 cpu`s, practice accuracy, AT`s, shouldn't lose a stock or get hit, try to play perfectly without making any mistakes

2. vs lvl 9 cpu(dont need to do this very much, just once or twice to get used to harder competition)

3.play on wifi

4. training mode, character specific excercises(learning AT`s, learning combos,etc)

5. Practice juggling(many different way to do this)

6. Practice Power Shielding(i like to practice this with a friend, but you can do what
someone mentioned above, go on onett and practice with green shell)

7. Play melee

8. play robot unicorn(maybe not that much, like a game a day or something, just to help improve reaction time in general)

9. practice pivots, wave bouncing, ledge grabs

Anything im forgetting?

SnowCold

Smash Apprentice
juggling is better practiced against lv 7s. they don't sandbag but don't airdodge after each hit. let's you get used to making reads and stuff.

vegeta18

Smash Journeyman
okay, yeah for juggling you can practice with different levels of cpus. What I like to do is set the speed to 2/3 speed and see how many attacks i can land before they knockout or land on stage. Than I try to match that number on normal speed.

Top Bottom