• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Brawl Tips Please

destocot

Smash Rookie
First of all I would like to apologize if this is in the wrong section.
-
Hi my school is going to have a tournament next Tuesday and I am a little rusty at brawl
(haven't played since last summer) I need to practice real hard because I want to win the
prize money. I actually plan on working my butt off trying to win this and I thought I'd ask some people who have been playing brawl for a while.
-
Just a few general questions I have also like;
::Wii mote or game cube, I've been using game cube but if wiimote could have more potential i will practice on that.
::What characters are best to master; I used to play diddy kong and peach a lot. i seemed to be really good with peach but apparently she is outclassed by other characters.
::any other tips and trick to practice would be really helpful.

MR. K

Smash Journeyman
gcn remote is the only way to go.

MK is the best character in the game....soooooo kinda makes sense to try and "master" him, other characters you might want to consider; Snake, Falco, Ice climbers(learn their chaingrab)

last part....go ask around on the character boards specifically for help for with whoever you plan on using, then ask for some videos of some top players using said characters, and also ask them for specific advice AGAINST certain other characters.

MegurineLuka

Smash Rookie
Beware of GIMPs. Don't let them grab the edge just so you can't recover.
Learn Directional Influence. Get someone to play with, a lot (and is better than you).

Feels

Smash Cadet
Since you mentioned you used to play Diddy Kong, it wouldn't be a bad idea to try and play as him.

Also, learn Directional Influence; look it up if you have to.

:phone:

Pimpfish

Smash Journeyman
the best advice i could give is play melee. its harder and makes you better.

smashkng

Smash Lord
NNID
Smashsk
3DS FC
0318-7423-9293
Melee is indeed harder but Brawl is still very hard at high levels of play. In Brawl thinking is important. Don't be predictable, watch the opponent's habits and abuse them. Almost everyone has habits, worse players always have some really bad ones.

MR. K

Smash Journeyman
@pimpfish

although Melee is harder (and imo and lots of others, better, for many reasons that have been beaten into the ground on this site already), its still completely different from brawl, to the point where if he focus's on playing melee, and just melee, he'll do very badly in a brawl tournament.

Hi my school is going to have a tournament next Tuesday...

Just a few general questions I have also like;
::Wii mote or game cube, I've been using game cube but if wiimote could have more potential i will practice on that.
::What characters are best to master; I used to play diddy kong and peach a lot. i seemed to be really good with peach but apparently she is outclassed by other characters.
::any other tips and trick to practice would be really helpful.
The advice you are looking for and the advice I am seeing being handed out I am unsure of.

For a pick of controller, going with what you have learned in the past is usually best. Since you have a short deadline, it doesn't make sense to go and completely relearn a new style of controls which will take time and even by tournament still give you some issues. However, since this is a school tournament I am not certain of the type of wii they might use. For example, Nintendo stopped making the old wii that supports the backwards compatibility. Your school tourney might or might not use the older Wii's which support gamecube controllers. As a back up, it might be useful to familiarize yourself with the wii classic controller. Its the closest feel you will get to the gamecube which you said you are accustom too.

You cannot really expect to pick up a character and feel comfortable with them in a few days. You have a short time span and its probably best to stick with what you already were use too. Also, since this is a school tourney I personally wouldn't expect to see many outstanding players expect maybe one or two. For example, something like falco's chain grab to his Down aerial spike move is rather effective against people who have not really faced it before.

The only tip I could give is try to match the environment you will be playing in. If you know the tourney rules, try to match in your matches against cpus or anyone on wifi if you have it. Other than that, most advice given would come down to your pick of character. Even then, the advice given might not always be the best since it may depend on a number of things. Within a school tourney you will see more people who play the brawl with friends just to play and never put in any extra practice outside of that. Then you will have people like yourself who are specifically trying to improve and are willing to put in the time to improve. When this happens, you do have this competitive and casual mindset when it comes to playing and it affects your decision making.

Against competitive person who is use to teching G&W's dthrow, I will forgo trying to dsmash and instead attempt to get a read on a roll perhaps since I know they know that g&w dsmash doesn't work if you tech. However, in a more casual oriented person this knowledge is rarer to see and I fully expect them to get hit by dthrow -> dsmash. This is the sort of thing I meant by the advice sort of depends. For a school tourney, I would recommend picking up the more gimmicky things that are not suppose to work, but will given the lack of experience in a match. Falco's CG to spike is a prime example of such a character. Spamming tornado and dsmash as meta knight. Inhaling someone next to the ledge as kirby and spitting them out underneath the stage. Stuff like that.

Melee is indeed harder but Brawl is still very hard at high levels of play. In Brawl thinking is important. Don't be predictable, watch the opponent's habits and abuse them. Almost everyone has habits, worse players always have some really bad ones.
lol You make it sound like brawl involves more thinking than melee. Fox drill shine -> usmash, uthrow -> uair -> uair. Meta knight sh fair -> dtilt -> dtilt -> dtilt -> sh fair -> nado. Both involve their moments of dumbness and need to think :p
although Melee is harder , its still completely different from brawl, to the point where if he focus's on playing melee, and just melee, he'll do very badly in a brawl tournament.
Play both games and in different communities for a couple years and you'll realize the two are much more similar than you might think. Its sort of weird. Playing in one will help you play in the other. However, I would agree that you might not see this helping affect until after you played either game for awhile. Analogy: Each character might have a different set of movements and actions, but many strategies for each character are relatively the same. The only difference is applying those strategies with different tools.

Kink-Link5

Smash Hero
Don't confuse auto-combos for "moments of dumbness." The process of securing a hit confirm is where the intelligence comes into play, especially against good characters with mobility or against good players that can make key decisions consistently.

destocot

Smash Rookie
i am the world player in the world holy hell I can't win a single game on wifi I must really suck

smashkng

Smash Lord
NNID
Smashsk
3DS FC
0318-7423-9293
lol You make it sound like brawl involves more thinking than melee. Fox drill shine -> usmash, uthrow -> uair -> uair. Meta knight sh fair -> dtilt -> dtilt -> dtilt -> sh fair -> nado. Both involve their moments of dumbness and need to think :p
I don't see how drill shine usmash requires thinking. It's just pure techicall skill based. It's easier in Melee to shffl with spacies without proper spacing and get away with it than it is in Brawl. In Brawl MK's fair isn't safe on shield at all it you're using a good character. Dtilt is punishable by most good characters too so even as MK you do have to think.

Kink-Link5

Smash Hero
I don't see how drill shine usmash requires thinking. It's just pure techicall skill based. It's easier in Melee to shffl with spacies without proper spacing and get away with it than it is in Brawl. In Brawl MK's fair isn't safe on shield at all it you're using a good character. Dtilt is punishable by most good characters too so even as MK you do have to think.
Yes, that was his point, eagle eye.

DrinkingFood

Smash Hero
Posting here to show support because, even though I'm not fond of brawl
and consider it even a disgrace to the series
, I DO support casual players trying to participate in tournaments and take their skill to the next level while participating in the camaraderie of the smash scene with players from your school.

Don't take practice against CPUs to be a real measure of how you play or how well you'll do against human players. The two don't compare, especially in brawl where the CPUs have **** DI (directional influence) compared to humans but godlike reflexes which no human has. If you really can't find a person to play against in real life, wifi is probably your next best bet, although it's nearly (not quite) as bad as playing against CPUs. Browse the forums and especially that of your chosen character (you could probably be successful with Diddy, just learn to abuse bananas) to learn little tips and tricks to improve your game.

@Smashkng: I was using an example from melee and one from brawl to point out their moments of comparable lack of thinking. Drill shine or Uair isn't guaranteed if you SDI/DI the Uair or the drill, but its harder for the one being hit by the move than it is the attacker as you pointed out. And MKs Dtilt or Fair to me was similar. Avoidable, but harder while its pretty easy for MK to continually space Dtilt or Fair without really thinking that they need to do one or the other. Space it and wait for a reaction pretty much or hope they mess up.

@Food: DI from the CPU isn't really important I would say for brawl except in a few situations due to the lack of combos. Melee, combo DI is super important. Pretty much everything in brawl is either DI to get out of a multi-hitting move, survive an attack, or DI to put yourself in a better position. And those inhuman reflexes from the CPU I think is really important.

Top Bottom