• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Event - MLG Anaheim 2014 Brawl Settings for MLG and other tournaments

Status
Not open for further replies.

Syntac

Smash Rookie
I was wondering what the settings were for the tournies people play in? When I use to play melee with my friends, we would do no items, 4 stock, and lightning mode(faster play was a higher skill cap for us). what are the settings for MLG and Tournaments?

Blacknight99923

Smash Champion
wrong thread but

3 stock
IDC banned
35-60 edge grab limit
neutrals are generally battlefield final destination smashville or somtimes yoshis
cps are delphino, norfair, lylat, castle siege, rainbow cruise, frigate orphean, brinstar.
controler ports rock paper sissors.
8 minute timer
infinites must end before 300%

D3s infnite is usually banned
thats all i can remember off the top of my head. Go look it up

Syntac

Smash Rookie
wrong thread but

3 stock
IDC banned
35-60 edge grab limit
neutrals are generally battlefield final destination smashville or somtimes yoshis
cps are delphino, norfair, lylat, castle siege, rainbow cruise, frigate orphean, brinstar.
controler ports rock paper sissors.
8 minute timer
infinites must end before 300%

D3s infnite is usually banned
thats all i can remember off the top of my head. Go look it up
is it played on lightning mode?

Hansel34

Smash Cadet
No its not played in lighting mode. Not sure why anyone would want to play it in lighting mode... But no.

Syntac

Smash Rookie
No its not played in lighting mode. Not sure why anyone would want to play it in lighting mode... But no.
Because playing on lightning mode requires you to have faster reflexes which raises the skill cap of the game and since this is a competitive game...thats a great thing. Why do you think Starcraft is one of the best competitive game of all time? Because it is a FAST paced game.

Blacknight99923

Smash Champion
lightning mode is sorta dumb

fighting games aren't about only reflexes they are about mindgames outsmarting, knowining matchups ect.

Syntac

Smash Rookie
Rofl, OP is obviously a troll. SC isn't even fast paced, micromanagement is like a huge percentage of your APM, and doesn't affect game speed whatsoever.
thats why the default speed in SC/SC2 is fast but it is put on faster to make it more competitive? if you don't know what you are talking about...please don't post.

Ledger_Damayn

Smash Ace
Kay, serious mode activated.

Competitiveness and speed are not related. How competitively viable a game is more or less only about the game's ability to provide an environment in which two parties can do *something* in which the end result ends with one side being victorious over the other. Better competitive games offer that if you beat your opponent, you are likely more skilled than they are.

Speed is often a factor at work, as you said, reducing the time in which you have to react properly, but when it detriments already important parts of the game, i.e. DI, SDI, breaking out of grabs, frame perfect combos (there aren't many in this game, but they exist, ala Marth's grab release spike), but doesn't actually affect the core elements of the game, which would be spacing, prediction/punishment, and matchup information (frames are a huge part of this. Inconsistent game speeds make actions take less time, and since there are already actions that occur at 1 frame, I can't imagine that the game calculates these values properly).

While playing in lightning mode may require more "skill," it's more or less like the skill required to play a difficult song at 1.5x speed. You can do it, but it won't be the same song, and it probably won't sound nearly as good. It requires more skill, but takes away from what makes the game a good game.

You obviously don't even play Starcraft at a competitive level if you think it's one of the best games ever created because of it's game speed.

EDIT: I still think you're a troll.

dj asakura

Smash Ace

This post takes the cake!!!

I thought this thread was about what the MLG ruleset was, not a pro lightning mode brawl setting or something... That would be just silly.
The problem here is that OP seems to think Lightning mode is competitive and should be a part of the settings.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom