• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Brawl RPG Idea (I was bored)

Dublio

Smash Ace
Note: I created the below due to boredom.

The stages of Development were written by MookieRah.

I simply provided the RPG aspect of Brawl at the beginning. Also, if this is in the wrong area, I apologize.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Playing Smash Brothers Brawl is just like a RPG. During a smasher's life, there are
several stages of development. Each stage roughly determines how skilled you are in Smash. Along each of these stages is a general range of levels. As you get experience, you will level up. You can get experience through a number of ways. Being proactive during a match, fighting a ton of different types of opponents, learning every nuance of your character, strengths and weaknesses of characters, etc. The higher level you are, the harder it is to level. When you level up, your playing skills increase.

If you don't play for a while, your skills will get rusty and decrease. Status conditions such as being hungry, sleepy, needing to go to the bathroom, being stressed out, having your hands being tired, can lower your playing abilities in Smash as well. Each character in Brawl has their own level. As your general playing abilities increase, your level for each character will increase slightly as well. However, you will only level if you occasionally use those characters and learn their movesets. After a while, beating opponents will only give you minimal experience, while learning to be proactive during a match will give you a lot of experience.

Stages of Development:

Lvl 1 - 13: Newbie/Beginner

Someone who has barely played the game. Struggles with the most basic of concepts, and is still adjusting to the controls.

Lvl 14 - 26: Casual Novice

A player who understands all of the basic concepts of the game. They understand or at least know of pretty much all of the basic options as presented in the instruction manual. They may or may not understand or be aware of some of the more elusive lower level techniques such as teching and meteor canceling. A casual novice knows little or virtually nothing of the competitive scene, and will not truely progress past this stage untill they discover it and then choose to reach a higher level of play.

Lvl 27 - 39: Novice

A player who has a good understanding of the lower level skills, and is currently in the process of learning and experimenting higher end techniques. This is a very influential stage in ones developement, because a lot of players tend to get overwhelmed. It's easy for humble players to realize that in the grand scheme of things, they aren't good. A cocky player will see his improvement at this point and attribute this as him having some incredible innate talent to smash, and will truely believe that he will be at pro level within a month, or perhaps even a few weeks. Regardless of one's mindset, it is at this point is when people usually attend their first tournament, and that can make or break the player.

Lvl 40 - 52: Intermediate

I would gander to say that most competitive players fall into this category. At this point a player has pretty much hammered out all the low end stuff, has a good understanding of the higher level stuff, and is beginning to dabble into various "nuances" in play.

Level 53 - 66: Journeyman

Someone who has hit the plateau stage in their developement. At this point your progression comes to pretty much a halt, because the player has developed most of the tech skill he will ever have. The things that he is to learn is not clear-cut techniques as most of what is left to learn is abstract concepts such as observation and mindgames. Most of what is left to learn are simply nuances in play.

Level 67 - 80: Semi-Pro

Someone whom has progressed through several plateaus, and can see most of all the underlying things going on in matches. They can more easily gauge themselves in comparision of the pros cause they are at a high enough maturity to see the mastery that the pros have.

Level 80 - 93: Pro

Ones who have mastered pretty much all there is to know about their game. Their understanding of the game as well as how to manipulate players is incredible.

Level 94 -100: Super Pro

Even amongst pros there are some that stand out. This is the most exclusive class, as very very very few reach it. While I would have one feel positive about it, it might not be possible for some people to reach this level of play. Only a few have attained this level worldwide, and only a few will ever reach this stage.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I'm trying to think what the stats would be. I know three of them would be tech skill, endurance/stamina and mind games, but I'm unsure of the rest. Tech skill includes your ability to tech, L-cancel, or do any technical related thing, like wavedashing, short hop laser, or shinespiking in Melee (although won't in Brawl). Endurance/stamina would be your ability to play at your best during long matches or at tournaments. Mind Games is your ability to manipulate your opponent, or fear them into making mistake.

If you have any ideas on how I can improve this idea, please feel free to give me suggestions. Or you can say it sucks. Either way doesn't matter. =D

Prinkachu

Smash Cadet
I would say I'm in Lvl 30 but I could be lower, or higher, I'm not sure, I know all of the advanced techniques, my teching is good, I L.cancel almost without noticing, I can wavedash perfectly etc...
But I just don't use all those things (exept for L-cancel), maybe because I played for like 3 years without them, and I only went to 1 tourney in my entire life, and it was one of the lamest tourneys ever, there was only one person who played at a competitive level, the sad thing is that I played against him in my first match...

xbrinkx

Smash Ace
I think I may be around level 29. I'm a very hardcore fan, but I don't exactly understand completely all of this technical stuff. I can wavedash, dash dance and maybe some other stuff I don't know. I really want to learn, but I'm kinda at a barricade in my learning because I don't know how to do the skill or what the skill is that seperates a competitive smasher apart from a casual player. I don't live in a convenient spot for tournaments, but that doesn't mean I can't be competitive right?

Baka_Shade

Smash Apprentice
Heh, sounds less like a Smash RPG and more like a Smash Tamagotchi.

I feel like I'd be some sort of weird NPC. I'm pretty bad at the game itself, but I've got a pretty good understanding of stuff that goes on and I'm reasonably aware of the competitive environment.

Hero_of_Shadows

Smash Cadet
I'd guess I'm around 37-43. Once I have Brawl I predict I'll be playing alot more though, but I doubt I'll ever go over 52

smasher99

Smash Cadet
my power level is over 9000!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

OnyxVulpine

Smash Champion
Haha, I'd be like level 20, I'm that leet.

Seems interesting though I don't like taking part in these types of things.

-Onyx

ro0kie42

Smash Apprentice
I think you need a grandmaster level for the absolute best person (lvl 101). only one person can have it at a time, and when he is beat (through some kind of super official challenge), he goes back down to lvl 100 and the person who beat him is now lvl 101.

§leepy God

Smash Master
I have to say that I'm around the Super Pro level, due to me playing Smash a lot. I know how to do every trick in the book and my most favorite one, the thunder jacket.

Ban Heim

Smash Ace
I'd say I'm in the 67-80 level. I've been to tournies before and the only people who seem to beat me are the actual pros, and I can usually do decent against them, but I rarely win.

:034:

Smash Hero
I'm level 28. Only just exploring the Smash community and working on tech skill (which is lowered now due to the wait for Brawl).

Dublio

Smash Ace
Here are the 7 stats of a smasher. There are two physical stats, three mental stats, and two that belong to misc. The two physical are Stamina and Dexterity (Strength has no place in playing games silly!) The three mental states are Intelligence, Will power, and Perception. The last two are miscellanous stats that have nothing to do with Smash itself. Those two stats are Charisma and Luck. Read and review if you wish. Enjoy!

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

7 Statistics of Smash

Physical Stats------------------------

Stamina: Measure of how resilent a smasher is. Concerns their physical body, or most specifically their fingers. Stamina influences how long you will be able to play Brawl, or your finger's ability to play long matches without rest. Your ability to perform in tournaments. Similar to Willpower except it's physical instead of mental.

Ex: You're playing through a match. Halfway through, your fingers get tired and you begin to feel sluggish. This could be possible to a low stamina. Stamina can also be decreased if you are tired, stressed, hungry, etc.

Dexterity: In this case, determines how nimble your fingers are. Dexterity also refers to your tech skills. If you have a high dexterity, then your fingers will be able to pull off various hard manuevers such as wavedashing, L-canceling, or teching off ceilings and walls. Also includes your ability to punish mistakes.

Ex: You are playing in Hyrule Temple. You are at 150% and you happen to be a light character. If you have low dexterity, your fingers will not react fast enough when you are hit into the wall and you will bounce off and die. (unless you have high luck) If you had a high enough dexterity, perhaps your fingers could have reacted fast enough for you to tech off the wall and survive for a bit longer.

Mental Stats-------------------

Intelligence: A measure of a character's problem-solving ability. Also includes familiarity with the character you are playing, their movesets, and which moves to use at the correct time. Also includes ability to learn from past mistakes.

Ex: With a low intelligence, you will be very predictable, and be unable to learn from past mistakes. You may be easily punished for your mistakes and the combos you think up may not be effective at all.

Willpower: Measure of a smasher's mind resistance. The higher this is, the less likely you will fall to a opponent's mind games. This also determines your ability to perform steadily throughout matches, and your ability to shrug off your mistakes during matches.

Ex: With low willpower, you will get flustered easily if a opponent hits you with the same attack repeatedly or by any stupid tactic that shouldn't work normally. Like getting hit by the Warlock Punch.

Perception: The ability to be proactive. A measure of a character's openness of their surroundings. With a high perception ability, you will be able to analyze your opponents, certain tendencies they may have, their strengths and their weaknesses.

Ex: With low perception, you are considered a reactive player. Everything you do is on instinct. That is mostly a bad thing. Against someone else with low perception, you'll be fine, but against a high perception player, you will be read like a book and countered accordingly.

Other Stats--------------------

Charisma: Measure of a smasher's social skills or fear aura. This is not what it seems to be. With a high Charisma, when you fight weaker smashers, they may be awed by your presense and lose without even trying. If you are well known for being good, you may cause the opponent to lose confidence.

Ex: It's like fighting Ken in a tournament. If you realize it's Ken, you'll probably get flustered, go "oh ****", and lose. It's the difference between facing a well known pro and some random nobody.

Luck: Cannot be leveled up and is a skill that varies between different matches and against different players. Determines item spawning, and successes/failures.

Ex: With a low luck, you may sometimes fail to do moves at the right time, miss your moves, accidently suicide yourself, item spawns to your disadvantages, etc. With a high luck, items spawn to your advantage, moves work the way you want them to, and your opponent may whiff on their attacks, while all yours seem to hit.

rubinmarshak

Smash Apprentice
I consider myself level 60.

No, I don't use wavedashing or L canceling or anything like that, but I can still beat /anyone/ who challenges me at my school/town.

Only my stepfather has ever beaten me, and that was way back when the game first came out.

I actually don't attend tournaments; I've no way to get to them.
Wisconsin. Meh...

Gardex

Smash Lord
NNID
Gardex
3DS FC
2707-1617-4394
Eh.. 60?(Or some few levels lower)
I know the most techs like Wavedashing, L Canceling, edge guarding, shffl etc etc...

My problem is that I'm not too good to combine them.(Well. I'm getting there with Falco though)

But tell me. Is this really the right place to post this?

UltimateShinigami

Smash Journeyman
Currently in da StL, but home in Ft Lauderdale eve
I'm about 45-50. My luck can be extremely low sometimes and my willpower seems to decrease when playing one or 2 members in my crew. Dexterity isn't perfect either but passable

On another note, when Brawl comes out it will be similar to Fire Emblem games where your character's class changes, but they revert back to level one. The new class is stronger than the old one even though it has to begin leveling all over again.

Everyone will be level one when Brawl is released, but We, the returners will be class-up level ones, while new players will just be normal level 1's. We will then have to start learning all the physics, tactics, and movesets of Brawl in order to reach and/or surpass our current melee levels

Dublio

Smash Ace
That's a good comparison UltimateShinigami. I never thought of Fire Emblem although I play the games so I know what you're speaking about.

Also, Gardex I wasn't sure where to post this exactly. Maybe I should have put it in the general discussion board?

Dublio

Smash Ace
I mentioned in the first thread that this was for Brawl but everyone assumed it was for Melee. Not a big deal, it could be applied to both. With your idea though, it makes it easier to explain that it's for Brawl lol.

Top Bottom