• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Brawl Picks #2: Lyn vs Hector

Who is your brawl pick?

• Lyn

Votes: 60 54.5%
  • Hector

Votes: 50 45.5%

• Total voters

Jazzy Jinx

♥♪!?
Alright, here is the second match-up: Lyn vs Hector.

Fire Emblem is one of Nintendo's more prominent series and it would only make sense that they should gain heavier representation this time around. Especially since it is highly likely that one or even both of the current FE characters may be cut in favor of characters filled with more variety.

I'd also like to take this moment to announce that I'll be holding these polls on Mondays, Wednesdays, and Saturdays. Just a head's up.

Name: Lyn
Series: Fire Emblem Series
Party: First Party
Role: Major Character
Details: She was one of three lords in Fire Emblem. As a female, she would already make an excellent addition to Brawl but another thing is that she would be the first female swordsman as well. She has a different stance from Roy and Marth which makes for an interesting moveset. I can see her as a speedy character with long range but easily flung.

Name: Hector
Series: Fire Emblem Series
Party: First Party
Role: Major Character
Details: He was one of three lords in Fire Emblem. Sure, he’s yet another male character but he has that axe which would bring a new aspect of fighting to the game. Instead of the usual sword, he would be the first axe user to be included in Brawl. Probably a powerful but slow character.

Well, there you go. Have fun on this one.

Copperpot

Smash Ace
I voted Hector.

While Lyn is a female character, which would help to distribute the gender ratio a bit, I think Hector has more to bring to the table. As an axe wielder, he'd be able to supply that heavy character role with fairly quick attacks and decent power (something that a lot of people wish Bowser could do).

Maybe I'm just biased, because I tend to favor heavy characters like Bowser, who I play as almost as much as my main (my second main, maybe?). They add to the overall character diversity of the game, and if any of the heavy characters from Melee don't return, it will be something that is gravely needed..

Meta_Owns_Ur_Dad

Smash Ace
We do already have a swift swordsman (Metaknight) BUT he is small, so I'd like in in normal size, i choose Lyn. Besides, another girl won't hurt too.

H-Rob

Smash Rookie
I voted Hector because not only is he the best lord in the game but having and axe user
in SSBB would show more variety from the other disjointed Hit box characters.

Catalyst

Smash Rookie
Although Hector looks awesome, I'd much rather have another female character added to the roster, instead of another male.

Copperpot

Smash Ace
It could just be me, but I find that gender difference is a very weak argument to include one character over another (discriminatory issues aside). After all, the vast majority of video game characters are (or appear to be) male. Why would someone throw away good ideas just to spite statistics?

Jazzy Jinx

♥♪!?
Thing is, Lyn would be even faster than Marth which is why I support her more. That, and I dislike slow characters, but that is just me.

How often do you see female swordsmen? Not very and Lyn just so happens to be one of the more popular female swordsmen that actually stand a chance to get in Brawl. I like variety as much as the next guy but diversity is also a must.

Once again, I support both characters on the poll but I support Lyn moreso than Hector. However, if this other character I'm thinking about makes it in, I could see my way into forgetting about Lyn easilly and supporting Hector instead.

That character being Captain Syrup. Though she is very unlikely...

Keitaro

Banned via Administration
Who the hell voted Hector?! lol! I'd perfer a more Marth type player and Lyn looks cool as hell for a girl. She'd definitely be one of my first choices.

Copperpot

Smash Ace
There has to be slow characters to off-set the fast ones. If characters just keep getting faster and faster, without slow characters to balance it out, the game slowly (no pun intended) turns into a DBZ clone.

It's an exaggeration, I know. But, eventually it'd be a matter of 'whoever picks the fastest character wins', which shouldn't be the case.

Not that I'd play as Lyn or Hector either way, I'm just trying to open your eyes to the wide-world of heavy Smash Bros characters. :p

Jazzy Jinx

♥♪!?
@Copperpot: Since I already support both characters and my support goes to Lyn more, I'm going to have to tell you that nothing you say is going to sway my opinion. Once you support both characters, only bias remains as the thing that defines your support.

I'm not saying Hector is a bad character. I like them both.

MarsBitrona

Smash Apprentice
The only thing I want them to add more than more female characters is a guy with an axe.

Hector wins.

Copperpot

Smash Ace
Point taken. Here's hoping that we can have a match sometime in online Brawl: my heavy hitter against your fast character. :p

I can understand a strong bias against the heavy characters, though. They've been pretty poorly represented in Melee. Three cheers for some improvements to the larger ones!

Red_Maniac

Smash Lord
NNID
SeeJayC
Hmm... I've never played Fire Emblem, but I'm going to have to vote for Hector.

Because he has an axe.

NukeA6

Smash Master
Even though Want a lord who doesn't a sword, I prefer Lyn because we can have Ayra pallette (like Daisy to Peach) and vice-versa. It's because Ayra is my favorite FE character.

Drascin

Smash Journeyman
I played FE7. I loved Lyn: fast, precise, and a personality that made me have her always in the party, in the offchance she said something. Hector was an idot: a lovable idiot, but an idiot nonetheless. My choice is clear. Go Lyndis!

Wiseguy

Smash Champion
This is a tough one. I don't really expect any of the GBA characters to make it due to the fact that their games were poorly recieved in Japan. I'll vote hector because his axe makes him a more unique addition to the roster.

LukeFonFabre

Smash Lord
I went for Lyn. Yeah, I know Hector uses an axe and ther eare other sword users, but I feel Lyn can easily be different from the other swordsman. Axe users really haven't interested me in FE, and personally don't think I'd use Hector if he got. If Lyn got in on the other hand, I feel like I'd use her all the time, as chances asre she'd compliment my style better.

That and I prefer Lyn to Hector (as well as many other FE lords) so I do hold a lot of personal bias for her.

D

Deleted member

Hector. He has an axe, and heck, we need more of those.

Oh, check my Hector thread, eh?

Bowserlick

Smash Hero
I would be sorely disappointed if either managed to sneak in. FE should be represented, but it really only needs one figurehead (eithe Marth or Ike). Basing every attack on one weapon is boring (especially when they are human). One character already monopolizes this field. (Marth) .

See Marth represents FE well. Strategy based. You can use your counter, use the advantage of your sword (the tip), work together combos (toward B), ect. But any more characters from this game starts bleding into the same territory. And frankly there are characters with swords that have more pizazz and represent other series (Issac from Golden Sun).

Phaazoid

Basket
NNID
Mr.Grike
3DS FC
4854-6444-0859
@bowserlick
i disagree. i think the GBA FE should have more rep, and since 6 (my favorite) seems to have no voice here, 7 is the way to go, and ike in as well.

SubparSmashBrother

Smash Ace
It could just be me, but I find that gender difference is a very weak argument to include one character over another (discriminatory issues aside). After all, the vast majority of video game characters are (or appear to be) male. Why would someone throw away good ideas just to spite statistics?
Yeah, to me it'd be just like saying "We don't have enough brown-haired characters!!!" or "We need more blue characters!!!".

That said, I voted Hector because I like him better.

TaurToph

Smash Journeyman
She is female.
She is pretty.
She can use a sword and a bow.
She have the more ****in awesome fighting style i've ever seen.

Give-me Lyndis or give-me death!

Private Zulen

Smash Apprentice
Hector would essentially be a bulkier Marth. Then again, Hector is already a bulky Marth in the games, just like Eliwood being Roy.

Only gay.

bloodvayne

Smash Apprentice
Im voting Hector, but I wasn't joking last time, these polls definitely need a neither option, or they honestly can't be taken seriously

Optimus

Smash Rookie
I voted Hector, mainly because of the lack of non sword users. I mean, I like Lyn, she was great in FE 6, but Hector wins on two things: Power, Axe Wielding Awesome. I know more girls would be nice, but more of a variety in weapons is nice too.

Phaazoid

Basket
NNID
Mr.Grike
3DS FC
4854-6444-0859
ooooh, tied. the suspense. i don't know who to vote for anymore, after Mcfoxes point.

@optimus
welcome to smashboards.vv

HylianCricket

Smash Rookie
Honestly, I like Hector but I find the idea of having Lyn in Brawl to be much more interesting. But that's just me and my two cents.

Top Bottom