• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Brawl on my PC Monitor?

ShortAssassin

Smash Journeyman
Since Brawl will be Wifi compatible and I'll likely be playing with my friends online a lot or setting up matches through leagues such as WifiWars, I'm interested in hooking up my Wii to my PC monitor so that I can use AIM or find matches through leagues without having to run from room to room (no TV in the room where my PC is). My monitor doesn't have component cable connections but it seems like a converter like this would do the trick:

http://www.play-asia.com/paOS-13-71-zp-49-en-70-2jp6.html

Does anyone have any experience with connecting a Wii to a PC monitor?

Not going to be easy (or fun).
If you wanted to run Brawl and your AIM on the same screen, this is what you're looking at:
A lot of lag and some hard installation. Generally has lag on computer screens.
Some options:
Tuner Cards with RCA jacks A pretty good option, but has lag.
http://www.x2vga.com/ That is a high definition transcoder that'll play it on your screen. Still sucks.
You also could try to find a basic RCA to monitor jack but then you won't be able to see your AIM.
In short: I wouldn't attempt doing this at all.
EDIT: Gamebridge O RLY? I haven't tried it out but ignore all the old options I just posted. It's probably better, but depending on your computer it could have lag, even if it says it doesn't.

ShortAssassin

Smash Journeyman
Well, I'm not trying to view them at the same time per say. What I'd like to be able to do is switch between them. So, hook up my Wii, play a match, unplug my Wii or flip a switch to return to my PC view, talk or whatever, rinse and repeat.

Cintdrix

Smash Rookie
I'm also thinking about doing this, I was looking at a vga cable (this one http://www.vdigi.com/index.php?page...ufacturer_id=0&option=com_virtuemart&Itemid=1) . Depending on your monitor you might have a VGA and DVI input. On mine i have both, so my PC is in my DVI and my (currently xbox 360, would be wii) is hooked up to the VGA. A few menu swaps on the monitor switch inputs and its little hassle at all. Check your monitor to see if you can do that

edit: the one you were looking at seems like it would be fine though, and it's cheaper

ShortAssassin

Smash Journeyman
I'm also thinking about doing this, I was looking at a vga cable (this one http://www.vdigi.com/index.php?page...ufacturer_id=0&option=com_virtuemart&Itemid=1) . Depending on your monitor you might have a VGA and DVI input. On mine i have both, so my PC is in my DVI and my (currently xbox 360, would be wii) is hooked up to the VGA. A few menu swaps on the monitor switch inputs and its little hassle at all. Check your monitor to see if you can do that
I was actually messing with input switching just now. It appears I can switch between two options. One shows up as "Analog Input" and the other, which is what my PC is accessing is "Digital Input." So hopefully I would be able to just press the button on my monitor to switch.

hotgarbage

Smash Lord
Just posting to say that Cintdrix is right on the money. It sounds like your setup is good to go really, all you need is the Wii VGA(analog) cable. Good luck!

sliceblader

Smash Cadet
I have composite cables in the back of my comp any way i can use them to play my Wii on so i can do the same as Short Assassin?

Rash

Smash Ace
I actually bought a Gamebridge so that I could play Brawl in my dorm without having to drag my TV from home in. It should be adequate enough. I just hope that I can play Brawl in widecreen mode (considering that my laptop has a wide screen).

ShortFuse

Smash Lord
If you want it windowed, get a video capture device. There will be some sort of lag. This is unavoidable. I believe Adapter Gamebridge has the least amount of lag of the USB ones. PCI ones are better though in some cases.

If you want it on your monitor, and make your monitor act as a TV, get a Component to VGA converter. It's somewhere around $30-60, but you'll have to use a converter to get your audio to work (RCA to 1/8"). You can switch. I do this with my x360 on one of my computers. I have a 20" monitor that has DVI and VGA. My 360 is on VGA and my computer is on DVI. My main screen, 42", has the DVI to computer, vga to xbox and component to Wii, but now I'm just bragging. :-P

Capture cards will be SVideo/Composite, 480i meaning 30fps. VGA converter will be 60fps 480p.

ShortAssassin

Smash Journeyman
If you want it on your monitor, and make your monitor act as a TV, get a Component to VGA converter. It's somewhere around $30-60, but you'll have to use a converter to get your audio to work (RCA to 1/8"). You can switch. I do this with my x360 on one of my computers. I have a 20" monitor that has DVI and VGA. My 360 is on VGA and my computer is on DVI. My main screen, 42", has the DVI to computer, vga to xbox and component to Wii, but now I'm just bragging. :-P
Lol, well I ended up buying the cables I linked in my first post. From my research it seems like everything should work out fine. I'll be able to switch with a simple press of a button on my monitor and hopefully lag won't be an issue.

Coolbgdog

Smash Rookie
I use vdigi's vga cable and it works great. At first most of my wii games doesn't fill up the whole screen since they're 16:9 but brawl fills teh whole screen despite the monitor being a 16:10 monitor.

Evelgest

Smash Apprentice
The Gamebridge should work fine. The Gamebridge uses Intervideo Home Theater, which you can minimize when it is open. I play my 360 through my laptop, and I minimize the application when a friend instant messages me. It doesn't lag, at least I don't notice any lag. The sound quality is a little iffy, but the gamebridge is cheap and easily installed. It works with Vista, despite what some will say. I know it does, because my OS is Vista..

hotgarbage

Smash Lord
I have composite cables in the back of my comp any way i can use them to play my Wii on so i can do the same as Short Assassin?
You can, but as NitrousFlare said there is a difference between hooking your Wii up to your computer and hooking it up directly to your monitor. Hooking it up to your comp will probably result in some noticeable lag.... but the only way to be sure is to test it!

Lol, well I ended up buying the cables I linked in my first post. From my research it seems like everything should work out fine. I'll be able to switch with a simple press of a button on my monitor and hopefully lag won't be an issue.
Aye, using a component to vga converter and those cables are just two different ways to meet the same end. Either way you're converting a component signal into a vga signal.

I forgot to mention though; to hook up the red and white ends (RCA connection) on the Wii cable to your computer speakers(3.5mm connection) you'll need a RCA -> 3.5mm adapter (as Shortfuse said). My Vdigi cables came with one, but I'm not sure if those cables from Playasia will.

In case they don't (they probably will),you can find the adapter here: https://www.monoprice.com/products/...id=1021804&p_id=666&seq=1&format=1#largeimage

And depending on your speakers you may need a coupler: http://www.monoprice.com/products/p...id=1040109&p_id=678&seq=1&format=1#largeimage

I hope that made sense. This stuff is pretty confusing :dizzy:

EDIT: oh yea, you can find the adapter and coupler at radioshack if that suits you better.

ShortAssassin

Smash Journeyman
Well, I've got my cables and my Wii...and I'm having no luck. When I switch to analog input on my monitor it says that it is in powersave mode, and I can't seem to get out of it. Any ideas?

ShortAssassin

Smash Journeyman
Bump.

When the Wii isn't plugged in and I switch to analog it has some self check feature running, but as soon as I plug the Wii in it says it's in power saving mode.

Conda

aka COBBS - Content Creator (Toronto region)
I'm getting the vdigi VGA cable. That's what you need to treat your monitor as a TV. Anything else is prone to software problems, like lag and the things you seem to be mentioning.

ShortAssassin

Smash Journeyman
I'm getting the vdigi VGA cable. That's what you need to treat your monitor as a TV. Anything else is prone to software problems, like lag and the things you seem to be mentioning.
Well, I have the Mayflash cables, which seem to be almost the exact same thing as the VDigi cables. The problem seems to be with my monitor, not the cables.

Top Bottom