• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Brawl Observations--Yoshi

Chaco

Never Logs In
I have noticed drastic changes in the brawl community lately, even though TR4Q, I don't see MK being at the top for long. I see Diddy taking his spot, and becoming number 1. Because of people like Ninja Link who are building up his rep. I mean a guy beats Azen with any character, that character gets attention. So we need a Yoshi to beat Azen. jk jk But it would be cool.

Also further on, I have noticed people actually respecting Yoshi. ZOMG Yeah, that's right....respect for Yoshi. It kinda sways their opinion when you two stock them. ^_^

But all in all, I think Yoshi can be higher up. I'm ready for all outside char flaming...it happens...

@Scat: THe tournament I might hold...might have Chu at it. So it would be awesome to have three Yoshi mains there.

Same goes for any of you people. I live in Tennessee in Chatt, if you wanna come when I announce it, (it is only an idea at this point) hop on it. Oooh Pride could bring Les. =O XD

D

Deleted member

Uhhh diddy isnt gonna get anywhere near MK. Just cuz someone beats azen doesnt mean that the character is top tier xD

Also, i see yoshi being mid mid tier, thats about it. Hes certainly viable, and unlike most u can go all yoshi and win a tournament imo.

bigman40

Smash Master
I can't go anywhere now. I'm at college with no car (has to get serviced and we don't have the money right now). My friends and I are planning to host some tournies at my college, so we could hopefully help in the tiers if we can get a good turnout.

Mmac

Smash Lord
I'm still stuck on this stupid Island and my friends suck! Although I could go to Victoria for a tournament, but I hate driving there!

Kress

Smash Rookie
Do you really think that beating a player will make everyone look at yoshi? I dont think so :S, they'll look at the yoshi user....
...anyways, I agree with ya, 7 months ago, ppl were blaming yoshi so bad that I never came back here. Now, 4 weeks ago, when I came back again, I noticed that yoshi's no longer being, um, underrated, I'd say.

SOVAman

Smash Hero
I have played chu I have played Azen and other top pros I don't win that much specifically Azen he 2 stocked me during a friendly but in NoVA there is a lot of very very good players and the best I have done is 9th place I am going to another tourney next Saturday on the 23rd lets see how I do I will post my result on the tourney results tread hopefully I place good and earn some respect for Yoshi.

I am slowly making a name for my self nothing yet though:(

Chaco

Never Logs In
Stocky: I mean that DK is getting alot better...he has the potential to be the most broken character. And I just used NL as an example...

Gindler

Smash Champion
I can't see Diddy ever being broken. He has 1 kill move (yep, less than yoshi even). He is the most annoying opponent I have fought because of the stupid bananas.

Scala

Smash Ace
nope, diddy can totally become the best of the best. He racks up damage REALLY fast, and when he's racking up damage, his opponent is usually getting the **** comboed out of him. uair, fair, bair, dsmash and fsmash all kill around 150. fsmash is especially easy to connect since glide-toss to fsmash works wonders.

Gindler

Smash Champion
I do admit that the glide toss to Fsmash is both sexy and effective. But often times I have DIed out of it before the 2nd and good hit, maybe it was bad spacing by the diddy? But yeah he can become the best just require ALOT of work, i think bananas stop tornado, that alone puts you in high tier. I still think tripping because a banana hits your head is kinda stupid, i mean laying on the ground I understand, but pegged in the head?

Mmac

Smash Lord
From what I heard from NinjaLink, Yoshi slides back the 2nd farthest when getting hit by a Banana. That maybe a factor on as why you DI so easily Gindler.

I always thought Diddy Kong was a great character ever since the beginning of brawl, but I can't see him being the best

Scala

Smash Ace
From what I heard from NinjaLink, Yoshi slides back the 2nd farthest when getting hit by a Banana. That maybe a factor on as why you DI so easily Scala.

I always thought Diddy Kong was a great character ever since the beginning of brawl, but I can't see him being the best
I don't remember saying anything about DI :dizzy:

Chaco

Never Logs In
XP

But yeah, Diddy has the potential. If a Diddy can use his bananas good enough...one will be royally ****ed.

And plus...diddy is sweeet ***.

Gindler

Smash Champion
Ahhhh, I guess that would help getting away from the 2nd hit.

Aren't bananas worthless against Jiggz? I guess if it comes down to it I might have to secondary her.

Mmac

Smash Lord
This is turning less into a "Lets go to Tournaments!" and more of "Lets talk about Diddy!" Thread.....

Chaco

Never Logs In
Let's go to tournaments.

XD But in all seriousness, we need a Yoshi location thread and FC thread, with Yoshi tournaments. i mean held by Yoshi mains. If we could flock 3 per tourney we would have it good.

Kiwikomix

Smash Ace
It would be interesting to have a Yoshi finder, but the problem with those is that, unless updated around once a month, they tend to get terribly out of date and inaccurate. So far I've managed to get by on sort of a rudimentary kind of knowledge of which Yoshis are where... Bwett is in TX, Scat, Chaco, Gindler and Lil'B are in the Southeast, Stocky is in Cali, Mmac's in Canada, Pride's in New England, Scala and I are reppin' the MW, etc.

Scala

Smash Ace
Actually I've convinced someone to pick up Yoshi (at least as a secondary) and we might start doing yoshi teams together. With your our powers combined, I am CAPTAIN PLANET we will kick some butt in doubles.

Shiri

Smash Chump
:yoshi: Diddy is annoying at best. Nothing will top Meta Knight.

Nothing can top Meta Knight. He's the only character in the game that's engineered to win.

If anybody has the potential to topple Snake, I think Diddy might be up there. Maybe. Mr. Game and Watch can definitely move up to the number two spot, for sure. Nothing can or will stop Meta Knight, though. It's just a matter of course.

Yoshi, I think, is going to get a fair shake this time around from the movers and shakers of the Smash community. Maybe not the general public, but mostly the people who make those tier list things. I don't think we'll need a supermain this time around to have as proof that Yoshi is viable (i.e., Bringer, Fumi, Svampen); he has plenty of pure-facts moves and matchups that just lend to him being a decent character, whether people are ready to believe it or not.

D

Deleted member

:yoshi: Diddy is annoying at best. Nothing will top Meta Knight.

Nothing can top Meta Knight. He's the only character in the game that's engineered to win.

If anybody has the potential to topple Snake, I think Diddy might be up there. Maybe. Mr. Game and Watch can definitely move up to the number two spot, for sure. Nothing can or will stop Meta Knight, though. It's just a matter of course.

Yoshi, I think, is going to get a fair shake this time around from the movers and shakers of the Smash community. Maybe not the general public, but mostly the people who make those tier list things. I don't think we'll need a supermain this time around to have as proof that Yoshi is viable (i.e., Bringer, Fumi, Svampen); he has plenty of pure-facts moves and matchups that just lend to him being a decent character, whether people are ready to believe it or not.
Shiri knows whats up.

If diddy EVER tops MK, ill quit smash and go play scrabble(which is pretty fun, id play that competatively xD). Unless theres a new super discovery or somethin =/

SOVAman

Smash Hero
If I had money, I would totally come to visit some of yall. Are there any Yoshi mains in Oklahoma or Louisiana?
You can come to NoVA and we can be one **** good Yoshi team :chuckle:

And also I am going to try to team with a very good DK main (the one I versus in my vids.)in my next tournament. How does that sound you think its a good combination?

Scala

Smash Ace
I think it's only a matter of time before meta is banned. Can't wait.

And also I am going to try to team with a very good DK main (the one I versus in my vids.)in my next tournament. How does that sound you think its a good combination?
Yeah, that's a great combo since yoshi racks up the damage and DK just flaps his arms around getting kills.

PRiDE

Smash Lord
<=== beat ninja link in tourn with yoshi. Did not want to use diddy on any stage but FD. so BAN fd...

Meta Dude

Smash Rookie
i think what people don't realize is that once you start playing at a certain level (professionally, in particular) character choice doesn't mean anything if the player isn't an all around good smasher. knowing the character you main inside and out is a must, when to do what moves and so on and so forth (and knowing you're opponents character becomes equally as important). i think a good knowledge of basics, like spot dodging and timing, spacing, all those things are what makes a player really, really good.

this is just my opinion looking from the outside in, i'm not a pro smasher AT ALL and i have no intention on becoming oner. hell, my winning average during the ditto tournament was like .500, for what it's worth.

IMO mk will stay top tier, he's just one of those characters that gives everyone problems up close, and i think a yoshi playing against a mk has to do more thinking than the mk player he's playing against. i don't think diddy is a better character than mk, but he'll be floating around the top for awhile. but that's just my opinion, and i could be wrong.

Talazala

Smash Journeyman
Philadelphia is a major city in the U.S., so I'm expecting tourneys to be held there. Is it correct to assume major cities have Brawl tournaments? I wanna go to tournies so badly...

SOVAman

Smash Hero
Major cities don't usually host the tournaments its usually the suburbs around the city. I live next to DC and B-more and the tourneys are held in Ashburn, Colombia, and Syksville. I don't know if thats true everywhere but its true around here.

Gindler

Smash Champion
Yeah, I don't think the actual city or Orlando hosts any tournaments. But UCF is just outside it and there are tournaments around there often. I think tournaments are always near colleges since thousands of kids are all in close quarters.

Chaco

Never Logs In
My closest is scat...and neither of us can travel far....

But anyways, more Yoshi talk now.

I honestly think it wouldn't be hard for me to win TN tournaments with my new Yoshi. I'm using him against all types now and getting alot of experience while doing so...I've asked other TN players for friendlies finally....and after I try playing these guys I'll know for sure if I can rep Yoshi properly.

Gindler

Smash Champion
I have a quick question about yoshi. how essential is the gliding egg toss to yoshi's game? I do pretty decent without using it as i'm one of those not many eggs yoshi's but always lookin' to get better.

Chaco

Never Logs In
Eggs are a key staple to Yoshi. And ETS is just a great way to exploit the uses of eggs. I mainly use ETS as a defense mechanism. But overall a fairly good thing to know.

Top Bottom