• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Brawl + Melee tournaments, Surrey England! Early info.

Ey3 Contactz

Smash Rookie
Hey everyone, I'm currently working on getting a tournament started at a gaming lounge where I work, smash bros is an ideal game for competition as I have read of some threads.

www.myspace.com/consolelounge | Use the myspace because I'm currently building the website.

Also I was wondering if anyone could give me some information on smash tournaments before I host it 100%.

If the first one goes well we will do more ;D

Cash prize is more than likely =)

If you are interested in helping me host this with obviously the popular game setups and banning of glitches and stage blah blah lol please it would help. Give me your msn in a msg and I will contact you as a partner through there.

Fuzzyness

The Reality!
I say let kone do it =P, experience is greater for the first brawl tournament and you'd prob learn from it yourself.

Brawls only been out for 2 weeks so not much is known as for glitches etc

FrostByte

Smash Lord
If we have a venue that's easily accessible, I say why not do it? We could have proper monthlies/bi-monthlies there. Revival of the SMT (Surrey mini tourney) that will hopefully live past 2 months...

PDOT

Smash Lord
3DS FC
4871-5506-0357
If we have a venue that's easily accessible, I say why not do it? We could have proper monthlies/bi-monthlies there. Revival of the SMT (Surrey mini tourney) that will hopefully live past 2 months...
i agree with 99.7% of this post.

Ey3 Contactz

Smash Rookie
Okay... well...

Well currently at work we are deciding on having a season thing to go along with all the tournys for different games, for example like if you win etc you get points so it basically tags up on our leaderboards.

Monthlys sounds good and as it's a place perfect for tournys instead of someones house hmm? lol.

Give it a few more days or possibly a week and we will have something to sort out officially and I will make a thread with all location and setups on the game.. =)

J03

Smash Master
good tourneys are hard to do, alright mengz

basically your a new guy, you ever been to a tourney? the answer is no. so come along to one and see how they flow, no-one will attend a tourney you host. not yet. you need exp, so get some. its not meant to be offensive its just fact. your asking 40+ to take a risk. its not even that simple. theres travel costs, food costs, housing costs and tourney money. im telling you straight i wouldnt go, and ive not missed a tourney in the last 2 years. its not worth the risk over the expense. so pipe along to a tourney. ED (newcastle is a pro at hosting, and theres some boyos in scouse-land that can do it all). no offense but were not short for tourneys so we have no need to take an risk on an experienced new guy. sorry.

theres a tourney in liverpool on the 5th of April come to it.

J03

Smash Master
lol. dont say its a one day thing. if im travelling god knows how many hours im gonna need some practice and rest to be able to bring my A game. thats why its commonplace to arrive the night before, and most well run tourneys run till late so some people wont be able to return the same night.

worst case scenario youll need housing for 40 people for 2 nights.

Kone

Smash Master
Uhm, ill pick up from joe but take a nicer tone ;).

Tournaments in the UK have been running for approximately the last four years. They've been ran, all of them, independently by a member of the UK smash community. This usually involves them arranging housing for everyone and finding a suitable venue to hose their tournament. Be it in their own home (rarely) or a community centre/church hall/social club. Very few hosts have managed to run successful tournaments. Turnout is usually dependant on location of tournament and reputation of the host.

Reputation is usually gained by being a member of the community. This includes being a active intelligent poster and turning upto tournaments. As joe said, people wont travel somewhere if they dont know the host.

Location of the tournament is also important. The Uk smash scene has roughly 40-50 smashers. Of which 30 turnout for each tournament depending on the venue. eg a tournament in liverpool will have most the northern community turnout and one in London vice versa. Also, 20 + of the turnout will have travelled beadth of the country. Therefore, housing is a main issue.

Basically, you need housing and to be know to run a good tourney. Smashers then will turn up. Id lv it if you were able to run frequent tourneys, but until either you can manage housing or brawl hits (where the uk will have more smashers) then its not going to happen :./

Ey3 Contactz

Smash Rookie
Well the housing and stuff I'm sure my boss can sort out something, as for tournaments we've run plenty of halo 3 tournaments in our area as we've had people from Nottingham and bristol etc come down, to be honest we've never had anyone ask for "housing" lol because most people who do turn up to the tournaments are from the area or not too far for travel.

But again you can so call me the "message boy" for advertising, so if housing is so much of a concern, we'd actually have it be a 2 or 3 if need be days, first day being free practice etc.

If there is any information needed hitup the myspace above.

Kone: As you said not knowing the host, it's an actual shop which runs tournaments and daily pay to play gaming. So I don't think knowing the "host" is so much of a concern it isn't a house where we will **** you =/ lool.

One more thing, how many brawl + Wii's will be needed?

Amea

Smash Cadet
Ahh!! console lounge ey! i was in croydon just the other day in the small electrical shop that sells import games and anime merchandise, they gave me your leaflet.

However the first thing i did ask was if they were hosting any Brawl tournaments, he said he didn't know. Alternatively i must say i was shocked by the amount of Xbox360's, PS3's and HORRENDOUS LACK of wii's, one wii at the venue to be precise is what the leaflet stated, this may or may not be your choosing again i do not know. But i was considering giving the venue a visit....if they had Brawl.

SIDENOTE: I have just signed up but have been lurking for a while now, I own SSBX and Played/play SSBM for many years and have seriously enjoyed it. More to the point if anyone has BRAWL i believe my user info has my wii-code and Brawl wi-fi code so if anyone has the game and is interested in getting Brawled by my D3*cough cough* the you are all more then welcome!

Regards,
Amea

Bristols_link64

Smash Cadet
Oh so this is where you posted about this. I will go to this thing if i can get the time off work to do it.

I did sign up here awhile ago but forgot until you told me about this tourny xD. I expect ill lurk about here for awhile now

GAwes

Hidden Boss
the concern of the host isn't so much "getting ****ed" as it is said host running a really ****ty tournament. To be honest, and i may not be the biggest expert on UK smash as i just moved here 6 months ago, but if you are looking to turn a profit, not that there is anything wrong with that, with a smash tournament in the UK, you are sadly sadly mistaken. I run a lot of my tournaments back in Atlanta at an amazing place called xplaygrounds, they take a percentage out of the pot, but for the set up they have its worth it. Like ed (kone) was saying, most tournaments in the UK are underground (i.e., ran by individual players) because here there is not enough smashers to run it as a business. The scene is simply not competitive enough. Sad to say, but purely true. Putting anyone out of their way in this country is going to lead to an absolute horrid turnout so in turn, unless im completely wrong on this situation, this tournament will not be worth your store being closed for even one day, much less 3. This is taking into account the current population of smashers though. Maybe you would get load of locals and it would be worth it, not too sure, most of this opinion is based on the "good" players of britain. But, as Kone said, brawl will change everything, so i guess it depends partially on when you'd want to do this. None of this is meant to be negative though, as with everyone else the more tournaments the better, just dont want you (or whomever is above you) getting pissed because it turns out its not a viable option to make money. So i guess just keep the boards informed! peace out

GAwes

Kone

Smash Master
eye you sound like a prick. Im trying to give you advice as the most experienced hoster of UK tournaments. Dont come on to a forum looking to try host tournaments without learning your audience :/

Professor Pro

Smash Legend
No need to be so harsh lol... Stick with me Ey3, im known as the kindest, friendliest and most helpful around these places. Try not to get involved with the people with big egos and who act cocky iswell.

nesstee

Smash Apprentice
Top Bottom