• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Brawl+ Kirby

CountKaiser

Smash Lord
Dthrow sets up tech chases?

It pops them up, it sets up for Utilt and Uair combos, and thats at low percents. Mid percents the only thing hitting people will probably be uair, and they may be able to jump out of it.

GHNeko

Sega Stockholm Syndrome.
NNID
GHNeko
Honestly if you get hit by Kirby's dair on the ground to get comboed into fsmash then give up on this game lol.
>implying that you can reliably avoid a Kirby dair against someone who knows what the hell they're doing.

>implying that kirby has no frame traps from dair to lead into really potent strings.

epiclaugh.gif

Dairs so easy to see coming...
That doesn't mean you don't get hit by them never.

I already said bair was a good move also.
It's his best move imo.

Kirby's too slow to really catch you offstage effectively and hit you with dair.
Bair > Dair imo. Proper usage of BOTH moves ***** a lot of recoveries and reduces the amount of potential options you have if you're knocked of stage well enough for these moves to work okay. Sure they have holes in them, but its nothing you can simply shrug off.

Kirby copy abilities are completely situational along with kirbycides.
1. Situationa, but effective based on the MU. Copy isnt hard to use on stage. Kirbycides are harder, but they still happen, even in high level play. So it's not something you can simply disregard. Like Marth shieldbreaker. Situational, but it still happens in all levels of play.

His fsmash is good but yet again it's easy to see coming and hard to combo into.
You can't really combo into Fsmash, but that's not what's good about it. The speed, how long the hitbox lingers, the shield push, and the sheer power of this move makes this move pretty ****. And if it so happens to catch you off guard, you'll most certainly die and earlier death or give Kirby an easy as hell edgehog.

Almost everybody has a good recovery so that's not really some Kirby exclusive advantage.
1. That is so not true.
2. Kirby's recovery is STILL in the upper spectrum of recovery effectiveness.

The only decent throw is dthrow and with good DI it's effectiveness is very limited and it doesn't help that it was nerfed from 6.0 to gold.
This dude still has guaranteed throw combos from 0% with a decent grab range to boot. His throw game is okay.

So once again I will state my point that Kirby has nothing reliable about him and is much less effective then just about the whole cast. Everything about him is situational.
I disagree with you whole heartily. If you call his moveset situational, pretty much most of the character's movesets are situational.

leafbarrett

Smash Lord
All I've got to say is:
If all his moves are situational, then there's bound to be a move for nearly every situation.

RiteToRmnSilent

Smash Cadet
well ill just say this B air is such a potent move it stops a lot of chars approaches. U Tilt is amazing and combos well. D tilt Trips and Leads to F Smash. F Tilt is an amazing Spacing Tool and Shield Pressure Tool.

Kirby has one of the most Dangerous off stage games. Its ridiculous to think that he is out classed by most of the cast. Anyone with a Terrible to Decent recovery gets wrecked by Kirby. That being said he does have some terrible Match ups. MK is definitely not one of them.

F Throw is a great Tech chase tool at low percentages and D throw is good for Tech chase at Medium percentages. Up throw can be used on Tricky Stages to get Fairly Low percentage Kills. B throw isn't all that useful without Terrible DI. Did I mention D air is insanely Good. Oh and Fair is a combo Machine.

God I can go on for Days about how not bad Kirby is. He is Mediocre, maybe a little better than that, but he is definitely not bad.

Also I dont really see how these points are situational. They seem pretty **** valid if you ask me.
I already acknowledged that bair is a good move, along with dair and fsmash if you can actually hit with them. Catching somebody offguard to hit them with fsmash or dair isn't exactly easy in high level play. I'm just saying that he doesn't have a reliable tactic to staple his moveset together. Yes he can edgeguard, but he is outclassed by other characters with similar edgequarding capabilities like DDD, MK, Luigi, Jiggly, etc...His grab range is good, just his throws are not so much except for dthrow. Fair comboes, but then at mid to high percents it quickly becomes rather useless. Once your opponent is at mid to high percents you pretty much rely on a surprise attack like dair, fsmash or usmash to get the kill, unless you can get them offstage and bair them. Look I'm not saying hes useless. His problem is he has no consistent moves like Marth fair&utilt, DDD dair, Falcon nair, Jiggly bair&fair etc...just to name a few, to set up a kill and or combo across a broad range of percents. One exception being bair for walling or edgeguarding, and even then it's not incredible. Another problem with him is that he doesn't excel at anything or do anything better then anyone else. Hes mediocre at almost every level. He does have a high end recovery, I will give him that, even though majority of characters have decent to good recoveries(combine relatively low gravity with huge ledge snap range and most characters having large protective hitboxes on their upb's). Sorry if you don't agree but, that's my opinion of Kirby as he is right now.

KOkingpin

Smash Champion
Dthrow sets up tech chases?

It pops them up, it sets up for Utilt and Uair combos, and thats at low percents. Mid percents the only thing hitting people will probably be uair, and they may be able to jump out of it.
If you DI the DThrow Correctly you cant get Hit in the Air and you have a chance to Tech roll. Kirby can then Proceed to Tech Chase. normally People DI the throw wrong and it leads to Aerials.

@RiteToRmnSilent - Maybe MK and Jiggly can Edge guard better but not dedede or Luigi and they have good edge guard games. its what Kirby does best. B air has an incredible hitbox and that is post Nerf. Kirby's main problem is his lack of ability to kill a scared high percentage opponent. The key is being patient with Kirby and Landing a B air. getting them off the stage and doing what Kirby does best. Gimping.

Top Bottom