• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

brawl helping the zelda scene

25%Cotton

Smash Ace
NNID
Samu.S
3DS FC
4785-5442-4678
ok... so with the release of melee, peach got a lot of popular support, and nintendo decided that they would give peach a chance to be able to be competent in a canon game (ssb isn't exactly the most canon of nintendo series :p) and made super princess peach. this, however, isn't exactly the most revolutionary thing ever, seeing as peach was also competent in mario bros 2 and in paper mario (perhaps another title or two), so it wasn't such a huge jump.

i was hoping zelda would encounter similar character boostings with her playability in melee... and it was really looking that way for tp... until the game came out, and the whole "zelda w/ sword" thing turned out to be very minor. again zelda's competency was restricted to light arrows in the background. so i'm guessing that maybe she was just too unpopular in melee.

this changes in brawl now. with major buffs, zelda could experience a sharp rise in popularity and overall coolness (:p). do you think this increases zelda's chances for being battle-able in the future in a canon zelda game? i'm not saying they should make a super princess zelda (people are still recovering from the whole wand of gamelon thing), but i'm really hoping zelda, if she isn't soon to be in a co-operative level of play, can at least expect to be able to do some serious damage.

by the way, i am a huge zelda fan. i have beaten every single zelda game made my nintendo. of course, CD-i games do not even relatively count... and neither does tingle's rose colored rupee land (seeing as it's japan-only and technically a tingle game, not a zelda game).

PwnyRide

Smash Ace
You know i was thinking about this not long ago. I even came up with a scenario she could be invlolved in, so i'll take a chance and post it here -

(This is ALL speculation, or even moreso of a 'i wish' scenario just skip to the second last paragraph if you dont want to read)

End of Ocarina of Time, Zelda sends Link back to live out his childhood, and in turn, she really, REALLY made the universe screwy, as a result of this was a split in timelines creating two, 'dimensions'. In Twilight Princess, something didnt sit quite well with me. The fact that, at any point in time, the Gods (or godesses i should say) could have interviened, making both Link and Zelda's life a whole lot easier.

Now take note, that at the end of Twilight Princess, the Triforce of Power, at last, leaves the hand of Gannondorf (where it went is anyone's guess, whether it be to a new 'host', nobody can tell). I get the inkling that the whole scenario was the biggest 'set up' in Hylian history.

It would be in the God's best interests to pervent Zelda from making the universe all screwy again, even if it meant sacraficing the will and freedom of Hyrule's people in the TP timeline, so in charge, they gave Gannondorf a little nudge. Sure, i found it a little odd that Gannondorf was able to muster up the power he did whilst in the Twilight Realm, so using Gannondorf as a 'tool', the God's, specifically through Din, set the gears of justice into motion, and eventually we have:

Zelda 'quarantined' in a Twilit Hyrule.

Now back to the Triforce of Power leaving Gannondorf, the inkling that the God's, in particular Din, where just fed up with his constant failure, he did not deserve the right to carry that particular part of the triforce, Din snatched it away and let Gannondorf go. So now where are we. The setup has failed, and Zelda is free once again to unknowingly ruin the universe at her whim! yipee!

What's Next? (The Scenario):

The god's are pissed, naturally. So what do they do? Clearly already showing that the TP Hyrule is expendable, they take the initiative and begin to erase Zelda's mistake, even at the risk of sacrificing the Triforce of Wisdom (along with Zelda and any other Triforce Pieces remaining in Hyrule). This is Zelda's problem, she has to get out of it herself. This is the reason why she's a legend. This is The Legend of Zelda (yay for corny movie-phrase) Marketing line: 'Too much knowledge can be a bad thing'

I cant see Zelda being to popular in Brawl honestly. Not while characters like Sonic and Snake are around anyway.
but yeah, slowly throughout the years Zelda has played more a role slowly, the next time we see her, she might break into the hero's boots. Nintendo did say that the next time we see a Zelda game, nothing will be the same.

Ledger_Damayn

Smash Ace
Regardless, the less popular she is, the better. It's pretty lame to have a top/high tier character as a main, because then people automatically assume you just did it to be better :\

In that regard, let's all hope that people stick with Sheik.

RyokoYaksa

BRoomer
BRoomer
Regardless, the less popular she is, the better. It's pretty lame to have a top/high tier character as a main, because then people automatically assume you just did it to be better :\

In that regard, let's all hope that people stick with Sheik.
Uh huh... you're one of those people, I see.

schep

Smash Cadet
Great to see Zelda get some much needed and well deserved buffs, I just hope that this speculation of Sheik being severely nerfed turns out to just be speculation. I would love to be able to truly master and use both characters. I think this was truly the intention of the double character transformation in the first place.

-Y-peace-Y-

RyokoYaksa

BRoomer
BRoomer
Great to see Zelda get some much needed and well deserved buffs, I just hope that this speculation of Sheik being severely nerfed turns out to just be speculation. I would love to be able to truly master and use both characters. I think this was truly the intention of the double character transformation in the first place.

-Y-peace-Y-
It isn't speculation. Sheik got nerfed pretty hard. However, nerfing a top tier character "pretty hard" still leaves you with something quite workable. The Transform move though, is not so workable.

I find it hypocritically hilarious how people desire to have their mains below the high tiers because they feel that their "uniqueness" is at stake. Don't be fooled into thinking you're above other people who main characters simply to "tier wh0re," because face it, you're pretty much as disrespectful of them as the people who illogically call you out on doing the same.

Also, if you're actually bothered by scrubs making such a trivial judgement, then the problem isn't them.

Drake3

Smash Ace
I honestly can't see them putting Zelda into the main role, because the games are meant to revolve around her story (not that they always do). I wish they could find a way though. Either make the game a 2 player co-op somehow, or split the story into 2 with the both of them being playable. I want to see, like how Link acquires all of those weapons, Zelda to acquire spells in a similar fashion.

Half-Split Soul

Smash Lord
I don´t really think that Nintendo would do such a big change in the legend of Zelda series that they would make Zelda the main character instead of Link. First of all, that would be a huge risk since there are so many people who simply love Link. Many veterans of the series might also think that Link must be the hero and Zelda must be the princess that has to be saved.

A spinoff with Zelda as main character would also have many risks. If Zelda in the game wouldn´t be liked by gamers or would be thought to be completely unfitting with her personality or the legend of Zelda universe, gamers could become so unpleased that they would only not to buy the spinoff but could also stop completely playing future games of the legend of Zelda series. And since the legend of Zelda is another one of the game series that actually made Nintendo popular, that risk would be too big to be taken.

But even with those conditions it isn´t possible for Zelda to appear as playable character (outside SSB). The legend of Zelda that would allow you to play both Link and Zelda (maybe other more than other, maybe at equall amount) would add something new to the consept. Another reason why that could be risk worth taking is that there are actually many Zelda fans out there who would love the change for Zelda to show what she is actually capable of.

I personally think that a game completely based on Zelda would be bad idea (at least as the next the legend of Zelda) but a game where you could play as both of the main characters would just be logical "next step". Zelda´s rising popularity thanks to SSBB could also help this to happen. If it would happen I´d like that very much, since I´m one of those that think it´s for Zelda to step out of Link´s shadow and take a bigger part in the game.

And this is of the topic, but as far as I know Tingle's rose colored rupee land isn´t Japan-only, as you say 25%Cotton (I have even seen it being sold here in Finland).

Ledger_Damayn

Smash Ace
It isn't speculation. Sheik got nerfed pretty hard. However, nerfing a top tier character "pretty hard" still leaves you with something quite workable. The Transform move though, is not so workable.

I find it hypocritically hilarious how people desire to have their mains below the high tiers because they feel that their "uniqueness" is at stake. Don't be fooled into thinking you're above other people who main characters simply to "tier wh0re," because face it, you're pretty much as disrespectful of them as the people who illogically call you out on doing the same.

Also, if you're actually bothered by scrubs making such a trivial judgement, then the problem isn't them.
I'm not saying that my uniqueness is at stake, nor do I purposely play characters that are below low tier. My other main is Peach, and I dabble with Sheik. I would just rather play without having to deal with people rolling their eyes in negative anticipation that comes from a particular selection in characters.

Ha, and I definitely don't criticize people who, as you say, tier *****. I'm perfectly fine with it. It's a great strategy to win tournaments. I prefer people to think that I pick my characters more because I enjoy them as a character, and because I enjoy their play style.

In case anyone was wondering, I'm still going to main Zelda even though she's probably gotten good enough to be significantly competitive (at least so far), and I'm still going to main Peach even though almost every single aspect of her was nerfed into oblivion.

:p There's almost no reason to ever play Sheik anymore though, since Zelda's quite easily capable of taking care of herself in almost all situations.

Supersmashbro125

Smash Apprentice
I don´t really think that Nintendo would do such a big change in the legend of Zelda series that they would make Zelda the main character instead of Link. First of all, that would be a huge risk since there are so many people who simply love Link. Many veterans of the series might also think that Link must be the hero and Zelda must be the princess that has to be saved.

A spinoff with Zelda as main character would also have many risks. If Zelda in the game wouldn´t be liked by gamers or would be thought to be completely unfitting with her personality or the legend of Zelda universe, gamers could become so unpleased that they would only not to buy the spinoff but could also stop completely playing future games of the legend of Zelda series. And since the legend of Zelda is another one of the game series that actually made Nintendo popular, that risk would be too big to be taken.

But even with those conditions it isn´t possible for Zelda to appear as playable character (outside SSB). The legend of Zelda that would allow you to play both Link and Zelda (maybe other more than other, maybe at equall amount) would add something new to the consept. Another reason why that could be risk worth taking is that there are actually many Zelda fans out there who would love the change for Zelda to show what she is actually capable of.

I personally think that a game completely based on Zelda would be bad idea (at least as the next the legend of Zelda) but a game where you could play as both of the main characters would just be logical "next step". Zelda´s rising popularity thanks to SSBB could also help this to happen. If it would happen I´d like that very much, since I´m one of those that think it´s for Zelda to step out of Link´s shadow and take a bigger part in the game.

And this is of the topic, but as far as I know Tingle's rose colored rupee land isn´t Japan-only, as you say 25%Cotton (I have even seen it being sold here in Finland).
About playing just as Zelda in the Legend of Zelda games,what if they made a new series other than making only Zelda playable in Legend of Zelda.If Nintendo did make a game where only Zelda is playable maybe Zelda would have to save Link( I know it sounds stupid about a princess saving her hero)!Like,pretend Link is captured by Ganondorf after he saves Zelda.Then,since Zelda is OK,she can go save Link!Her adventure to save Link is kinda like Link's in the Legend of Zelda games.She goes along the Journey and explores dungeons and along the way gets,instead of weapons,new magic abilities...maybe some weapons too.

Iris

Smash Ace
I'd still prefer a co-op version. Making Zelda the lone heroine would be too big of a leap. Think Sword of Mana style, her and Link team up occasionally in the game, but they're often alone with separate stories and dungeons. Each will have their own fighting method.

25%Cotton

Smash Ace
NNID
Samu.S
3DS FC
4785-5442-4678
I'd still prefer a co-op version. Making Zelda the lone heroine would be too big of a leap. Think Sword of Mana style, her and Link team up occasionally in the game, but they're often alone with separate stories and dungeons. Each will have their own fighting method.
yeah, i think a sword of mana approach is the best option. i really loved sword of mana. actually, the gameplay itself not-so-much (it's a basically a remake, so i won't take off any points here)... nor the male character or his storyline... but i loved the whole intertwining of the storyline. it was probably the best part of the game. *fingers crossed*

to person that said tingle's game wasn't japan-only:

"and was released in Europe on September 14, 2007... a North American release has not been announced"

yeah, you're right. it isn't japan-only. but it isn't out in north america. that plus the fact that it technically isn't a legend of zelda game means "it doesn't count". i also don't think link's crossbow training counts either, seeing as that's really just a small addon game for the wii zapper.

Ledger_Damayn

Smash Ace
A leap? She was practically a lone heroine in OoT, traversing through Hyrule as Sheik just to help Link.

To be honest, I want to know THAT adventure, the adventure that Zelda/Sheik had running all throughout Hyrule just to make Link's journey possible. Or, an entirely different story just to herself. She's a very strong character... she's not exactly Peach.

Drake3

Smash Ace
@ Half-Split Soul : Nintendo's controversial risks are the reason it is what it is today.

Half-Split Soul

Smash Lord
@ Half-Split Soul : Nintendo's controversial risks are the reason it is what it is today.
I completely agree but don´t still think that they would be willing to risk that big with one of their trademark series. So far Nintendo has taken risks mostly with new games and game concepts instead of actually changing their older series very much (and there´s nothing wrong with that, I have loved their unique new games so far). That´s why I don´t think that they would suddenly change Zelda as the main character. But the legend of Zelda with partly Link and partly Zelda as playable protagonist could very well happen because

1: that would add something completely new to the series

2: if done correctly, that would please both Zelda and Link fans

3: that would allow completely different and exciting approach to the game

and 4: Nintendo is known to take risks that others wouldn´t and to succeed, just like you said.

I also think that shared game with Link and Zelda as main playable characters would be a better idea because that would show how people actually react to Zelda as playable and active character. If they would find her fitting to be the palyable heroine, Zelda could have a game completely dedicated to her.

But this is of course only my opinion. I think that Zelda would be fitting to have her own adventures as heroine, but the game community should be introduced to that idea first by allowing her to get slowly bigger and bigger role in the legend of Zelda series.

Rikuo

Smash Cadet
I was thinking about this as well. I was actually pretty disappointed with how little Zelda time we got out of TP, though I absolutely love that game. Zelda's role in the adventures are critical, but because she gets no screen time, people never give her enough credit. The series is named after her, she deserves more. When Super Princess Peach came out, I thought it was fantastic. I was hoping it was a sign that both of Nintendo's Princesses were going to be more involved.

At least Peach has been playable on multiple occasions. Zelda has never been playable outside of Smash. Perhaps giving her her own game is a bad idea, but I would love the option to play her in one of the next Zelda games, preferable the more realistic art styles. I think the Sword of Mana approach would be very well received.

Top Bottom