• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Brawl+ G&W: Guide version 1.0 up!

omegablackmage

Certified Lion Rider
GW is the devil. I hate both of his dimensions.

I like the Ganon vs. GW matchup in B+. Of course, using Jiggs/MK/Lucas/Ganon, Ganon is really the best choice (for me) given that everyone pretty much knows the MK matchup from vBrawl and its a lot easier for GW is B+ (massive nerfing of MK, esp up-b inv. frames nerf).
I was under the opinion that gw vs ganon was still in gw's favor. Massive gimping tools, upairs ruin vertical spacing from ganon, heavy combos from gw, etc. What are your thoughts on the matchup?

Plum

Has never eaten a plum.
Premium
He eats your stock in like 4 hits... When you mess up against Ganon you eat the mistake harder than against any other character.

That basically sums up Ganon. He has good spacing options, but G&W has better ones, and he can't handle pressure too well outside of jab. The grab box on his Up B can be annoying, as well as if you misplace yourself and get hit by the uppercut. It's not quite a free gimp, but still pretty easy.

omegablackmage

Certified Lion Rider
yeah those are good points, he does hit hard, but the hits are far and few between. You'll eat jabs every now and then for slight errors, but fairs/bairs/dairs are going to be quite difficult for them to land. Would you say the mu is in gw's favor?

GHNeko

Sega Stockholm Syndrome.
NNID
GHNeko
Ganon embodies Isai and Smash 64.

The MU is indeed in GaW's favor. 65:35 - 60:40.

Also, GaW has Bacon spacing which is good against ganon when uses right and keeps him from Wiztruck Spiking you. :D

Also. Dtilt and Uthrow/Bthrow/Fthrow are your friends. <3

Arty

Smash Lord
If a tier list for Brawl+ ever comes out, what tier would you guys see GW being? I personally think he has the tools to be top 5.

CountKaiser

Smash Lord
If reliable kill combos were ever found other than FF nair -> dsmash, he'd definitely be top 5 material.

He just seems so good, but sometimes killing with him can be a pain. Any tips on how to end the stock rather than simply build up damage?

GHNeko

Sega Stockholm Syndrome.
NNID
GHNeko

Veril

Frame Savant
If reliable kill combos were ever found other than FF nair -> dsmash, he'd definitely be top 5 material.

He just seems so good, but sometimes killing with him can be a pain. Any tips on how to end the stock rather than simply build up damage?
I'm soooo not helping you find those before Pound 4. GW = man's inhumanity to man. You've got dash-canceling into a fast move with IASA and sex kick properties... no Johns.

At least this wasn't a buff request and acknowledged that you know... GW+ has a true combo into a KO move already.

GHNeko

Sega Stockholm Syndrome.
NNID
GHNeko
He's got a few. Few of them are DI dependant and one completely random, but DI is readable on reaction.

He's probably got more that we havent found as well.

Dthrow is a better throw now, on a mental sense, as you can mix up into it more and throw players off.

Plum

Has never eaten a plum.
Premium
I'm definitely thinking that dash canceling is the single biggest buff to G&W's game in B+.
The options he has out of dash canceling are just insane. DC Fsmash is sooo good.

Best way G&W can kill still seems to be through punishing. Not like that's a bad thing when his kill potential is so **** high. I was playing a vBrawl MK a few weeks ago, and he was in love with DC reverse Fsmash, which got me using that a lot as G&W.

Run back, and if that baits your opponent a lot of times you can punish with a reverse Fsmash to the face, sometimes even semicharged. I've had the food combo into a DC Fsmash a few times, though that totally depends on how the food is flung, and the opponent has to run right into it too... Fthrow at the edge leads into Fair depending on DI, and Fthrow to food to Fair can make landing the Fair a bit easier.

P:M is really making me miss a non autofall Dair... The ability to use a rising Dair or a floating Dair improves his ability to edgegaurd and kill significantly. Oh well... :p

CountKaiser

Smash Lord
Speaking of kill combos, I remembered that the dair spike into usmash works, but the percentage range where it killed was very small.

CountKaiser

Smash Lord
Footstool > Dair = 100% inescapable, especially when you buffer the dair asap.
I've done this before, and it's so nice.

G&W seems so good at racking up damage like crazy, what with his aerials doing such good damage and comboing into themselves.

What stages do people like with G&W? For whatever reason, I abhor Rainbow Cruise. People always ban it, anyway, and no one makes Norfair legal anymore, so I need another counterpick other than battlefield to take people too.

GHNeko

Sega Stockholm Syndrome.
NNID
GHNeko
Me? I go FD, Wario Ware, SSE Jungle, Lylat with GaW.

FD for bacon spam.

WW and Lylat for Platform abuse.

SSE Jungle for more platform abuse and a stage with large horizontal bounderies making it harder to kill off the side and a medium-low ceiling indirectly boosting his kill options. (Dsmash/Usmash)

Plum

Has never eaten a plum.
Premium
Stage lists are never nice to G&W.

By far his best stages are Green Greens, Corneria, Rainbow Cruise, and Norfair and the only one that's ever allowed is RC. Which then gets immediately banned by your opponent. :(

I hate FD as G&W unless I'm playing somebody with no projectile for bacon lulz. Battlefield is just a regular platform stage, Lylat can screw over some recoveries but never really yours, Wario Ware is probably my favorite to go to now.

G&W is going to be dying early anyways, but at least his kill power is severely augmented there. The kill moves he usually has to resort to kill at normal percents now, and the kill moves he wishes he could land whenever he wants kill at lololololol percents.

Though the advent of Skyworld+ is nice. Platform abuse, fairly large to allow bacon spam, G&W has a lot of ways to abuse the bottom level hitlag, and when the moving platform appears under the stage you can shark like crazy while riding it.

Plum

Has never eaten a plum.
Premium
First thing I immediately noticed was that you are using Fair out of a SH too often.
JCaesar was able to punish you almost everytime for it because its too laggy to be throwing out of a SH unless you know its going to hit.
Dairs were fairly predictable, and you were giving ROB a ton of space, basically leaving him in his comfort zone for a lot of the match. I've never played a ROB as good as JCaesar, but I feel like you should be more aggressive at getting the kill. He just outlived you to such a great extent that it made things very hard. You won't be gimping ROB, so if you can't get him into a situation where you can tech chase into a smash or something then he is going to live far too long. I love chasing my opponent's rolls with a DC Fsmash, and when you land a Nair or Bair at high percents don't be afraid to try to FF them into a smash. With G&W anything that has a chance to end in a smash at kill percents is a godsend... Because we all know G&W has a tough time getting a kill unless he's lucky at times.

I didn't watch all of the second match because I'm at school, but Wolf is a character you can be aggressive with offstage as long as you're warry of Side B. Even if you just space a Dtilt at the edge its going to make him getting back harder, and lower the % of his stocks. And watch out for Side B through the corner of the stage to hit you, that was hitting you pretty often.

JCaesar

Smash Hero
NNID
JCaesar
G&W's smashes are just too slow and predictable to ever reliably land against a competent opponent. You need to find a new way to kill. Nair->fair can work pretty well.

Oh and up-B out of combos more. It's invincible and 100% safe. Getting back to the ground shouldn't be a problem either since most of your aerials are enormous and safe and have a landing hitbox.

Plum

Has never eaten a plum.
Premium
Definitely get out of combos with Up B, which also reminds me, Up B out of shield when you're being pressured. The invincibility on it makes it soooo good at getting out of any tight situation.

Too bad JCaesar is gay and doesn't play characters who eat bacon spam... makes G&W's life so much easier when it comes to landing a kill.

Top Bottom