• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Brawl a disappointment?

3D King

Smash Journeyman
I find it disappointing that certain characters aren't playable.
I find it disappointing that certain stages didn't return from Melee.
I find it disappointing that I've had to wait so long to get the game.

However, the game as a whole has been really enjoyable to me (even though the closest I get to it is through videos). I may have a handful of complaints but I understand why certain things I wanted didn't make it, and it doesn't detract from the fact that a lot of the stuff I did want is in. I got a Wii purely to buy this game and it looks so far like I got my money's worth.

Mckillyou

Smash Journeyman
To be honest, it really does make sense that Kirby got Meta Knight and Dedede. The man who directed this games creation MADE the Kirby series. Also, Meta Knight (From what I hear) is his favorite creation, and Dedede was the most requested character on that poll... Thing...

Mikau et al

Smash Journeyman
To be honest, it really does make sense that Kirby got Meta Knight and Dedede. The man who directed this games creation MADE the Kirby series. Also, Meta Knight (From what I hear) is his favorite creation, and Dedede was the most requested character on that poll... Thing...
2 new Kirby reps when we literally lose a Mario and a Pokemon rep? I can appreciate partiality, but not at the expense of more/other deserving series. Sakurai should have been willing to give some love to the other franchises if he was going to boost Kirby's ranks that much. Ridley, anyone?

And that poll was essentially worthless, as it was taken by a very small portion of Japan; ergo Japan isn't happy, and the rest of the world is less happy.

frankisvital

Smash Journeyman
I have just seen a lot of complaining from the community and I haven't seen as much, comparatively, praise for Brawl, granted it isn't out to the masses of America or Europe yet. There is more dissent from it on these boards from reading the threads recently. Maybe it's just the initial setting in phase.
You're on a forum that's home to a huge number of competitive players, some (and only some) of whom are very, very used to the way they play Melee. It's jarring to be stripped from a comfortable environment, and it's understandable that some of them react in a hostile manner to the change.

Another group consists (mostly) of very recently signed up members (though not completely, so don't flip out at me). These people lurk on the Brawl boards and are partially responsible for the ridiculous character request threads. They're the people that swear they "won't buy the game" because Ridley, Krystal, Issac, Geno, Sora or (God forbid) Master Chief aren't in it.

The most important thing to understand though, is that these people are the minority, provided they're a VERY vocal minority. They're louder (figuratively, of course) than anyone else here. They curse and scream and condemn Sakurai to endless paper cuts or third-degree burns or varying degrees of herpes, but, in the end, they'll be right in line with everyone else to get the game.

As a disclaimer and a flame shield, I'm going to point out that I would have liked to see Ridley and Krystal in the game, though I can't understand why anyone would ever want to play as Sora more than they were made to.

Mikau et al

Smash Journeyman
As a disclaimer and a flame shield, I'm going to point out that I would have liked to see Ridley and Krystal in the game, though I can't understand why anyone would ever want to play as Sora more than they were made to.
QFT: Want characters in brawl because they deserve it, not because you're a n00b fanboy. Krystal was a toss-up with Wolf (although retrospectively she probably wouldn't have been a Fox clone). The only reason I can think of that Ridley didn't make it was because Japan hates him; that's not a very good reason, hence my disappointment. It just doesn't make sense.

El HP

Smash Ace
1-Crappy character roster

2-Dumbed down gameplay

3-friend codes

4-Ganon is still a clone

Brawl is one of the biggest disappointments ever.

Pi

Smash Hero
[Edit] The guy above me stated the main reasons for me (save for ganon, Idc)

So far...yes it's been disappointing. But I'm not doing anything rash based off of 2 weeks of gameplay that didn't even involve me.

Kyle29

Smash Apprentice
its partially dissapointing because....

-from what i hear SSE is a big flop
-clones are back
-a suprising lack of content in multiplayer (items, characters)
-duplicate final smashes
-small # of bossed in SSE + repeatitive gameplay in SSE (beat the enemy till % runs out)
-the amount of landmasters
-many great franchises were ignored
-two versions of link ?????, id rather have tingle.
-super weak roster

All ^^^^^ considering it got delayed twice for "product perfection".

Brawl will still be a good game, but they haven't "outdone" themselves like Sakuria claimed they did. IT WAS OVERHYPED. Brawl will be just like melee was, in terms of expectations, some will get satsified, while others will not. I just pray to god they make SSB4.

Mikau et al

Smash Journeyman

-clones are back
-duplicate final smashes
-small # of bossed in SSE + repeatitive gameplay in SSE (beat the enemy till % runs out)
-super weak roster

Brawl will still be a good game, but they haven't "outdone" themselves like Sakuria claimed they did. IT WAS OVERHYPED. Brawl will be just like melee was, in terms of expectations, some will get satsified, while others will not. I just pray to god they make SSB4.
QFT. Finally. Someone who agrees with me!

supersonicdjs

Smash Journeyman
Super Smash Bros. Brawl is undoubtedly the best Smash Bros. Game yet. Sakurai and the other game producers cant fit everyone's needs. Look at this example:

I WANT RIDLEY AS A BOSS!

I WANT RIDLEY PLAYABLE!

Would that confuse you? I think so.

Mikau et al

Smash Journeyman
Super Smash Bros. Brawl is undoubtedly the best Smash Bros. Game yet. Sakurai and the other game producers cant fit everyone's needs. Look at this example:

I WANT RIDLEY AS A BOSS!

I WANT RIDLEY PLAYABLE!

Would that confuse you? I think so.
You stupid ******. It wouldn't have been hard to make Ridley a boss and a PC. They did it with Lucario, with Wario, with Bowser (sort of)...
And the Ridley boss battles in SSE are lame, so it would have been better to not even do the former. SSE is such a waste of space--I almost guarantee you that with the exception of a few uber-obsessive gamers, people won't be replaying the SSE a month after Brawl comes out (though I'm predicting it will be sooner, like two weeks).

sfox8

Smash Journeyman
The fact that Ridley is not a PC implies that Sakurai was on crack when he made this roster. It just doesn't make sense.
And if you actually read my analysis (if you're going to assault my claims), it's not that Kirby is actually overrepresented (in the roster, anyway, although SSE is another problem), it's the fact that the huge increases in Kirby representation implied at least moderate increases in Mario/Zelda/Pokemon rep (and definitely Metroid), even accounting for Melee's deficiencies. Even the most conservative and rational extrapolations based on what Sakurai revealed on the Dojo predicted a much better roster than what we actually got. Thus, many people are disappointed because Sakurai sucks at PR (and other things, but mostly that). My personal gripes are that it didn't even remotely live up to expectations, mine and otherwise.

Regarding DK/Diddy: DK split off from the Mario franchise early enough to count as an independent franchise. Rare worked on that for a very long time, not Nintendo. And Diddy has never been in any canon Mario games. If you need any more proof: they have their own series symbol/music/everything. While Yoshi is a stretch, he/she/it got lucky and also counts as a separate franchise. Warioware needs no explaining; same deal. And you forgot Luigi. As a whole, I find that your post reveals a substandard appreciation for the Mario series. The Mario series really only has four Brawl reps: one less than Melee. People were expecting at least one more Mario rep to fill Docs place, two if we were really lucky, especially if Kirby got a net gain of one (if you consider that its deserved rep count for Melee would have been two). People were very reasonable about their predictions based on Dojo updates and mostly ignoring Dojo hype and Sakurai still came up short.
Please don't put words in my mouth, and furthermore, if you are unable to determine the meaning of part of my post, don't assume negative connotations simply because it fits your argument.

I said if you wanted to include DK and Diddy then that adds to the Mario series' numbers. I never said DK and Diddy were part of the mario franchise. I lump Wario in with Mario because in essence, he is Mario's enemy and they are part of the same world. Same goes for Yoshi. Having a separate game does not change anything about who they really are. If MetaKnight went and had a couple of games based around him, where Kirby does not interact with him at all, he would still be part of the Kirby franchise. That's what I mean by including Yoshi and Wario. DK and Diddy are in a way, different because of other factors.

I don't see how I have a substandard appreciation for the Mario series. Again, please don't assume things just because they fit your argument. Mario is one of my favorite series of all time and has constantly been one of the most successful gaming series' in history. My appreciation for the series has nothing to do with the amount of Mario related characters included in Brawl, which was what my original post was referring to.

In regards to your first paragraph, I think we can all agree that Sakurai hyped the roster up to a point where everyone was expecting something huge and great. But that's not what we got. Oh well. The problem I have is that you are blaming Sakurai for adding a couple of Kirby characters and some things from the Kirby franchise (mind you that, again, Kirby has had pretty much nothing in the past two games and even got nerfed in Melee), while there are other franchises that have just about as much representation as Kirby. Just because Kirby gets an increase in representation doesn't mean that every other series (especially ones that have quite a bit already. i.e. Mario) needs to have an increase as well. That would, essentially, make everything as unbalanced as it was in Melee.

As far as Metroid goes, I can sympathize with everyone on that. I've already said that it sucks that Ridley's not in. He seemed like one of the most obvious choices, but it didn't happen. Oh well. There's nothing we can do about it now. The only consolation I can see is that it looks like they at least -tried- to make it up to Metroid fans with the stages and the boss fight. Not much i can say about that one there.

"Read a book." I read many, thank you.

Again, insults? Really? When you could have been mature about it? Come on now. You're calling people idiots and ******* because they don't agree with your point of view. Please try and be mature about this because as far as I've seen, nobody has done anything to you other than disagree.

Edit: btw, (this is more directed at people in general). We all knew this game was being overhyped since early on. At least, I'd like to think we did. The overhype wasn't all the cause of Sakurai and Nintendo. We contributed to some of that as well. With all of the speculation and taking quotes out of context and whatnot, we were bound to be disappointed by something in the end, and that happens to be the roster.

I can understand why people are upset about the roster (see that one thread about "understand why we're upset". It's a very good read.) and that's not what my argument's about. I'm talking about blaming a single franchise for having a part in making this game "disappointing." It's totally unfair, considering there were a couple series' in Melee that were over-repped and that game wasn't in the least bit disappointing.

Big-Cat

Challenge accepted.
NNID
KumaOso
3DS FC
1590-4853-0104

-clones are back
-duplicate final smashes
-super weak roster

1. It is. That's why a number of us are going to work on a hopefully better story.
2. He never said clones were out. Although, they didn't bother to declone at least Ganondorf.
3. This I agree with and the lack of content is "compensated" with stuff like that passing mode. I would've been glad with just camera mode, but we didn't get that and we can't really do machinima.
4. Ditto.
5. Ditto.
6. Ditto, but it makes a good joke here and there.
7. Ditto
8. In Toon Link's defense, he represents the other half of Zelda, the Cel-shaded series.
9. Not to mention ignoring a bunch of requested characters.

Kyle29

Smash Apprentice
1. It is. That's why a number of us are going to work on a hopefully better story.
2. He never said clones were out. Although, they didn't bother to declone at least Ganondorf.
3. This I agree with and the lack of content is "compensated" with stuff like that passing mode. I would've been glad with just camera mode, but we didn't get that and we can't really do machinima.
4. Ditto.
5. Ditto.
6. Ditto, but it makes a good joke here and there.
7. Ditto
8. In Toon Link's defense, he represents the other half of Zelda, the Cel-shaded series.
9. Not to mention ignoring a bunch of requested characters.
Its true... also considering that all the previous characters were simply remade with only small tweaks. So 50% of the game was rehash and they STILL come up short on new unique characters, and content. Unless DLC exsist, and it should... Some of the most succsessful game developers base their multiplayer games on DLC. They release the game, get feedback, and then tweak the game based on the feedback. Nintendo needs to get into that. Thats customer satisfaction to the MAX.

BBQ

Smash Apprentice
Well the ppl that say this isnt melee 2.0 are right. Brawl is not a bad game. It does not have and will not have the same gameplay depth. That was the main thing that I liked about melee.

For the smash series to be the only competitive fighting genre of its kind for it to have:
1. Less of a technical aspect
2. Slower gameplay
3. Kills harder to attain, and much easier recovering
4. Fox's shine, and falcos laser lock infinite combos(no skill req.)

It is a DISAPPOINTMENT

its a disappointment to me b/c i find joy out of competition.

rubiksfriend

Smash Apprentice
Dittos to BBQ. What was up with the final SSE boss, anyways? Also, why delay the game only to disappoint? Speaking of which, why was the game delayed? Wi-fi which only removes all technical aspects? I want to tipper Fsmash Sakurai in the face.

Vortok

Smash Journeyman
id rather have tingle.
You were doing ok until that point, but now you've lose all credibility.:p

Ridley as a PC would've been cool. Metroid did get a new rep, though... Zero Suit Samus (counts just like Zelda and Shiek are seperate). Metroid probably isn't too popular in Japan, as I hear they're not very big FPS fans which is basically what most of the latest Metroid games have been. Donkey Kong only got one new rep as well... and all his new games in the past several years have basically been suckage. I have no problem with the 3 kirby reps, as they're quite diverse (other than all three have multiple jumps, lol).

Sure, more characters would've been cool... but you can always ask for more.

I can only think of two characters that I'll be hesitant to play... and that's because I suck with them in Melee. That'd be Ice Climbers (can't use even remotely properly, not even counting advanced stuff) and Yoshi. All the others I'd be more than happy to play. I'll even give Game & Watch a second chance.

That's a HUGE improvement over Melee... and isn't that what matters, that we enjoy playing as the various characters - and the more you enjoy the better?

NGamer92

Smash Rookie
I am far from disappointed and not to sad about delays anymore.

I say people who are dissapointed should play the game before passing a final verdict.

flyinfilipino

Smash Master
That's a HUGE improvement over Melee... and isn't that what matters, that we enjoy playing as the various characters - and the more you enjoy the better?
I agree. People who are still complaining over what they don't have (ie. certain characters) are probably going to miss out on having fun with what they do have.

Chexr

Smash Ace
I was disappointed before I played it, then I realized it was so much funner than melee.

KnivesOut

Smash Rookie
I was incredibly worried with the amount of posts i saw on the boards about how the game is horrible since they took out L-canceling, and Wavedashing, and how it has no depth, but i've been playing Brawl with my friends NONSTOP for like 5 days almost, and i can honestly say its ****ing amazing.

Disappointment? Hell no.

NGamer92

Smash Rookie
I was disappointed before I played it, then I realized it was so much funner than melee.
That's exactly my point: Do not judge a game until you have played the game.
If anyone is dissapointed after playing this game they should bury themselves under a rock (JK).

Senshuu

Smash Journeyman
If anyone finds anything in this game disappointing for any reason, there is something wrong with you.

You can be dissatisfied with something small, but disappointed? Pfft. And I say that from watching alone. Watching! Few things hook me on watching alone, sirs and ladies. But this has.

paOol

Smash Apprentice
for those who are disappointed with brawl. dont buy it. stick to your melee while the rest of us will be having a blast playing brawl.

continue to cry, keep flaming brawl, im sure that'll make you a "pro" or "competitive"player.

otherwise, shut up we all know you're going to be getting brawl anyways. don't ruin it for others

-sonny-

Smash Journeyman
To the people flaming this guy, it's just an honest question.

A lot of people were expecting a lot from Brawl that unfortunately was not fulfilled for them when they got the game. No need to go crazy on him -_-

and NO to those people saying like "omg stop crying geez just go back to melee" they're not even saying that they don't like it, they just mean that there's things they wish it COULD'VE been but are able to accept that it isn't and still get on with it. A lot of you people are always saying like "omg go back to gamefaqs" and crap like that but you guys are starting to even make smashboards look like gamefaqs at times.

StellaNova

Smash Journeyman
For the several people complaining that my thread topic being a failure, I had never claimed Brawl to be a disappointment, I merely asked what everyone else thought. I personally don't think Brawl will be a disappointment as a game, but I think it will be more disappointing to me in the level of technical skill required. I posed this question, to the community, however, to get feedback from everyone and to get some public opinion on the matter. To those who have answered out of sheer honesty and integrity, I thank you. To those who only post, "Fail" or anything along the lines of that idea, I say stop arbitrarily posting based off your selfish opinion without really thinking about the question, just to get your post count up. If you're going to tell me that this thread is a failure, you need to be intelligible about it and post some valid reasons why this thread is not a good thread or why Brawl is NOT a disappointment, to you. A majority of you may not have played the game yet, as I mentioned earlier, so I also do not understand where you're pulling your information from and what sources you're using to create your opinion.

In short, please relax and just have some discussion, as I read what everyone's posted and there is some worthwhile stuff to read into.

Tajem

Smash Apprentice
The characters are fine. I'd rather have this roster than the compilation of clones from Melee.

Ridley as a PC? Okay, while we're at it, let's add Godzilla. Ridley's size in comparison to the other characters is too impractical. He wouldn't work as a PC. That's probably the most basic of reasons. Bowser, DK, and DEx3 are big, but Ridley is VERY big.

Metroid is also a one-woman show. The best they could have done was add a hunter from Corruption. But even then, it would have been failure.

Kyle29

Smash Apprentice
You were doing ok until that point, but now you've lose all credibility.:p

Ridley as a PC would've been cool. Metroid did get a new rep, though... Zero Suit Samus (counts just like Zelda and Shiek are seperate). Metroid probably isn't too popular in Japan, as I hear they're not very big FPS fans which is basically what most of the latest Metroid games have been. Donkey Kong only got one new rep as well... and all his new games in the past several years have basically been suckage. I have no problem with the 3 kirby reps, as they're quite diverse (other than all three have multiple jumps, lol).

Sure, more characters would've been cool... but you can always ask for more.

I can only think of two characters that I'll be hesitant to play... and that's because I suck with them in Melee. That'd be Ice Climbers (can't use even remotely properly, not even counting advanced stuff) and Yoshi. All the others I'd be more than happy to play. I'll even give Game & Watch a second chance.

you took it out of context, lol, thats not fair. I mean't compared to toon link.:laugh:

ElectroBlade

Smash Journeyman
I played Brawl for the first time yesterday and I LOVED it. After I played it, I never wanted to play Melee again.

Uchiha.Sanosuke

Smash Journeyman
Anyone who says that Brawl is a disappointment has either not played it or had 3/4 of their brain removed.

Just sayin'.

S0crat3s

Smash Apprentice
1-Crappy character roster

2-Dumbed down gameplay

3-friend codes

4-Ganon is still a clone

Brawl is one of the biggest disappointments ever.
1- CRAPPY character roster!? There are so many cool new characters, and even the "clones" have individual playstiles...If you are complaining because we have Pit, Wario, Zamus, Ike, Pkmn Trainer, Diddy, Metaknight, Snake, Lucas, Sonic, Olimar, Wolf and Falco have had major changes from Fox (other than different landmasters and the fact that they still shoot something, gain altitude with their ^B, reflect something with their vB, and go in the faced direction with their >B), ROB looks like Pwnage, Toon Link is a MAJOR upgrade from Young Link, We've got DeDeDE, and IC don't suck as much, anymore...We have more new characters and way less characters than Melee, so it is a huge improvement...

2- Dumbed down? This is not Melee 2.0, and the only reason you think it's "dumbed down" is because you are trying to play it as such...Have you seen any of Brawls amazing combo videos? You should really see Gimpyfish's thread, it has a ton...

3- "Oh BAAAAAAAAAWW, we have to collect somebody's friend code in order to play against them." If you don't like it, play "With Everyone"...

4- He's been Luigified...His B moves may have stayed similar at first glance (besides the different animations, which are pretty cool), but if you look closely, they do different things...

S0crat3s

Smash Apprentice
You stupid ******. It wouldn't have been hard to make Ridley a boss and a PC. They did it with Lucario, with Wario, with Bowser (sort of)...
And the Ridley boss battles in SSE are lame, so it would have been better to not even do the former. SSE is such a waste of space--I almost guarantee you that with the exception of a few uber-obsessive gamers, people won't be replaying the SSE a month after Brawl comes out (though I'm predicting it will be sooner, like two weeks).
Have you played it?

Mama

Smash Ace
The thread fails because you can't really be disappointed in something you've never really experienced. At most the people who haven't played it can say that they have a grim outlook and then be flamed by the impolite people 'round here. The thread fails because its just another superfluous conversation starter of mindless banter. You don't fail but the topic certainly does.

Top Bottom