• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Brawl a disappointment?

StellaNova

Smash Journeyman
To how many people has Brawl, thus far, been a disappointment? No matter your experience with the game, whether it be hear-say or hands on, what do you think from what you've seen. Noting that the game isn't out yet, of course I keep in mind that a lot of people may not really know what you think. So what is it? So far, is this a disappointment for you or is it what you wanted Brawl to be?

Aleol

Smash Journeyman
It is not a disappointment, and most people that I've seen who say it is, think it's because some character wasn't included. And calling them lazy is just wrong. These people put a ton of effort into this game, too much to be called lazy. plus I love the replayability. It's better than melee that way

I'm not saying you called them lazy, it's just people keep saying that around the boards

Vicious Delicious

tetigit destruens
Switch FC
SW 0141 8170 9257
No, I don't see it as a disappointment. I think the only reasons that people are complaining are...

1) Their desired character(s) didn't make the cut.
2) Complaining about a lack or change to Advance Techs from Melee.

Change is needed; this isn't Melee 2.0. Once people start to really see that and accept the above two, I think opinions will start to improve.

StellaNova

Smash Journeyman
I have just seen a lot of complaining from the community and I haven't seen as much, comparatively, praise for Brawl, granted it isn't out to the masses of America or Europe yet. There is more dissent from it on these boards from reading the threads recently. Maybe it's just the initial setting in phase.

Sogeking

Smash Cadet
people are just saying it sucks just cause their favorite random char isn't there
it seems to be an incredibly polished game that will be able to last until the next wii

Solo Assass1n

Smash Journeyman
I have just seen a lot of complaining from the community and I haven't seen as much, comparatively, praise for Brawl, granted it isn't out to the masses of America or Europe yet. There is more dissent from it on these boards from reading the threads recently. Maybe it's just the initial setting in phase.
People on these boards seem to be upset and tired of waiting for it to come out, so they are just generally negative; at least, that's my guess.

Golem the Stern Father

Smash Champion
TyfighterLAND. Location#2: Illinois? Yeah.
The main reason people are disappointed in some aspects of Brawl are:
1. Set character did not get into roster (main reason)
2. The SSE was not as good as they anticipated (could use more character history)
3. No online ranking system (we have wifi, stop complaining)

Point being, having a game where everyone agrees on everything is impossible. (mega-reference: The Giver)
We just need to accept the game and fully appreciate the masterpiece that is Brawl. (and stop flamming Sakurai!)

Banjodorf

Dynamic Duo
NNID
bluefalcon27
3DS FC
2105-8715-5493
Brawl? a disappointment? What are you smoking?

Olimar is in it. Thus. It could not ever be a disapointment.

Venus of the Desert Bloom

Cosmic God
Super Moderator
Premium
BRoomer
Writing Team
NNID
VenusBloom
3DS FC
0318-9184-0547
Granted my favorite characters were not in as PC's and lack of assist trophies, but overall I am far from disappointed.

This game will be ****ing amazing :)

Mikau et al

Smash Journeyman
Not even the reasonable characters who had no reason NOT to be a PC became PCs. This game is Kirby fascism, and you all know it. Hence why a lot of people are unhappy with Brawl--all of the other series got poor representation in proportion to Kirby. The one character that I wanted in (not even wanted, more like forced myself to want) was also the most logical to put in, not some random one-timer; I figured it would limit my disappointment. Unfortunately, the roster doesn't make sense by any reasonable standards (see Official Brawl Discussion Thread, Page 6, for my full analysis of why we are unhappy with the Brawl roster), and thus my one character didn't make it. Thus, I have lost hope in the rationality of little Japanese video-game designers.

dizzam

Smash Cadet
I just played the game today and it is anything but a disappointment...

lookatthatbaconsizzle

Smash Journeyman
I just played the game today and it is anything but a disappointment...
Did you create an account JUST to say that? XD

::Edit::
Oh, and since other people are ranting now about representation, the only game that deserved more was Metroid. And of course Ganondorf de-cloned (For the LOVE!).

/~Dogma~\

Smash Lord
i got ike, FD, stg creator, and bs the black knight music, this game couldnt get any better

Fernie812

Smash Cadet
I haven't played yet, but the main reasons people have been calling it disappointments is because their most wanted character hasn't made it on the roster, and SSE not being as in-depth as they had hoped.
That being said, I personally believe that this game is not a disappointment at all, rather it exceeded my wildest expectations as to what was possible not only as a game, but as a project over all.
Oh, and people were upset by a lack of wifi rankings, but that could be done easily over the internet if people wanted to set that up.

lookatthatbaconsizzle

Smash Journeyman
I haven't played yet, but the main reasons people have been calling it disappointments is because their most wanted character hasn't made it on the roster, and SSE not being as in-depth as they had hoped.
That being said, I personally believe that this game is not a disappointment at all, rather it exceeded my wildest expectations as to what was possible not only as a game, but as a project over all.
Oh, and people were upset by a lack of wifi rankings, but that could be done easily over the internet if people wanted to set that up.
Only thing I'm upset about currently is how "lacking" (from videos I'VE seen) the Stage Builder is. Seriously, some blocks take up 3 times the amount of room on the map that they actually take up in the game!

dieslow

Smash Ace
i have brawl, and i'd say its a disapointment when u have a competitive, melee mindset.
the advanced techniques and suttle things that made melee so great have been removed.

Ex: auto sweetspotting makes edge guarding (while on the stage) a waste of energy 95% of the time

its still a very fun game and works in favor of those who aren't technical.

sfox8

Smash Journeyman
Not even the reasonable characters who had no reason NOT to be a PC became PCs. This game is Kirby fascism, and you all know it. Hence why a lot of people are unhappy with Brawl--all of the other series got poor representation in proportion to Kirby. The one character that I wanted in (not even wanted, more like forced myself to want) was also the most logical to put in, not some random one-timer; I figured it would limit my disappointment. Unfortunately, the roster doesn't make sense by any reasonable standards (see Official Brawl Discussion Thread, Page 6, for my full analysis of why we are unhappy with the Brawl roster), and thus my one character didn't make it. Thus, I have lost hope in the rationality of little Japanese video-game designers.
Once again I say, Kirby is NOT over-represented. Kirby series has been UNDER represented for the past two games. It's THREE characters. If that's over-representation then we might as well call this game Super PokeMario Bros. Brawl.

Some series did get under-represented. Metroid was in need for at least ONE new character. Ridley would have been great.

Again I ask, how is adding two new characters from a series over-representation? The Mario series has Mario, Peach, Bowser, Wario and Yoshi, and if you want to count DK and Diddy then that makes 7 for Mario. Legend of Zelda has Link, Zelda, Shiek, Ganondorf AND Toon Link. That's 5. StarFox has the same amount as Kirby does. Fox, Falco, Wolf. The only difference is that Falco was added in Melee and Wolf was added in Brawl. If the same thing had been done with Kirby, then MetaKnight would have been added in Melee and Dedede would have been in Brawl. Pokemon has Pikachu, Jigglypuff and Lucario, on top of the many pokeball pokemon. They were even more over-represented in Melee.

I'm not trying to be hostile or anything here, but I seriously don't understand the claims of the Kirby series being over-represented. Just accept that some of the characters you wanted didn't get in. I wanted some new Metroid characters, among Isaac and Geno but it didn't happen. Oh well. Maybe next time. But really, blaming a series (that was under-represented for the past two games) for making Brawl "disappointing" is completely bogus.

lengeta

Smash Ace
I didn't like Brawl for the first 10-ish minutes. After that initial adjustment I love it to death. I still catch my self trying to l-cancel aerial and getting Falco's new moves mixed up with his old.

orintemple

Smash Lord
If having my hands shake uncontrollably from excitement the first time I played it is disappointment then yes, it is a disappointment.

So no.

DraginHikari

Emerald Star Legacy
NNID
Draginhikari
3DS FC
4940-5455-2427
Switch FC
SW-7120-1891-0342
I didn't like Brawl for the first 10-ish minutes. After that initial adjustment I love it to death. I still catch my self trying to l-cancel aerial and getting Falco's new moves mixed up with his old.
That's pretty much the response I've seen from people that import that I know online. No one has yet told me they downright don't like it.

dizzam

Smash Cadet
Did you create an account JUST to say that? XD

::Edit::
Oh, and since other people are ranting now about representation, the only game that deserved more was Metroid. And of course Ganondorf de-cloned (For the LOVE!).
Lol, nah. I actually just decided to post since Brawl is so goddam good... and I don't really post alot .___.;

Mikau et al

Smash Journeyman
Once again I say, Kirby is NOT over-represented. Kirby series has been UNDER represented for the past two games. It's THREE characters. If that's over-representation then we might as well call this game Super PokeMario Bros. Brawl.

Some series did get under-represented. Metroid was in need for at least ONE new character. Ridley would have been great.

Again I ask, how is adding two new characters from a series over-representation? The Mario series has Mario, Peach, Bowser, Wario and Yoshi, and if you want to count DK and Diddy then that makes 7 for Mario. Legend of Zelda has Link, Zelda, Shiek, Ganondorf AND Toon Link. That's 5. StarFox has the same amount as Kirby does. Fox, Falco, Wolf. The only difference is that Falco was added in Melee and Wolf was added in Brawl. If the same thing had been done with Kirby, then MetaKnight would have been added in Melee and Dedede would have been in Brawl. Pokemon has Pikachu, Jigglypuff and Lucario, on top of the many pokeball pokemon. They were even more over-represented in Melee.

I'm not trying to be hostile or anything here, but I seriously don't understand the claims of the Kirby series being over-represented. Just accept that some of the characters you wanted didn't get in. I wanted some new Metroid characters, among Isaac and Geno but it didn't happen. Oh well. Maybe next time. But really, blaming a series (that was under-represented for the past two games) for making Brawl "disappointing" is completely bogus.
The fact that Ridley is not a PC implies that Sakurai was on crack when he made this roster. It just doesn't make sense.
And if you actually read my analysis (if you're going to assault my claims), it's not that Kirby is actually overrepresented (in the roster, anyway, although SSE is another problem), it's the fact that the huge increases in Kirby representation implied at least moderate increases in Mario/Zelda/Pokemon rep (and definitely Metroid), even accounting for Melee's deficiencies. Even the most conservative and rational extrapolations based on what Sakurai revealed on the Dojo predicted a much better roster than what we actually got. Thus, many people are disappointed because Sakurai sucks at PR (and other things, but mostly that). My personal gripes are that it didn't even remotely live up to expectations, mine and otherwise.

Regarding DK/Diddy: DK split off from the Mario franchise early enough to count as an independent franchise. Rare worked on that for a very long time, not Nintendo. And Diddy has never been in any canon Mario games. If you need any more proof: they have their own series symbol/music/everything. While Yoshi is a stretch, he/she/it got lucky and also counts as a separate franchise. Warioware needs no explaining; same deal. And you forgot Luigi. As a whole, I find that your post reveals a substandard appreciation for the Mario series. The Mario series really only has four Brawl reps: one less than Melee. People were expecting at least one more Mario rep to fill Docs place, two if we were really lucky, especially if Kirby got a net gain of one (if you consider that its deserved rep count for Melee would have been two). People were very reasonable about their predictions based on Dojo updates and mostly ignoring Dojo hype and Sakurai still came up short.

Top Bottom