• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Brawl 1-Stock Ruleset: For Better or For Worse?

How do you feel about the new 1-Stock Ruleset for Brawl?

• I like it.

Votes: 204 42.7%
  • I don't like it.

Votes: 124 25.9%
  • I'm neutral.

Votes: 150 31.4%

• Total voters

pidgezero_one

((((((((((( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°) gotta go fast!
NNID
pidgezero_one
3DS FC
3222-5601-4071
I honestly question people who want brawl to die for smash 4. If you don't want brawl dubs to stay alive then your taste sucks

pidgezero_one

((((((((((( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°) gotta go fast!
NNID
pidgezero_one
3DS FC
3222-5601-4071
You basically followed a half-***** not-really-apology with a smack-in-the-face insulting of what those same people hold dear. You took your own word as truth, and talked as if everyone who plays Brawl is ********. Not exactly the epitome of civility if you ask me.
I'm glad to see someone else calling this kind of stuff out. Saying a couple words about "I respect the community I guess" followed by 3 paragraphs of ****ting on the game is not being respectful, it's not you gracefully and magnanimously trying to extend an olive branch, it's jumping on and poisoning the #oneunit bandwagon you clearly don't even believe in

Stryker

Smash Journeyman
Well, my bad on that, but even if it was incorrect it was a pretty safe assumption at the time.

Yes, I read the article. Last time I checked, articles were not scholarly documents. And besides, "diminishing popularity" still does not imply impending death. There are die-hard Brawl-ers just like there are die-hard Melee-ers, there just aren't as many of them.

You basically followed a half-***** not-really-apology with a smack-in-the-face insulting of what those same people hold dear. You took your own word as truth, and talked as if everyone who plays Brawl is ********. Not exactly the epitome of civility if you ask me.
Sorry if that didn't come off as sincere enough for you, but don't worry, I'm this argumentative in person too.
And to be honest, it's not correct to make judgements on groups of people for no baseless reasons. Its was just quickly typed. My apologies. There is literally never a situation where this is the right thing to do, so I was wrong there.

Maybe I have the opinon that anyone who plays brawl is ********, and thats why I talk that way. Maybe I don't.
I could get into the argument that people naturally will play the better game and thus more people play Melee/PM/64 as has been shown at least at my local tournaments. But as I stated early, had brawlers not been on decline, this article wouldn't exist. I never said brawl was dead, just dying, and there is probably a reason for it.

You have your right to think whatever you like about brawl, but I reserve the right to think what I do as well. And express it.

Muro

Smash Lord
2 stocks solves nothing. After the first player gets a stock he turns to camping. With 1 stock both are always fighting for the % lead, which is way easier to steal than a stock+% lead and makes for more entertaining matches. If you need to increase the stock pool per set, increase the number of matches, not the number of stocks per match. None of this matters anyway since it wont change, and smash 4 is around the corner, but I really think this is the thing that could save brawl.

_yuna

Smash Apprentice
I believe they should add items to the one-stock format. Like, Smart Bombs, and choose the highest item drop rate. I know I would derive great enjoyment out of the ensuing chaos.

In all seriousness, the one-stock format has made me consider picking up Brawl. But personally I believe the ruleset should cater to the actual fans of Brawl, and not the potential fans it might receive from using the new ruleset.

If Brawl ever comes really close to fading into obscurity, I believe that is when Brawl players will consider the one-stock format. Assuming it actually garnered that much attention from the spectators.

And as a side note; whenever some change to the games is considered, and it is based on a spectators view of it all, it really just feels like there's a little bit of "hey, mom, I wanna be e-sports when I grow up :)" behind it.

ぱみゅ

❤ ~
NNID
kyo.pamyu.pamyu
3DS FC
4785-5700-5699
Switch FC
SW 3264 5694 6605
I love that people always go to the extremes.
Do 2 stocks, see how it goes. Then decide.

TOs need to experiment,

Pepto

Smash Cadet
"Brawl sucks." "Brawl is dying." "Brawl is boring." Can we grow up? We like it. Whining about how much you don't won't make us stop liking it. I can't stand Melee and think PM is only decent, but I've never told anyone who plays them that they should die, and I'm not going to. They've got their game, we have ours. As for spectating, if you don't like it, don't watch it. Some of us like the stamina and mind games associated with Brawl, and I personally prefer watching longer, 3 stock matches. I'm sure other people don't, I'm sure other people do. Can we just let people do their thing?

OgiEthan

Smash Apprentice
NNID
OgiEthan
3DS FC
2766-9108-2825
As a general smash player (64/melee/brawl) who'd been getting really bored with brawl for a number of reasons (local scene was dying, started to enjoy melee much more, and felt overdone with brawl), I believed 1-stock was going to be a nice refresher. I tried it, and hated it, immediately. It's still somewhat fun, it's faster, but it changes brawl entirely. Brawl is a game where you're supposed to be able to adapt to your opponent's play-style. (As are all the smash games). With 1-stock, you don't get the chance. Even with more games added to the set.

OgiEthan

Smash Apprentice
NNID
OgiEthan
3DS FC
2766-9108-2825
I'd also like to say, I am going to test out 2-stock sometime soon. Although I still believe 3-stock is the best way to play brawl.

Seagull Joe

Smash Legend
NNID
SeagullJoe
As a high level brawl player for a non-high tier character and long time member of the smash community, I'd like to provide my input on this subject:

Overall, I feel 1 stock is awful. I do not support it at all and will never travel out of state if that is the tournament I'd be going to. I don't deserve to pay $5/$10 to lose/beat someone by only taking 3-5 stocks. That's a true waste of money and I might as well main :metaknight:. I'd pick up :zerosuitsamus: for obvious reasons as well. I'd go so far as to say 1 stock brawl DECREASES character viability more-so then anything.

2 stock is better then 1 stock, but also horrible because it becomes "Whoever takes the first stock wins". :snake: becomes top 3 in the game again in this ruleset for sure. I would not mind playing 2 stocks 6 minutes tho if brawl had to come to this. At least that's more fair then 1 stock and still allows both adaptation and viability

3 stock is ideal for a competitive environment for brawl because it allows time for adaptation and character viability.

Camping is a powerful tool/strategy in any of the smash games. Regardless of whether you change stocks in melee, pm, 64, or brawl, the games can still be campy. It's up to the player's style/actions.

The obvious answer, which would have yielded the best results back in 2012 would have been to ban :metaknight: and limit :popo:'s cg. Too late now tho.

:018:

Seagull Joe

Smash Legend
NNID
SeagullJoe
Also, it highly irks me as a player that smash has become more important for the spectators to enjoy viewing compared to the players playing...Streams have ultimately ruined what smash used to mainly be about :(.

Muro

Smash Lord
Overall, I feel 1 stock is awful. I do not support it at all and will never travel out of state if that is the tournament I'd be going to. I don't deserve to pay $5/$10 to lose/beat someone by only taking 3-5 stocks.
you say that like it's impossible to increase the number of matches per set. the equivalent to a bo3 with 3 stock is a bo11 with 1 stock. The only difference here is that you don't carry the lead from stock to stock, which is what makes this rule set good imo.

Cassio

Smash Master
You have your right to think whatever you like about brawl, but I reserve the right to think what I do as well. And express it.
Some opinions are more correct than others. I never understood why PM players of all people would point fingers, when quite honestly its the easiest version of smash and can be criticized just as easily. There's a lot of knowledge that goes into smash and criticizing without the right info sends the wrong message.

Last edited:

Jiggle4Life

Smash Ace
I am a melee/pm player but I still love brawl
1 stock is cool but it kills brawls hardcore adaption factor I'm not going to hate on it and I don't think it will make it to where anyone can win
And it also makes it to where characters like yoshi have a chance
This is my input. Hope the brawl scene never dies

B.A.M.

Smash Lord
NNID
Bambatta
I dont believe 1 stock is the way to play; there simply too much lost in a single stock from the what matters in brawl. It also increase the probability of a match lost to a trip and NO ONE wants to see that. All in all I think its been clear since day one this game shouldve been a 2 stock iteration of Smash. Long time ago I recall someone having some numbers ( probably was John Numbers haha) in regards to winning statistics. the opponent who took the second stock was 95% more likely to come out on top at the end of the match. I believe that its suffice to say that not much is lost from the 3 to 2 stock iteration. 2 stock gives ample time to adapt to opponents footsies and caters to the speed of the brawl current metagame. Hands down its much more enjoyable to watch than a 3 stock match and it isnt as absurd as a 1 stock.

# 2 STOCKMASTERRACEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE

Sovereign

Game Reaper
NNID
Sovereign90
Indeed, the way I see it Melee is fine at 4 stocks [PM isn't and should be at 3 stocks imo] and Brawl should be at 2. As far as Smash 4 is concerned, all announcements hint towards Smash being somewhere between Brawl and Melee in terms of pace, so I think Melee should stay at 4 stocks, PM and Smash 4 should be at 3 stocks [9 Minutes] and Brawl should be at 2 stocks 6 minutes.

:059:

No. I, nor does anyone else who pays to get into and play tournaments, want to have to even fathom the thought of watching a 9-minute timeout. In fact, the time constraints should be squished down.

Sovereign

Game Reaper
NNID
Sovereign90
I've literally never touched Melee in my life. Never owned a Gamecube.
Why did you even make a post to begin with? You've deemed Brawl "inferior", yet according to your quote, you have no base to support that. Why even bother to post your "opinion" when they first thing you say to someone who has assumed you to be a Melee player is: "I've literally never touched Melee in my life. Never owned a Gamecube."?

Stryker

Smash Journeyman
Why did you even make a post to begin with? You've deemed Brawl "inferior", yet according to your quote, you have no base to support that. Why even bother to post your "opinion" when they first thing you say to someone who has assumed you to be a Melee player is: "I've literally never touched Melee in my life. Never owned a Gamecube."?
I bothered to post because I have opinions on brawl not on melee.
I deem brawl inferior because I have played other games in the series which I believe do that concept significantly more justice, such as 64 or PM.
More importantly, I deem brawl inferior because I played it for a few years and then finally found out what real smash is like and I'm spiteful because I wasted my time.
Melee was not part of my opinion when I wrote that post, because I hadn't played it so I couldn't compare, but melee is not the only better smash game, so I don't need it to say that brawl is inferior.
By the way, I actually entered a Melee tournament at my last smash event and did okay, so I can't claim never playing melee any more, but it doesn't surprise me that I would probably prefer it over brawl or 64.

ぱみゅ

❤ ~
NNID
kyo.pamyu.pamyu
3DS FC
4785-5700-5699
Switch FC
SW 3264 5694 6605
What does that even mean Stryker?
What made 64 and Melee "more Smash-like" than Brawl?

I thought all three games were mean to be fun.... and that's abut it.

Sovereign

Game Reaper
NNID
Sovereign90
I bothered to post because I have opinions on brawl not on melee.
I deem brawl inferior because I have played other games in the series which I believe do that concept significantly more justice, such as 64 or PM.
More importantly, I deem brawl inferior because I played it for a few years and then finally found out what real smash is like and I'm spiteful because I wasted my time.
Melee was not part of my opinion when I wrote that post, because I hadn't played it so I couldn't compare, but melee is not the only better smash game, so I don't need it to say that brawl is inferior.
By the way, I actually entered a Melee tournament at my last smash event and did okay, so I can't claim never playing melee any more, but it doesn't surprise me that I would probably prefer it over brawl or 64.
All of your post is just troll bait.

You're taking your frustrations out on an inanimate object, and being spiteful because you feel like you wasted your time, while you find other Smash games more fun that Brawl? Correct me if I'm wrong, but that's pretty much the tl;dr of what you posted, and it's by far the most irrational thing I've ever had the displeasure of reading.

Stryker

Smash Journeyman
All of your post is just troll bait.
You act as if baiting out trolls isn't a massively enjoyable experience.

I totally love arguing with people who are more stupid than I, if only more people would say dumb things to me so I can point it out. I would continue to do so with your post, but this has gone on long enough and I'm bored of the topic.

Sovereign

Game Reaper
NNID
Sovereign90
You act as if baiting out trolls isn't a massively enjoyable experience.

I totally love arguing with people who are more stupid than I, if only more people would say dumb things to me so I can point it out. I would continue to do so with your post, but this has gone on long enough and I'm bored of the topic.

Top Bottom