• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Bowser's Makeover for Smash!

Pheta Ray

Smash Ace
I think in Smash 4 they will make Bowser look, well, cleaner. In Brawl he was built to be this slow, tank-like, I'm-gonna-survive-to-150%-with-ease kind of character. He was big, hulking, looked scary, and dangerous.

But in Smash 4, it looks like Bowser still retains that concept of being big and hulking but, like Koopa said, he looks more plastic. It's a cleaner look from his Brawl counterpart. I personally like it.

Zzuxon

Smash Champion
NNID
zzuxon
3DS FC
3695-0453-0481
It's fantastic. One of my favorite things about the game so far.

NitrusVirus

Smash Ace
3DS FC
0361-6571-8413
Easily my favorite design of him thus far ^^ Ever since before Brawl Ive wanted him to look more like his cartoon-ish colorful Super Mario 64-Sunshine-and so on incarnations. When I saw that he was redesigned AND his moveset was revamped I got sooo so pumped to play as him.

smasherbound93

Smash Rookie
I love it is very colorful and at the same time bad *** certainly one of the best designs for the game at least right now.

SKM_NeoN

Smash Journeyman
His model is really good, but I still think Melee Bowser is the best, both in visual design and moveset. I'll probably main him once again though.

CardiganBoy

Smash Lord
Man, im playing Mario & Luigi: Bowsers Inside Story, and his voice sounds badass, i would love to see him with his actual voice from newer Mario games, just imagine him saying "SHOWTIME"

SlickWylde

Smash Champion
3DS FC
1349-5237-9158
So Bowser seems to be a good amount taller in SSB4, but has anyone put together a height scale showing the difference? In other words, comparing his size to other characters in Brawl, and then in SSB4 so we can get an idea.

Silvalfo

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Silvalfo
Bowser looks taller, but his size overall looks the same, they just fixed his vertebrae.

He'll get hit by all kinds of SH aerials (not like he wasn't previously anyway), but at least his big head won't stick out to easy grabs and spaced moves.

HammerHappy

Smash Apprentice
I definitely like his new model aesthetic wise. It seems a lot of work has been going into making the characters appealing and pop out of the stage.

Also, his arms seem longer so perhaps that will give him a little range boost for neutral As.

Superyoshiom

Smash Master
NNID
Superyoshiom
All the characters seem to look more like themselves in their respective games, it does them justice.

Cpt.

Smash Lord
I was hoping that Sakurai would take out Bowser's gimmicky side B from Brawl and put Melee's back in......... :/

S_B

Too Drunk to Smash
Switch FC
SW 5369-1969-6280
I was hoping that Sakurai would take out Bowser's gimmicky side B from Brawl and put Melee's back in......... :/
I want both.

I'd still vastly prefer to be able to Bowsercide people, crocodile-style (aka coming up and grabbing someone standing on a ledge, then pulling them down via Bowsercide).

Cpt.

Smash Lord
I want both.

I'd still vastly prefer to be able to Bowsercide people, crocodile-style (aka coming up and grabbing someone standing on a ledge, then pulling them down via Bowsercide).
His melee grab was so badass though. The bowserside just makes him look like a wrestler.

S_B

Too Drunk to Smash
Switch FC
SW 5369-1969-6280
His melee grab was so badass though. The bowserside just makes him look like a wrestler.
I agree, but I loved what you could do with Bowsercide, especially off the stage where there was zero hope of recovery for your opponent.

Cpt.

Smash Lord
I agree, but I loved what you could do with Bowsercide, especially off the stage where there was zero hope of recovery for your opponent.
Yeah I always thought that was lame haha

Probly because that is all my firend did to me with Bowser so I told myself I'd never use the attack.

S_B

Too Drunk to Smash
Switch FC
SW 5369-1969-6280
Yeah I always thought that was lame haha

Probly because that is all my firend did to me with Bowser so I told myself I'd never use the attack.
Yeah, it was fairly lame, though Bowser is still a big ol' target in the air so it can easily backfire on him.

BowserK.Rool

Smash Champion
I like his new move set, Bowser usually always ran in the Mario games so it's cool that they incorporated that into SSB4, I love his new design as well. Pretty much everything else is awesome, can't wait to play as him again soon. Oh, and I too dig the new drop kick lol.

Diddy Kong

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-1597-979602774
Bigger is better, so it fixed some range issues he had.

S_B

Too Drunk to Smash
Switch FC
SW 5369-1969-6280
Bigger is better, so it fixed some range issues he had.
It's too early to say that, sadly.

Bowser's range could be half the screen, but that's meaningless if the rest of the cast has a range of the entire screen.

We won't know until we start comparing matchups in actual gameplay. I've seen no evidence to suggest that Bowser won't be just as screwed as he was in Brawl. :\

Last edited:

Xcano

Smash Lord
NNID
Xcano128
3DS FC
4511-1143-2506
Given that Bowser has longer arms in this game (stretches?) I do think he will be middle-ish tier when it comes out.

Xcano

Smash Lord
NNID
Xcano128
3DS FC
4511-1143-2506
I think there's a greater chance of Bowser getting a new Final Smash, since it would be a larger stretch for his cartoony self to become Giga Bowser, a more realistic character.

Koopa Clown Car for the win!
Giga Bowser wasn't super realistic in Melee like he was in Brawl (which admittedly is probably just due to console differences) but since this game is trying to be more like Melee my guess is that if he does become Giga Bowser he will have brighter colors than before and "pop out" better. I think the only reason he looked as realistic as he did was because of his colors being so dark.

S_B

Too Drunk to Smash
Switch FC
SW 5369-1969-6280
Given that Bowser has longer arms in this game (stretches?) I do think he will be middle-ish tier when it comes out.
Do we have a comparison chart of his Brawl range vs. his SSB4 range?

Even with that, we won't truly know until hitbox analysis has happened.

Nitros14

Smash Journeyman
I'm disgusted by the assertion Bowser should be smaller. There's a whole cast of small or medium characters to choose from. You choose Bowser you signed up for the biggest, baddest character there is.

Swamp Sensei

Today is always the most enjoyable day!
BRoomer
NNID
Swampasaur
3DS FC
4141-2776-0914
Switch FC
SW-6476-1588-8392
So.... It looks like Bowser is just an itty bitty bit taller, eh?

Neat!

S_B

Too Drunk to Smash
Switch FC
SW 5369-1969-6280
I'm disgusted by the assertion Bowser should be smaller. There's a whole cast of small or medium characters to choose from. You choose Bowser you signed up for the biggest, baddest character there is.
I'll only be happy if it means something beneficial for Bowser, as in his increased size grants him increased range AND he has overall more hitbox when he attacks (hitbox that'll hopefully be backed up with super armor).

I will admit that I like his new look better. Just REALLY hoping it means something for his combat prowess.

Last edited:

Trigger123

Smash Journeyman
bowser isn't even really taller he just decided to actually stand all the way up in this game.

Lochnis

Smash Rookie
The way I see this remake on Bowser, he's not all that much taller, BUT he does seem to have a 'thinner' model, so that might help him. Also, he seems to have slightly longer arms which could help him. It all really depends on his hitboxes along with everyone elses'.

GmanSir

Smash Journeyman
NNID
GmanSir
I'll only be happy if it means something beneficial for Bowser, as in his increased size grants him increased range AND he has overall more hitbox when he attacks (hitbox that'll hopefully be backed up with super armor).

I will admit that I like his new look better. Just REALLY hoping it means something for his combat prowess.
I wouldn't worry about him being as bad as he was in Brawl. He will only move up. That faster speed, longer range, and in the little mac video it shows that he will be hard to knock out.

S_B

Too Drunk to Smash
Switch FC
SW 5369-1969-6280
The way I see this remake on Bowser, he's not all that much taller, BUT he does seem to have a 'thinner' model, so that might help him. Also, he seems to have slightly longer arms which could help him. It all really depends on his hitboxes along with everyone elses'.
A hundred thousand times, THIS!

I want to believe that Bowser will be doing better this time around, but we all thought Brawl was going to do him a huge favor and it turns out that nothing could've been further from the truth (IIRC, Gimpy prefers melee Bowser, still).

I honestly don't think speculation is even worthwhile until we've had the game for at least a month.

However, I'm not even optimistic because Bowser still doesn't have an answer to projectile spammers and those are likely still going to wreck his face like they did in Brawl.

As long as "Dodge around Bowser and run to the other end of the stage and spam projectiles at him" is still a viable strategy, I don't think he'll break C-tier.

Last edited:

Smash G

Smash Journeyman
Every time they show the new Bowser models I love them. Love Bowser. I really wish I could main him.

ImaClubYou

Smash Lord
NNID
ImaClubYou_Louie
3DS FC
3453-9816-8856
Brawl Bowser is taller if he stood up straight. SSB4's Bowser is smaller in an anatomic sense.

Mario & Sonic Guy

Old rivalries live on!
NNID
TPitch5
3DS FC
5327-1637-5096
Considering that Bowser now stands with a straighter pose, he's not quite as big as in Brawl, where he was hunched over most of the time.

The following is just a size comparison that I did up, to at least give you an idea on the size change.

Top Bottom