• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Smash 3DS Bowser's coming for weaves: What do you think of the game after the 3DS tournament?

NoiseHERO

Smash Journeyman
NNID
NoiseHERO
3DS FC
4038-7106-6271
Early in every thing was meh, and it was making me feel worried for 3DS version even.

But nope even on handheld the game seems solid/legit.

Now I'm even more hyped to grab it since I can't get wii-u version for a while.

Smash-on-the-go hype is real! <_>

rittzler

Smash Rookie
NNID
rittzler
"i'm so boned if bowser is top tier"
i have a horrible time fighting heavies ~.~

no, but seriously. i'll enjoy it no matter what, never a doubt there. i'm feeling a bit better about it as a spectator sport, however. i've heard a lot of stuff about how brawl was overly defensive, slow, and boring as a result.
but for smash 4 with two players who seem to have a reasonable grasp of what they're doing, it was pretty entertaining. i hope combos are a bit easier to pull off in the final build, but besides that, seems good! let's go! done. ship it. i'll take my copy right now!

pls

f u j i n

Banned via Warnings
Warning Received
Not such an ugly, fat character like bowser being the true wig snatcher of smash 4.

Octillus

Smash Ace
NNID
Octillus
3DS FC
0963-0987-3528
I love the hyper aggressive look and feel of Smash 4 - it feels like Godzilla fighting Mecha Godzilla.

Aguki90

Smash Ace
NNID
Aguki900
3DS FC
2423-2759-1478
The 3DS of Smash look amazing on the Twitch Channel. The game, Finally I can taste and see its full potential of the moves, the graphic and that gameplay.

Though Bowser is smashing butt very hard. I'm impress with Bowser change, He feel I was watching a newcomer than a Veteran!

D

Deleted member

deleted account

Last edited by a moderator:

DrRiceBoy

Smash Lord
NNID
ricesenpai
3DS FC
4699-6411-5910
It looks like it actually has potential to be an offensive game (which I think is a VERY good thing), and my buddy Bowser looks very very good this time around. I'm extremely pleased with this. :D

Super Writer

Smash Apprentice
Is it bad that Bowser looks so broken right now and I'm completely okay with it? Because the Bowser vs Bowser match ups were my personally favorite ones to watch, ha ha!

I had mixed feelings about 3DS Smash, but I'm now actually a bit more excited for it than the Wii U version.

Altais

Smash Champion
Starbase, where no turtle has gone before.
Now that I have had the chance to see more footage of the 3DS version, I must say the game looks amazing!

And, though I seriously doubt I will end up maining him, as I am just not good with heavyweight characters, I REALLY love what they have done with King Koopa this time around. He definitely seems much better than he has been in previous iterations.

And to think, this is just a demo that was built several months ago. Just imagine what the finished project is going to be like!

Omniomega

Smash Apprentice
The amount of hype from playing in the tournament was amazing. And fighting so many Bowsers was indeed a challenge but overall just playing the game felt great.

Last edited:

DownWitDaWaveDash

Smash Apprentice
It was awesome seeing Bowser, and seeing that the 3DS version is capable of so much

WHERE WAS THE EDGE GUARDING?

I failed to see the reason to actually go off stage and hit someone further. 2 off stage bowser f-airs.... And they still come back. Just stay on the stage and wait paitently for them to arrive on stage again. -_________-

I swear this ledge mechanic and ledge magnet must die

Mensrea

Smash Cadet
NNID
Mensrea
I came out of the even wanting Smash 3DS slightly more, while also being slightly worried that the final build is going to play exactly like this.

I really think the 3DS version is beautiful. Watching it on the twitch stream in 60 fps was an eye opener.
Bowser looks hella fun to play as.

On the other hand. The landing lag is still there, and it frustrates me because removing it would make the game 10 times better. Seriously, it's so important that the lag is reduced, but I'm not sure if it will be and we won't know for another two months. Also, we need dash dancing. Cmon Sakurai, you can take away all the techs, but dash dancing is super fun, and useful. Please please put it in.

Game in it's current state does look like a slightly boosted Brawl. I know that's a inflammatory opinion, that many will hang me for, but to me, it really looks like Brawl right now.

Hoping for a bit more change before release. Not expecting it unfortunately.

TaichiYaegashi

Smash Ace
On the other hand. The landing lag is still there, and it frustrates me because removing it would make the game 10 times better.
The build used was the same as the E3 build. They even stated this multiple times in the stream.

I agree though, hopefully there's way less landing lag in the final version.

Katy Parry

The Only Zelda in Indiana
NNID
justysuxx
I'm still skeptical. Alot of the gameplay looked like it had the same campiness as Brawl, and players were getting punished almost ALL the time for being agressive, save for Bowser players.

-it's not melee
-it's not melee
-it's not melee
-it's not melee
-it's not melee
-it's not melee

Granted, the grand finals WERE pretty cool, but it was also the only good-looking match in the whole tournament, and a Bowser ditto at that. If the whole game is based on counterattacks like shown here, I don't see this game going anywhere epic in the long run, especially not when people figure out the metagame.

Apologies for not continueing the positive atmosphere, but that's just my 2 cents. I wish to be wrong.

Kidding.

The Grand Finals were perfect. Again, these people really haven't had what, more than a day to play and practice this entirely new game.

That being said, I don't agree with the Samus/Bowser statement, unless I didn't read it right. I would hope the idea of the game is to make everyone have a chance against everyone. Sure that's hard to do, but characters shouldn't really counter each other. That makes the game no fun.

ChikoLad

Purple Boi
I think the Wii U version will still be the go to game for local tournaments.

There was never any doubt that the 3DS version would be competitively viable (as well as the Wii U version) in my eyes. But both games play the exact same in terms of characters. Hence, people who only own the 3DS version can still play just fine on the Wii U, and enter Wii U tournaments. Tournaments will mostly still use Wii U because it's much easier and cheaper to stream, with a much better payoff (higher resolution and prettier graphics overall). Plus, the Wii U version has more competitively viable stages by the looks of it. Many of the 3DS versions stages make me scream "#BANNED" as soon as I look at them, while a lot of the Wii U ones actually seem pretty well suited for competitive play.

Still hoping Smash Run gets tournaments or something, though.

Last edited:

Dooms

KY/KP Joey
NNID
Doomsyplusle
3DS FC
2921-9568-4629
I'm still skeptical. Alot of the gameplay looked like it had the same campiness as Brawl, and players were getting punished almost ALL the time for being agressive, save for Bowser players.

-Shield-grabbing and acting out of your shields is EXTREMELY effective.
-There's the Brawl airdodge, letting you dodge anything anytime in midair with relatively no risk.
-The throws rarely set up for combos.
-Plus the lack of edgeguarding with nothing to replace it don't help the game's pace at all.
-Sakurai's lack of knowledge proper character balancing shows again, ESPECIALLY if you take into account his "intended audience"(low to mid-skill players). It feels like the same old story with Brawl's. Somehow Samus was considered the most powerfull character despite what we've seen Bowser do here today. No low-skill Samus would win against a low-skill Bowser, ever.

Granted, the grand finals WERE pretty cool, but it was also the only good-looking match in the whole tournament, and a Bowser ditto at that. If the whole game is based on counterattacks like shown here, I don't see this game going anywhere epic in the long run, especially not when people figure out the metagame.

Apologies for not continueing the positive atmosphere, but that's just my 2 cents. I wish to be wrong.
Of course shield grabbing and shield related things are effective. Do you not realize how idiotic it would be if they weren't effective? The only counter to attacks would be pivot grabs and attempting to counter attacks yourself (Which leads to very poor balancing. Choose the character that wins most trades). This isn't melee. Without a wave dash, you kind of need a good shield so it doesn't turn into a practice room combo -> win game. That would be so impossible to balance, and characters like Samus would be useless because they have no options once you go in. That's stupid.

Please tell me how you know there is relatively no risk to air dodging (hint: There's a pretty big risk in brawl). When you play the game, you learn that you can punish air dodges by abusing the vulnerability they have after part of their air dodge, which gives you time to hit them.

Please tell me how you know that Samus is worse than Bowser in a 1v1 setting? Do you realize how much better of an FFA character Bowser is than Samus? Think about what Samus wants to do and imagine trying to do that with three other people on the stage. Yeah... good luck.

What you don't realize is that there is a way to beat shield grabs. It's called spacing. Do you know what these people that are new to the game don't have? Proper spacing. No one should get away freely for using a move like Bowser's FSmash on shield, so you will get grabbed for it. However, you will probably be able to properly space his down tilt and get away with not getting grabbed.

Do you want to play offensively? Learn how to space with your character and how their spacing compares to other characters. Learn the times to go in and the times to stay away. Learn how to pressure your opponent into doing dumb crap with the spacing and cooldowns on your move set (aka making them go in on something that they think they can punish but you know that they can't). Learn to optimize your damage output when you do go in. Just because there aren't combos and just because people can shield grab horrible attempts at going in doesn't mean the game isn't offensive. :|

Reila

the true enemy of humanity is anime
I am even more certain that I won't be needing the Wii U version, after the tournament. Smash 3DS looks amazing and judging by the impressions I read, the game plays flawlessly as well! I really can't wait for October. I am even considering picking the digital version of the game now, just to have it day one (where I live, the only option I have for physical games is to buy them online and I really don't feel like waiting days for my copy to arrive).

wafflini

Smash Apprentice
does anyone know where i can watch the tournament? I cant find any of it. I missed the stream :(

Oracle_Summon

Smash Hero
My decision in having :4bowser: as a main never seemed better.

I am going to rock him once the 3DS version comes out. (I am used to 3DS controls)

Edit: Unlocking things, here I come. :demon:

Last edited:

Ehn Jolly

Smash Journeyman
If you're going to watch the stream, skip to like hour 5 or so, since the entire thing is god awful.

As for Smash, I am now seriously hype over how good this game looks now. There's no doubt in my mind this is a full fledged game now, and not some 'time waster' until the Wii U version. It's going to be hella to have this game take off like this, and I have a good amount of friends picking it up as well.

I can't wait to try out some of the other characters, tool around with Big Daddy B., and see how everyone else plays though.

SmashWolf

Smash Journeyman
NNID
EchoSon
3DS FC
3738-0429-7658
I don't agree with the Samus/Bowser statement, unless I didn't read it right. I would hope the idea of the game is to make everyone have a chance against everyone. Sure that's hard to do, but characters shouldn't really counter each other. That makes the game no fun.
I'm saying Bowser seems to be the easier option to win among people that don't play on professional levels, even in 1vs1's. Just look at Bowser's success rate compared to other characters. Now, whether Bowser keeps that spot or not in more professional games(when Sm4sh has been out for a year or 2), remains to be seen. But...the way people played in the tournament(nobody was really above the mid-skill level due to it being their first time) is the way Sakurai intended for the game to be played. So, he blatantly made Bowser way overpowered for his demographic. The lack of Samus success rate vs Bowser's, and even Hugs not wanting to play Samus at the invitational, proves just how badly Sakurai seems to understand proper balancing.

Do you mean edge hogging? Cause I saw plenty of edge guarding in that grand final.
You're right. I mixed up my words.

==Long quote about shield grabbing and Bowser vs Samus==
I'm not saying there's no ways at all to counter these, I'm saying Nintendo boosted it's effectiveness unnecessarily even further. Shield grabbing has been a thing in every Smash, but it's been especially powerfull in Brawl, and now they seemed to have buffed it even more, further encouraging everyone to shield first, act later. Yet, the opposite was necessary, encouraging people to not be afraid to attack.

As for Bowser, yes. He was indeed quite godly in FFA. Also notice how he completely annihilated the competition in 1 vs 1's and was the only one that made it to the finals. Sheik and Toon Link stood no chance in the 1vs1's. Samus hasn't been shown a single succesfull moment in either 1vs1 or FFA yet, save for Bill's all-items matches where mostly the ridiculous amount of Final Smashes decided the winner. I specifically keep mentioning Samus because Sakurai called her the most powerfull character when everybody and their dog could tell she wasn't even close.

D

Deleted member

I always disapprove of the tournaments Nintendo is setting up. Not because of the notion itself (I'm more than happy about the engagement) but the way they're carried out.

4-player FFA with Items is really not the way to determine the skill of the singular player. It shouldn't happen in the first place.

That said, I'm glad that will only happen during Nintendo's own tournaments. I'm well aware that their tournaments are for advertisement purposes only, so in that case the inclusion of items makes sense.

So about the game? Well, got to see more of my favourite reworked character Bowser and all, so I can't complain. The game looks as promising as it always has been, but I sincerely hope that the online will be good. It looks promising so far, but I only feel I can attest my full feelings when I actually do get hands-on experience with the title.

Nevertheless, I'm really excited to play it, but the tournament didn't change anything for me in that regard. I just mildly enjoyed watching it.

As for the game not being Melee, I'm not bothered at all. In fact, I'm more than fine with the recovery issue that's at hand. It slows the pace down, granted, but I don't think it's a bad thing that it'll turn more towards the principles of Street Fighter rather than Melee.

SS-bros14

Smash Champion
3DS FC
4038-6159-5535
I loved it! It was almost more competitive than the invitational! But when people kept playing as Bowser, it wasn't as fun, but I still LOVED most of the battles. Some people are saying like 'We didn't get a surprise!' But, eh. It'll probably come today. Anyone who thinks the 3DS version won't be competitive needs to look at this tournament.

The-Power-Within

Smash Ace
NNID
MasterSword06
3DS FC
0447-7094-2346
I like the 3DS Version even more than I already did now. Wii U version still looks okay, and I'm going with both most likely, but the 3DS Version is the one I'll be playing mostly, guaranteed. ;)

Scourge The Hedgehog

Evil Sonikku
NNID
JayJayPlushie
3DS FC
2535-4437-8099
I'll just say that I was extremely hyped once they got to the brackets. Say YES to competitive smash for the 3DS.

Hank Hill

Smash Apprentice
I always wondered why everybody was so pessimistic towards the 3DS Smash at first. I always thought it was gonna be a good game competitively, but after watching the Tournament, I daresay the 3DS Smash has a lot of potential.

Babali Boon

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Babali
3DS FC
0447-5439-8345
To be honest, Bowser being overpowered concerns me. I am all for him being a very strong top tier character, but I don't want another 20XX where it's only Bowser's on Battlefield duking it out. I want a properly balanced game, where each character can rival the other with proper dedication and training.

I do think that it's still early to judge, however. Bowser seems to be a very simple character, and the others may take some more hands on time before they are better able to compete with his strength. I can see someone like M2K trying to become the best Bowser in the world or something, though, which could be really scary.

Reila

the true enemy of humanity is anime
The tournament left me so hyped for Smash 3DS that I am having trouble concentrating on Brawl today.

I don't want to play Brawl anymore, gimme new Smash already :'(

Soul.

I think the Wii U version will still be the go to game for local tournaments.

There was never any doubt that the 3DS version would be competitively viable (as well as the Wii U version) in my eyes. But both games play the exact same in terms of characters. Hence, people who only own the 3DS version can still play just fine on the Wii U, and enter Wii U tournaments. Tournaments will mostly still use Wii U because it's much easier and cheaper to stream, with a much better payoff (higher resolution and prettier graphics overall). Plus, the Wii U version has more competitively viable stages by the looks of it. Many of the 3DS versions stages make me scream "#BANNED" as soon as I look at them, while a lot of the Wii U ones actually seem pretty well suited for competitive play.

Still hoping Smash Run gets tournaments or something, though.
I think we're missing something. The 3DS player would have to learn what stage favors which character and possibly the entire Wii U metagame. We haven't seen all the stages of the 3DS version yet, and with Green Hill Zone confirmed, there's a chance Lylat Cruise and Smashville are in the 3DS version. Both will be viable.
Not everything will be on Wii U, you know. If the Wii U has competitively viable stages, then there's no doubt the 3DS version will have competitively viable stages as well, and if there's "banned stages" on 3DS, Wii U will have banned stages too.
Also, the 3DS version isn't going to be suited for casual players. I don't know how will that be possible. I guess playing with CPUs with Items on is casual, while everything on Wii U is competitive? No, I don't think so. Smash 3DS will be competitive.

Anyway, back to topic. As I said before, this has showed that the 3DS version will be perfectly fine as a viable competitive game. If Nintendo didn't do the tournament, everyone would most likely be hating on the 3DS version still, but it happened. Now everyone's hyped about it, and that's really, really great.

Last edited:

ChikoLad

Purple Boi
I think we're missing something. The 3DS player would have to learn what stage favors which character and possibly the entire Wii U metagame. We haven't seen all the stages of the 3DS version yet, and with Green Hill Zone confirmed, there's a chance Lylat Cruise and Smashville are in the 3DS version. Both will be viable.
Not everything will be on Wii U, you know. If the Wii U has competitively viable stages, then there's no doubt the 3DS version will have competitively viable stages as well, and if there's "banned stages" on 3DS, Wii U will have banned stages too.
Also, the 3DS version isn't going to be suited for casual players. I don't know how will that be possible. I guess playing with CPUs with Items on is casual, while everything on Wii U is competitive? No, I don't think so. Smash 3DS will be competitive.

Anyway, back to topic. As I said before, this has showed that the 3DS version will be perfectly fine as a viable competitive game. If Nintendo didn't do the tournament, everyone would most likely be hating on the 3DS version still, but it happened. Now everyone's hyped about it, and that's really, really great.
You entirely missed my point.

Streaming for the 3DS version is much more expensive, and isn't going to look as pretty anyway. Most tournament organisers will focus on the Wii U version because of that (cheaper to do, better resolution, better looking game overall, and the boon of having GameCube controllers which are all on hand from past Smash games). Plus, it means one of the players would be forced to use a 3DS with a bulky attachment on it provided by the TOs (which might not support the Circle Pad Pro if that's useable as a C-Stick, or it might not support any grips players have bought), and not their own. You need an attachment for recording on the 3DS, while you don't on Wii U, where you just need a capture card.

I threw in the stage comment as an extra (still true though), but the main point is that the Wii U version is more presentable and cheaper and easier to set up.

And the Wii U metagame isn't going to be any different (exact same characters), and learning stages on Wii U isn't a huge deal (they could always be given practice beforehand, like the Invitational players got).

It's got nothing to do with the 3DS version not playing well as a game, the Wii U version is just cheaper to set

Last edited:

Knife Myths

Smash Journeyman
To be honest, Bowser being overpowered concerns me. I am all for him being a very strong top tier character, but I don't want another 20XX where it's only Bowser's on Battlefield duking it out. I want a properly balanced game, where each character can rival the other with proper dedication and training.

I do think that it's still early to judge, however. Bowser seems to be a very simple character, and the others may take some more hands on time before they are better able to compete with his strength. I can see someone like M2K trying to become the best Bowser in the world or something, though, which could be really scary.
I'm struck by the notion that if it was Fox dominating everyone would be proudly declaring that the game was "fixed" now just like Project M.

I see your point, though and only quoted you because I like your avatar.

Soul.

You entirely missed my point.

Streaming for the 3DS version is much more expensive, and isn't going to look as pretty anyway. Most tournament organisers will focus on the Wii U version because of that (cheaper to do, better resolution, better looking game overall, and the boon of having GameCube controllers which are all on hand from past Smash games). Plus, it means one of the players would be forced to use a 3DS with a bulky attachment on it provided by the TOs (which might not support the Circle Pad Pro if that's useable as a C-Stick, or it might not support any grips players have bought), and not their own. You need an attachment for recording on the 3DS, while you don't on Wii U, where you just need a capture card.

I threw in the stage comment as an extra (still true though), but the main point is that the Wii U version is more presentable and cheaper and easier to set up.

And the Wii U metagame isn't going to be any different (exact same characters), and learning stages on Wii U isn't a huge deal (they could always be given practice beforehand, like the Invitational players got).

It's got nothing to do with the 3DS version not playing well as a game, the Wii U version is just cheaper to set
Oh, now I get it. You were saying the 3DS was harder to stream, my mistake.

RPGatWill

Smash Ace
3DS FC
1118-0962-1816
Yes unless streaming for 3DS becomes much cheaper, it's tournament viability in the online marketplace seems relatively small, especially since the wii U version will be right on its heels and easier to stream. Streaming has become a pretty big part of events and tournaments, so who can say how much 3DS will be effected by it. Maybe some new 3DS streaming tool will come out that will be relatively cheap and awesome?

Aninymouse

3DS Surfer
3DS FC
3540-0120-0225
It was awesome seeing Bowser, and seeing that the 3DS version is capable of so much

WHERE WAS THE EDGE GUARDING?

I failed to see the reason to actually go off stage and hit someone further. 2 off stage bowser f-airs.... And they still come back. Just stay on the stage and wait paitently for them to arrive on stage again. -_________-

I swear this ledge mechanic and ledge magnet must die
Part of the problem with the example you're citing is that Bowser's Fair doesn't look very strong compared to his massive Bair.

Ehn Jolly

Smash Journeyman
I have a hope that Bowser won't be so baller against the non demo characters, but I don't want to see him get nerfed too much. He's waited so long to be good, just let the king rule for a little bit.

Shaymin slicker

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Shadowshaymin
3DS FC
1547-5202-1903
I still say it could be a competitive game. It looks like it could still be a competitive game.

I have a good feeling about this. I'll even say that in my opinion it looks easy to get into.

D

Deleted member

I still say it could be a competitive game. It looks like it could still be a competitive game.

I have a good feeling about this. I'll even say that in my opinion it looks easy to get into.
My thoughts exactly. I agree x9000. It has the potential to be just as competitive as the Wii U game.

Zzuxon

Smash Champion
NNID
zzuxon
3DS FC
3695-0453-0481
I hope Bowser is high tier in the final game. It'd be so great, Bowser deserves it.

Ragna22

Smash Ace
That tournament hyped me up more for the game mostly because Bowser was the returning character I wanted to play the most in Smash 4 because of his changes, I've always been a Bowser fan and this move set he has here in Smash 4 in my opinion is MILES better than Melee and Brawl and part of it is because you can tell they're going for a more Mario & Luigi feel with Bowser, he's even got the same walking animation seen in those games and I'm totally fine with that, Bowser MUST be a threatening brute force and Smash 4 pulls that off with his new moves and animations in my opinion.

Now that I'm done gushing over Bowser, Smash 4 in general just looks awesome to play, even outside of the tourney footage where we saw a couple of 1v1s on the Wii-U version, Rosalina was so damn hype during one of the first few matches of that, Rosalina to Luma combos all day, trapping the opponent between the two, I'm definitely going to learn to play her, I was going to try her anyway,but watching that one match made it one of my priorities for Smash 4.

Top Bottom