• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Bowsers at SDCC

Spinosaurus

Treasure Hunter
NNID
WarioLand
Good to know VGCW Bowser is confirmed to be a Smash character

S_B

Too Drunk to Smash
Switch FC
SW 5369-1969-6280
I'm now worried they're going to nerf Bowser before shipping the game... :p

Hopefully, Namco is smart enough to understand that the meta hasn't developed yet...

Last edited:

Sqa$

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Bazaar
The year is 20XX, and the whole world plays Bowser at TAS levels frame perfect and the only thing that matters is port priority....and I'm okay with it.

DustyPumpkin

Smash Lord
NNID
DustyPumpkin
3DS FC
4038-5990-1614
Switch FC
0550-6678-6601
Bowser on Bowser action
Great stuff

Johnknight1

Upward and Forward, Positive and Persistent
NNID
Johnknight1
3DS FC
3540-0575-1486

Raikou, aka Rei is the guy who came in 2nd (and a homie of mine), and gave us this AMAZING MOMENT...

So glad I got to see him and my boy Larry Lurr got 2nd and 1st. True homies and smash competitive players got 2nd and 1st. Good! :)

Last edited:

DirtyPete

Smash Cadet
Bowser is looking to be the king and villain of smash four. Wonder who will be the hero?

Bloop

Smash Journeyman
bowser needs to be Nerft or it will be meta night all over again in other words this will be tourneys from now on:4bowser::4bowser::4bowser::4sheik::4bowser::4kirby::4bowser::4bowser::4bowser::4bowser::4bowser::4sheik::4sheik::4bowser::4bowser:
I thought this was sarcasm, but then I wasn't sure, it's hard to tell over the internet.
Regardless, it's silly, it was a demo build, was missing around half of the already revealed characters, and the two Bowsers in the final were also very clearly two of the best, if not the best, players to get out of the free 4 All madness.
Bowser may or may not be too strong, honestly after that I'm thinking he's viable and that's the end of it, which is a fine place to be, but using that single tournament with those variables to call him overpowered, or judge his validity in anyway other than a loose opinion is just silly.

Of course, it's what about 90% of the internet will do, though.

Last edited:

Mario & Sonic Guy

Old rivalries live on!
NNID
TPitch5
3DS FC
5327-1637-5096
Congrats to the Bowser users today. Enjoy the fame while you can, because it might not stay that way once the game is officially available to the public.

ChillerDuu

Smash Cadet
Wow, I knew Bowser got an upgrade but dang. Didn't know I'd be maining such a beast.

Spinosaurus

Treasure Hunter
NNID
WarioLand
Congrats to the Bowser users today. Enjoy the fame while you can, because it might not stay that way once the game is officially available to the public.
I'm sure everyone would know that being top tier (lol) in an unfinished build means nothing

S_B

Too Drunk to Smash
Switch FC
SW 5369-1969-6280
I'm sure everyone would know that being top tier (lol) in an unfinished build means nothing
This.

Logically speaking, before the metagame is established, a character like Bowser would absolutely HAVE to appear to be exceptionally strong if he were to turn out to be balanced once we've all had some time with the game.

If Bowser were to appear weak or just balanced now, it would mean that he'd be dramatically underpowered in metagame (which would be par for the course for him).

I should also point out that I only ever saw Bowser come up against one projectile spammer (Shiek) in the whole tourney.

Considering that those characters can and will force Bowser to approach, he HAS to be stronger in other circumstances to compensate or he'll be garbage overall.

I'm glad someone FINALLY gets this. Shame it took Namco ripping development out of Sakurai's hands for us to finally get a decent Bowser, though.

Last edited:

DirtyPete

Smash Cadet
I think one of the matches ended up with a result that a bowser 4 stocked a sheik, no?

Pokemon-master

Smash Apprentice
NNID
fadi
3DS FC
0791-2291-3156
I thought this was sarcasm, but then I wasn't sure, it's hard to tell over the internet.
Regardless, it's silly, it was a demo build, was missing around half of the already revealed characters, and the two Bowsers in the final were also very clearly two of the best, if not the best, players to get out of the free 4 All madness.
Bowser may or may not be too strong, honestly after that I'm thinking he's viable and that's the end of it, which is a fine place to be, but using that single tournament with those variables to call him overpowered, or judge his validity in anyway other than a loose opinion is just silly.

Of course, it's what about 90% of the internet will do, though.
... oh i was just messing around lol yea we have only like half the charicters

The One Who Wrote This

Great Robo Cup Champion
NNID
Cyberking1994
3DS FC
1719-3182-9276
I think one of the matches ended up with a result that a bowser 4 stocked a sheik, no?
I think there were TWO matches that resulted in 4-0 for Bowser against a Sheik.

But yeah, I was so happy when Rai 4-0'd that Sheik camper (no offense to him, but I thought that was kinda cheap that he ran away over and over again). Plus, the Grand Finals were pretty exciting! I don't think I saw a GF Ditto match ever (from my personal experience).

I think I'm going to learn how to play as the Koopa King after seeing this performance! He looks like a very fun character to play as.

And hopefully Kenny James will be the voice actor for Bowser this time around.

DirtyPete

Smash Cadet
I still plan on maining link, hopefully i can turn link into the bowser slayer > : D
honestly tho, i definitely want to try out the new bowser now too.

The One Who Wrote This

Great Robo Cup Champion
NNID
Cyberking1994
3DS FC
1719-3182-9276
I still plan on maining link, hopefully i can turn link into the bowser slayer > : D
honestly tho, i definitely want to try out the new bowser now too.
I personally main Marth, Ike, and Ganondorf in Brawl (Melee is Ganondorf, then Falcon and Marth), but it looks like I'll have to rethink my mains.

Ganondorf is a sure main for me. Regarding Marth, I need to try out both him and Lucina and see who I prefer (or I could main both). Hopefully Captain Falcon is good this time around. I will also need to test out Ike.

But Bowser will DEFINITELY join my ranks of Smash 4 mains/secondaries.

S_B

Too Drunk to Smash
Switch FC
SW 5369-1969-6280
Double Posting Warning Received
Shiek's projectiles aren't amazing.

Plus, that sheik wasn't that great, TBH.

Also, did anyone else notice that they basically gave Snake's grenades to shiek?

but I thought that was kinda cheap that he ran away over and over again).
I don't fault him for it, and TBH, I'm guessing Namco has planned projectile campers as part of the metagame.

Since Bowser is now finally the offensive powerhouse Sakurai would never make him, it becomes a game of cat and mouse where Bowser tries to close for the big hits while his opponent tries to keep Bowser guessing: will they run or will they attack on the approach?

But now, unlike in Brawl, there are SEVERE penalties for losing that game to Bowser, just as there should be.

Bowser is more than damaging enough that an opponent cannot afford to make mistakes, nor can they rely upon Bowser being an endlessly juggled sack of crap that's easily hitstunned into ineptitude.

Fighting Bowser means NOT attacking head on, staying on your toes and trying to rack up damage while avoiding direct confrontation, EXACTLY like how Bowser should've ALWAYS been treated in SSB. :)

Last edited by a moderator:

Dust the Baptist

Weeaboos aren't people.
NNID
Mank210
3DS FC
2809-9541-0380
There are going to be soooo many Bowser mains after this. Although this is only the demo build and half the characters aren't even playable, it's so touching to see Bowser looking so legit <3
Living like Larry.

Hokori

Great King of Evil
Living like Larry.

With Bowser's new aerials, he'd be even more effective if landing lag was reduced overall (everyone would obviously, but I'm just speaking on Bowser). I'm especially a fan of his N-Air and B-Air. Really love the extended reach with his F-Air...that hitbox is nice. Although he has auto-cancelable aerials with F-Air, B-Air and N-Air, I noticed Bowsers mainly getting punished in the tournament when they weren't auto-canceled. Main two moves overall were the Dropkick (F-Smash) and the Bowser Bomb (Down-B) :awesome:

And the way Bowser moves on the ground now, dash dancing would be so fun with him <3 Unfortunately it's not really effective in the current build though.

IsmaR

Super Moderator
Super Moderator
BRoomer
Ooromine IV, the second planet from the sun FS-176
NNID
Super_Sand_Lezbo
3DS FC
3179-6068-0031
Switch FC
SW-7639-0141-7804
Understand the excitement (or at least I should), but please refrain from posting image/vid/meme-centric posts, and double posting.

Aahhhh I can't wait to run into Bowser ditto's all day every day.~

Togii

Smash Apprentice
3DS FC
4682-8974-7880
Looks like there's finally a dragon that all the Fire Emblem fans can be proud about slaying. See you on the battlefield, Koopa Kings.

Aunt Jemima

It's ya girl
I've never really used or cared for Bowser in any Smash game, and still won't be playing him in this one, but it's so great seeing him kick some ass. I really hope they don't nerf him in the official release because watching tournaments with Bowser actually playable is gonna be great.

ZanZero

Smash Apprentice
I've mained Bowser since Melee, and already expected to be maining him this time around as well.
But I didn't think Soccer-eye and the team would give him this much of a major boost.
It's honestly refreshing to see bowser in the spotlight for once...
But at the same time I hold a disdain for Metaknight because of his overuse in the Brawl scene, and would rather that doesn't happen to my #1 character.

But maybe I'm jumping the gun, I dunno.

S_B

Too Drunk to Smash
Switch FC
SW 5369-1969-6280
I've mained Bowser since Melee, and already expected to be maining him this time around as well.
But I didn't think Soccer-eye and the team would give him this much of a major boost.
It's honestly refreshing to see bowser in the spotlight for once...
But at the same time I hold a disdain for Metaknight because of his overuse in the Brawl scene, and would rather that doesn't happen to my #1 character.

But maybe I'm jumping the gun, I dunno.
No one with any sense is actually worried about Bowser being OP.

Refer to the video above with two Ikes in the finals. Now where did Ike wind up on the tier list? Exactly.

In previous SSB games, the trick to fighting Bowser was to get in his face and pepper him with small attacks so he couldn't retaliate.

Since there's an actual fighting game development team working on SSB this time (as opposed to some dude who never ages and would rather ignore core game mechanics in lieu of god-awful single player modes and adding characters no one ever asked for to the roster), that same trick clearly doesn't work, and few to none of the players in the tournament knew how to deal with that fact.

It's finally necessary to respect Bowser's priority, damage and killing power. It's going to take a whole new strategy to fight Bowser now, and yes, players will no doubt figure out that strategy in short order once the game is out.

Admiral Pit

Smash Hero
NNID
GoldAngelPit
3DS FC
0903-2895-3694
I'm hoping someone uploads the Grand finals matches and the ones of a Bowser 4-stocking a Sheik and TL. I'm looking forward to watching it from time to time whenever it happens.

Last edited:

DirtyPete

Smash Cadet
I think there is definitely a bit of exaggeration going on with bowser, but he is definitely very viable this time around, and i think he'll end up being like space animals in previous games, where everyone picks up bowser for tournaments because hes an (apparently) easy character to use

Top Bottom