• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Bowser Patch 1.14 changes

LinkoHakurei

Smash Cadet
NNID
LinkoHakurei
3DS FC
3136-6656-2820
After playing Bowser for a while i have found that his up throw to kill confirm is no longer a confirm as said in the patch notes but there are more creative ways to kill with it now. For example; it works kinda like sheik's down throw since when you up throw at kill percents its a not necessarily a 50-50 but you can read their air dodge out of fear and punish them by either going for the up air or jumping at lower percents to bait an air dodge then fast fall and up smash for early kills!

v like i took the first stock on this video v

Last edited:

S_B

Too Drunk to Smash
Switch FC
SW 5369-1969-6280
After playing Bowser for a while i have found that his up throw to kill confirm is no longer a confirm as said in the patch notes but there are more creative ways to kill with it now. For example; it works kinda like sheik's down throw since when you up throw at kill percents its a not necessarily a 50-50 but you can read their air dodge out of fear and punish them by either going for the up air or jumping at lower percents to bait an air dodge then fast fall and up smash for early kills!

v like i took the first stock on this video v

You make an interesting point in that video: when they're just past KO confirm range, FH, but don't burn your double jump until they're descending and air dodging and you can catch them that way.

Also, I need to get more in the habit of SH faking a chase, then fast falling and Fsmashing when I hit the ground, since you'll likely bait out an airdodge at the right height.

pitfall356

Smash Apprentice
jab to klaw is more consistent on some characters than other, though it connects quite easily on less slide-y characters as long as you jab at point blank. Characters like Luigi that just zoom away after the jab will slide out of klaw range.

Zapp Branniglenn

Smash Lord
Not every target has the same "ow! I've just been jabbed" animation, so they can scoot out of Klaw's range for just a few frames from just that. There's also their random DI you can't account for. That's why I still condone using the dash cancel method. Or stutter step, I don't know what it's called. It's the thing Marth does to optimize their tipper range by hitting Fsmash just a few frames after a dash forward or backward. We don't get much distance from it, but it may be enough to ensure you reach them consistently. Before the patch, Side B was only guaranteed if you were willing to let Bowser's dash animation play out for longer than just a few frames. Side Specials in Smash 4 can be executed at any point of a dash or run, but since Bowser had to dash for as long as five or so frames in order to get that 100% guarantee of a connect, this option was notably as slow as dash grab, which had no precise timing to cover that range.

In this patch, Flying Slam's grab range reaches just a few pixels short of Jab 1's maximum range. I feel like you only put yourself at risk of a whiff if you make no effort at all to move forward. But you can still get away with that lack of effort regarding instances where you jab at closer range than maximum.

GerudoKong

Smash Apprentice
Was it already confirmed pivot grab was unchanged? Probably placebo but it feels shorter to me

MagiusNecros

Smash Master
Pivot grab is still the same. It's just you guys.

Edit: Just remember characters like DK have a bigger grab confirm so we can grab him from a farther distance then say Kirby.

Last edited:
Top Bottom