• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Bowser matchup thread

Admiral Pit

Smash Hero
NNID
GoldAngelPit
3DS FC
0903-2895-3694
I apologize for the lack of stuff lately, but working hard and not only have I found only a few character representatives, but some are taking time providing me info, most likely because of school or something else keeping them busy.
But anyways, onto a matchup where I actually use both characters. Boozer time!

Matchup: Bowser (Currently at 55:45 Pit's Advantage)
Intro: The King of Koopas is the heaviest character in the game. Where comes his great armor and moderate power comes the price of which he is somewhat slow, but moderately fast for a heavyweight, believe it or not. Pit may have a very slight advantage, but if the Pit doesn't know how to deal with Bowser, he may have more problems than he's asking for. Pit does have a bit of an edge in some areas.

Bowser does have a few moves that can outrange Pit, like F-tilt and F-air. These easily outprioritize Angel Ring, along with an airborne Bowser Side-B that can do the same thing. Bowser generally has slightly more range than Pit, allowing Pit to have not too much difficulties approaching compared to what some other characters, especially Marth, can do to Pit.
One should note that Bowser's F-air can be shorthopped without the landing lag if Bowser F-airs automatically upon jumping, so Bowser may be a bit quicker than some think.

As said before, Bowser is really big and heavy, and add that with Pit's lower than average KO ability, so Bowser could live quite a while. Thankfully Bowser's big, so he's an easy to hit due to his size, especially with arrows.
Now, we can do an F-throw chain on Bowser around 40%, but do keep in mind that Bowser could escape using Up-B if the Pit doesn't CG quickly enough. This usually can occur after your 2nd F-throw. If you can predict a Bowser that may do this, you may cancel the Chaingrab, let the Bowser do Up-B, and attack again.

Edgeguarding and Gimping, for Bowser to Pit, Bowser's F-air has great range, and can be good when he's persuing a Pit, supposingly if the Pit isn't shooting arrows while recovering. B-air from Bowser should be stronger in terms of KOing not just because the average Bowser uses F-air quite a bit, and could be stale.
If Pit is forced to using Up-B, he needs to watch out. One single touch of a Fire breath could gimp Pit like that. A Bowser could go to the ledge and aim the flames downward, and that can stop a bottom approach from the stage. You can either try recovering high, or fly to the other side of the stage if the stage you're on grants you that capability.

For Pit to Bowser, Bowser will have some difficulty getting back up with his limited recovery. He has a midair jump and his Up-B, very poor on recovering vertically. Pit can shoot arrows at him to give him a bit more damage and knock him back a bit. You can Mirror Shield his Up-B. Try getting close and horizontal with Bowser and his Up-B.
The Mirror Shield Gimp should be able to help Pit KO Bowser quickly, which will make up for Pit's poor KO power against Bowser's weight. If you think you can't land the Mirror Shield gimp, you can use aerials instead, not just to try to gimp em, but to do more damage, in case Bowser does make it back. Just remember Bowser isn't completely helpless when recovering, but he is vulnerable if he Up-Bs at a high elevation due to the Up-B landing lag.
If you do approach him quickly, be cautious of a possible F-air, Side-B (Can be a Bowsercide depending on how much stock and % you and Bowser have),or airdodge.

One of the moves you really need to watch out for is Bowser's Up-B. It's one of his fastest moves, and one of the best OOS (out of shield) moves in the game. It has invincibility frames too, and does decent at KOing.

Normally, SH N-airs may work on some large heavy chars, but it's not as easy with Bowser having range, his firebreath and of course, Up-B OOS. It's really the Up-B OOS that Bowser could use, even more so than a shieldgrab.
Speaking of grabs, all of Bowser's grab are average at damage, 12% from D-throw, 10% from F-throw, 10% from B-throw, and 10% from U-throw.
Also, Bowser has a nice Grab Release game, The way it works is because Bowser's frames from an opponent escaping his grab are less than the frames of how long it takes a character to move when they broken free from a grab. (Bowser's 20 frames to the opponent's 30 frames, I think), giving Bowser a small amount of time to react and perform his next move.
The link to the list is located here.

http://www.smashboards.com/showthread.php?t=193617

As you can see, compared to many of the other characters, Pit is very resistant to his Grab release game (Poor Wario), but still that doesn't mean that you can get careless. The Air release to F-air can be a killing tactic when your damage is high if you struggle. Technically, without struggle, Pit will be ground released, unlike MK and other smaller chars.

As for the ledge, there are occasional times where a Bowser will go near the ledge and throw in a Bowser Bomb. The Bowser Bomb can allow Bowser to grab the ledge if he isnt too far from it, and do damage to you if you get close. However, if you edgehog a Bowser quickly, that's an instant stock loss for Bowser.

As far as Stages go, this old Stage CP/banning for Pit is here.
http://www.smashboards.com/showthread.php?t=206886

Note that the list is old and may not be up to date as of now.

Counterpicks Known:
-FD: Great for Pit, mainly due to Pit having plenty of room to camp, while at the same time, Pit has many of his recovering options, which do include gliding under the stage and to the other side. This is generally Pit's "Big" playground.

-Lylat: The tilting stage messes up Bowser's recovery more than it does Pit, and Pit can still recover by gliding under the stage. The tilting stage can also interfere with the grab release game.

Bans Known:
-Battlefield: This is Bowser's best neutral stage, and is a small one too, which means there is less room for Pit to run around. Regardless of which u can glide and fly under the stage, Bowser can simply approach you quicker since the stage is small, generally not much room to camp on.

-Norfair: Even though Norfair may not be even available from the start, but if you are ever taken here, know that Bowser simply can live much longer here with the supporting platforms, and lava can help him live even further. Our chaingrab against him is limited with the small platforms. Not much more is known.

-Yoshi's Island (Brawl)
As you know, Pit is bad on this place and is his worse neutral. He can't glide under the stage, and Shy Guys can block arrows.
When playing a Bowser here, like BF, not much room for Pit to go around and camping. With the Shy guys around, the camping effectiveness is lowered even more. Also, since Pit can't fly under the stage, if Pit's forced to use Up-B, he really loses the "under the stage" option and has a higher chance of getting gimped by Bowser's fire breath.

More Stage research may be needed.
The matchup ratio has been ranged from 60-40 Pit to 55-45 Pit, mostly leaning towards 55-45 Pit.

This has been viewed and verified by Vex Kasrani, the Amazing Bowser from Pennsylvania.

Admiral Pit

Smash Hero
NNID
GoldAngelPit
3DS FC
0903-2895-3694
Actually Peach's is better. Hers is the only one in the game that wont get caught in Wario's Bite attack. Bowser's is kinda fast though, unless he has 100 or more damage.

Admiral Pit

Smash Hero
NNID
GoldAngelPit
3DS FC
0903-2895-3694
*Bump*

And the Bowser Boards will now be notified about this. Hopefully they have something that I may have forgotten or any mistake I made.

shinyspoon42

Smash Journeyman
You are really overrating Bowser's fair, almost all of the time bowser will try to keep his fat *** on the ground, due to the glaring weakness beneath him, his bad recovery, and on the ground he has so many more options and is safer. A good Bowser will have power shield walking to a fine art because of its necessity to him as a character, and combined with his massive shield he will most of the time be difficult to camp. He is pretty fast, grounded up-b OOS is gonna pop out if you ever even think about attacking bowser in his shield, or running in for a grab, or really coming near him. His jab is fast, his dtilt and ftilt will be used to space/punish and his klaw will be used to approach on a SH. His flame is used to space, reflecting it is pretty pointless since it will just cancel with the hits still coming out, and then he just angles it up and headshots you with fire. As you have said, killing him is a pain so just try to hit him out low with a bair and then chase and mirror shield his fortress. Most of the time, Bowser won't come out to gimp you, he will be waiting on the ledge. This is a tough match because he is so much harder to kill and will kill you so much earlier, and for every mistake he punishes he deals back alot of what you have done through careful camping. You have to be careful because it you whiff an attack, Bowser will lol f-smash you and kill you at -10%.

Pit will want to play very campy and defensive because you have a projectile and he doesn't, and if bowser throws up a shield then just walk away. Attacking Bowser's shield is foolish and unnecessary, just run and fire more arrows. Throw out bair if he tries to attack, more often then not bair will hit. Don't go for dtilt spikes and don't wingdash, if you screw up it could mean a stock. Don't approach Bowser, he has an amazing defensive game so make him come to you. He can't force you to approach, and he can't force you to attack his shield, so just pepper with arrows, Fsmash, bair, and if he ever gets in the air juggle him with ease. If bowser is approaching you in the air, you should either get in close or get away, standing still will make you eat a klaw or firebreath. walking away from him kinda ruins his approach options, then just turn around and Fsmash.

For stages, pick stages w/out platforms or obstructive elements, and big stages (your ideal stage begins with a final and ends with a destination)
Ban Battlefield or other small stages with platforms.

I'd say this MU is 55:45 Pits favor

Coffee™

I need it....
Bowser:

Don't use Glide Attack.

SH retreating Fair and FH dair are your main approaches

Nair is not good unless his shield is already diminished

Big target for bair, so kill with that. Use fsmash to dmg

Shoot arrows

Fair offstage

MS recovery

Bowser has no good cps vs Pit imo so just take him somewhere stupid like RC or Delfino for a cp if you lose.

Bowser summary basically done.
Needed to be repeated. :)

Alfa

Smash Apprentice
Good job Pit boards, I think almost all of this data is correct, although I don't think Norfair would be a very good Bowser stage, due to it being harder to make use of moves like Ftilt and Jab, while making him rely more on his aerial game, which apart from Fair, isn't very good. Nair has short range, Bair has huge landing lag, Dair is laggy and weak, and Uair has massive start up lag, meaning if you get behind, above, or below Bowser in the air, his options are limited. When compared to Pit's aerial game, this stage would probably work against Bowser.

I think Bowser's Ftilt can clink with Pit's arrows, so camping with Pit can be a bit harder than normal, so FD doesn't really seem like a very useful counterpick, but just leans slightly in Pit's favor. Same goes for Smashville, since they're so similar. Maybe Pictochat would be better off, Bowser hits the hazards fairly easily, which can assist Pit in damaging/killing Bowser easier, half the time the stage is basically FD anyway, and the transformations don't really hinder Pit much, unless some monolithic structure should suddenly matierialise out of thin air, in which case it becomes a bit harder to spam, but the transformations only stick around for 13 seconds anyway. If you need to recover with Pit on this stage, recovering high should do it, as if Bowser jumps to chase you, just avoid the Fair/Bair or counter it with one of your moves, and his Uair is laggy enough to air dodge. If Bowser stays on the ground, just run away, Bowser is fairly slow on the ground anyway (movement wise), so it shouldn't be too hard.

Overall, 55-45 Pit's way seems right to me. Good job A.P. on the matchup summary.

Edit:
@R@vyn: How is SH retreating Fair an approach?
RC may not be your best choice against Bowser, the first bit (the boat) is a small stage with platforms, very good for Bowser. The second section (the climb) is basically just a chance to take advantage of Bowser's below average aerial game, the same can be achieved on Norfair. The third area (the pendulum) is bad for Bowser just due to the lack of ledges, and the tilting messes with grab releases, however the area you fight in is somewhat small, which can work for Bowser. The fourth part (the... path?) although it is big, it also has a lot of platforms, meaning it is pretty balanced. However the fact that this stage is a walkoff would lean slightly in Bowser's favor, although Pit can chaingrab Bowser a bit to push him of the stage, Bowser's grab releases work at any percent, meaning he can push Pit along the stage (or hold him while it catches up) and then Ftilt him out of a release to kill him fairly easily.

Overall, RC leans only slightly towards Pit, due to him gaining a large advantage towards Pit on two districts of this stage (the climb and the pendulum), whilst Bowser only gains a large advantage on one piece of the stage (the boat), and a small advantage on the last portion.

Admiral Pit

Smash Hero
NNID
GoldAngelPit
3DS FC
0903-2895-3694
Good job Pit boards, I think almost all of this data is correct, although I don't think Norfair would be a very good Bowser stage, due to it being harder to make use of moves like Ftilt and Jab, while making him rely more on his aerial game, which apart from Fair, isn't very good. Nair has short range, Bair has huge landing lag, Dair is laggy and weak, and Uair has massive start up lag, meaning if you get behind, above, or below Bowser in the air, his options are limited. When compared to Pit's aerial game, this stage would probably work against Bowser.

I think Bowser's Ftilt can clink with Pit's arrows, so camping with Pit can be a bit harder than normal, so FD doesn't really seem like a very useful counterpick, but just leans slightly in Pit's favor. Same goes for Smashville, since they're so similar. Maybe Pictochat would be better off, Bowser hits the hazards fairly easily, which can assist Pit in damaging/killing Bowser easier, half the time the stage is basically FD anyway, and the transformations don't really hinder Pit much, unless some monolithic structure should suddenly matierialise out of thin air, in which case it becomes a bit harder to spam, but the transformations only stick around for 13 seconds anyway. If you need to recover with Pit on this stage, recovering high should do it, as if Bowser jumps to chase you, just avoid the Fair/Bair or counter it with one of your moves, and his Uair is laggy enough to air dodge. If Bowser stays on the ground, just run away, Bowser is fairly slow on the ground anyway (movement wise), so it shouldn't be too hard.

Overall, 55-45 Pit's way seems right to me. Good job A.P. on the matchup summary.
Thanks a lot, and I did forget Norfair actually, though I thought it would be banned. I would like to say that I have written that whole thing in my document concerning this matchup. Also, I have been on both sides on this matchup since both Pit and Bowser are my mains.
Also, don't just thank me, thank Vex for taking a look at the details before I sent it here.

As for u, Ravyn, u have done bad on that post of urs, for u have not completely told what Bowser can do to Pit, not to mention that TWO of Bowser's CPs against Pit are NEUTRALS!

The Brown Scourge

Smash Journeyman
Norfair is not exactly the best stage to take bowzer. Bowzer loves platforms and the level is full of em. Pit is simply annoying. I hate the priority on his attacks. Not much to say, its in pits favor. Bowzer can outrange pit. Bowzer is heavier so he will last longer. Pit can combo the crap out of bowser. Thats about it. Not much to say

Flayl

Smash Hero
Power shielding/FTilt'ing Pit's arrows doesn't work, unless the Pit somehow forgets he can just charge them a bit.

Bowser should definitely never go to FD with Pit, lol.

Pit should freely use FSmash to rack up damage on Bowser, it should be only used to kill as revenge (you just died so your attack queue is empty). Get Bowser to a higher % than you, which is easy for Pit and punish his approach with a sweetspotted BAir for the kill. If you can't land that on Bowser consider maining another character, lol. Your other main form of getting KO's will be mirror shield gimps. At 150% dash attack becomes an option.

Relying on air dodge to escape Bowser UAirs is a bad idea as it sets up for BAir/FAir. I mean of course, if it comes down to it, airdodge the thing, but you should rely on keeping your distance which isn't exactly hard with a multi jump character.

Even though Pit is pretty bad at killing, there's no way that with tools like NAir (against an aerial Bowser), arrows and mirror shield that this matchup is simply 55-45. It's 60-40 Pit's advantage. I normally wouldn't give a **** about ratios but 55-45 means that matchup is neutral... which it clearly isn't.

KingKong_ad

Smash Ace
I really play often with ADN and I dont think this match up is hard. Your arrow really doesnt matter a lot since a good bowser can walk and powershield really often. Like you said bowser kill you fast and youll have a hard time killing bowser without a gimp. Aerial sideB grab each of your attack ( almost certain of that) Bowser, when approaching, will try to go near you but not really close just in range of his jab or ftilt since they outrange your attack. When you send bowser in the air, attack him the most you can since bowser has a weakness beneath him. Your favorite kill moves will be Fsmash, Dsmash and Bair. Bowser can kill you with a lot of moves sorry too lazy to put them all. The last stock will be give you more trouble in this match up. The match up is the same unless he can kill you at any percent with bowsercide. Each time you get Sideb grabbed DI in direction of the stage but when you have more % than bowser be afraid to be bowsercided.

Stage: Ban BF
Counter pick: FD is probably your best stage against bowser, I think japes is a good CP for you too.

RC: Bowser does really good on this stage. The first part of the stage has platform and its small.
The second part has platform, the ceiling is low and the left side of the stage is close too. This means
really easy kill by bowser. Try to not get Uair by bowser. The third part is not really good by bowser
except he can bowsercide you easily in this part of the stage. Fourth part has many platform, the
ceiling is low and and a walkoff ledge.but he cant bowsercide. This stage is really good gor bowser dont
CP this stage.

Norfair: Many platform and the ceiling is a bit lower then normal. Bowser can survive a bit longer since
lava can save him from gimp. Also bowser after using UpB Oos can go directly in the ledge.

I will say at worse is 55-45 for Pit but I really really think this match up is 50-50.

Top Bottom