• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Bowser Bomb spikes

FerretStyle

Smash Apprentice
So I was playing against a Marth last night, and I bowser bombed the edge while he was recovering. He used UpB and managed to hit me right as I grabbed the edge, and he got spiked HARD and instantly KOd. I think his damage was around 70% but I can't remember.

Has anyone else noticed this or done it? It seems like it'd be pretty useful if it could be done consistently.

FerretStyle

Smash Apprentice
Unfortunately, I didn't get it on tape. It definitely looked like a spike, though. He flew down super fast at a slight angle.

It was the upper-right side of Spear Pillar, so I don't think he would have bounced off the stage since those upper edges don't have a blocking lip like FD.

calprinicus

Smash Cadet
do you realize that this as a tech means you would be trying to purposely bowser bombing over the edge to what would be almost certain death. . . Even if you grab the edge you have little range below it for the spike and if your opponent grabs the edge your screwed.

ok say you just want to spike them without hitting the edge. the start up is long and they can easy move out of the way. plus it can be easy to predict so an air-dodge is just being asked to use.

I don't see this practical except for maybe . . . maybe snake's u-b. . . maybe.

however nice find and I hope there will be a practical use found out of this or at least an air-combo to spike.

FerretStyle

Smash Apprentice
I was testing this earlier (it's really hard to get a CPU to recover the way you want it to, btw) on Spear Pillar and I realized there is actually a small lip there that you can get stuck under. So, while I still don't think that's what happened, it's a possibility.

I never actually got a clean hit in.

Popertop

Smash Champion
could be useful as an occasional mindgame.
most people don't think of bowser bomb ledgegrab as any sort of threat,
so if they don't know about this, they could try and go through it and WHAM!

FakeKraid

Smash Apprentice
I have given up using the Bowser Bomb as a ledge grab anyway. Think about it. The only reason (besides quick edgehogging) that you wanted to use it in Melee was to minimize the chance of someone edge-guarding you on your way down. For that, it was good (at least, so far as anything Bowser had was good). But in Brawl, not only is the Bowser Bomb unreliable for grabbing ledges (in fact, I have noticed that everything Bowser has is unreliable for grabbing ledges), but the new air dodge provides you with a much more reliable way to protect yourself from attack on the way down. I'm just excited that the attack is so good as an attack now. It was useless in Melee. You have no idea how many kills I've gotten with it simply because people still think they can hit Bowser out of it from underneath like in Melee. It's funny to watch them try. I don't see how being a spike would make the attack any better, since it kills people at under 100% over the top anyway.

KevinM

TB12 TB12 TB12
BRoomer
To tell you the truth Kraid there really wasn't any reason to even use the Bowser Bomb to get to the edge in Melee, since they could just poke you pretty easily. The rest of what you said seems decent, though you really can't spam it for kills, you may get lucky with it but its not of his kill moves.

FakeKraid

Smash Apprentice
To tell you the truth Kraid there really wasn't any reason to even use the Bowser Bomb to get to the edge in Melee, since they could just poke you pretty easily. The rest of what you said seems decent, though you really can't spam it for kills, you may get lucky with it but its not of his kill moves.
Honestly, I'm not even going to argue with you there, because you're half right. You could just get poked out of it pretty easily in Melee, because you could get poked out of anything Bowser did in Melee either pretty easily or very easily. You were just slightly less likely to get poked out of that than you were to get poked out of landing from something else. Honestly, it would have been just as good for you to point out that there was no reason to use Bowser in Melee, and I agree that I only used him because I'm crazy. But as for spamming the Bowser Bomb for kills, I don't do it, and I never said I did. What I do with it is this: when I see that somebody below me has committed themselves to an attack, I whip it out and punish the living daylights out of it, since the move has crazy priority now. If they don't commit themselves to an attack, I either come down with a late air move or just dodge to the ground and resume Bowsers formidable standard offense. And it is even arguably a fast killing move on the ground, thanks to the initial hit they added in when Bowser is on his way up. Once again, you don't, as you say, want to spam it, but you don't want to spam most smash attacks, either--Bowser's or anybody else's (note that I said most). It is a high risk move, but if you catch your opponent off-guard or punish with it, it is also a high reward move.

KevinM

TB12 TB12 TB12
BRoomer
Bowser's F-tilt had crazy priority in melee, hmph I can't remember how many times i poked PC out of his fox sillies.

FakeKraid

Smash Apprentice
Bowser's F-tilt had crazy priority in melee, hmph I can't remember how many times i poked PC out of his fox sillies.
Okay, you're not going to let me get away with anything are you? Yes, Bowser's ftilt had good priority if you used it when your opponent did not have a chance to preempt it. And I did do that often. As a matter of fact, his up B on the ground had high priority too and you could win tink battles against almost any character with it. His utilt had excellent priority and range if your opponent was foolish enough to leave themselves open to it. His fire of course was a projectile and overrode any standard attack that didn't outrange it. And if you really wanted to be flashy, dropping in with a well timed Koopa Klaw left your opponent pretty much only with the option of getting away or hoping he got lucky with an attack. And in the air, his Bair would simply ignore most character's airs (except a few, like Marth's). And his Uair was a guaranteed hit if it completed before your opponent interrupted it. But other than that, it was pretty easy to stop Bowser. He was not a good character. And since I enjoy rhetorical flourishes, I don't always use a scientific degree of accuracy in my arguments. I promise I will start doing that whenever I respond to you, though.
And in case you think I'm just spouting things I got off forums, I can tell you that although I didn't get to play PC with Bowser, I did constantly play against a player who could do most of Fox's technical tricks, play a good Marth (by which I mean he could do most of his zero to death stuff), the best Peach I have ever actually seen (and I have seen tournament level Peaches, including PC's), and a Captain Falcon that was good, and the only character of his that I never beat was his Peach, because that is impossible.
You people and your hostility. :p

Buuman

Smash Ace
I'm 95% positive what happened was initially a stage spike..unless u can do it again..and record it. Because if you're having trouble doing this again..it means it was probably a stage spike. On that note..if he flew down at an angle..that suggests even more that it was a stage spike.

Top Bottom