• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Bottom tier?

NidoMay

Smash Apprentice
3DS FC
4897-6023-8031
I know people keep saying that he'll likely be mid but...
Well I've been checking out the replay channel a lot and compared to pretty much any character I've watched on said channel, the win/loss ratio is just pathetic.

Honestly I'm worried at how terribly my intended main is doing. It's seriously discouraging where he's the only character I have to sift through about 7 or so curbstomps (like, can barely get a hit in) just to see a close win. Or sometimes just all curbstomps. Like I said, this doesn't seem to be a thing with any other character I've watched.

EDIT: So far gone through about 12 videos today. Not. One. Win.

Last edited:

Spirst

Doesn't mean much considering he's not a character that's used often. I wouldn't put stock in how random Bowser Jrs do in For Glory as a means to assess the competence of the character. He has a relatively high learning curve and so I wouldn't expect everyone who plays to be able to reach that level of skill.

Kit Cal-N

Smash Ace
Those replays are the players losing, then. He has plenty of strengths, manageable weaknesses, and doesn't rely on gimmicks. It's hard to come up with a playstyle that's a hard counter for him, as well (unless an inescapable combo to high percentages comes up).

I love how all the kids are so worried about tiers and not concerned at all about developing cool tech with a character they like.
I'm always seeing posts akin to, "Is bjr going to be one of the best? If not I don't like him anymore."

Nidomay if you want to play me with any other characters I'll show you what B.jrs got.
Also what videos are you watching? Randoms? Do you only play online?

Last edited:

NidoMay

Smash Apprentice
3DS FC
4897-6023-8031
I love how all the kids are so worried about tiers and not concerned at all about developing cool tech with a character they like.
I'm always seeing posts akin to, "Is bjr going to be one of the best? If not I don't like him anymore."

Nidomay if you want to play me with any other characters I'll show you what B.jrs got.
Also what videos are you watching? Randoms? Do you only play online?
In my case it's more "will I even be able to play the characters I like without constantly getting trounced with minimal effort no matter what?" Mostly because I've actually been putting time into trying to learn various things about their usage and I'm worried that it'll all be for nothing. I really don't wanna have to main someone else.

And well it was mostly via the replay channel but even the results I see on youtube are quite discouraging.

dawgbowl

Smash Ace
3DS FC
3239-2803-2467
Well, you aren't watching my Bjr matches then, I'd say I'm at about a 70-80% win percentage on an average day.

We also benefit in for glory because of no platforms, mecha koopas can really control the ground. I may try and setup a camera or something and record my matches. Should be much easier for us to share videos once the Wii U version comes out. I don't plan on changing mains.

...and he likely can't be any more low tier than Lucas was, so I'm only upgrading from my main in brawl.

NidoMay

Smash Apprentice
3DS FC
4897-6023-8031
Well, you aren't watching my Bjr matches then, I'd say I'm at about a 70-80% win percentage on an average day.

We also benefit in for glory because of no platforms, mecha koopas can really control the ground. I may try and setup a camera or something and record my matches. Should be much easier for us to share videos once the Wii U version comes out. I don't plan on changing mains.

...and he likely can't be any more low tier than Lucas was, so I'm only upgrading from my main in brawl.
If you could do recordings that'd be swell! Could really, REALLY do with reassurance.
I just have utterly awful confidence so I'm not exactly hard to discourage when it comes to these things... sorry...

Zenopo

Smash Rookie
I also feel Bower Jr. is bottom tier, then again I am new to playing Smash online. He just feels "slow", like all his attacks either takes a while to perform or takes a while to recover from.

yahooda

Smash Ace
NNID
yahooda
3DS FC
0302-0469-6394
I also feel Bower Jr. is bottom tier, then again I am new to playing Smash online. He just feels "slow", like all his attacks either takes a while to perform or takes a while to recover from.
Some of his arials are kinda laggy, but I've seen some people be really strategic with his down-b

NidoMay

Smash Apprentice
3DS FC
4897-6023-8031
Okay, if I remember correctly, saved replays are the ones on the channel, right?
I just won two matches and saved em. Actually a bit pleased with myself for em. Is there any way I can share them on the forums?

Jabejazz

Smash Ace
NNID
jabejazz
3DS FC
2079-8507-3496
I'll agree that the character is way too gimmicky to hope for a top/high tier spot for the time being, but he has plenty enough tools to warrant being above low tier, let alone bottom.

Zenopo

Smash Rookie
@ yahooda yahooda
Aye, but the enemy can use the mechkoopa for themselves and the time it takes to get one out, a skilled player would easily close the gap and punish.

@ Jabejazz Jabejazz
He may have tools, but to my knowledge, cannot utilize them well like Link can.

Tino

Smash Hero
NNID
FaustinoRojo10
3DS FC
5284-1678-8857
Switch FC
SW-6232-2426-8037
He does feel really awkward to me when I played him in Classic and All-Star Mode. That's the last time I'll ever play as him and I really don't care if he ends up bottom tier.

Jabejazz

Smash Ace
NNID
jabejazz
3DS FC
2079-8507-3496
He may have tools, but to my knowledge, cannot utilize them well like Link can.
I don't understand why you'd use Link as your basis for comparison. Both characters aren't even remotely similar.
Even if your statement would be true, why would that automatically make Bowser Jr. bottom tier?

visually gimmicky ≠ playstyle gimmicky
Clown Cart is an enormous gimmick in itself, and is basically the core of any current Bowser Jr. player.

Last edited:

hiramsthoughts

Smash Apprentice
Oracle's Bowser Jr. won Tourney Locator's Shockwave last week.

Edit: Here you go. Bowser Jr. starts at 12:10.

Last edited:

Kit Cal-N

Smash Ace
I can't understand why Peach players pull turnips, or Diddy players use bananas, or Link players use bombs... They can all be caught and thrown back. They're all bottom tier.

Seriously, though, he has large disjointed hitboxes, a fantastic recovery, and great field control. I'm not saying he's perfect, but he has more strengths than weaknesses.

He might feel awkward if you don't like playing him. I think Greninja feels awkward, but I don't think he's bad.

Last edited:

Jabejazz

Smash Ace
NNID
jabejazz
3DS FC
2079-8507-3496
Comparing clown cart to the usefulness of an item is absolutely ludicrous.

Besides, I clearly said I do not think Bowser Jr. doesn't belong in bottom tier. He is at the very least mid tier.

Kit Cal-N

Smash Ace
Comparing clown cart to the usefulness of an item is absolutely ludicrous.

Besides, I clearly said I do not think Bowser Jr. doesn't belong in bottom tier. He is at the very least mid tier.
I was talking about people always talking about Mechakoopa being a liability.
And using Clown Cart as the core of a strategy again falls on the player. If the gimmick doesn't work, and the character has other options, then it's not a gimmicky character.

I pretty much agree. I don't think he's top tier, but he's definitely not garbage.

Zenopo

Smash Rookie
@ Jabejazz Jabejazz
I used Link for comparison because when I think of a character that uses tools, he's the first that pops into my head. He also (IMO) utilizes his tools far better then Bowser Jr. could do with his.

Well that was just one of the reasons, others would be that his smashes feel that there is a lot of recovery time, you can shield out of his jab or retaliate before the last hit lands, and again (to my knowledge) you can't combo after a grab.

Jabejazz

Smash Ace
NNID
jabejazz
3DS FC
2079-8507-3496
@ Jabejazz Jabejazz
I used Link for comparison because when I think of a character that uses tools, he's the first that pops into my head. He also (IMO) utilizes his tools far better then Bowser Jr. could do with his.
A "tool" isn't just referring to projectiles. Every character has tools. I could've used move set, but people generally get the point when I use "tools".

Last edited:

Zenopo

Smash Rookie
@ Kit Cal-N Kit Cal-N
Not sure who that's for, but for me, I don't know how to play Sheik and know she's in a tier of her own.

Zenopo

Smash Rookie
@ Jabejazz Jabejazz
Ahh, I was unaware of that, I'm am new to playing Smash (more or less) seriously and do not know the terms very well.

Neverbound

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Wulfiepaw
Switch FC
5778-4164-2795
All this talk about tiers but nobody going to tournaments to represent characters

stahp

dawgbowl

Smash Ace
3DS FC
3239-2803-2467
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC3_7c_55oF-T-QR6wGqlXKw/feed?view_as=public

I recorded about 8-10 videos, some of them are completely unwatchable. I'm using a sony cybershot and should have turned off the tracking focus, probably would have helped. will do in the future.

Definitely play better when I'm not reaching around a camera and trying to hold it stable, but there should be some flashes of brilliance in there (with commentary that's basically useless)

EDIT: The donkey/diddy matches were early and really sketchy... I started to put things together against the yoshi guy, ZSS, and the ditto (which was the salty yoshi guy)

Last edited:

Raider 88

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Raider704
3DS FC
5086-1674-5462
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC3_7c_55oF-T-QR6wGqlXKw/feed?view_as=public

I recorded about 8-10 videos, some of them are completely unwatchable. I'm using a sony cybershot and should have turned off the tracking focus, probably would have helped. will do in the future.

Definitely play better when I'm not reaching around a camera and trying to hold it stable, but there should be some flashes of brilliance in there (with commentary that's basically useless)

EDIT: The donkey/diddy matches were early and really sketchy... I started to put things together against the yoshi guy, ZSS, and the ditto (which was the salty yoshi guy)
Cool videos...I watched only 2 of them, against yoshdawg, with no sound lol, but may watch more later. Replays are your best friend in the future though!

Is that a Corgi statue or something? I feel like the Corgi could possibly win a vote to become the official dog of bowser Jr mains (wow, this is some OT stuff right here)

dawgbowl

Smash Ace
3DS FC
3239-2803-2467
I'll have some better quality replays up today, and yes that is a corgi statue. Our family is corgi people (though, i'll still own a shibe at some point... see avatar)

I may even share some pictures of our 8 week old corgi puppy my parents just got - that I'm tempted to steal.

O D I N

Smash Hero
GameAngel64's house, getting my @#% handed to me.
3DS FC
4098-3123-8629
I know people keep saying that he'll likely be mid but...
Well I've been checking out the replay channel a lot and compared to pretty much any character I've watched on said channel, the win/loss ratio is just pathetic.

Honestly I'm worried at how terribly my intended main is doing. It's seriously discouraging where he's the only character I have to sift through about 7 or so curbstomps (like, can barely get a hit in) just to see a close win. Or sometimes just all curbstomps. Like I said, this doesn't seem to be a thing with any other character I've watched.

EDIT: So far gone through about 12 videos today. Not. One. Win.

If I have motivation to record via cell phone, maybe I'll post a video or two of mine. I'm not great, but I know I've had a win or two.

VileFC3S

Smash Apprentice
NNID
KookiDowgRX-7
Tiers? Pfffftttt.

Just learn and study your matchups really. Keep playing certain experienced players here. Some characters don't do well against Bowser Jr and some do go well against Bowser Jr regardless of the knowledge or skills that they know of them. It's just the cold hard truth.

KenMeister

Smash Lord
NNID
KenMeister
3DS FC
3609-1224-8364
I don't think he's great either, but I wouldn't use FG as your criteria for ranking Jr. either. Hell, 75% of the Koopa Kid players I see spend most of the time rolling around the stage, spamming cannonballs and mecha koopas thinking they have stage control....When they don't.

Top Bottom