• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

boring specials

nitro_rev

Smash Cadet
why are three of his four specials rolling attacks, the rolling wasn't even an important part in the original sonic games, only when you jumped, it was useful. :ohwell:

Libomasus

Smash Journeyman
Rolling was always an important part in the original Sonic games. Momentum was always an important part in the original Sonic games.

Napilopez

Smash Lord
Dont forget its a Nintendo game. Anyways, havent you played SA2?

Just listen to the City Escape music: "Rollingg arouunnddd att theee speeddd of soouunndddd..."

Sonics all about the roll.

Dragonbreath

Smash Ace
Let me guess...Looking for Sonic Wind?

The spin attack is far more important than that. And it's not boring in any way.

Consider yourself trying to punch someone in the head. He blocks it. You either back off, try to get him with the other hand or your knee (you can't really kick someone at arm's length) or get clobbered. Sonic, on the other hand, can use the spin. With the focal point being the point of the block, he can just flip over the blocking arm and deliver pointy death into Blocky's face. And then he can bounce off of him for a few times, force him to the ground, charge up a spin-dash right on his chest, run over him, bounce off a tree or a garbage can or something, come back at Blocky the other way while he's trying to get up, bounce at an angle and catch him in the head again, or perhaps the knees...Basically? You know how sometimes musicians just sit down and jam out some tunes? Sonic can stand up and jam out pain. All just with the spin. And that's not even getting into how it combos with other attacks.

Not that you can (explicitly) do all that in Brawl. But the combo ability of the spin attacks carries over. It modifiable. It's variable. And it's way more exciting (Imo) than a comes-in-a-can attack like, oh...I dunno...Chaos Blast?

Tristan Darkshade

Smash Cadet
why are three of his four specials rolling attacks, the rolling wasn't even an important part in the original sonic games, only when you jumped, it was useful. :ohwell:
Rolling? Not important? In a way, you can say the jump rolls him up. However, there's so many places you can implement the roll. Why put all those hills and valleys if it's not gonna be used?

With that aside, Sonic's rolling is just... iconic. Plus it's multifunctional (if that's a good word for it). But Dragonbreath covered that part

Deathwish238

Smash Apprentice
lol i completely understand where he's coming from especially since his specials apparently all suck but i guess your going to have to think about it this way since your the underdog when you win it gives you even more bragging rights lol and not everybody is going to be picking sonic since he's a cool character. imagine him being extremely good and since its sonic everybody would pick him =/ but yea they should've came up with different or more special moves other than roll...roll...OH AND...roll :/

Circus

Rhymes with Jerkus
BRoomer
Any other moves Sonic has ever had are so much more obscure though. You'd rather have a bunch of moves that Sonic has only used in one game over his most iconic ones (well, iconic one)?

BananaNut

Smash Journeyman
"CAPTIAN! brace yourself! rant torpedo incoming!"

Time for a rant

I am so tired of hearing people say sonic's specials suck. They're retro, and that's cool because the new stuff isn't getting any better. The rolling was important in the oldies and I am GLAD Sakuri kept the rolling important in brawl. The roll can shread through dede's projectiles, then through dede, then and up air right into a homing attack into a back air for a KO. The spin is all about creativity, it's not about charging a shot up like samus then letting it fly accross the screen for an insta KO. Just because sonic's specials SEEM to be useless, they acctually have infinite combo potential. Such as the homing attack gimping peoples recovery.

What's better? a little gust of wind, or a heat-seeking razor-edged bowling ball going mach 7?

Lyoncet

Smash Apprentice
I don't mind if a bunch of his moves look the same as long as they are different. Which they are.

That said though, I was psyched when I heard that the peel-out was in Brawl, but unfortunately it was just as a taunt (it's the figure-8 charge-up he does on the "you're too slow!" taunt). Still though, a nice tribute to one of the coolest things about Sonic CD. Well, along with Metal.

AtomicBucket

Smash Rookie

Deathwish238

Smash Apprentice
the rolling specials are all great and dandy and yes we might have not even scratched the surface with its potential but lets be honest the could've had at least ONE special (besides up B imagine if he would've shot up rolling lmao) that wasn't rolling. i read some of the archie's comics (i think thats the name) and he could do other things like his taunt (the figure 8) he would actually use that as a move to fight so they could've done something to make that a move instead of a taunt...but w/e im just glad that they have sonic in there but admit that the rolls from what i've seen are like 70% predictable and have crap priority but of course they can be used but just a little disappointing to have 3 moves looking and overall kind of doing the same thing.

smashbro29

Smash Champion
NNID
Smashbro29
3DS FC
2724-0750-5127
do me a favor man any sonic fan knows the comics don't mean anything to the game and aren't even by sonic team don't use them in a video game discussion

McFox

Spread the Love
BRoomer
My teacher once told our class that nothing can be described as boring. If you put a block of wood in front of you, you could describe it as:

three-dimensional
made of wood
long
hard
dense

but you cannot add the word boring to it, because it contains no qualities of boredom. However, for any object, you must add to the equation the entity that is viewing the object, and that is where the boredom can be found.

And I'm so glad that all references to 3D Sonic games (beyond music) were left out of the game. If you haven't noticed, those suck.

Dragonbreath

Smash Ace
My teacher once told our class that nothing can be described as boring. If you put a block of wood in front of you, you could describe it as:

three-dimensional
made of wood
long
hard
dense

but you cannot add the word boring to it, because it contains no qualities of boredom. However, for any object, you must add to the equation the entity that is viewing the object, and that is where the boredom can be found.

And I'm so glad that all references to 3D Sonic games (beyond music) were left out of the game. If you haven't noticed, those suck.
Don't be totally sure of that. Flipping-arms crossing taunt? A promotional pose for Sonic Adventure. Also, Shadow is an AT.

Tristan Darkshade

Smash Cadet
Well, the homing attack is also a reference to 3D sonic games (Sonic 3D Blast is still technically 3D, seeing as you still move on three axes), but otherwise, yeah, lots of 2D references. And that's a good thing.

Top Bottom