• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Bop to the Top

flyingemus

Smash Rookie
Well, I've been reading some of the tier discussion, and playing a lot of Brawl, and it looks like Brawl is finially showing Luigi's true colors and what he's made of. It looks like he's going to be ranking towards the top of the tier list! Woot!

Its nice to see Luigi be pretty good this game. He was pretty good in the original, but he really sucked in Melee. I'll be glad if he doesn't rank in the 'Low' category again like he has in the previous two.

So yay Luigi!

Of course the tier stuff goin on isn't official, but come on, Luigi's really good this time around!

Eten

Smash Ace
I think Luigi is the most overlooked character in Brawl's cast.

I think Luigi's problem this time around isn't all that different from what happened in Melee. Luigi is extremely good, his problem match-ups just annoyingly happen to be against already top-tier characters, like Meta-knight. (I only consider two character top-tier, Snake and Meta-knight, which I think is fair given tournament results up to this point.)

What I see from luigi, I think he outshines most of the cast. He's got combo ability, fast, lagless aerials, the best sex kick in the game, can double aerial shorthop and even triple aerial in a shorthop (fair fair sex kick). He can approach through projectiles with the tornado and has more weight than lightweights, better KO power than many and an amazing up-B KO wildcard, great standard out of shield options rolls and spot dodges and some of the best recovery out there, both horizontal and vertical(and this is disregarding the 1/7 chance for a misfire auto-recovery). All of this in one package makes him easily better than all of the middle-tier, which is a large portion of brawl.

Finally since hitstun isn't universal and is somewhat character specific and luigi has possibly the lowest sufferable hitstun in the game along with often sliding or floating out of range of most combos makes him arguably the hardest character to combo in brawl- he can drop a sex kick in on somebody during a combo that normally would hit just about anybody else, including basic things like uptilt juggles and even things like Wolf's up-B between the first group of hits and the final kick.

With that all said, his only real trouble comes from a few people- characters like Toon Link and Meta-knight who have fast aerials just like luigi, but also get more range than Luigi does from their swords. Yet despite all of this, Luigi seems to get the amount of attention of a low-tier character that no one really is interested in, like Yoshi. Luigi is much better than the amount of attention he receives would indicate, and thus why I say I think Luigi is the most overlooked character in Brawl.

Where in the world in the Tier disscussion thread did anyone say Luigi is Top? O_o I basicially camp there and I haven't seen a single post say that

He seemingly aims to be around Mid/Low-High Tier from Info I've gathered arpund the net and taking in all Tier list factors into account

VEC

Smash Journeyman
lol He is gonna be low, they did a survey, he is 25 in tourneys and 29 in matchups outta 37, he is gonna be low again, Im pissed.

SmashBro99

Smash Champion
3DS FC
4957-2747-2945
You guys know the Brawl tier list for the most part is gonna be a popularity contest due to this game being so much more balanced then melee, right?

I think Luigi could be lower high tier or top of the mid.

VEC, you've been proven to be a complete idiot, your opinion holds the weight of a grain of salt. I advise you stay silent

And anyone who claims Tier lists to be a popularity constest doesn't quite understand what they are

surrepGuy

Smash Cadet
I haven't really kept up with the tier debates but I feel that luigi can AT LEAST be with the better half of the cast from personal experience and I agree with the stuff that eten said. In fact it really only seems like the only characters with completely clear tier positions are MK and snake. (of course this is just my opinion from glancing at limited info)

Neo M.J

Smash Apprentice
I haven't really kept up with the tier debates but I feel that luigi can AT LEAST be with the better half of the cast from personal experience and I agree with the stuff that eten said. In fact it really only seems like the only characters with completely clear tier positions are MK and snake. (of course this is just my opinion from glancing at limited info)
I agree about Snake and Meta knight from experience.

D

Deleted member

Luigi was banned from some low tier melee tournaments because he was considered far too good for low tier. So really has was alright in melee but no one ever unlocked his full potential. And he's even better in Brawl... probably will end up high-mid tier im guessing. Jab-upb is brutal.

SignificantGreen

Smash Rookie
As a plumber mainer i can see the sheer improvement Luigi has made from melee to brawl. I used Mario in both of the earlier titles but luigi's rapid response air attacks, his almost impossible recovery and his great approach options make him far superior to his sibling.

Though i feel tiers are less obvious in this game, i strongly feel that Luigi will be mid-high tier. By no means the best but certainly a top contender.

Also its badass that the green one is the better one. Finally he gets some attention
luigi ftw

shOOs

Smash Rookie
yea luigi is going to be low in the mid tier. He has alot of bad match-ups with the top and high tiers, but I dont see why it is so bad that he is mid tier. I know that he is good and you all know that he is good so that's all that matters. I'm glad he isnt that popular. The n00bs will stay away from him and all others will underestimate him. Thats a win win! It's always nice when I beat someone's Meta Knight (which doesnt happen that often) and they say, "but you used luigi..."

_Phloat_

Smash Champion
You guys know the Brawl tier list for the most part is gonna be a popularity contest due to this game being so much more balanced then melee, right?

I think Luigi could be lower high tier or top of the mid.
This early in the game I agree a little.

But there will always be tiers in games, unless the characters are exactly the same.

Daterian

Smash Cadet
Personally I have never really seen tiers as all that important. So someone is telling me how good my character is? Seems like that can vary based on the player. I am happy for Luigi to be seen as low tier however, the more people that underestimate him the better for me.

TheStagesmith

Smash Rookie
Personally, I'm really hoping that Luigi gets placed near the bottom just so I can kick *** with him and watch all the Snake players crawl back into their boxes.

Top Bottom