• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

BOOST BLADE~ Item Toss/Glide Tech For Mega Man

CopShowGuy

Smash Ace
NNID
CopShowGuy
3DS FC
0430-8285-4172
I've been tinkering with grab set to Z (my regular set up, actually) and grab set to L (previously used for attack so I could smash attack while holding items). The timing for each button is different. I can c-stick (seemingly) much later with the L button. The timing with the z-button is much tighter and I think I like it a little more. L button reads inputs with such little pressure but I feel the need to fully press the button until it clicks to get consistent results with it.

NinjaLink

Smash Master
NNID
NinjaLink
I get the slide no problem. Forward one is what everyone needs to figure out a consistent method.

CopShowGuy

Smash Ace
NNID
CopShowGuy
3DS FC
0430-8285-4172
Yep. Tossing it forwards consistently seems to be a bear of a problem right now. I'll have to work more on that too.

NinjaLink

Smash Master
NNID
NinjaLink
i just found out this tech from here https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rj3kgaikN_s

the inputs are dash+ grab+ c stick, and it looks cool, and it gives megaman a DACIT from brawl :D
edit: I looked around other threads and saw someone already posted a video about it. those guys beat me to it lol. anyway, i'm still trying to see if it works with c stick set to tilt..
Plz change the name as it isnt a DACIT lol

ForteX

Smash Journeyman
Hmm...I still don't like using stuff like this, which is obviously a bug. Wonder why it works.
If it's a bug, explain why only MegaMan can effectively use it while characters with higher combo potential are left completely in the lurch? Hmmm?! Clearly intentional MegaMan tech based on speedrun tactics from MegaMan 2.

</sarcasm>
As for what to call it, I think if we can come up with an easy way to forward throw the Metal Blade, call it Tengu Blade, the functionality is pretty similar.

SafCar

Smash Journeyman
3DS FC
0645-5834-8488
I'm having a hard time doing this on my regular 3DS, probably gonna need some practice on the Wii U version to get it consistent. Sucks that it absolutely requires Smash C Stick, gonna make tilts harder to pull off.

Sleek Media

Smash Lord
If it's a bug, explain why only MegaMan can effectively use it while characters with higher combo potential are left completely in the lurch? Hmmm?! Clearly intentional MegaMan tech based on speedrun tactics from MegaMan 2.

</sarcasm>
As for what to call it, I think if we can come up with an easy way to forward throw the Metal Blade, call it Tengu Blade, the functionality is pretty similar.
Boost Blade?

Waldᴏ

Smash Rookie
NNID
wallyaldo
3DS FC
3196-4091-3980
Seconding Boost Blade. Gets the point across very clearly in the name, doesn't make people question what it could be referring to, also has a nice ring to it.

ForteX

Smash Journeyman
I read "Boost Blade" and hear "YOU GOT BOOST POWER" from F-Zero X, and immediately want Captain Falcon to benefit from this. But the alliteration does make it roll off the tongue a lot better.

p1ay6ack

Smash Journeyman
hm, alright. I'll change it to boost blade for the megaman mains. cuz it sounds good and easy to say. but the technical term to it, im not sure wat to call it.

Erimir

Smash Lord
3DS FC
3823-8583-9137
The upward version is actually not that hard to perform. After only like 5 or so minutes of practice I was already getting it like 50% of the time. Went into FG and was able to do it there fine (I wasn't having much lag tho). Now I need to figure out the spacing to use it offensively + follow up into what I want. I found it easiest to follow up into up-smash for some reason. Still, easier than a lot of techniques out there. I haven't tried turning A+B smash on so I didn't try out the forward throw.

Names... Hmmm...

Well, there's the straightforward:

Dash Item Throw Cancelled Item Throw - DITCIT

Dash Item-throw Cancelled Item-throw - DICI

There was DITCHIT, of course.

On the other hand, I figure you don't really need to specify that it's an item since you can't dash and throw another player (you have to grab and thus stop moving first). But toss is a term that is generally only used for items, so maybe that would work better. So that would be:

Dash Throw/Toss Canceled Throw/Toss - DTCT

If you wanna be cute, it could be:

Dash Toss Cancelled Toss - DaTCaT

Which actually works nicely because the 'a's in dash and cancel are the same vowel as in dat and cat.

That's it for my ideas.

NinjaLink

Smash Master
NNID
NinjaLink
What did I just read lol

We need to find a consistent way to throw it forward. We know you can cancel dash throw into a smash upthrow but what makes it so we can change that angle? We need to find the loophole.

ForteX

Smash Journeyman
I'm personally in love with DITCIT/DITCHIT. It makes me irrationally happy to see things like this form real words with their acronyms, I dunno why.

Also, just out of curiosity, why do we need a way to throw the blade forward? The distance MegaMan slides is about the distance Metal Blade will travel before disappearing, and I'm reasonably sure that MegaMan's going faster than a Metal Blade travels, so throwing the Metal Blade forward doesn't seem to have any real utility aside from mounting a quick getaway with a short hitbox in the middle of it somewhere.

If covering your approach is a concern with this tech, I'd say just use it with any of the Shields. Doing the normal upwards throw I've gotten to about 80% success rate, the timing almost feels lenient as long as you remember the order you're supposed to hit the buttons in. Leaf Shield and Plant Barrier provide an easy to setup way to follow MegaMan's approach with an active hitbox, Plant Barrier may possibly be even better in this situation because of how quickly it wears off mitigating the need for the more strict timing involved in Leaf Shield. Both provide adequate hitstun when they connect to open you up for a utilt or a Smash out of the slide, provided you timed the end of the Shield to coincide when you assume you'll hit your opponent.

As is typical for me, I'm probably overlooking something obvious with the possibility of forward thrown Metal Blade, but right now it just seems more consistent to put up a Shield and slide with it. I really want to use this with Skull Barrier and pull off some goofy sliding reflect shenanigans, now...

CopShowGuy

Smash Ace
NNID
CopShowGuy
3DS FC
0430-8285-4172
Throw blade forward, slide through opponent, pivot fsmash...

Would that work? I can't seem to muster the dexterity to pull off throwing the thing forwards.

digiholic

Smash Ace
NNID
digiholic
I'm personally in love with DITCIT/DITCHIT. It makes me irrationally happy to see things like this form real words with their acronyms, I dunno why.

Also, just out of curiosity, why do we need a way to throw the blade forward? The distance MegaMan slides is about the distance Metal Blade will travel before disappearing, and I'm reasonably sure that MegaMan's going faster than a Metal Blade travels, so throwing the Metal Blade forward doesn't seem to have any real utility aside from mounting a quick getaway with a short hitbox in the middle of it somewhere.

If covering your approach is a concern with this tech, I'd say just use it with any of the Shields. Doing the normal upwards throw I've gotten to about 80% success rate, the timing almost feels lenient as long as you remember the order you're supposed to hit the buttons in. Leaf Shield and Plant Barrier provide an easy to setup way to follow MegaMan's approach with an active hitbox, Plant Barrier may possibly be even better in this situation because of how quickly it wears off mitigating the need for the more strict timing involved in Leaf Shield. Both provide adequate hitstun when they connect to open you up for a utilt or a Smash out of the slide, provided you timed the end of the Shield to coincide when you assume you'll hit your opponent.

As is typical for me, I'm probably overlooking something obvious with the possibility of forward thrown Metal Blade, but right now it just seems more consistent to put up a Shield and slide with it. I really want to use this with Skull Barrier and pull off some goofy sliding reflect shenanigans, now...
Throwing it forward would have a couple of uses, the first that comes to mind is that if you stop early, your blade keeps going, so if you're not at full screen, you can edgeguard someone while moving into position to frame trap them with an aerial. Other uses, the hitstun on metal blade is a lot more than on the shield hits, so even if you time the shield perfectly to disappear right after hitting the opponent, you can convert a bigger hit off of a blade.

Also, how cool would it be to get good enough that you can angle the blade down with a DITCHIT? You could chain them together ad infinitum!

NinjaLink

Smash Master
NNID
NinjaLink
Throw blade forward, slide through opponent, pivot fsmash...

Would that work? I can't seem to muster the dexterity to pull off throwing the thing forwards.
You only slide with upsmash and dsmash slightly. Fsmash stops on a dime.

Throwing it forward would have a couple of uses, the first that comes to mind is that if you stop early, your blade keeps going, so if you're not at full screen, you can edgeguard someone while moving into position to frame trap them with an aerial. Other uses, the hitstun on metal blade is a lot more than on the shield hits, so even if you time the shield perfectly to disappear right after hitting the opponent, you can convert a bigger hit off of a blade.

Also, how cool would it be to get good enough that you can angle the blade down with a DITCHIT? You could chain them together ad infinitum!
you wont be able to recatch it. Throwing it forward however might be possible.

CopShowGuy

Smash Ace
NNID
CopShowGuy
3DS FC
0430-8285-4172
You only slide with upsmash and dsmash slightly. Fsmash stops on a dime.
I know that, but I mean using the slide at mid range which causes you to slide past the opponent. As you're sliding past, the blade hits them and while that's happening, you stop your slide with a fsmash.

Red Shirt KRT

Smash Ace
NNID
1-337-PWN-CALL
3DS FC
0044-2813-9398
You can't throw item MB diagonal so you wouldn't be able to re grab it. If you throw it forward you might be able to regrab it though

Saltix

Smash Lord
Seems like someone else is already onto what I was thinking with about in regards to following up with Fsmash. I haven't been able to test this out yet, but is that a possible/viable option? Either forward facing FSmash to stop the slide or sliding past and Pivoting FSmash as a cross up.

Sorichuudo

Smash Ace
3DS FC
1977-1410-9227
No, replays can still be watched, which means that this patch didn't change any characters. Probably should have just checked that first.
What i was afraid of.

Well, is not the end of the world if/when this is eventually removed, so let's just have some fun with it while we can.

Zori

Smash Champion
You can still do taunts out of the slide

Doing the down taunt while sliding is ultimate swag

ForteX

Smash Journeyman
No, replays can still be watched, which means that this patch didn't change any characters. Probably should have just checked that first.
This patch actually came with reasonable patch notes explaining it did nothing but fix some glitch involving Mewtwo giving errors online for getting GSP with an extra character. Maybe they'll start giving actual patch notes in the future, too. Probably wishful thinking, though.

Honestly though they always announce balance patches before actually putting them out there, typically in a direct. I'd say the first test of this tech's survivability is gonna be Lucas. I'll go out on a limb and say that if it isn't removed when he comes out, it won't be removed - seems like we can't go a week without someone discovering some really jank infinite, so there's honestly bigger problems to worry about than being concerned over MegaMan sliding around.

Locke 06

Sayonara, bye bye~
NNID
tl.206
It is possible that DITCIT is here to stay since it has survived all of the patches before it. This "tech" has likely been there since the game came out on 3DS due to its inclusion in Brawl.

That said, it's a clear engine exploit and it would be consistent with the removal of DACUS to get rid of this as well.

Saykrd

Smash Rookie
Oh, since no one has mentioned this: Back throw is also possible.

Forward and backthrows are a bit finiky since you need to input just below :GCUR:/:GCUL: using the :GCA::GCB: method.

I've been able to do them consistently in 1/4th mode, but the margin for error is pretty big in normal time sadly.

p1ay6ack

Smash Journeyman

Forward and backthrows are a bit finiky since you need to input just below :GCUR:/:GCUL: using the :GCA::GCB: method.

I've been able to do them consistently in 1/4th mode, but the margin for error is pretty big in normal time sadly.
oh intersting. so do you slide forward while throwing the metal blade backward? i really wish these forward and backward slides were more consistent in easier button input >.<

NinjaLink

Smash Master
NNID
NinjaLink

Whats the order of inputs you're doing then?

Saykrd

Smash Rookie
Whats the order of inputs you're doing then?
If I'm facing right, It's pretty much:

:GCR: Dash -> :GCA: (hold) Dash Throw -> :GCB: + :GCUR:(but about a tenth of the distance between the NE and E groove lower)

For the backthrow input, practically it would be:

:GCR: Dash -> :GCN: + :GCA: (hold) Dash Throw -> :GCB: + :GCUL:(but about a tenth of the distance between the NW and W groove lower)

It's pretty strict. I can try and make a video going over the inputs as close to frame by frame as possible.

oh intersting. so do you slide forward while throwing the metal blade backward? i really wish these forward and backward slides were more consistent in easier button input >.<
Yeah, you slide forwards while doing a back throw.

Last edited:

NinjaLink

Smash Master
NNID
NinjaLink
If I'm facing right, It's pretty much:

:GCR: Dash -> :GCA: (hold) Dash Throw -> :GCB: + :GCUR:(but about a tenth of the distance between the NE and E groove lower)

For the backthrow input, practically it would be:

:GCR: Dash -> :GCN: + :GCA: (hold) Dash Throw -> :GCB: + :GCUL:(but about a tenth of the distance between the NW and W groove lower)

It's pretty strict. I can try and make a video going over the inputs as close to frame by frame as possible.

Yeah, you slide forwards while doing a back throw.
You sure it doesnt have to register as an smash upthrow at all? If thats the case, you can hold that direction before you do the initial throw.

Last edited:

SimplyChrono

Smash Cadet
NNID
SimplyChrono
3DS FC
0147-1307-4927
So is this confirmed to work with A+B smash attack method?, because i really don't want to change my c-stick to smash attacks, it's horrible. :sadeyes:

p1ay6ack

Smash Journeyman
So is this confirmed to work with A+B smash attack method?, because i really don't want to change my c-stick to smash attacks, it's horrible. :sadeyes:
it is confirmed to work wth a+b. i changed my c stick to smash att from tilt, and its not worth it, tilt gives so many options, and lets me down tilt so fast. i changed my c stick back to tilt today, and i'm happy with my match results. i'm trying to learn a+b method, but its a bit hard

Last edited:

SimplyChrono

Smash Cadet
NNID
SimplyChrono
3DS FC
0147-1307-4927
Thank god for that, guess i'll learn this tech then. :smirk:

Saykrd

Smash Rookie
You sure it doesnt have to register as an smash upthrow at all? If thats the case, you can hold that direction before you do the initial throw.

I thought so too, yet every time I try a forward input that isn't close to an upthrow input it doesn't end up canceling the dash throw. It's probably some inconsistency in the logic that checks whether you're trying to perform an upthrow and the actual logic to perform an upthrow.

Oh its also worth noting that the upthrow has to be a SMASH upthrow... if that adds any insight.

Last edited:
Top Bottom