• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Bonfire Lit - Chosen Undead for Smash!

Would you like to see the Chosen Undead in Smash Bros?

• Yes!

Votes: 28 46.7%
  • No...

Votes: 7 11.7%
  • PRAISE THE SUN!

Votes: 25 41.7%

• Total voters

DanganZilla5

Smash Champion
Writing Team
I am not a supporter, but I would like to see Chosen Undead be playable just to see how his moveset would translate into Smash. I am also a sucker for the horror and Gothic nature of the environments so the stage would be really cool. Some of the music is also great. So while he is not even in my top 3 most wanted Bamco characters, I think people don't give Chosen Undead enough credit. He could certainly be unique with a defensive playstyle and he comes from an iconic series that has apparently been the gold standard for difficulty, at least according to some journalists who have contributed to Dark Souls having its own line of memes.

MarioRaccoon

Smash Ace
I would like to join the chosen undead club. After seeing how Sakurai design Steve moveset, I think thay can do justice to Chosen Undead. Dark Souls and Minecraft are the most influential games of the decade, and although I’m not a 100% fan of Dark Souls but I would not be mad if they chose him as a future DLC fighter.

As some have said, I agreed that they should include an stamina bar, the parry technique and etus flask (5 per stock, no refill like Banjo-Kazooie gold wings). Considering they are various classes in DS that focuses on different things, I think that Smash team would focus on the universal features of the souls trilogy. That gets me to imagine Chosen Undead as a sword and shield fighter, who can change from one-hand sword to two-hand user, dealing more damage but decreasing its defense.

The default alt is the elite knight set, then as alternative you would have faaram and firelink armor set (+ one different color variation for each of them). They are the most iconic armor set of each Souls game. Each armor would also have their own sword and shield (like Hero).

Just like Steve, the final 2 alts would have different names, one is Solaire of Astoria (iconic NPC, it even has its own Amiibo) and Black Knight (important DS enemy, plus, the Dark Knight figure is common and popular in medieval settings like FE games).

As the stage, I choose Firelink Shrine based on the first game, its one of the first places you visit and most known by general public. Just like Mementos, depending on the music, the background color will change and like KOF Stadium, different NPCs will appear at the background.

For music, put different bosses songs, 3/4 from each title.

Last edited:

NB96

Smash Rookie
I still think this has a legit chance. More so than a "Tales of" character.

Bandai Namco, Japanese (important), popularity in both the West and Japan, and the series is contemporary. Dark Souls Remastered is on the Switch too. Chosen Undead ticks all the boxes.

Last edited:

GolisoPower

Smash Master
So I've been thinking a bit...say Chosen Undead does make it into Smash Bros. Would his content be mainly Dark Souls or would it go beyond that and be just general Soulsborne/FromSoft content as well, much like SNK? I mean, I wanna listen to Cleric Beast in battle or fight a Flamelurker Spirit, but I don't know of the chances in that regard. You guys' thoughts?

Perkilator

Smash Legend
The perpetual trash fire known as Planet Earth(tm)
So I've been thinking a bit...say Chosen Undead does make it into Smash Bros. Would his content be mainly Dark Souls or would it go beyond that and be just general Soulsborne/FromSoft content as well, much like SNK? I mean, I wanna listen to Cleric Beast in battle or fight a Flamelurker Spirit, but I don't know of the chances in that regard. You guys' thoughts?
I think mostly Dark Souls. For one, Demon’s Souls and BloodBorne are owned by Sony.

GolisoPower

Smash Master
EDIT: Whoops, wrong thread. Can a mod delete this post, please?

Last edited:

UberPyro64

Smash Ace
So, I think Chosen Undead is pretty likely atm.

I think we'll see four alts. Chosen Undead, Bearer of the Curse, Ashen One, and Solaire. The remaining four alts will be them as Phantoms. White Phantom, Gold Phantom, Red Phantom, and Blue Phantom. Solaire would obviously be the Gold Phantom, lol.

Gnateb

Smash Journeyman
Honestly, a SoulsBorne character for Smash would be interesting. Count me in! They should get Motoi Sakuraba to do a Dark Souls remix for Smash.
Totally. I think that could happen, seeing as how Sakuraba has a couple of arrangements in Fighters Pass 2 already. Interesting that after a decade of working on Smash soundtracks, he finally gets paid DLC songs for the first time.

Last edited:

Gnateb

Smash Journeyman
I find it interesting that Bandai Namco prioritized Dark Souls over all of their other IPs, for an Amiibo. The Solaire Amiibo is Bamco's only Amiibo, and it's weirdly useless. It's only use is in DS:R, to get a gesture (which can be obtained through normal play). This probably doesn't mean much, but it's also one of the only Amiibo to be completely Smash-incompatible.

THE 6r

Smash Ace
NNID
6r$¢€£¥™©®
3DS FC
2981-7049-0538
Switch FC
SW-1195-6602-2525
A thought just came to me: What if the Lloyd Mii Costume is being held back for the Chosen Undead? Both are sword users and Namco characters.

Edit: typo, whoops

Last edited:

GolisoPower

Smash Master
A thought just came to me: What if the Lloyd Moo Costume is being held back for the Chosen Undead? Both are sword users and Namco characters.
That could be a good point...problem is, I'm feeling a little bit of doubt after Pyra & Mythra's costumes turned out to be all Capcom. Not throwing this out the window, though.

Gnateb

Smash Journeyman
I said this on the speculation thread, and I'll reiterate it here.

Bandai Namco and Nintendo were willing to make an entire Amiibo for Dark Souls during Ultimate's development cycle, so I find it really hard to believe that a compatible PNG was impossible to license for Smash by now. Especially considering the closeness of Bamco and Nintendo when it comes to the Smash series.

If you couldn't tell, yes, I'm in full support of Chosen Undead getting into Smash.

Last edited:

Gnateb

Smash Journeyman
I've been making a Chosen Undead challenger pack concept, but the Smash attacks in particular have me kind of stumped. I'm sure I could decide on something if I gave it more time, but I kind of want some input from someone I do.

So far, I've been trying to keep Chosen Undead's normals as magic and Longsword attacks, and combinations of the two. I agree with what you all were talking about earlier, that it doesn't really fit for a Dark Souls character to just conjure material weapons from across the series for their moves.

I want their normals to be more concise than that, and stay faithful to the methodical adventure game that Dark Souls is. However, I don't want all of their normals to feel same-y or boring to a non-Souls fan. I want their Smash attacks to be exciting and unique, instead of just Longsword swipes.

So far I have lightning stake as down smash, as it is a spell, not a weapon. This is a popular choice for a reason, it really fits.

For Side smash, I was thinking Soul Greatsword, like I've seen in some other movesets. It's also a spell, so conjuring it out of thin air makes sense.

For up smash, though, I really like the idea of using Ornstein's Dragonslayer Spear to impale overhead opponents, and shock them. It would be so cool. However, it makes no sense, and the spear cannot be conjured canonically. Thus, it sticks out like a sore thumb among the rest of Chosen Undead's normals.

What do you all think I should do?

GolisoPower

Smash Master
I've been making a Chosen Undead challenger pack concept, but the Smash attacks in particular have me kind of stumped. I'm sure I could decide on something if I gave it more time, but I kind of want some input from someone I do.

So far, I've been trying to keep Chosen Undead's normals as magic and Longsword attacks, and combinations of the two. I agree with what you all were talking about earlier, that it doesn't really fit for a Dark Souls character to just conjure material weapons from across the series for their moves.

I want their normals to be more concise than that, and stay faithful to the methodical adventure game that Dark Souls is. However, I don't want all of their normals to feel same-y or boring to a non-Souls fan. I want their Smash attacks to be exciting and unique, instead of just Longsword swipes.

So far I have lightning stake as down smash, as it is a spell, not a weapon. This is a popular choice for a reason, it really fits.

For Side smash, I was thinking Soul Greatsword, like I've seen in some other movesets. It's also a spell, so conjuring it out of thin air makes sense.

For up smash, though, I really like the idea of using Ornstein's Dragonslayer Spear to impale overhead opponents, and shock them. It would be so cool. However, it makes no sense, and the spear cannot be conjured canonically. Thus, it sticks out like a sore thumb among the rest of Chosen Undead's normals.

What do you all think I should do?
If you're looking for inspiration, I made my own set where he uses Emit Force, Dark Bead, and Wrath of the Gods for his respective Side, Up and Down Smashes. But whatever floats your boat, man.

Gnateb

Smash Journeyman
I said this on the general speculation thread, but I might as well post it here too. This means absolutely nothing, as FromSoft doesn't actually own the design, but I think it's kind of cool.
2125_list (1).jpg

images (1).jpeg

Nintendo used the DLC Felyne headgear design from a FromSoftware developed game. Pretty neat.

GolisoPower

Smash Master
I said this on the general speculation thread, but I might as well post it here too. This means absolutely nothing, as FromSoft doesn't actually own the design, but I think it's kind of cool.
View attachment 315383
View attachment 315384

Nintendo used the DLC Felyne headgear design from a FromSoftware developed game. Pretty neat.
Oh....that's an interesting find. So technically this is our first FromSoft content in Smash. Nice. We're on the right track. :)

Gnateb

Smash Journeyman
Forgot how much I love this song. Might even be my favorite of the series, hopefully this would be included in a Dark Souls challenger pack.

Top Bottom