• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Bomb %'s Figured Out! | In Testing

SuSa

Banned via Administration
Since I noticed the % varied, and in the guide it didn't really have any specific information on how they varied, I thought I would go to training mode to see "whats up?" and so far I have some pretty promising results!

It differs from:

Note: There may be even higher Aerial Dropped %'s! (Making the 10-12% range?) However since Link cannot get that high without help, I cannot test this.

It seems it may -or may not - be differed just slighty (1-2%) by weight. However I feel this is just the slight differences in the height of the Aerial Drop and it is my error.

Aerial Thrown - 9%

Aerial Dropped - Low Height (A Shorthop Above them) - 6%

Aerial Dropped - Medium Height (Just Below A Full Hop Above them) - 7%

Aerial Dropped - High Height (Apex of Full Jump) - 8%

Ground Tossed (weak-throw (tap A) - 7%

Ground Thrown (stong-throw (A+Direction) - 8%

Tested On:

Game and Watch
Mario
King DeDeDe

Results are:
Near the same except the Aerial Dropped, which I believe is my error!

Retesting:
On every character 'weight' (my rough estimate). (G&W > Metaknight > Luigi > Mario > Link > Ganon > Snake

SuSa

That allows Stale Move Negations, which I would then be able to see how it degrades. I want the same results for a fresh bomb.

Fresh Thrown bomb-
Fresh Air Dropped bomb-
Fresh Air Thrown bomb-

etc.

Sure, it may be interesting to see how it would be staled, but that would not be accurate because the aerial dropped bomb may do 1-3% less due to being stale from my testing of the ground-thrown bomb. Thus throwing off my results.

Also:
I do each type of throw against the character 10 times to make sure its not a decimal of a % and that it doesn't vary.

Finns7

Smash Ace
This isnt known?....Idk good stuff trying to contribute, maybe I need to contribute things...I just dont want people saying OMMMMMMMMMMG this is in sector z of the Link conduct code dont u kno finnz you noob cake.

SuSa

Just do a lot of searching and digging around before you release something. And if its really simple, its probably been discovered.

I noticed in the Link Advanced Guide it said the damage varied, but didn't say how or why.... so I thought I'd do some testing

sasook

Smash Champion
No one pays attention to my guide >_>

Bombs – Link pulls out a bomb and does….whatever you want him to do with it.
7% with a normal throw, 8% with a strong throw, 6% with a bomb drop on their head, 7% with a bomb drop at their feet, 9% with a bomb throw straight down from the air, 10% at a strong up throw, 9% with a normal up throw
These were done in training mode.

@Finns, you're too respected to be called a noob lol

NintenJoe

Smash Ace
No one pays attention to my guide >_>

These were done in training mode.

@Finns, you're too respected to be called a noob lol
Sasook, no offense, but your post isn't completely accurate. I went into an intense session on figuring out the falling distance of bombs, throw velocity, and blast radius to find out how much percentage they did. There is a correlation between these factors, but its too specific and hard to explain than what its worth. Just saying: "Throw the bomb hard to do more damage. The farther the bomb falls the more damage it will do. The closer the bomb explodes to an individual, the more damage it does" is much easier than going into specifics over just a little bit of damage. :/

sasook

Smash Champion
NintenJoe, I really didn't understand what you said. Could you re-word it please? Sorry, I'm stupid lol

NintenJoe

Smash Ace
NintenJoe, I really didn't understand what you said. Could you re-word it please? Sorry, I'm stupid lol
The bombs falling distance, speed thrown, and blast radius (where an opponent is in terms of where the bomb is when it explodes) all have a factor on damage dealt from bombs. Combining these factors together to get hard numbers (ex. hard throw + direct blast + 5 frames above the ground falling distance = 9%) is a bit too much trouble to go through for just nit-picking the 1% difference in these factors.

sasook

Smash Champion
Ohh I see what you mean. So my percentages are kinda like the tip of the iceberg?

NintenJoe

Smash Ace
Ohh I see what you mean. So my percentages are kinda like the tip of the iceberg?
exactly. I beleive your % reflect how much the bomb does for a direct hit and a grounded falling distance. The amount of damage is different if you jump and throw the bomb, Z drop the bomb, etc. But, yea, those are basically, well, basic numbers.

Havokk, I appreciate what your trying to do, but this is just to big of a subject. Don't even bother if you want to keep your sanity :laugh:

sasook

Smash Champion
Bombs – Link pulls out a bomb and does….whatever you want him to do with it.
7% with a normal throw - means stand still and press A with a bomb in hand, but from what you're saying, depending on how close or far the opponent is, the damage will vary.

8% with a strong throw - same as normal throw with a "smash" control stick

6% with a bomb drop on their head - this was the footstool bomb drop thingy

7% with a bomb drop at their feet - Z drop slightly to the side so that the bomb hit the ground and they were hit by the explosion

9% with a bomb throw straight down from the air - double jump over them and C-stick down

10% at a strong up throw - up "smash" control stick after I racked up some damage so they were high enough (no decay in training mode)

9% with a normal up throw - up tilt control stick, after they were high enough
I see now the distance of which the opponent and you are has an effect on how much damage is done. So...should I axe these percentages or just leave them be?

NintenJoe

Smash Ace
:o I see you have it figured out better then me... (and why wasn't this in your guide D:)

and sorry Sasook :p I normally skip beginner guides xD
cuz i'm really lazy. I just put random % cuz it makes life easier. Ignorance is bliss...

edit: @ sasook: just leave them be, but add "grounded throw" or "Short Hop Bomb Drop" to make things a little more specific. Also say its a direct hit

sasook

Smash Champion
Okay, will do. And np Havokk, your Link doesn't really need beginner tips anyway.

but if you want to learn to bombslide, come check it out lol

SuSa

Okay, will do. And np Havokk, your Link doesn't really need beginner tips anyway.

but if you want to learn to bombslide, come check it out lol
:laugh: I can Bombslide, reverse bomb-slide (sometimes), DAC with a bomb, bombstool (its in my combo vid xD)

If it has to do with bombs, I know them.

but 90% of the time, its not practical.

sasook

Smash Champion
Reverse bombsliding is so underrated.....

I want to find a use for bomb DACing (not the same as bombsliding, for all you people who use these terms interchangeably).

I also want to find a use for that "uncommon tricks" vid someone posted a while back, with the edgeguarding by using a ZAC off a bomb that was placed on the ledge.

SuSa

1. I know its underrated, but the reverse part is to hard :p its a good retreat otherwise.

2. Bomb DAC > Throw bomb up (part of trap) they either airdodge into a full-hopped aerial, or they waste their second jump. (in which case, pull another bomb throw it up, SH pull bomb, full hop > throw towards where they are drifting (you've seen my combo video :3 believe it or not, that bomb setup works often)

Bomb DAC > Roll (if they have a dair like TL's) > Throw bomb > SH zair

Bomb DAC > Just as a mindgame "he can't DAC if hes holding a !! oh....nevermind..."

3. Bombs stagespike. If they are recovering from underneath you (rather then from the side) do the whole drop bomb>zair thing :) you may get lucky with a stage spike (and if not, your safe with your invicibility frames)

SuSa

1.Reverse part isn't too hard, you just gotta get a feel for it. I did it consistently for blu link for like 2-3 minutes straight lol.

2. I'll keep those in mind.

3. Wait, lemme get the vid I'm talking about.

EDIT: this video, I meant. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LPdG9bGq7iE
Thats actually useful at lower % :o and thanks for that vid, another edgeguard thing I can do :D

Example:

Ledgedrop bomb > Nair pick up > nair knocks down > Toss Bomb/Bomb Slide

Also I like that bomb DAC to reverse bomb slide :lick: wonder how often that would work....

sasook

Smash Champion
It's interesting and all, but how would knowing the percents help us? Like....it's a total max difference of what, 5%? *shrug*

Anonano

is the mano, ya know?
It's 5% until you understand and intuitively do the type of moves in certain situations that maximize damage. It also helps you understand how to best utilize your bombs, and may increase your technique and pizazz with them. A guy who understands every aspect of a character is always going to do better than somebody who only kind-of knows what techniques will work at what times.

I'm all for it, lootic.

Also questions that you could answer while your at it: does the bomb acceleration have anything to do with damage? (aka if dropped from the top of new pork city will it do more damage? if thrown while on the moving platform of smashville will it increase damage?)

Top Bottom