• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Bomb Jump Practice Tutorial

onedayafter7

Smash Apprentice
Im on winter break. And im here at home pretty bored. So i decided to make a bomb jump practice tutorial. I know there have been ones on here before but i didn't find them too useful. This is just my version of how to practice bomb jumping. I like it because it mimics the perfect time you would need it. Its really helped me alot and i can bomb jump pretty consistently now.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gaKUC-dYH3s

Tell me your thoughts

Spife

Smash Master
First issue, I'm not sure how long you spent on the cpu killing part, but you can just change it to human and plug in a second controller.
Also, you could set his damage to 999 and just jab him :D

The motion sensor bombs were interesting though.

onedayafter7

Smash Apprentice
Oh the cpu killing part isnt necessary. You can just leave him there and he wont be in the way. I just did it for fun. No real reason. I only have one working controller. So i cant really do the changing to human thing unless i unplug my controller and plug it into the other socket.

Spife

Smash Master
well I tried skipping past it and I think (not that I'm one to talk) it's unnecessary in the process of bomb jumping so it's omit-table in a bomb jump tutorial vid.
Also I figured EVERYONE had 2 controllers at this point >.>

otherwise, again, the motion bombs are a good way to get you off the stage

Spife

Smash Master
Well

Usually you're di'ing towards the stage so you'll have to throw the bomb up and di back (duh). I forget how far back you need to go but for what ever reason it's second nature to me, I've maybe missed the bomb up to 5 times (which isn't a lot) in my entire melee career while off screen.

I guess practice bomb jumping without looking if you want to get it down, same effect.

elvenarrow3000

Smash Master
I don't think it's possible to be knocked so far off stage that even after double jumping and DI for the bomb pull that you won't see Link. You'd be dead, It hink.

StealthyGunnar

Smash Champion
Sorry about the double post, but should I SDI when the bomb hits me or just regular DI? Because I can't seem to go as far as you do when the bomb hits...

onedayafter7

Smash Apprentice
@ca5h: If you dont DI at the right time youll go up and a little toward the stage instead of fully toward the stage. I dont think it has to be a SDI (though that would certainly increase your chances of recovering) but you want to DI right as the bomb hits you. It was hard for me to get the timing down at first too.
Also. When you were talking about doing it when you cant see link. I find that its not really about seeing your character. Its more of the motion that you must use. Now that ive got it down. When i bomb jump. Im not even looking at link. I pull out a bomb and throw it up. Ive got the muscle memory of the motion down and so after i throw the bomb im looking at the stage and my opponent to see if hes going to try to edge guard me or what. So in conclusion i guess. Just try to get the motion down when you can see him and the when you cant see him, youll still be able to do it since its the same motion.

StealthyGunnar

Smash Champion
@ca5h: If you dont DI at the right time youll go up and a little toward the stage instead of fully toward the stage. I dont think it has to be a SDI (though that would certainly increase your chances of recovering) but you want to DI right as the bomb hits you. It was hard for me to get the timing down at first too.
Also. When you were talking about doing it when you cant see link. I find that its not really about seeing your character. Its more of the motion that you must use. Now that ive got it down. When i bomb jump. Im not even looking at link. I pull out a bomb and throw it up. Ive got the muscle memory of the motion down and so after i throw the bomb im looking at the stage and my opponent to see if hes going to try to edge guard me or what. So in conclusion i guess. Just try to get the motion down when you can see him and the when you cant see him, youll still be able to do it since its the same motion.
Alright, thanks. Ya, as for the timing to DI the bomb, I was doing it too early. :laugh:

Spife

Smash Master
yep
that's why skler bomb jumps 50% better then I do, I use up-b on the stage way more and less smart.

onedayafter7

Smash Apprentice
really? it has to be fresh??? i never knew that...no wonder i i can only sometimes do it during a real match.

Spife

Smash Master
yeah, the idea is only the strongest up-b can "break" the bomb.
You might be able to get it another way but I'm not sure.

Top Bottom