• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Bodybuilding

LunInSpectra

Smash Lord
stackoverflow.com/users/1459556/rey-gonzales
Does anyone here take bodybuilding seriously?

If you do, what are your lift stats and body weight?

I'm 125 lbs and my stats are:

Bench: (4/4/4) for 135
Squat: (5/5/5) for 225
Pullups: (15/14/11)
Deadlift: 5 for 195
Military Press: (5/5/5) for 90

what about you?

Boolossus

Smash Ace
Wait, do you take bodybuilding seriously? 125 pounds is a really light body weight... but being able to BP and squat that much is pretty impressive for your body weight.

I've been working out in my free time for about a year now. I wouldn't say I'm serious about it, but I do dedicate about 2 hours a day 5 days a week.

I'm 6'3 and weigh 190. These are my maxes (free weights, not a machine)...

Bench 200
Curl 150
Push press (aka military press) 130

I also do a lot of leg excersizes & cardio stuff, but I've never really cared to max out on those.

JBM falcon08

Smash Master
Ht-5'10 Wt-167

Bench 225x11 rep max
Incline 225x6 rep max
Military 160x6 rep max
Squat to heels 225x6
DeadLift 315x6

and one of my favorites is close grip bench 215x6

LunInSpectra

Smash Lord
Isn't it weird to bench more than you squat?

Deadlift > Squat > Bench > Military Press

My deadlift isn't near what I squat, but perhaps this is because I don't like deadlifting and I don't like going below parallel.

Going below parallel on my squat hurts since I have a permanent injury in my lower back.

JBM falcon08

Smash Master
Well Squat considering im going down for full range of motion its not that much of a problem. Yeah you probably shouldn't be doing deadlift if you have a permanent injury in your lower back.

I at one time weighed in at 207. My bench was 360 once and my squat was 450 for 4.

Now that i don't take bodybuilding seriously anymore these are what my lifts are.

Bodybuilding is about the way your physique looks. If you look like arnold and only bench 100 thats ok because strength isn't important.

LunInSpectra

Smash Lord
Interesting insight.

Strength & fitness are a little more important to me, but because I sorta maxed out just recently I've been making adjustments for hypertrophy.

I followed the Starting Strength program up to now. Now, what I'm doing for hypertrophy, is:

1) Increasing the rep range by decreasing the weights. 5 reps are now 10 reps
2) Setting the rest time to a non-variable 60-90 seconds
3) Adding 1 more set to each exercise
4) Use a tempo of 4-0-2 (4 seconds negative, 0 pause, 2 going back up)
5) Eating a ton of meat, carbs, olive oil, peanut butter, milk, and protein shakes

----

Those are insane stats dude

Adam M!

Smash Lord
i debated getting really into it but i get burned out working out 2 hours a day for 5 hours a week

LunInSpectra

Smash Lord
Working out 2 hours per day can be bad for the unprepared trainee. I believe this is due to cortisol.

"Cortisol is a hormone . . . that serves to increase protein catabolism" and "when high levels are seen over time, there is also an increased chance of becoming ill due to a decreased functioning of the immune system".

(http://www.askmen.com/sports/bodybuilding_200/200_fitness_tip.html)

Cortisol is balanced with testosterone, and "overtraining due to high training volumes often results in a decrease in the ratio"

(http://weighttraining.about.com/od/weighttrainingsupplements/a/cortisol0708.htm).

"After around 45 to 50 minutes of a hard weight training work out the blood's natural flow of testosterone was decreased by almost 80%"

(http://www.articlealley.com/article_894148_23.html)

----

I only workout 3-4 times a week, every other day, just over an hour each time.

Adam M!

Smash Lord
when u have a drive to be great it permeates every aspect of your life.

Kira-

Smash Champion
there's a difference between working out and body building, though
Most definitely, strength training and body building are completely different as JBM falcon already stated. I really think Rey just meant working out in general and not bodybuilding specifically though.

I'm also doing the SS program, same as Rey but I just started 2 weeks ago and so I am not lifting weights as heavy as I was doing beforehand, which is mostly why I'll wait to post up my log of workouts. During that time I allowed myself to recover a bit and fixed all form problems (as I had many) and so I'm pretty sure I can get to new PRs a lot faster now. I also gained some weight which is what I've been trying to do so that is good.

Zivilyn Bane

Smash Master
Lol Lunin you're the last person I expected to be weight lifting, much less "body building."

I used to work at a gym and took weight lifting in high school

I'm only 5' 4" tall
In high school I weighed 165
My bench max was 225, but I don't remember what my other maxes were. 225 is beastly for 5'4" though.

I'm a little overweight now (married, have 2 kids) but a couple of months ago I was still able to put up 200 twice. I think I'm gonna get back into it and lose some weight...

Kira-

Smash Champion
Ht-5'10 Wt-167

Bench 225x11 rep max
Incline 225x6 rep max
Military 160x6 rep max
Squat to heels 225x6
DeadLift 315x6

and one of my favorites is close grip bench 215x6
How did you achieve this and how long did it take? That's pretty beast for a BW of 167

pandacheck

Smash Ace
just going off me 2 months ago before i hurt my leg umm ... these were my maxes before i took a little vacation
5'9 / went from 150 to 162 when i maxed out at these numbers below
flat bench / max 225, its ok
incline bench / max 195, weak upper pecZ
squat / max 220, weak legs
deadlift / max 200, ....

i'd only workout 3 days a week, then proceed to enjoying a 40oz of Old English Protein

Top Bottom