• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Bob-Omg Social: Count to 300 bob-ombs!

KingofPhantoms

The Spook Factor
3DS FC
1006-1145-8453

It's not a sandbox game, I can tell you that much.

Sometimes you have devs that work on games that end up being doomed right from the start for various reasons. Other times, it is indeed quite confusing and could be worth trying to think about though not always. I say that because trying to come up with ways to make a game like I described better is like actually trying to come up with ways that The Room could have been better; those types of things I find are better off enjoying for the unintentional comedy (as well as the petting of dogs that somehow went unnoticed on the set).

It usually goes like this: some person I watch live streams it (not by his own choice but rather by vote) or I find a review of it somewhere. I've got like 3 candidates to choose from: Lifeline, Metal Gear Solid (for games I never played), and an interactive movie from 1998. So, I've got some quality games to pick from (only one of these is actually good). :p
True, sometimes other factors might affect the game's quality and there isn't much the developers could do about it even if they did have an honestly good vision for the game. Otherwise, yeah, some game end up being so unbelievably bad and bizarre that it's nigh-impossible to figure out what could have possibly caused it to turn out that way. Beastly definitely sounds like the latter case.

Hm, you've found some good and interesting streams then haha. It's not like I don't know my own fair share of bad, weird and obscure games, but I don't doubt that you probably know about far more than I do. And if nothing else, that's certainly a unique selection of games right there. :p

Blossom ✿

Smash Ace
Switch FC
1923-2750-8413

True, sometimes other factors might affect the game's quality and there isn't much the developers could do about it even if they did have an honestly good vision for the game. Otherwise, yeah, some game end up being so unbelievably bad and bizarre that it's nigh-impossible to figure out what could have possibly caused it to turn out that way. Beastly definitely sounds like the latter case.
And remember, Beastly is a movie that exists. That description can also be used to describe the game.
Hm, you've found some good and interesting streams then haha. It's not like I don't know my own fair share of bad, weird and obscure games, but I don't doubt that you probably know about far more than I do. And if nothing else, that's certainly a unique selection of games right there. :p
It's rather one person who has his backlog of games available online for everybody to see. It's uh... huge, like really really huge. Like over 5000 games and counting.

I wanna know what you know as far as weird, obscure games go. I have a few myself: A Cartoon Network racing game on the GBA that's garbage (it doesn't even have a save function, in 2003 no less!), a Winnie the Pooh game on the GBC that I have no clue why I still own (fun fact, this game was the first Winnie the Pooh game to my knowledge that was released on an actual console), and Spectrobes which is uh, interesting. There are three games in the series but I only have the first two.

KingofPhantoms

The Spook Factor
3DS FC
1006-1145-8453

And remember, Beastly is a movie that exists. That description can also be used to describe the game.
I looked it up in addition to the game. It really didn't do that well, yet a licensed game for it came to be developed and released anyway, somehow (one thing I don't know is whether it was already being developed prior to the movie's release or very close to it's release time).

It's rather one person who has his backlog of games available online for everybody to see. It's uh... huge, like really really huge. Like over 5000 games and counting.

I wanna know what you know as far as weird, obscure games go. I have a few myself: A Cartoon Network racing game on the GBA that's garbage (it doesn't even have a save function, in 2003 no less!), a Winnie the Pooh game on the GBC that I have no clue why I still own (fun fact, this game was the first Winnie the Pooh game to my knowledge that was released on an actual console), and Spectrobes which is uh, interesting. There are three games in the series but I only have the first two.
Who's the streamer in question? And...huh. I wonder if he'll somehow ever manage to finish that backlog..... (well, then again, there are people who own over 5000 and even 10000 games on Steam to my knowledge, so it's certainly possible).

Well you could either try selling them or keep them as collector's items. :p And, let's see.....I don't know of that many obscure weird games, but I think know at least a few "good" ones. Ever hear of Limbo of the Lost? There's some following surrounding that game for sure (probably helped by some news that came out of it not long after it was released) but I don't see it brought up all that much anymore.

Blossom ✿

Smash Ace
Switch FC
1923-2750-8413

Who's the streamer in question? And...huh. I wonder if he'll somehow ever manage to finish that backlog..... (well, then again, there are people who own over 5000 and even 10000 games on Steam to my knowledge, so it's certainly possible).

Well you could either try selling them or keep them as collector's items. :p And, let's see.....I don't know of that many obscure weird games, but I think know at least a few "good" ones. Ever hear of Limbo of the Lost? There's some following surrounding that game for sure (probably helped by some news that came out of it not long after it was released) but I don't see it brought up all that much anymore.
I imagine you've heard of this name before: Proton Jon. The guy with that Superman 64 LP that has gone through issues, some of which, well, happened. He actually live streams in addition to doing videos for his own channel and TRG. I've been keeping up and has a thing where he's trying to beat 52 games this year so he is trying to finish that backlog. The best part about that was Beastly was among those games lol

I'm keeping them. And no, I haven't heard of Limbo of the Lost and apparently, there was this thing about the game plagiarizing from other games which is something to say the least.

Also, ever heard of a "game" called Tender Loving Care?

KingofPhantoms

The Spook Factor
3DS FC
1006-1145-8453

So, is MLP ever going to end? Or are they just going to keep milking it until the end of the human race?
What Fluttershy said. On the subject though I do hope it ends at some point, simply out of concern for the show's quality as it goes on. So far it's still doing just fine, imo.

I imagine you've heard of this name before: Proton Jon. The guy with that Superman 64 LP that has gone through issues, some of which, well, happened. He actually live streams in addition to doing videos for his own channel and TRG. I've been keeping up and has a thing where he's trying to beat 52 games this year so he is trying to finish that backlog. The best part about that was Beastly was among those games lol

I'm keeping them. And no, I haven't heard of Limbo of the Lost and apparently, there was this thing about the game plagiarizing from other games which is something to say the least.

Also, ever heard of a "game" called Tender Loving Care?
Ah, didn't expect it to be him. Yeah, I've seen him playing games before via a few videos of his and many times while watching TheRunAwayGuys, but I didn't know he did streams. Hearing all that I think I might start following his streams....

It's very much true that the game plagiarized from other fictional works, and it wasn't limited to just other video games, either. The development team stole backgrounds from The Elder Scrolls: Oblivion, Sea Dogs, World of Warcraft and Thief: Deadly Shadows, and used them as locations for their game's world. They also took a scene from the movie Spawn, and also images from Beetlejuice and from the Pirates of the Caribbean movies. There is yet more to the game than large amounts of rather blatant plagiarism, however, if you're interested.

I haven't. I could possibly guess what it's theme is, but eh, I'll just ask: What's that one about?

Last edited:

Blossom ✿

Smash Ace
Switch FC
1923-2750-8413

Ah, didn't expect it to be him. Yeah, I've seen him playing games before via a few videos of his and many times while watching TheRunAwayGuys, but I didn't know he did streams. Hearing all that I think I might start following his streams....
He streams on Twitch on Wednesdays and Saturdays except when he's at conventions which he does quite a bit. If you do start watching his streams, prepare for a lot of in-jokes that you won't get, haha. He's been doing this since 2013 and has his old streams archived on a separate channel. Well, some of them anyway.
It's very much true that the game plagiarized from other fictional works, and it wasn't limited to just other video games, either. The development team stole backgrounds from The Elder Scrolls: Oblivion, Sea Dogs, World of Warcraft and Thief: Deadly Shadows, and used them as locations for their game's world. They also took a scene from the movie Spawn, and also images from Beetlejuice and from the Pirates of the Caribbean movies. There is yet more to the game than large amounts of heavy plagiarism, however, if you're interested.
Wow, yikes. I wanna see how deep this rabbit hole goes.
I haven't. I could possibly guess what it's theme is, but eh, I'll just ask: What's that one about?
It's an interactive movie about a husband and wife getting a live-in psychiatrist to help deal with problems that the latter has. Between the cutscenes, you take Thematic Apperception Tests and depending on your answers, your experience with the game will vary as your experience will be unique to you. I've heard that the story can get really weird as there are alternate scenes and alternate endings. Oh, and John Hurt is in this game.

KingofPhantoms

The Spook Factor
3DS FC
1006-1145-8453

He streams on Twitch on Wednesdays and Saturdays except when he's at conventions which he does quite a bit. If you do start watching his streams, prepare for a lot of in-jokes that you won't get, haha. He's been doing this since 2013 and has his old streams archived on a separate channel. Well, some of them anyway.
Thanks for the info! I'll check to see if he's streaming anything this Saturday.

I might go back and watch some of his older streams out of curiosity as well.

Wow, yikes. I wanna see how deep this rabbit hole goes.
The plagiarism is probably the worst part simply for being the legal issue that it is, but apart from that, the game itself has tons of other odd things about it.

You play as Benjamin Briggs (this game's interpretation of the captain of the Mary Celeste, an actual 19th Century ghost ship, on which he and his family and crew disappeared without a trace) in who's been trapped in limbo, apparently so as to somehow assist Destiny (personified) in a war against Fate (also personified). Simple enough story for something with a fantasy horror theme, if an odd one.

The game is a point and click adventure, so the gameplay is basic enough, straightforward and mainly puzzled-based. Here's the thing though; the game was being developed prior to 1995, but because the platforms it was being made for were quickly losing popularity, it was retooled into a PC game and entered development hell until it was finally released in 2008, and it really shows. The graphics look extremely dated and the animations are.......putting it very nicely, sloppy (they're laggy, twitchy, models tend clip through other parts of themselves, and they often move as though they were actually some kind of stop-motion animation; some frames of animation that look like they should be there to make it look more smooth are instead non-existent) They apparently couldn't manage to rework or redo most of that despite all the time that had passed, and I'm not sure the game would've looked "good" even by the time of it's original intended release date. Even the expressions of the main character (which doesn't really change outside of cutscenes) tend to look uncanny.

On top of that, you can tell they didn't really put much effort into voice acting for most of the characters (typical for many bad games) which are apparently mostly intended to be creepy, but a lot of them are more quirky than anything and plenty of them look rather ridiculous, and their voices, again, do not help their case. Most of the effects they probably intended for the game to give off pretty much failed to do so because all of this.

What most people tend to agree stands out most of all about the game (apart from it's plagiarism) however, is it's ending. Which mostly doesn't really add up to the given storyline for the game.........I'm not gonna say anything else about it. It needs to be seen to be believed. Spoiling it by just explaining it isn't any fun.

It's an interactive movie about a husband and wife getting a live-in psychiatrist to help deal with problems that the latter has. Between the cutscenes, you take Thematic Apperception Tests and depending on your answers, your experience with the game will vary as your experience will be unique to you. I've heard that the story can get really weird as there are alternate scenes and alternate endings. Oh, and John Hurt is in this game.
Hm, doesn't sound too "bad" per say, so far, just a bit unusual.

...and then there's that last bit. A fictionalized version of the actor himself or a character he voiced?

Last edited:

Blossom ✿

Smash Ace
Switch FC
1923-2750-8413

Thanks for the info! I'll check to see if he's streaming anything this Saturday.

I might go back and watch some of his older streams out of curiosity as well.
He's had some funny things happen. For example, one time he accidentally kicked a cartridge of Mario 3 while it was in the Retron and completely messed up the graphics. Instead of fixing the issue, he decides to play through the game (the graphics get worse as he plays) and beats it. Another time he had two games crash on him at the same time by pure chance. And then another where he somehow managed to glitch a Wheel of Fortune game by having the timer count up and it would not stop going up.
The plagiarism is probably the worst part simply for being the legal issue that it is, but apart from that, the game itself has tons of other odd things about it.

You play as Benjamin Briggs (this game's interpretation of the captain of the Mary Celeste, an actual 19th Century ghost ship, on which he and his family and crew disappeared without a trace) inwho's been trapped in limbo, apparently so as to assist Destiny (personified) in a war against Fate (also personified). Simple enough story for something with a fantasy horror theme.

The game is a point and click adventure, so the gameplay is basic enough, straightforward and mainly puzzled-based. Here's the thing though; the game was being developed prior to 1995, but because the platforms it was being made for were quickly losing popularity, it was retooled into a PC game and entered development hell until it was finally released in 2008, and it really shows. The graphics look extremely dated and the animations are.......putting it very nicely, sloppy (they're laggy, twitchy, models tend clip through other parts of themselves, and they often move as though they were actually some kind of stop-motion animation; some frames of animation that look like they should be there to make it look more smooth are instead non-existent) They apparently couldn't manage to rework or redo most of that despite all the time that had passed, and I'm not sure the game would've looked "good" even by the time of it's original intended release date. Even the expressions of the main character (which doesn't really change outside of cutscenes) tend to look uncanny.

On top of that, you can tell they didn't really put much effort into voice acting for most of the characters (typical for many bad games) which are apparently mostly intended to be creepy, but a lot of them are more quirky than anything and plenty of them look rather ridiculous, and their voices, again, do not help their case.

What most people tend to agree stands out most of all about the game (apart from it's plagiarism) however, is it's ending. Which mostly doesn't really add up to the given storyline for the game.........I'm not gonna say anything else about it. It needs to be seen to be believed. Spoiling it by just explaining it isn't any fun.
Oh god, that sounds like development hell in its purest form.
Hm, doesn't sound too "bad" per say, so far, just a bit unusual.

...and then there's that last bit. A fictionalized version of the actor himself or a character he voiced?
I just gave you brief synopsis, it only unravels from there. The acting is uh, well, it exists. John Hurt does play a character and with your help, he can, according to him, "Reassemble the happenings here". :p

KingofPhantoms

The Spook Factor
3DS FC
1006-1145-8453

Huh, haven't been ninja'd here in a while.

He's had some funny things happen. For example, one time he accidentally kicked a cartridge of Mario 3 while it was in the Retron and completely messed up the graphics. Instead of fixing the issue, he decides to play through the game (the graphics get worse as he plays) and beats it. Another time he had two games crash on him at the same time by pure chance. And then another where he somehow managed to glitch a Wheel of Fortune game by having the timer count up and it would not stop going up.
...How even.....

Eh, nevermind, that all sounds like it'd be amazing to watch. :laugh:

Oh god, that sounds like development hell in its purest form.
The majority of the game's problems, more likely than not, are. I like to think it probably wouldn't have had any plagiarizing involved either if it was finished much earlier like it was intended, but who knows? Apparently only certain people on the dev team stole assets from other media and the majority of the developers and the publishing company had no clue anything was plagiarized to begin with. That's what they claimed on their official statements on the issue at least.

The one thing that probably wasn't at least partially (or in this case, at all) the result of development hell issues though, was, again, that ending.

I just gave you brief synopsis, it only unravels from there. The acting is uh, well, it exists. John Hurt does play a character and with your help, he can, according to him, "Reassemble the happenings here". :p
I see. Curiosity of the game might beckon me enough to watch some footage of it...

Last edited:

Blossom ✿

Smash Ace
Switch FC
1923-2750-8413

...How even.....

Eh, nevermind, that all sounds like it'd be amazing to watch. :laugh:
Which one? All of them seem silly. :p
Everything breaks on stream including the stream itself (not all the time actually). I also forgot to mention he is a Twitch partner so he does get paid for people that subscribe to the channel.
The majority of the game's problems, more likely than not, are. I like to think it probably wouldn't have had any plagiarizing involved either if it was finished much earlier like it was intended, but who knows? Apparently only certain people on the dev team stole assets from other media and the majority of the developers and the publishing company had no clue anything was plagiarized to begin with. That's what they claimed on their official statements on the issue at least.

The one thing that probably wasn't at least partially (or in this case, at all) the result of development hell issues though, was, again, that ending.
That's why you always check your sources... and to also not steal other people's stuff.
I see. Curiosity of the game might beckon me enough to watch some footage of it...
Remember, I never said it was good, just that it was a thing that exists. :p

KingofPhantoms

The Spook Factor
3DS FC
1006-1145-8453

Which one? All of them seem silly. :p
Everything breaks on stream including the stream itself (not all the time actually). I also forgot to mention he is a Twitch partner so he does get paid for people that subscribe to the channel.
All of it, lol

That's good. He essentially gets paid for doing something he really seems to enjoy doing. A lot of other big time gamer channels on YT and Twitch seem to get money from it in some way as well, so I'm not too surprised.

That's why you always check your sources... and to also not steal other people's stuff.
Indeed.

The game was pretty much screwed as soon as it's intended platforms ceased production, if not before that.

Remember, I never said it was good, just that it was a thing that exists. :p
That's why I'm curious though. :teeth:

Last edited:

Blossom ✿

Smash Ace
Switch FC
1923-2750-8413

All of it, lol

That's good. He essentially gets paid for doing something he really seems to enjoy doing. A lot of other big time gamer channels on YT and Twitch seem to get money from it in some way as well, so I'm not too surprised.
Oh here's another one. Anytime he gets to mess with a character creator or anything that lets him edit things into the game.

And Twitch recently introduced tier subs too, and there will be people willing to pay more sooo. Oh, and the sub icon is an egg.
Indeed.

The game was pretty much screwed as soon as it's intended platforms ceased production, if not before that.
Pretty much yeah.
That's why I'm curious though. :teeth:
:seuss:

Top Bottom