• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Bigginer Tips for Kirby-Advice?

PappaT

Smash Rookie
Alright, i read the kirby guide and i got the basics down for him but i need a little more. What moves are like my bread and butter moves and what should i be really staying away from? In a few sentences, whats the best kirby beginner advice?

Thanks

psykoplympton

Smash Ace
First off welcome to the boards!

I would have to say kirbys bread and butter is his b-air and more importantly his kirbicides. Kirbicides own face vs everyone so learn to set those up when ever you need them.

other than that, um dont get hit!

Jayferd

Smash Apprentice
Crouch owns against tall characters - many of them can't grab you, and d-tilt has pretty good range. But yeah, bair is your bread and butter - your finishers are usually bair or uair, but most often you have to follow over the ledge with a dair or bair to get a kill. (or kirbycide!)

TipZ

Smash Apprentice
Dair is a great spike since kirby's got hops
Uair is surprisingly strong
Use tilts
edge guard like a real ball of air does

Nair sucks, use it often

Pink Reaper

Real Name No Gimmicks
BRoomer
In the Air, Using Up b as an offensive move
utilt, great against fast fallers/heavys.
throws, a general rule of smash is that throws are awesome, use them lots
utilt>grab(hey look, they go together), yeah kirby doesnt have a lot of combos so you take what you can get. The uptilt is kirbys only real combo-able move and it really only leads into more utilt or an ariel.
I myself am a fan of the bair approach in that you approach your opponent facing backwards or you can just wavedash forward into a quick DD to face backwards and then wavedash backwards. Its significantly easier than it sounds.

Other random things, ummmmmmm, the fourth hit of kirby's fair has very little knockback but enough stun to lead into a grab. Also Ive found that those not familier with playing against a kirby arent particularly good at teching a uthrow, especially if they're playing a Fast Faller, so if you can get a grab i might suggest a Uthrow>fair(fourth kick>Grab, just dont expect it to work for very long. Also, Dthrow on platforms, makes it really easy to tech chase.

Other basics, tilts in general are usefull, know your stage counterpicks, ledge camp ALOT, dont get hit, and mindgames, you should learn them. Other than that its really all about practice, practice, practice. Learn the basics(general basics, not just kirby basics) and just practice untill you dont miss them ever. So when your doing a kirby ditto with t!mmy you dont accidently air dodge yourself off the stage >_>

Da Squeakz

Smash Rookie
Remember that Kirby will get punted by everyone. I probably spend about half of each game in the air, and probably half of my air time is not my fault. Learn to dodge people and yes, mind games are your best weapon.

t!MmY

Smash Hero
NNID
t1mmy_smash
That's terrible advice. It's pretty obvious that you can get better at Kirby by playing him much more quickly than by not playing him.

Typo_Brawler

Smash Cadet
I have a pretty good Kirby tip :p. Ok lets say there a pokeball in the middle of the stage and you and your apponet want it. Running A can get the apponet away and you a pokeball :D Yay!

Anyway good luck with the Kirbying :)

Flipstar

Smash Journeyman
well basically you have to use mind games to win. Kirby isn't overpowering and isn't really great, u have to make people fall for traps you set up, and hope that they take the bait.

Kirby Redux

Smash Journeyman
I have a pretty good Kirby tip :p. Ok lets say there a pokeball in the middle of the stage and you and your apponet want it. Running A can get the apponet away and you a pokeball :D Yay!

Anyway good luck with the Kirbying :)

except for the fact that dash-a is horrible move...

low damage,
can get you killed if you go off the side with it,

it only has the small plus of knocking ur opponent back some...

Dogysamich

The Designated Hype Man!
BRoomer
Man, i actually glanced over this topic 3/4 times and didnt read it.

my advice for kirby.

1) duck. Unless you know they can hit you while you're crouching, then block.

2) Tilt. Tilt. And then tilt again.

3) Go for the edgeguard, you're Jigglypuff Jr.

____

Beyond that, when you learn how to kirbicide, dont be afraid to use it. The folklore around here is true; it shouldnt matter much to you if you lose a stock or not. You're kirby, you're probably gunna lose. ( :( )

See how bad marth gets scared when he loses his stock.

Top Bottom