• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Big Noob Question: Ness Kills Dedede at 11%

HiPNoTyQ

Smash Cadet
NNID
HiPNoTyQ
3DS FC
1521-2688-6157
Hey so I'm a big noob and not sure if this is supposed to happen or a bug or whatever.
I was just playing against the AI as Dedede and up against Ness. I was at 11% and threw a gordo at him, he hit it right back at me with a baseball bat and it immediately sent me upwards and smashed me out. At 11%? Holy crap! Is this supposed to happen? I'm gonna have to think twice the next time I just throw out a gordo.

arwnightmare

Smash Cadet
ness bat has reflective properties, and king dedede gordo throw is powerful...and im not sure but when ness reflects back they are more damaging...so its just a recipe for trouble for projectile people against Ness

lRasha

Smash Apprentice
Which stage was it? Which part on the stage were you on?

SilverhandX

Smash Cadet
NNID
SilverhandX
Stage and position could be a factor because of the differing blastzones and such, but as arwnightmare said Ness' bat has reflective properties which do hurt quite a bit. I'll have to test kill percentages on this myself later.

the8thark

Smash Lord
Did you use the vectoring the wrong way as you were being launched into the air?

Rakurai

Smash Ace
Dedede's Gordo has some wacky mechanics in terms of how its damage is calculated.

Its velocity is a factor in how much damage it causes, and as Ness' bat increases both the damage and speed of the projectiles it reflects, it makes it cause an abnormally large amount of damage. The closer you are to Dedede when you bat it into him, the more it'll hurt, to point of it causing over 300% if it's done at point blank.

Last edited:

PCHU

Smash Lord
Dedede's Gordo has some wacky mechanics in terms of how its damage is calculated.

Its velocity is a factor in how much damage it causes, and as Ness' bat increases both the damage and speed of the projectiles it reflects, it makes it cause an abnormally large amount of damage. The closer you are to Dedede when you bat it into him, the more it'll hurt, to point of it causing over 300% if it's done at point blank.
It's always puzzled me how King Dedede not only takes about half a second to launch the projectile, but can't launch it nearly as fast as everyone else can by jabbing it, and half the time, I'm still in endlag before I'm able to shield the reflected gordo.
I see why they made it laggy, but you can hit it back before he even launches it; I'd like to see this tweaked at the very least, if only to allow me to launch it faster/harder while maintaining the same amount of startup/cooldown.

Mysteltainn

Smash Ace
Ness' bat naturally sends a projectile back to the caster with 2x the launch rate, but King Dedede's Gordos also have strange mechanics of their own that contribute as well, making it an automatic 1HKO if Ness sweet spots it, even if Dedede is at 0%. You may want to avoid using it vs a Ness that you feel may take advantage of it. Sort of like Mega Man's Metal Blade vs Villager (disables use until thrown by Villager), or a Villager pocketing an enemy Villager's Gyroid (disables use until thrown by Villager), or someone reflecting Villager while he's riding on the Gyroid, there seems to be a lot of quirks like this in Smash 4.

Last edited:

Tumbleweed Tuner

Smash Apprentice
The CPU throws my gordos back all the time, but using the gordos to recover or making them fall on opponents heads works well without backfiring. Even pickachu's quick attack well send the deadly gordo flying back at me.

Gordos kill Master Hand and his versions though. I just wish Masterhand and Masterbeast wasn't so cheap.

HiPNoTyQ

Smash Cadet
NNID
HiPNoTyQ
3DS FC
1521-2688-6157
The whole thing puzzled me so much, I actually saved the replay. I just recorded it off my TV for you guys to see.
Please excuse the ****ty Blair Witch videography, also please excuse my lack of skill.

Last edited:

lRasha

Smash Apprentice
The whole thing puzzled me so much, I actually saved the replay. I just recorded it off my TV for you guys to see.
Please excuse the ****ty Blair Witch videography, also please excuse my lack of skill.

Wow. It went from 11% to 77% in one hit.

Rakurai

Smash Ace
They could fix this by simply making it so the Gordo has consistent damage and doesn't vary based on how fast it's moving.

If you manage to reflect it at point blank range, it'll do over 300% damage and send him flying at what's presumably the maximum possible launch speed.

Last edited:

Hayzie

Smash Lord
NNID
Hayzie
3DS FC
5000-3322-4068
pausing at :16 for lulz. :4dedede:

Physics. That's pretty brutal. Ness' bat is the goat, but I didn't expect it to destroy DayDayDay like that. :pow:

Top Bottom