• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

better and faster way of hugging. (UPDATE!)

Vro

Smash Lord
This is very swift, with no chance of overpassing the ledge. Although people will still differ on how to edgehog, this is a good find.

Valken

Smash Apprentice
I find this extremely situational and pretty much useless. Sure you can do it right out of dodge, but the time it takes to do the dodge animation is much much that simply stepping off the edge. It may be cooler, trickier, and niftier, but it sure as hell isn't faster.

It definately has it's uses, they are just few and far between.

I want to accentuate the point that this is indeed cooler, trickier, and niftier than simply hugging. And for that, you deserve a high five.

Ulevo

Smash Master
This most definitely has its uses. It is a safer, more insured way of Hugging, and for that alone, it is useful. Characters like Captain Falcon and Sonic have trouble Hugging because of how fast they run, so this helps them out a bit. It's also a good retreat method if you happen to be shielding near the edge, and can be used to counter attack from a ledge hop.

Good find in my opinion.

Valken

Smash Apprentice
This most definitely has its uses. It is a safer, more insured way of Hugging, and for that alone, it is useful. Characters like Captain Falcon and Sonic have trouble Hugging because of how fast they run, so this helps them out a bit. It's also a good retreat method if you happen to be shielding near the edge, and can be used to counter attack from a ledge hop.

Good find in my opinion.
Good points. I didn't think of Falcon and Sonic. Excellent point. As far as a retreat goes, will probably get hit on your way down and, in return, become edgeguarded.

This moves a toss up.

Ulevo

Smash Master
Good points. I didn't think of Falcon and Sonic. Excellent point. As far as a retreat goes, will probably get hit on your way down and, in return, become edgeguarded.

This moves a toss up.
I am unsure of how fast this method is from the point at which the roll ends, to the point where the character clings to the edge, so I am not sure how safe it is as a retreat method near an edge, but it makes sense in theory. It may even differ from character to character. I will try putting it into practice the next time I have a few rounds.

Frostspin

Smash Rookie
Some may be having trouble doing it (as I was until about 5 minutes ago, now perfected) because you don't just press down diagonally, or at least that didn't work for me. Just pressing diagonally down after the roll caused me to fast fall down. To do the hug, I press down diagonal, then sweep it forward quickly once he falls off the edge to initiate the hug

siqmonkey

Smash Apprentice
first off, im happy that everyone is getting the hang of this tech and using it as a safer way of hugging. for that i thank you. second, most of you have trouble learning this. its really simple. you can walk/run to the edge to the point where your character is in its "im about to fall" animation or whatever its called. then just tap diagonally down on your control/joy stick(not the c-stick) depending on which side of the stage you are in (if your on left then tap diagonally left, if your on the right then tap diagonally right). you dont tap diagonally during the roll animation, its after. this way is hard to do because you can fastfall since your facing away from the stage. i roll dodge to the edge so i can face to the stage, so then when i tap diagonally down it instantly edgehogs and you don't fast fall at all. you can also do this while standing on the edge. perhaps i should make another video showing you the difference between walking, running and roll dodging to speed hug?

otter

Smash Ace
So does that mean there is a moment where you lose invinsibiltiy between the roll and the hug? Because that would make it sort of useless.

Doval

Smash Lord
So does that mean there is a moment where you lose invinsibiltiy between the roll and the hug?
Duh. Unless you know of a way to literally roll off the edge.

This is just a different Analog Stick input to do the exact same thing as hugging. Rolling isn't even that efficient; it's faster to run and simply "brake" by shielding at the end.

Fredd

Smash Apprentice
Would someone please give me a step-by-step instruction on how to do this?
I.
II.
III.
etc.

iamthelifeonmars

Smash Cadet
does this have the same effect as just doing a qcb (or "hadoken" or whatever you wanna call it. the other instant edgeguard)? thats what i do and i never have any trouble with it at all really, it doesn't seem that unsafe

Affinity

Smash Hero
NNID
Affinity2412
you can walk/run to the edge to the point where your character is in its "im about to fall" animation or whatever its called. then just tap diagonally down on your control pad (not the control stick)
wait... like your "do a taunt" control pad?? ive been trying that and it doesnt work at all.

it might help if you explain this step-by-step

lain

Smash Master
for the last time. this is not a fast way to hug. this is a very dumb way to hug.

running off and fastfalling does not encompass jumping off the stage in any way to grab the edge. what you're doing is rolling to the edge and turning around to fall off and grab the ledge. for a second you can see diddy kong turn around and then fall.

Top Bottom