• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Best way to practice parrying with Yoshi

Skrlx

Smash Champion
I was bored playing smash 64 on console and started parrying red shells. I think it's a really good way to practice parrying with red shells. It may not be practical because you can't compare the predictable red shells with a good opponent but it helps getting parrying down. Putting those parrying skills on real matches would be the real practice. I also parried bob-ombs by throwing them in the air and then waiting until it falls down.

List of things to parry:
red shells
bob-ombs
green shells
hammer (spawn hammer and let the CPU get it and parry the first hit and try to parry all the hits)
ray gun shots

zack152

Smash Journeyman
Ive been trying to find a way to practice this tactic with yoshi in melee, and I could NOT find one, I never though of using a red shell though =0

blaze3927

Smash Ace
my yoshi is fail but in game ill generally spam parry in friendlies just to look so cool when i get one xD

Skrlx

Smash Champion
It may not be practical because you can't compare the predictable red shells with a good opponent but it helps getting parrying down. Putting those parrying skills on real matches would be the real practice.
The best way to practice parrying is doing it in an actual match. It's easier than it sounds.
yeah, what I said

KoRoBeNiKi

Smash Hero
Writing Team
Slippi.gg
KORO#668
When I used to practice parrying, I would usually vs a level 1 computer (usually fox)

Every time you hit a fox user to the ground, like with an fair, they always stand up with the kicks, I would parry those.

Skrlx

Smash Champion
When I used to practice parrying, I would usually vs a level 1 computer (usually fox)

Every time you hit a fox user to the ground, like with an fair, they always stand up with the kicks, I would parry those.
red shells > lvl 1 fox

XD

hamburglar

Smash Journeyman
I use red shells on dreamland to practice ledge DI. Throw the shell, jump off, try and smash DI into the ledge. Works well for reverse ledge DI practice

The Star King

Smash Hero

I tried it out and the AI for Fox does not do a get up attack every time (in both Japanese and American versions). Also, if he lands on his back, the get-up attack hits in front of him first, then behind, and vice-versa if he lands on his face. The AI also waits different amount of time before starting the get-up attack. I would rather practice on something that is really easy and mindless to practice on... parrying in-game is not quite as mindless, but the REAL practice, after you get the muscle memory down, should be in real matches anyway.

Skrlx

Smash Champion
I would rather practice on something that is really easy and mindless to practice on... parrying in-game is not quite as mindless, but the REAL practice, after you get the muscle memory down, should be in real matches anyway.
Exactly. Use red shells to get parrying down and then practice those skills on real matches because that's where it counts.

SheerMadness

Smash Master
Parrying in real matches is the only way I've ever practiced. There are some really easy moves to parry in matches like Link's dair, Samus' charge shot, Fox's fair etc. I'd start with those.

TANK64

Smash Lord
I tried it out and the AI for Fox does not do a get up attack every time (in both Japanese and American versions).
In training-mode every char does get-up-attack every time. I parry those just because I see them coming, but I really should try the red shell thing...and real matches I suppose.

bump

DMoogle

A$
In training-mode every char does get-up-attack every time. I parry those just because I see them coming, but I really should try the red shell thing...and real matches I suppose.

bump
Hmmmm, I don't remember that being the case. I think it's the majority of the time, but not every time.

killa k

Smash Ace
I never thought of the red shell thing, I should try that. I normally practice against CPU's and in real matches.

TANK64

Smash Lord
Hmmmm, I don't remember that being the case. I think it's the majority of the time, but not every time.
Every single time. I've been waiting for years for a different result, but it's every time. I know it sounds weird. From any hit or throw, if they fall down they will do get-up-attack. (This is when they are on "stand" btw, don't know if that would change anything)

DMoogle

A$
Every single time. I've been waiting for years for a different result, but it's every time. I know it sounds weird. From any hit or throw, if they fall down they will do get-up-attack. (This is when they are on "stand" btw, don't know if that would change anything)
I just played around in training mode, and sometimes the CPU techs (on Stand). I'm not sure exactly what's causing it, but it's done it a few times after strong hits in a combo.

Top Bottom