Best theme in Smash Bros?

Applebutter61

Smash Journeyman
Hello, world. I have an interest in Smash, or course, but also an interest in music. I am curious as to what you think is the best theme in the Smash series. I have heard the theme for Super Smash Bros Ultimate, and I am sad to say that I didn't find it overly impressive. It is not bad, but, IMHO, not great.

So, which game has the best theme in your opinion, and why?

nirvanafan

Smash Journeyman
I have always really liked Brawls, Ultimate is probably now my 2nd favorite followed by Melee then Smash 4.

Applebutter61

Smash Journeyman
Mine is easily Brawl's theme. Also, Brawl final destination, which is basically a different arrangement of the game's theme, is some great music. Melee is probably my second favorite theme.

Nohbl

Smash Journeyman
So, which game has the best theme in your opinion, and why?
Super Smash Bros. Brawl and Melee themes are both equally good, but good for different reasons.

Brawl is the only one with lyrics. And if you listen to those lyrics, they make a lot of sense in the context of its storyline.
Where Brawl's falls short is that it only fits the fleshed out story Brawl creates, of a drama with actual villains who must
be opposed, else the fate of the universe is damned; it is overly dramatic in tone for everywhere else
the series has gone, wherein trying to be just a casual tournament of all the characters, like the very first scene of
Subspace Emissary establishes.
Where Brawl especially shines, aside from its narrative merit, is its adaptability for all kinds of different themes,
without sounding tired, which it somewhat shares with Melee, except Melee seems more exclusively trained on battle-themes.

Melee's theme, on the other hand, works better as a catch-all theme for the series as a whole. It has just the right blend
of epic fight and epic fun. It isn't repetitive, nor does it stay at full blast, having its moments of a softer sound.
Try watching tr4sh's intro with Melee's audio and see how much it affects you, and how appropriate it still is.

I started with Brawl, not Melee, so there isn't that nostalgia bias here.
I just think for Super Smash Bros. as a whole, SSBM provides a more appropriate, yet just as fulfilling theme.

TheZoologist

Smash Apprentice
Ultimate's Theme is my new favorite piece of Smash music. I'm also really digging the new remixes they have on the site like Brinstar Depths and Vega's Theme from Street Fighter. Melee's my second favorite main theme, followed by Brawl, then 64, and then Wii U/3DS (was kinda underwhelmed by it after a while).

Applebutter61

Smash Journeyman
Super Smash Bros. Brawl and Melee themes are both equally good, but good for different reasons.

Brawl is the only one with lyrics. And if you listen to those lyrics, they make a lot of sense in the context of its storyline.
Where Brawl's falls short is that it only fits the fleshed out story Brawl creates, of a drama with actual villains who must
be opposed, else the fate of the universe is damned; it is overly dramatic in tone for everywhere else
the series has gone, wherein trying to be just a casual tournament of all the characters, like the very first scene of
Subspace Emissary establishes.
Where Brawl especially shines, aside from its narrative merit, is its adaptability for all kinds of different themes,
without sounding tired, which it somewhat shares with Melee, except Melee seems more exclusively trained on battle-themes.

Melee's theme, on the other hand, works better as a catch-all theme for the series as a whole. It has just the right blend
of epic fight and epic fun. It isn't repetitive, nor does it stay at full blast, having its moments of a softer sound.
Try watching tr4sh's intro with Melee's audio and see how much it affects you, and how appropriate it still is.

I started with Brawl, not Melee, so there isn't that nostalgia bias here.
I just think for Super Smash Bros. as a whole, SSBM provides a more appropriate, yet just as fulfilling theme.
Wow, man. Good stuff.

As far as the Brawl lyrics go, they don't really focus on a villain. I would say that, rather, it does focus on the... glory of the fight. Take these last lines, for example:

"Now that person stands at my side
Now my friends are with me
Some of them were once heroes
Some, my mortal enemies

And as we face each other in battle, locked in combat
We shine ever brighter"

I am by no means a poet, but these words are heart-touching, especially as a theme song for Smash. How ironic that Brawl is the least glorious of the series...

As for the Melee theme, this song is so well composed that it leaves you wanting to hear it again. I say that these are both amazing themes, and I'm afraid that no game afterwards has lived up to either.