• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Best theme in Smash Bros?

Applebutter61

Smash Journeyman
Hello, world. I have an interest in Smash, or course, but also an interest in music. I am curious as to what you think is the best theme in the Smash series. I have heard the theme for Super Smash Bros Ultimate, and I am sad to say that I didn't find it overly impressive. It is not bad, but, IMHO, not great.

So, which game has the best theme in your opinion, and why?

nirvanafan

Smash Champion
Premium
I have always really liked Brawls, Ultimate is probably now my 2nd favorite followed by Melee then Smash 4.

Applebutter61

Smash Journeyman
Mine is easily Brawl's theme. Also, Brawl final destination, which is basically a different arrangement of the game's theme, is some great music. Melee is probably my second favorite theme.

Nohbl

Smash Journeyman
So, which game has the best theme in your opinion, and why?
Super Smash Bros. Brawl and Melee themes are both equally good, but good for different reasons.

Brawl is the only one with lyrics. And if you listen to those lyrics, they make a lot of sense in the context of its storyline.
Where Brawl's falls short is that it only fits the fleshed out story Brawl creates, of a drama with actual villains who must
be opposed, else the fate of the universe is damned; it is overly dramatic in tone for everywhere else
the series has gone, wherein trying to be just a casual tournament of all the characters, like the very first scene of
Subspace Emissary establishes.
Where Brawl especially shines, aside from its narrative merit, is its adaptability for all kinds of different themes,
without sounding tired, which it somewhat shares with Melee, except Melee seems more exclusively trained on battle-themes.

Melee's theme, on the other hand, works better as a catch-all theme for the series as a whole. It has just the right blend
of epic fight and epic fun. It isn't repetitive, nor does it stay at full blast, having its moments of a softer sound.
Try watching tr4sh's intro with Melee's audio and see how much it affects you, and how appropriate it still is.

I started with Brawl, not Melee, so there isn't that nostalgia bias here.
I just think for Super Smash Bros. as a whole, SSBM provides a more appropriate, yet just as fulfilling theme.

TheZoologist

Smash Ace
Ultimate's Theme is my new favorite piece of Smash music. I'm also really digging the new remixes they have on the site like Brinstar Depths and Vega's Theme from Street Fighter. Melee's my second favorite main theme, followed by Brawl, then 64, and then Wii U/3DS (was kinda underwhelmed by it after a while).

Applebutter61

Smash Journeyman
Super Smash Bros. Brawl and Melee themes are both equally good, but good for different reasons.

Brawl is the only one with lyrics. And if you listen to those lyrics, they make a lot of sense in the context of its storyline.
Where Brawl's falls short is that it only fits the fleshed out story Brawl creates, of a drama with actual villains who must
be opposed, else the fate of the universe is damned; it is overly dramatic in tone for everywhere else
the series has gone, wherein trying to be just a casual tournament of all the characters, like the very first scene of
Subspace Emissary establishes.
Where Brawl especially shines, aside from its narrative merit, is its adaptability for all kinds of different themes,
without sounding tired, which it somewhat shares with Melee, except Melee seems more exclusively trained on battle-themes.

Melee's theme, on the other hand, works better as a catch-all theme for the series as a whole. It has just the right blend
of epic fight and epic fun. It isn't repetitive, nor does it stay at full blast, having its moments of a softer sound.
Try watching tr4sh's intro with Melee's audio and see how much it affects you, and how appropriate it still is.

I started with Brawl, not Melee, so there isn't that nostalgia bias here.
I just think for Super Smash Bros. as a whole, SSBM provides a more appropriate, yet just as fulfilling theme.
Wow, man. Good stuff.

As far as the Brawl lyrics go, they don't really focus on a villain. I would say that, rather, it does focus on the... glory of the fight. Take these last lines, for example:

"Now that person stands at my side
Now my friends are with me
Some of them were once heroes
Some, my mortal enemies

And as we face each other in battle, locked in combat
We shine ever brighter"

I am by no means a poet, but these words are heart-touching, especially as a theme song for Smash. How ironic that Brawl is the least glorious of the series...

As for the Melee theme, this song is so well composed that it leaves you wanting to hear it again. I say that these are both amazing themes, and I'm afraid that no game afterwards has lived up to either.

D

Deleted member

Brawl hands down, has the best main theme song in the whole series. Project M is second and Ultimate is third best.

Vanguard227

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Vanguard227
Switch FC
SW 4222 8780 9424
I honestly really like them all, but I'll rank them from favourite to least favourite. Also, I consider the main theme to be the theme that plays once you boot up the game; before you get to the main menu.

1. Melee. Perhaps it's because of the amazing intro that's tied with it, or my own nostalgia for the game itself (probably that), but nothing gets my hype levels up quite like this song. An energetic and mature clash of orchestrated goodness.

2. Ultimate. I don't know why, but there's something about this theme that I really love. Even though it's pretty repetitive, what IS there is quality enough that I don't find it tedious in the slightest. That alone gives enough credence towards it being my no. 2.

3. Brawl. This theme tops a lot of people's lists, and for good reason. That epic opera singing. But for me, that's about all it has going for it, as I find the song's melody to be simply adequate.

4. Smash 64. Bombastic and exploding with chaotic rhythm. Great theme by itself, but I find the other ones more fun to listen, mainly due to the N64's limited sound quality. I do, however, love the Smash 4 remix of 64's credits theme. (which has a large chunk of the main theme in it.)

5. Smash 4. Don't get me wrong, I still like this theme, but I feel like there's something missing here. It's hard to explain, but I feel like there's not enough "weight" behind the melody to really get my blood pumping. I prefer the Battlefield version of this song.

Last edited:

ShadicMCGS

Smash Apprentice
I actually like most of them, but this time, I'll rank the songs based on their FINAL version, so while I like Ultimate's E3 version more, the final version wouldn't be No. 1. Anyway, let's-a-go!

5. Smash 64 - It is the first in the series, but I just feel like it doesn't set the bar high for FUTURE games. But it sets the tone of the game, I'll give it that!

4. Ultimate - Yes, I know the game hasn't been released yet, but for me, I'll stick to the E3 version. A plus however, is that this is the first Smash theme to have FULL vocals, and Brawl's just choir vocals. I still respect both of the, but E3's was better.

3. Melee - PITCHFORKS AND TORCHES DOWN, MELEE FANS!! I never played Melee, since I was born like a year or two after the launch, and my first console was a Wii, so I didn't have Melee. This would be higher if I actually played Melee, but it's good for what it is.

2. Brawl - This game had an epic theme, a great Adventure Mode, and it was the first Smash game I played! Nostalgia aside, this is a great theme, but the next one blew Ultimate out of the water!

1. Smash 4 - Yep. This is the only Smash game that I currently own (Brawl was owned by one of my cousins) and this theme doesn't deny it's impact. However, I do agree with Vanguard that Battlefield's version is better, but I still consider this to be my Number 1.

MercuryPenny

Smash Journeyman
NNID
MemorialDime
hey guys welcome to watchmojo with the top 6 smash bros themes

1) smash 64: definitely my favorite for the funky and frantic parts - the others are no slouch either, and the end sends chills up my spine. i didn't grow up with 64 but man if its main theme isn't something else.
2) ultimate (e3): basically smash 4 with a better melody
3) smash 4: it's a perfectly serviceable composition, and its instrumentation is pretty good, but imo the melody is pretty meh
4) brawl: i'm more a fan of the various in-game mixes than the main theme itself (menu and fd especially)
5) melee: brawl did what this tune was going for better tbchwyf
6) ultimate (lifelight): "distant sparks call to a past still unnamed" lmao who wrote this

Last edited:

Applebutter61

Smash Journeyman
hey guys welcome to watchmojo with the top 6 smash bros themes

1) smash 64: definitely my favorite for the funky and frantic parts - the others are no slouch either, and the end sends chills up my spine. i didn't grow up with 64 but man if its main theme isn't something else.
2) ultimate (e3): basically smash 4 with a better melody
3) smash 4: it's a perfectly serviceable composition, and its instrumentation is pretty good, but imo the melody is pretty meh
4) brawl: i'm more a fan of the various in-game mixes than the main theme itself (menu and fd especially)
5) melee: brawl did what this tune was going for better tbchwyf
6) ultimate (lifelight): "distant sparks call to a past still unnamed" lmao who wrote this
Lol, but watchmojo always does top 10's.

Top Bottom