• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Best swordsman

Link Lord

Smash Journeyman
In a place where people are tortured endlessly and
ok brawl has six swordsman
ike
pit
meta knight
marth
link
toon link*
so who do you think, on current information, is the best swordsman and why?
not ot root for anyone, but.................... *cough*ike*cough*
*fixed

I think Link since he has projectiles and is more powerful than toon link
And I'd describe Pit as an archer, since it's two daggers, and I'm pretty sure archers usually carry daggers

Snake King 1

Smash Apprentice
Checking every character for weaknesses, for &quot
*fixed

I think Link since he has projectiles and is more powerful than toon link
And I'd describe Pit as an archer, since it's two daggers, and I'm pretty sure archers usually carry daggers
you do have a point i already knew link was stronger than toon link, and pit could be described as an archer, but i would go with ike because he's a strong character and marth would get owned *jumps to bomb shelter, grabs a speaker phone*, and i never really liked link, his projectiles are kinda annoying, but i would hate for him to leave ssb

Slater88

Smash Cadet
Toon Link. His moves have fairly long range and he has a good amount of speed. And his bombs explode with the cartoon smoke.

WhiteOblv

Smash Ace
Actually its probably going to be marth, ike, meta knight and pit. Link

Heres why.

Marth- Is even more broken then he was in melee. Abit less range and knock back on tip but he still ***** the entire cast. Very easy to combo with. The majority of his melee combos work in brawl and yes fthrow to fsmash still works.

Ike- Is THE STRONGEST character in the game. He is kinda slow, but its very easy to work around, he has some extremely quick atks also. Ike is more about spacing then marth is in some aspects because since he his slow you have to becareful. If you fsmash make sure u can hit them cuz if not (ouch).

Meta knight and pit- I put 2gether b-cuz they both fall in the same category. "They do alot of damage extremely fast, but cant kill for the life of them." Both have shorter range then the rest of the swordsman.

Link- didnt really play with him much but if i have to put him somewhere hed be either right below ike or right between ike and marth.

Rakath

Smash Ace
Way I see it, in order:

Marth - Marth gets top rank because off the cuff his playstyle is easy for a returning Marth user from Melee. And while he lost some tricks he gained some new ones to MORE than make up for it.

Ike - Ike is the Powerhouse Swordsman. Stronger than all others but in turn slower, he doesn't need to soak you for too much damage. He's stolen Marth's edgeguard game and made it into a warcrime. He's got enough fast moves to be Ganon, but more range than Ganon ever dreamed. He's pretty good looking.

Meta Knight - Take everything I said about Ike and Bizarro world it. He's got pretty much nothing in the way of KO machine... HE DOES HAVE SPEED, RECOVERY, AND SPEED. He's basically Marth without a tipper. Which means he's less useful than Marth. So long as you can make use of your 5 jumps and occasional glide, you're golden.

Link - Gale Boomerang is an interesting toy, and Arrows being faster is nice, but he isn't fast enough to be fast or strong enough to be strong. Having ranged move doesn't help much either for him.

Pit - Repeat everything I said about Meta Knight and give him an arrow. However he isn't as good at it as Meta Knight... by any means.

Toon Link - Again, take everything I said about Meta Knight, but add ranged combat and remove all his jumps. However his standing could change (as I've seen the least of him in game footage).

Lunar6

Smash Journeyman
Actually Rakath, Link's strength and smash attacks are kind of clearly above average since at least Melee, and it hasn't shown to have been lessened in Brawl (and he IS faster now too. Not drastically, but noticeably), most of which said to have had more knockback to them now.

I know I'll get the flak for this here, but there are at least five youtube videos of Ike losing because of how grossly slow even his tilts are, I'm rather hesitant to consider him best swordsman or anything along the lines of great. Characters like Link who find their versatility in projectiles basically seems like Ike's bane (even though I've seen some good range with his A-attacks as a generalization).

Of all the sword-wielding characters, I'm inclined to say Marth or Meta Knight. Marth seems to not have changed at all since Melee (which is a good thing more or less, even though I never really mained him), and his Final Smash seems outstanding. Meta Knight's attacks are considered non-ideal for knocking the opponent out of the ring, but every single one of his attacks just seem fast enough to compensate for that, and this applies to his B-moves as well (especially his side-b).

WhiteOblv

Smash Ace
Lunar Ike is good. Hes the only character i used all day and actually the only 1 i like. He takes more spacing, mindgames, and skill to use then the others but he is def. up ther. I believe ike can kill meta and pit quite easily, link wud be harder because he has projectiles yes. So i think it would be Marth, Link and Ike, then everyone else.

Using ike against a marth is extremely hard, along with peach. Ike shouldnt have trouble against most of the roster though, if you play him correctly.

Rakath

Smash Ace
I do realize Ike is slow, and his tilts are slow, and his dair is slow, and his Nair is slow, and his Smashes are SLOW.

His A combo is freakishly strong and spamable. His Fair and Bair are fast enough and spamable. His Special Attacks are a good mix of speed and power. His throws are... useful, not as obscene as Marth's range, but useful. If he can U-Throw into a U-tilt that will be the most obscene combo (and Ike's only combo). Ike would be garbage tier in Melee's meta... but thankfully this isn't Melee. The thing at question is can Ike kill a projectile user before he's soaked enough damage to die. And it's been proven he can.

Ike at E4A would fail horrible at this feat, but thankfully Ike was repaired. I doubt Ike will be Top tier, but he's got a pretty easy shot at high tier. Just because at around the same percents another character would need to charge a smash to kill, Ike can just A combo them off a ledge and then guard them to death.

WhiteOblv

Smash Ace
Exactly lol, Dont get me wrong i rarely ever used any smash other then up and forward. His titls are slow yes, smashes yes, his aerials are kinda fastish/slow. The jab may in fact be his main killing option. His fsmash is like omg slow BUT when u hit with it GOD ^$)(#&^#&($^)($@ ****.

If you wanna use fsmash by all means go ahead but say "HEADS UP" out loud as a mindgame before you use it so it actually hits them LOL.

Purgatory

Smash Rookie
Ike or Marth, i dont know, i lie FE and Marth owns th his amazing Speed and Ike ows with his Amazing Pwer and Superarmor.

Link is ok and so is Toon Link. Meta knight cant KO well and Pit has Ok but not fearsom KO powers and relatively medium speed

fire_wulf

Smash Journeyman
Ike and Marth...

Ike has the power and Marth has the juggles and speed.

But i also see some potential in Pit.

Never have been a fan of the Links.. sorry

MK i do not like at all.. i used to say i will main him... but i think he is too much of a noob character.. sorry... i just do not like him anymore...

Rakath

Smash Ace
am i really in the dark? is ike really slow? how fast is he compared to other characters like bowser, because if he's slower than bowser and has less endurance, then why main him, someone please explain his speed and power to me(ike's)
Without DIing, Mario's F-Smash will kill Ike at around 107%
Without DIing, Mario will die to Ike's F-Smash at 48%, his D-Tilt at 86%, and his F-Tilt at 93%

Ike is a bit sturdier than middleweight, with power that dwarfs everyone else. His speed is on par with Ganondorf from Melee (mostly). However his Specials are faster and he has a real A-combo (as opposed to Ganondorf's 8% single jab).

reothepenguin

Smash Journeyman
Never underestimate ike and his ....................ikeness. He's slow but not THAT slow. And he definitely has power.
Ike-all the way.

Ogre_Deity_Link

Smash Lord
Link. He's got versatility and can play both a long range and shortrange game, and can combine the two to really throw almost anyone off track.

Then Marth. Tipper FT-FREAKING-WIN.

JoJoRukus

Smash Apprentice
Most Stylish: Meta Knight
Raw Power: Ike
All Around (In respect to sword skills alone): Marth
Coolest Sword: Pit
Oldest Sword Wielder: Link
Most ridiculous "Ability to wield large sword with one hand with respect to ratio of sword and body size": Young Link

Discuss!

Miller

Smash Lord
TBH I believe its Ike (Im not being bias here)

I believe its Ike because of the Super Armor. Sure we barely know anything about it yet, but in 6 months time everything will be known and we Ike users will beable to crush anything that stands in out way.

Parassita

Smash Apprentice
It's Toon Link. Not Young Link, TOON LINK. Toon Link is the best swordsman around, or at least second best. He has speed, power, and Link's FS. That is just pure awesomeness as it is.

courte

Smash Lord
his once terrible upb [eforall] is looking so good now with actual horizontal movement... even if sometimes it has it's blech moments

Lgndknight

Smash Ace
I'll go in order too.

Marth - Obviously, Without being nerfed Marth maintains god tierness without breaking a sweat. FS is basically insta-kill.

Ike- I think he was made better from the demo, and he still is a contender in 1v1 matches. He can pull out the kill from ridiculous percentages, especially with his fsmash, final smash doesnt kill very well at low %.

Meta- Fast, with ungodly edgeguarding, and even more ungodly recovery. Mk only has to punish most people to 40 - 60% until his FS can rocket them away. Priority Deity with all his moves.

Link- The slowest, behind Ike, with the most projectiles, and some good combos, link gets solid 4th. He's also the only swordsman, other than himself, who has a tether recovery. FS, provided you can hit them with is , is basically an instant kill.

Pit- Pretty quick, with almost as good recovery as Meta (almost) With the option to projectile spam or get in close and give some pain. Fs is good if they hit you off, and combo you until you die,

Toon Link (subject to change in translations) - Basically a faster, weaker, cooler Link. FS is the same, but more cartoony, not sure if it's weaker than man Link's though. fun character.

The Mediator

Smash Journeyman
It's Toon Link. Not Young Link, TOON LINK. Toon Link is the best swordsman around, or at least second best. He has speed, power, and Link's FS. That is just pure awesomeness as it is.
Oooo, come on! One thing that's for certain, Toon Link's sword is most definitely shorter than normal Link's. Also, does Toon Link's sword make a sound like a train hitting walls? No. Ike's, on the other hand, does. Also, with the buffing of Ike's B^ to make him go more horizontally (although, I admit, not by much) and the discovery that his B> is an amazing recovery, it is found that Ike is a lot more difficult to kill than previously thought. Also, Ike's Final Smash is AMAZING. He throws people into the air, and cuts them into little tiny pieces! While you may say that this is similar to the Links', notice that their Final Smashes do not SOUND as awesome as Ike's, or LOOK as awesome. And, to top it all off, Ike's Final Smash ends with an ATOMIC EXPLOSION. This is an extremely powerful attack! And yes, it is true that it is not an instant kill at low percentages, but first of all, in the middle of a good fight, most people won't be at 0-20%. Secondly, if they are, then the atomic explosion sets them up for an easy kill, as they've been sent flying, low percentage or no.

Top Bottom