• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Best Stages for Ness?

CoolPalMitch

Smash Cadet
NNID
mitchgamelover
Since Ness' recovery isn't exactly the most dependable, any stage that has temporary walk-offs (Delfino, Wuhu, etc.) is a pretty valid counterpick option. Also since Ness' Uair is one of his best kill moves, stages with high ceilings like Duck Hunt should be avoided.

ATH_

Smash Ace
3DS FC
0963-0267-2548
Switch FC
6592-1642-9705
Smashville, the platform is a life saver sometimes.

Lylat is odd for recovering but incredible for combos.

Earthbound360

Smash Hero
NNID
Mikman360
Always been a fan of FD stages. Platforms just get in the way of my aerial combos. If the place you play at allows it, omega stages with rectangular shapes (Onett, Duck Hunt, Wily's) are great for PKT2 recoveries, and prevent stupid things like getting shoved under the stage from happening.

Avoid Lylat like the plague. Sloped terrain makes PKF vanish, tilting stage makes recovery overly difficult, and the thin platform spells death if you somehow fall under it, and you can't use any sort of bounce recovery here. I feel like the platforms here are also placed at the perfect height to screw with your dthrow to fair combos.

ilysm

sleepy
I'd say Smashville and Omega Onett, Onett for the thunderbounce combined with home-turf advantage and Smashville because Smashville is the most neutral stage in the game and it rocks. Also the platform helps with recovery. I personally love Kongo 64 (barrels help recovery are more fun than...uh...yeah...plus I always love dipping under and rising through the stage) but I know it's pretty iffy in some tourneys legality wise. I'm all for it being a Counter-Pick though.

Lylat has always been a headache for Ness. I haven't played it much yet but I guess nothing's really changed.

Last edited:
NNID
Shado_Chimera
3DS FC
2019-9854-8378
I'd say Ness's best omega stage is Mario Galaxy. It doesn't have wall jumps but still has the wall for us to use, plus the grass will be useful against those with good sliding up smashes.

Last edited:

Earthbound360

Smash Hero
NNID
Mikman360
I'd say Ness's best omega stage is Mario Galaxy. It doesn't have wall jumps but still has the wall for us to use, plus the grass will be useful against those with good sliding up smashes.
There are also some other deceptive stages that have walls but no wall jumps. Omega Kalos and Pac Land are examples, so you can pick these to screw over your opponent Marios and Little Macs if you want.

Tikao

Smash Ace
i personally love Halberd in this game when playing ness

for the flying part of the stage : upper blastzone realy close, making uair kills easier for us, we can go through the lower platform, and i feel like the generell layout favors our juggling/air game (unlike bf's or lylat's platforms)

for the 2. part, the upper blastzone is more "normal", but i feel like this part is good for our recovery ( this uniquely shaped wall, using 2. up-b) + the rest of the stage's layout is similiar to the flying part of the stage

Last edited:

yoshi8984

Smash Lord
NNID
TimmyTendo
Switch FC
SW-6176-0583-0131
Er, can someone explain how the terrain works? Never knew about this. o.o
(I don't own a Wii U yet so I wouldn't know)

I thought only Icy Terrain (i.e. Pokemon Stadium 2) matter compared to the rest. =P

Noa.

Smash Master
I think stage picks are heavily influenced by both player preference and character matchup. I'll list how I feel about certain stages.

I liked halberd when the wii u version first came out, but since then I'm not particularly fond of it. Ness only has one vertical kill move and that's uair. Uair is a fantastic move and all but I only get about 30% of my kills with it. That's a decent amount but most of my kills are with bthrow, and Bair, Nair, and pkt2 all kill horizontally. I would rank halberd as probably third or fourth in my preferred stages to counterpick. I would only pick it if the character I'm playing against has no vertical KO moves. I ban halberd against diddy, Ross, and zss. Their vertical kill moves are used more often for kos than our uair.

A lot of the same things apply to Town and city as halberd. If I'm given two bans against a vertical Ko character I will use one on town and city.

I really like battlefield in matchups where the character has great options to escape pk Thunder. Examples of this would be bowser down b, yoshi down b, sheik/zss dair etc. This way they land on the platform instead and I can still punish them.

I have had a higher opinion on smashville since I saw shaky use the moving platform to dthrow fair people directly to the blast zone. The potential to get a ko of a small read at a low percent is enticing. Town and city, and any stage with temporary walk offs has this potential.

Delfino and castle siege are great because temporary walk offs remove our biggest weakness, which is our recovery. Walk offs also allow us to kill very early with both fthrow and bthrow. Also the castle siege statutes allow us to make pk Fire walls that make approaching ness difficult, and refresh the rest of our moves.

Dk64 is a stage that benefits whoever is juggling tremendously. Pk Thunder is incredibly here. It's very hard to land on this stage because of the abundance of platforms. The barrel also helps us with our poor recovery.

The blast zones on the side are quite close on duck hunt, so bthrow can kill very early when near the edge of the stage. Awestin, the Ness player in Texas, really enjoys this stage. The ducks can interfere with pk Thunder sometimes though. And the ceiling is a bit higher than usual. In matchups against characters that get out of pk Thunder juggles easily, as well as characters that rely heavily on vertical kos, I would recommend this stage.

lylat cruise is not mega awful for us or anything. I would probably not counter pick it ever but there are better stages to ban usually. You should practice this stage in friendles because recovering on it can be somewhat difficult at times. Apart from that the stage is fine. Ban it If you're not sure what to ban, but meh.

Yeah banning and picking stages are heavily based on what stages you feel comfortable on, as well as what opponent your character plays, as well as what your opponent as a player likes. If you know that your opponent hates lylat cruise, you don't have to ban it for example. Or if they always cp Delfino plaza, ban it because it's probably a comfort pick.

Pazx

hoo hah
NNID
Pazx13
i personally love Halberd in this game when playing ness

for the flying part of the stage : upper blastzone realy close, making uair kills easier for us, we can go through the lower platform, and i feel like the generell layout favors our juggling/air game (unlike bf's or lylat's platforms)

for the 2. part, the upper blastzone is more "normal", but i feel like this part is good for our recovery ( this uniquely shaped wall, using 2. up-b) + the rest of the stage's layout is similiar to the flying part of the stage
Other way around, actually. The ceiling is even lower on the second part of the stage. http://smashboards.com/threads/ceiling-height-research-thread.384187/

I stand by the fact that Castle Siege is our best stage due to reasons outlined in the previous post.

Mysteltainn

Smash Ace
I like stages that are neutral like Smashville, and stages that allow you to double PKT easily if needed, but I also agree with everyone on Halberd due to U-Air being even better there.

My least favourite is probably Green Hill Zone. It just seems so wonky and awkward to me.

Earthboundy

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Earthboundy
3DS FC
0173-1290-2436
Stay away from Duck Hunt. High Ceilings make upair kills almost impossible and the ducks can screw up your up b.
I usually go to Smashville or Kongo Jungle.

Top Bottom