• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Best PT Player?

Onxy

Smash Lord
Ugh..... According to you, Squirtle loses to everything...

Do I sense pogey neglection? Did your Squirtle lose at a big tourney or something?

Elliot Gale

Smash Ace
Not at all. And Squirtle doesn't lose to everything, he just loses to most important things and doesn't actually dominate many characters.

Be thankful that he's roughly even with top tier. It's the heavy things that Squirtle has the hardest time with, and that's to be expected.

Onxy

Smash Lord
If you don't mind, what does Squirtle do well against? *Awaits for a tiny tiny tiny tiny list*

That's of course, if you want to make the list. (lol)

Elliot Gale

Smash Ace
Squirtle is 50-50ish against:

Kirby, Fox, Pikachu, Game&Watch, Diddy Kong, Zelda, Sheik, Pit, Meta Knight, Ike, Ganondorf, Ice Climbers, Ness, Lucas, Sonic, Wario, Toon Link, Jigglypuff

Counters:

Captain Falcon, Wolf, Falco

Something like that anyway.

Onxy

Smash Lord
Being just 50/50, that's not bad at all. Much better than I thought.

Off topic: I read that you think Diddy is garbage without the nanners? (I never played Diddy before).

Fawriel

Smash Master
I think you guys aren't giving Superhacker75mil enough credit. From what I can tell, he's perfectly right - Squirtle is a little ball of potential. He has the speed where it counts, he has something akin to a wavedash, and he has a bunch of combos. Sure, he's fragile as heck, but that's where "don't get hit" comes into play.
It's not really the same thing as all when someone claims that Sonic is good and "you're just playing him wrong". Sonic only excels in running speed. Running speed is irrelevant, unless you plan to spend the entire match running around using dash attacks. Squirtle has aerial speed and minimal landing lag to make up for his low range, just like Wario, who is amazing. He doesn't exactly have the weight or power Wario has, but Wario doesn't have speed on the ground, whereas Squirtle has shellshifting.

To put it this way: Comparing Squirtle to Pichu really isn't far off. But that's if you consider Pichu to have all the capabilities he had in Melee, including ATs. Squirtle has the ability to blow the shallow boundaries of Brawl's physics, and that is amazing.

Also: posting 2 subscribe lol k

Bomber7

Smash Hero
*Darth Vader voice* Guyz, I am the best trainer. Join me and together we can rule the Brawl world as Pokemon Trainers. Snake and Metaknight have forseen it.

*normal voice* so what do you say guys?

PltnmNgl

Smash Journeyman
Honestly, I'd compare Squirtle to a mixture of Melee Jigglypuff and Fox. Jiggs strategy-wise. Fox weakness-wise. We forget that Melee fox was one of the lightest characters, a fast-faller, and had the longest stun frames. Technically, Fox has some of the most blaring weaknesses in the game. However, if you know the game and was good enough not to get hit, he was broken. I think the same can be applied here.

Trip.

Smash Apprentice
I would just like to ask this: What does ANY character in brawl have that is equal to hydroplaning? (coughs* ok yes snake dashing but that is just his up smash).

Hydroplaning has MASSIVE potential.
Yoshi's DR is pretty awesome too.

My point is, Squirtle has a very unique and versitile AT all his own.

Steeler

Smash Hero
NNID
Steeler
i'd say the dude that got pt a top 4 tourney showing has a pretty good claim on 'best pt'

infernovia

Smash Ace
Honestly, I'd compare Squirtle to a mixture of Melee Jigglypuff and Fox. Jiggs strategy-wise. Fox weakness-wise. We forget that Melee fox was one of the lightest characters, a fast-faller, and had the longest stun frames. Technically, Fox has some of the most blaring weaknesses in the game. However, if you know the game and was good enough not to get hit, he was broken. I think the same can be applied here.
Not quite, fox also had incredible speed and his most awesome move (the shine) could be cancelled with a jump. One attack and you were going to the edge, and unless you could pull of something like "Pray" (simna's ness did it), you would be shinespiked. It was literally the fastest barrage of attack in the game and playing against fox was always like battling with a cliff at your back.

Squirtle has shellshifting, probably the best mindgaming tool in brawl, but that isn't saying much at all. The slowness of the game really hinders its ability.

Honestly, the jiggs comparison fits the squirtle the best, just with ****ty specials.

zeta

Smash Journeyman
I vowed to never play another character in any match, including friendlies til i won a singles tournament with pt. I'm gonna be pt for a while...

I've been workin on getting vids up but i live two hours away from my smash community so it may take a while.

PltnmNgl

Smash Journeyman
Not quite, fox also had incredible speed and his most awesome move (the shine) could be cancelled with a jump. One attack and you were going to the edge, and unless you could pull of something like "Pray" (simna's ness did it), you would be shinespiked. It was literally the fastest barrage of attack in the game and playing against fox was always like battling with a cliff at your back.

Squirtle has shellshifting, probably the best mindgaming tool in brawl, but that isn't saying much at all. The slowness of the game really hinders its ability.

Honestly, the jiggs comparison fits the squirtle the best, just with ****ty specials.
And Jiggs didn't have bad specials in comparison also? Rest was fairly useless unless against space manimals. No one sang without looking crazy. Roll-out sucked. Pound had it's moments, I guess...Anyway, Squirtle is ridiculously quick just like fox on the ground. Granted, you don't stay on the ground as much, but you're still quick.

PltnmNgl

Smash Journeyman
Rest and Pound were situational. Very. Just like Squirt's specials.

So who were the guys that made top 4 and top 8 at tournaments in the Rankings thread?

Demenise

Smash Journeyman
I actually thought Rest and Pound were good in Melee. Sing and Rollout not so much. =(
Is that even a debated topic? Rest and Pound were arguably some of the better specials in the entire game. Pound broke shields, couldn't be shield grabbed when done right, had a disjointed hitbox, had tons of priority, sent people in the air, and lasted forever. Rest killed at 30%. 'Nuff said.

T-Link

Smash Apprentice
I'm pretty dam good myself, but not the best. I'm still far away from mastering PT though.

Tim_The_Enchanter

Smash Ace
I'm a good PT but i can't get to any tournaments :[

does anyone else live in south florida and know of any tournaments around here?

Fawriel

Smash Master
I managed to defeat Peach on level 8 yesterday with PT, so I guess I'm good to go.

Ahem.

TheReflexWonder

Wonderful!
BRoomer
NNID
TheReflexWonder
3DS FC
2492-4449-2771
I think I'm a pretty bad dude...not bad enough to rescue the president, though. I do have specific matchups that I need to learn.

Chalupa3266

Smash Apprentice
Just wanted to let everyone know that I am picking up Pokemon Trainer again. I have learned a lot of matchups in tournaments ive been to, but now I think I can start using pokemon trainer with my knowledge to the fullest.

Ill be posting updated videos soon =P

Top Bottom