• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Best PT player out there?

Yukiwarashi

Smash Champion
I AM.

No no, I'm kidding. Seriously guys, don't attack me. =/

I'm happy to see a Japanese player with Pokemon Trainer, and he was certainly very good...but he really needed to find more openings to use Pokemon Switch. And I really wanted to see Ivysaur in action. Is Ivysaur bad against King Dedede or something? He seems like one huge target for Bullet Seed abuse to me.

Retro Gaming

Black and White Thinking
I barely see him anywhere. Not really popular.

Anyway, this PT is extremely good, but the reason he lost was because he didn't use Ivysaur. Ivysaur ahs the ebst match-up here. Looks like they only focus on two Pokemon.

infernovia

Smash Ace
Bulletseed for insane damage as DDD is fairly heavy and big, Bair for superior range, not getting chaingrabbed across the freaking stage (charizard's weakness), decent projectile coverage.

IMO, Squirtle has a really nice matchup here, but I still think Ivysaur would do alright against D3.

WITH

Smash Apprentice
Its frustrating watching videos of good PTs and only seeing two characters played. Ivy is a great matchup against DDD if u dont count the chaingrabbing, but so many characters get chaingrabbed that thats not a reason to not play him. His bair can actually be spaced well enough to not get punished when pressuring, he has a longer grab range, and as said above, bullet seed FTW. Plus, he has a projectile that can actually cancel out and go through the waddledees that DDD will try to camp with.

Squirtle really isnt a good matchup even though he can't get chaingrabbed. His lack of range makes it nearly impossible to put pressure on a stationary shielding DDD without getting punished by a grab or ftilt. Good spacing options really arent there, he doesnt have enough DI to escape DDD's range. On top of that, he gets owned by DDD's uptilt and can't kill DDD untill a way higher %.

Charizard is ok, so I would use him, but he probably isnt a great matchup since he too struggles with range against DDD's ftilt & (i think) longer grab range.

Pichu Sensei

Smash Apprentice
The PT player in the vid was good, but definitely not amazing.

Extreme overuse of Fair and Bair on squirtles part, I liked the Charizard play, I could start using a few of those tricks.

I'm not sure that Ivy is a good match up against DDD. I'm sure that squirtle is better, as long as he keeps in contact with DDD the whole time. DDD can perform moves faster than ivy imo, but also ivy does have bullet seed, and with a well placed nair perfect seed is easy.

ArgentStew

Smash Lord
This guy was definitely very showy, but I wouldn't say he's the best PT player... Show me someone who can pwn with all three pokemon...and a winning vid would be nice too... 90% of the PT vids appear to be losing games... :/

Edit: Not that I do any better, but it would be nice to watch a good PT player win for once...

PltnmNgl

Smash Journeyman
Here's what I would tell him.

1) Learn 2 Ivysaur. Should've started with Ivy. Doesn't get chained. Plus it's a good matchup.
2) Dthrowed too much. It's Squirts and Zard's most reliable kill move.
3) Didn't rock smash enough.
4) Didn't shellshift enough. Mindgame him into pulling out his tilts so you can get an opening.

Basically, he probably would have done fine if he used Ivy. Also, I'd be interested in seeing the possible application of watergun when 3D is forced to upB.

SrL04

Smash Apprentice
Am I missing something? Or is this player the SAME as all the other PT players out there?

WITH

Smash Apprentice
was under aggressive off the edge with squirtle too. could have gotten in a few more fairs when he had DDD off.

prOAPC

Smash Lord
he didn't use shell shifting
today, i have my first match using that technique and it was awesome, my friend (Marth) didn't know what to do and where/when i was going to attack :p

Pichu Sensei

Smash Apprentice
Lol, k watched the whole vid this time.

This guy is ALL show. More than half the stuff he did was pointless. He didn't use any techs, and he did the same stuff over and over again. He didn't utilize all of the characters to their full. No wonder he lost, and DDD player wasn't that great either.

Kemious

Smash Apprentice
Im gonna have to agree with everyone. He was certainly pretty good but didnt utilize the characters to their potential. Lack of tilts and throws and complete disregard of any of the special moves seriously hurt him. He got extremely predictable with Pt only attacking aerially.

Lucrece

Smash Apprentice
Projectiled. Of all the videos I've seen with him, he's pretty darn impressive.

Onxy

Smash Lord
What do you mean the same as all other PT players? If you mean that he insta-poke-switches out Ivy - Like everyone else I see - then I agree.

Ratherion

Smash Journeyman
I'd have to say Ivy is the best though, and people really can't deny it.

Lowest KO range
One of the best projectiles in the game
Arguably the most damaging attack in the game (which is NOT that hard to hit with)
Nearly impossible to approach
Wonderful spacing
Excellent range on all attacks

The only flaw is her recovery, but when it comes down to it you can always tip the VineWhip and take them down with you.

Superhacker75mil

Smash Apprentice
I'm glad some other people noticed the player's lack of appreciation for the tilts. Especially on Squirtle...you cannot afford to completely over-abuse Squirtles aerials, his most valuable moves, given the inevitable fatigue (especially against a Dedede), and therefore you really need to vary up your approach with the tilts. He used the jab combo once or twice, but the last hit can be blocked by a quick player (same for Zard). I saw at least one or two u-tilts too, but Dedede is so huge that, like with Bullet Seed, in-close up-tilts at low percents can really help you with increased damage dealing, and with aerial setups (not so much a Bullet Seed trait, but still).

I think more importantly than anything though, which noone seems to have brought up just yet...what the hell was up with that Charizard f-air approach? F-air is NOT a safe approach for him, clearly, since the damage outside of that knockback area near the beginning and towards the top of the cone is worthless (not to mention the complete lack of stun). A better Dedede would've blown right through that with a b-air approach, or f-tilts, or anything really.

The guy obviously likes to play speedy and aggressive, which is good and well given that I've gotten a lot better at the game by understanding twitch-based approaches and pressuring, but he didn't have any understanding of the character's overall strategies, primarily evident in his skipping an entire Pokémon for no good reason (it doesn't matter which, frankly).

I'd wager the guy was one of those hardcore Melee players who's just now trying out PT competitively for the first time, and thinks that, like all the rest of those unaware of PT's strengths, Squirtle's aerial game overrides everything else about the team.

Top Bottom