• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Best Doubles Teams NOT including gimmicks (pocket, bucket)

Muskrat Catcher

Smash Journeyman
3DS FC
0748-4100-0093
Like the OP states, a team that can have one heavy hitter that provides stage control with a floaty for edgeguarding is in fact an extremely good team! I have some experience playing :4charizard: + :4pikachu: , and these two characters complement each other really well! It truly is the pokémon dream team! Charizard hits hard and reasonably quickly while still having a great dash speed and multiple jumps to maneuver around the stage well, and Pikachu can back up Charizard well with his residual hits and projectiles, throws into a powerful move from Zard, and finishing off foes with Pika's signature edgeguards whenever Zard hits them off stage. This team is amazing, but since basically no top level players even know how to play Charizard, I doubt we will see it any time soon at high level play.

Red Shirt KRT

Smash Ace
NNID
1-337-PWN-CALL
3DS FC
0044-2813-9398
Any thoughts on :4megaman:+:4yoshi:.

I was thinking mega could pellet up front with short hops and yoshi could shoot eggs over the top for uber camping. Not sure prolly wouldn't work. I'm thinking shield breaks would be good with crash bomber and yoshi a down B

Murlough

Euphoria
NNID
Murl0ugh
3DS FC
4828-8253-7746
My partner and I have made it to finals in doubles with these two teams.

:4mewtwo: and :4bowser:

:4littlemac: and :4jigglypuff:

These combos are confusing and hilarious. Mewtwo is a god at dishing out damage and Bowser is the king of taking stocks easily, while also sponging up damage Mewtwo doesn't want. If Bowser is in any trouble, Mewtwo has the speed to easily fix the situation.

Little Mac and Puff are mostly a joke duo. I have no clue how they worked. The team probably just took the others by surprise honestly.

Ravengeance

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Ravengeance
I'd currently say :4sheik::4cloud: is the best. Cloud's weakness of poor recovery is less in doubles and sheik's speed and needles even after the nerfs are enough to make it very difficult for your opponents to approach cloud allowing to him to constantly charge Limit Break. Sheik is also very difficult to punish in general and she isn't easily gimped. So the duo of sheik and cloud makes it very difficult to maintain center stage and also very difficult to approach so I believe this duo's strength in neutral makes them the best duo currently.

Last edited:

Scarlet Jile

Smash Lord
NNID
ScarletJile
Sheik + Ganon is the best team in Maine right now. Sheik can take stage control and force people into bad situations. Against Ganon, a bad situation usually means death.

Floor

Floor | Defiant of Destiny
NNID
SerPete
3DS FC
1736-3913-7675
I have a small variety of amiibo i play around with, putting them in doubles, etc. I know AI isn't the same as human play style, but I've noticed my Robin amiibo wins in doubles regardless of what his partner is our who his opponents are. Robin can trap opponents for powerful set ups while a teammate can set Robin up for a Nosferatu (is that a gimmick?).

On another note, Cloud is one of the best for doubles right now and has a lot of range/area of effect. Could can run up and do some neutral airs to push opponents towards robin, who can then trap with arcfire or really anything, giving cloud time for a strong follow up. So I'd say

:4cloud2::4robinm:

Megamang

Smash Lord
The Robin boards have a topic about doubles currently. While she does have some advantages, she also has some key flaws that hurt her. Being gimpable, she is always at risk to lose stocks. She is very slow, which means she is unable to help her teammates or escape bad situations easily. Her giant hitboxes are somewhat bad for hitting teammates.

She does have really big hitboxes and effective traps. But overall, she loses a lot in the chaos and doesn't make up for it.

GOML was one by dual marios, and I've seen this team around a LOT. They can capitalize off of eachothers hits really really well, and safe strong smashes are even better at fishing for kills when you have a teammate with the same moves! Also, cape and FLUDD are great for gimping, helping your teammate out, and generally causing chaos that Mario accels in.

ZSS + Juggler is also powerful, because she can go really high and finish you with boost kick for crazy early kills, and someone else starting her juggle chains can get around her rather lacklustre (but still great) neutral.

Megamang

Smash Lord
Cloud Cloud

Inventors of the cross slash to cross slash combo. Destroys your will to exist in the doubles bracket.

Ravengeance

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Ravengeance
I'd currently say :4sheik: :4cloud: is the best. Cloud's weakness of poor recovery is less in doubles and sheik's speed and needles even after the nerfs are enough to make it very difficult for your opponents to approach cloud allowing to him to constantly charge Limit Break. Sheik is also very difficult to punish in general and she isn't easily gimped. So the duo of sheik and cloud makes it very difficult to maintain center stage and also very difficult to approach so I believe this duo's strength in neutral makes them the best duo currently.

Mr.Seven

Smash Journeyman
NNID
The_FPG
:4link::4littlemac:

These two make a pretty good matchup in my opinion. Link has the range and tools to keep pressure on the opponent from afar while being no slouch up close himself. Little Mac has the speed to keep the ground control and the killing potential since he hits like a truck. Not to mention that Link can use his range to keep potential threats off of Mac.

:4robinm::4ness:
These two could definitely make a deadly combo together. Both have decent close range capabilities as well as having room for range. Robin would be sticking more to the back while Ness keeps them off Robin. Have Ness trap with the PK Fire, and Robin could use that opportunity to Nosferatu for quick heals. Not to mention if Team Attack being on, Robin can be at one end of the stage and use Thoron all the way across, damaging enemies while Ness could be at the opposite end with his Down B ready to absorb that for some quick heals. Also PK Fire + Arcfire.

:4ryu::4bayonetta:
One of the best ground combo-ers with the best aerial combo-ear.

:4corrin::4luigi:
Corrin can paralyze with his DFS or pin someone with the Dragon Lance. Easy Fire Jump Punch for Luigi.

Matt11111

Semi-Casual Modest Scrub
NNID
Mat11111
I think :4lucario: would make a good doubles partner with someone who can kill early, like :4myfriends: or :4bowser: I suppose. Lucario can get knocked around for a while and max out his Aura, and a heavyweight can come in for the early kills, and Lucario can get them later on. I may be going about this wrong, though.

Last edited:

extremechiton

Smash Lord
NNID
Extremechiton
3DS FC
1590-4719-6526
Switch FC
SW 5498 9796 6766
I think :4pacman:and :4pacman:would be good because of 2 downbs at once and without team attack the pac man ladder.
also are we talking about teams of 3 or 4 too?
You could also place the hydrants on top of each other to cover jumping space

Tobb99

Smash Apprentice
I think :4darkpit:/:4pit: are really good for teams. Pit is so versatile which is really good. He can also stock-tank quite well with his great recovery. Their Side-B are also easier to hit in teams with more stuff going on. I think Dark Pit might be more riskier as his Side-B KO easier off the side, while Pit's might not kill but put them in a better position above him.

I teamed with a Cloud main so with did a :4darkpit:+:4cloud: combo. It was pretty ok. The combo got good coverage above themselves, and also got some strong KO moves if they can connect them, and it just felt good in general. There are probably somewhat stronger combos, but I think it is pretty solid at least.

extremechiton

Smash Lord
NNID
Extremechiton
3DS FC
1590-4719-6526
Switch FC
SW 5498 9796 6766
I sometimes play :4villager:+:4villager: online with my friends. disregarding the gimmicks since he pocket team nerf, villager can recover from anywhere, one can stock tank and camp, and pester with lloids, sling shot and trees.
The other can pester also with sling shot, lloids.

The pocket is nice since it allows up to 4 lloids on the screen at a time.

Any:4zss:+ anyone else is good for dsmash set ups, paralyzer jab resets, footstool extended combos, various recovery options, combo ability, plus a nice set up if your team mate can set you up for a flip kick spike.

I imagine :4corrin:+:4zss: could be very potent. Stuns and pins all around.

Buuuut.... I'm guessing stun attacks count as a gimmick.

So moving on...

Mr. Johan

Smash Hero
NNID
Sonicboom93
Whoever doesn't think Mario & Luigi isn't the best team in the game is either deluded or lying.

Prove me wrong.

Masonomace

Yeah Shulk, get stuck in!
NNID
Masonomace
Whoever doesn't think Mario & Luigi isn't the best team in the game is either deluded or lying.

Prove me wrong.
Instead of trying to prove any wrongs, how about me genuinely asking if you know of or have any footage of Mario Brothers in action to help support your case.

Unfortunately most of my Doubles performances are on Twitch VODS that eventually get deleted, so I couldn't prove otherwise that Shulk in Doubles is a better case.

Murlough

Euphoria
NNID
Murl0ugh
3DS FC
4828-8253-7746
Sonic and Ganandorf.....so annoying and so scary at the same time. Sonic gets a grab, passes to Ganon, and the enemy blasts off again.

Top Bottom