• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Best Doubles Team?

Chef Besh

Smash Rookie
What team comp do you think is the best? My opinion would be double Snake. So much field pressure. Thoughts?

PastLink

Smash Journeyman
Mario+ anybody= tricky team cape tricks + bolstered recovery. me and my friend have done it on accident in a match, but when i jump and attack at mario with usually fair or bair. (keep in mind i'm using tink in this match) and i suddenly get a big boost upwards (along with the usual reversal that comes with the cape) it's tricky, we haven't been able to do it on purpose but it definately has it's merits.

mario+ ike: cape shenanigans combined with QD shenanigans that can be turned around if missed? fire ball pressure followed up with ike fair? the phrase you're looking for is "too good"

Professor Pro

Smash Legend
Double Snake wouldn't be the best team lol, Snake is amazing doubles though.

Snake + MK I think would be a SUPER solid team, especially because you can get a cheap kill at 0% if you stick a C4 on Metaknight, he does a U-Throw, and then you blow it up.
If MK is at a high percent like 130% he can just do that to trade stock with the other person.

Plus MK is a super solid character across the board and so is Snake in doubles.

Vashimus

Smash Master
I remember Umbreon saying Marth was bad in doubles, I can't remember his reasoning though.

Can't go wrong with double Fox though, right? :D

The_Altrox

Smash Lord
NNID
The_Altrox
I know in Brawl, Metaknight being paired with Snake, Wario, Diddy (and of course, another Metaknight) were great teams.

Personally, I love mixing and matching to see what works best. For example, I like Ivysaur, but I try to play him conservatively w/ less razor leaves/seed bombs so I don't hurt my partner. Likewise, I like Ganondorf, but in teams, I feel like I'd drag my partner down with my **** recovery. As for Bowser, dude is great, but he's so big and takes up half the stage, increasing the chance of killing my partner.

I feel that teams favor the small and fast. Fox and Wolf look like they'd be great on teams by the looks of things. Metaknight too. Snake also has a niche, being heavy and a good trapsetter.

1MachGO

Smash Ace
G&W and any character with an energy projectile.

Samus and Puff are awesome in Melee. They are probably still really good. Samus and Kirby probably have quite a bit of potential too

Chesstiger2612

Smash Lord
I would go for one characer who could do like everything in doubles (Fox, Wario, MK, Mario) and other that fits with the specific overall char (there are more options on this side) like Snake+MK as mentioned above etc.

splat

Smash Lord
I know many people don't care much for Brawl, but I loved the Lucas/Pikachu combination Mekos & ESAM played in Brawl.
How would that combination (or Ness/Pikachu) fare in a PM double?

Abeebo

Smash Journeyman
MK + Samus. Excellent upclose and long range pressure, and both can easily stay out of eachother's way with Samus' crawling and MK's jumps. Samus' new kill moves compliment MK's rushing/grab game easily.

Too slow? Samus can always go Zero Suit. NOW you're in trouble.

Hungry Headcrab

Smash Ace
Bowser + Ganon is fun. I can just go crazy, and if I hit Bowser it doesn't matter because he's a tank. You get a lot of horrifying and powerful stage coverage as well, and Bowser up-b is actually somewhat useful in saving Ganon when he can't recover.

Alternatively, Samus + Ganon is silly. Just let Ganon go nuts and Samus will shoot junk from the sides.

Nausicaa

Smash Lord
Lucas and Luigi
Pikachu and Peach
Yoshi and Wolf
Wario and Fox
Mario and Falcon
Sonic and Metaknight
Falco and Kirby
Pit and DK
Snake and Mewtwo
Just some that I like off the top of my head.

Vashimus

Smash Master
Samus makes a great stock tank because of her survivability and good camping, allowing partners like spacies, Lucas, Meta Knight etc. to just go nuts.

Nausicaa

Smash Lord
Luigi, Wario, and Peach can work for that stock-tank and survival too, but they can ALSO go nuts, if the Lucas, Metaknight, or spacies need to sit back for a time period/match-up.

Edit: HASHTAGdoublesisthebettermeta
HASHTAGshotsfiredatsingles
HASHTAGIthinkIfinallygethowhashtagworks

Mono.

Stopmotion Love.
Roy + Mewtwo team is so good they cause the game to not work.

Thane of Blue Flames

Fire is catching.
I love doubles play more than singles to be honest.

I've actually been toying with the idea of an Ike + Charizard team. They're both large characters with high KO potential and big swingy hit-boxes but what makes this combo work better than something like Ike/Ike or Ike/Ganon is that Charizard can take to the air, allowing for more breathing room while still having a lot of stage presence and KO power. Charizard also has better combos/juggles while Ike has a better grab game for team combos and repositions, plus QD shenanigans for quick escapes, assists and mix-ups. Either can also be a stock tank in a pinch due to excellent recoveries :)

Plus, this'll be the closest I ever get to playing a Dragonlord in Smash. (My tag in P:M matches is Haar.)

Strong Badam

Super Elite
Administrator
Premium
BRoomer
DK is bad in teams unless you're against very specific team compositions. I prefer using Ike or Wario like 3/4ths of the time. I sometimes even pick Mario.

Thane of Blue Flames

Fire is catching.
Limited experience here, admittedly, but Mario + Peach is utter domination. Fireballs everywhere on the ground and a Peach in the sky. GG. My partner and I had three matches in a row where we didn't lose a stock.

foxygrandpa

Smash Journeyman
I've had a lot of success with pit meta, fox meta, fox peach, and pit peach. It seems to me like metaknight is an extremely solid teams character. Another team that I found good was fox link. Fox can close of kills while link causes commotion, stage control, and raises percents.

#HBC | Joker

Space Marine
NNID
HBCJoker
3DS FC
1864-9780-3232
Samus makes a great stock tank because of her survivability and good camping, allowing partners like spacies, Lucas, Meta Knight etc. to just go nuts.
The problem with samus, if you play a conservative, campy stock tank style, is that you your teammate gets abused by two opponents, and falls apart quicker. You need to be relatively aggressive, and play around your teammate. There's a reason that there's only like, 2 good samus players in Melee who do well in doubles.

Nausicaa

Smash Lord
The only way characters like DK/Char/slow but kill if they have room/can't really help the team characters actually work optimally in doubles (better than other options) is if the teammate fits a moldy criteria. As in, they can't be singled out easily and crushed, they can't be avoided easily, and they aren't very stream-lined in what they do.
Characters like Peach, Lucas, Metaknight, Pit, Mario, they all kind of fit that mold.

Juushichi

sugoi ~ sugoi ~
Puff / Wario seems like it's a pretty good team, but longevity (Puff wise) may become an issue. They are absolutely annoying to deal with in tandem though.

Sixth-Sense

Smash Ace
San Francisco, Venezuela (not the famous one)
its strange how nobody has mentioned Ganon and pika, they are an incredible combination since they compliment each other so well

i mean ganon has poor recovery and isn't too fast, but has that amazing kill power with every attack not to mention range
then theres pika, doesn't have that many one hit KO's nor range but he has a great recovery, fast attacks, and thanks to speed and size he also has the ability to be anywhere in the stage

you guys should see the combination with Axe and Kage, its devastating

Quag

Smash Rookie
I really like Zelda/Pika or Marth/Pika. Zelda helps Pikachu with his range and KOing problems through fireball support and aerials while Marth helps a whole lot with range and has given me so many combos that I didn't even know about. They also are good characters for Pikachu to fall back on while Pikachu helps with their close range and other weaknesses they may have. Just keep Zelda/Marth a little aggressive and your set.

Top Bottom