• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Best contoller to Use One-handed?

voittaa711

Smash Journeyman
Chicagoland area---1v1 no items AIM- Voittaa711
Unfortunately, Monday morning I got myself into a pretty bad car wreck and my arm jammed into the steering wheel on impact shattering some bones in my wrist...theres some pictures of my car and I'll post if I have time. Its pretty amazing I walked out alive lol.

Anyways, as you can see, the only games I can really play are wii sports and warioware, but since I've only had brawl for a couple weeks, I really want to play it.

I've been screwing around with different custom combinations with just the wii remote, but...

...what do you guys think the best contoller would be for one hand?

...and what custom controls would be the best for it?

Doc Chronic

Smash Ace
Wow that sucks, i'm sorry. You could try and change your taunts to shoulder buttons, and set the d pad up for throws and shielding. Then you could theoretically use the GC controller with some patience

phanna

Dread Phanna
BRoomer
None of the four controllers have all the buttons on one face, sadly. Therefore, I would suggest going with the controller style you used before, and are generally the most comfortable with.

There were a few really good one-handed players in melee, but with l-cancelling gone, I'm suprised it hasn't been cropping up more, since it's so much more possible. With a gamecube controller, you should be pretty proficient with one hand (I found I was, while eating & playing at the same time) - the only issue is shielding, teching, and grabbing (using a gamecube controller), which is hardly game-stopping. Speaking of doing things with one hand, I was eating, using smashboards, and editing together the Brawl Challenges picture all with one hand, since my other one was running my Sticker Factory :p

I'm sorry to hear about the crash, but based on the description, it sounds like things could have been worse. Good luck in recovering!

Doc Chronic

Smash Ace
None of the four controllers have all the buttons on one face, sadly. Therefore, I would suggest going with the controller style you used before, and are generally the most comfortable with.

There were a few really good one-handed players in melee, but with l-cancelling gone, I'm suprised it hasn't been cropping up more, since it's so much more possible. With a gamecube controller, you should be pretty proficient with one hand (I found I was, while eating & playing at the same time) - the only issue is shielding, teching, and grabbing (using a gamecube controller), which is hardly game-stopping. Speaking of doing things with one hand, I was eating, using smashboards, and editing together the Brawl Challenges picture all with one hand, since my other one was running my Sticker Factory :p

I'm sorry to hear about the crash, but based on the description, it sounds like things could have been worse. Good luck in recovering!
cant shields and grabs be mapped onto the dpad?

hellbourne

Smash Cadet
if you can find a way to hold the wiimote and nunchuck in one hand you should be able to use the shake smash option and still be able to move and use special moves. Obviously you wont be able to do tilts, but that seems like the best way to do it one handed.

rove

Smash Apprentice
Wow.
Well I guess you share my pain, my wii died just monday, and now im pist.

kupo15

Smash Hero
I think the best option would be the GC controller. Idk which hand is your free hand, but in my dorm, there is this girl who was born with a complete right arm and her left stopped at her elbow. She plays pretty well, especially at N64 and almost beat me a couple times. And seeing that Brawl is somewhat closer to N64, I believe GC is the way to go. Sorry to hear about your accident and good luck!

thecatinthehat

Smash Master
Nunchuk and Wiimote held in one hand is doable Just ducktape them together. Or you could play the GC controller in some pseudo-claw style.

Project Occasus

Smash Cadet
If your right hand is free, you could try mapping movement to the c-stick. I don't know if you can do that, but it's worth I shot, I'd think.

smash_fo_life

Smash Journeyman
im sry for you
my friend broke is arm and was playin halo with his mouth to move the anolog stick
try nunchuck move around with the stick in your mouth and your other hand controlling the wiimote

voittaa711

Smash Journeyman
Chicagoland area---1v1 no items AIM- Voittaa711
hmm...i never really considered the GC controller but it does seem like it would be the easiest especially if i mapped some things to the d-pad. I'll try it out.

I was doing OK online with the remote... i changed attack to A, shield to 1 and special -

thanks for the help guys

NDUDE

Smash Ace
Wow.
Well I guess you share my pain, my wii died just monday, and now im pist.
Despite the fact that both of you have Brawl-playing issues, don't you dare compare a broken Wii to broken bones.

Anyways, I'm sorry to hear about the accident. I guess what you could do is map your main functions to the Wiimote and other stuff like taunting or just duplicates (like a second shield button) to the Nunchuck so that you really would just need it to move.

Try this: hold the Wiimote in your good hand, and place the nunchuck in your lap between your legs (or in something that will keep it in place), and use your palm to rotate the analog stick. It's obviously not a completely efficient way to play, but I'm sure you could get the hang of it. You could also try using 2 fingers/fingertips (whatever is easier with the cast on) to control the analog stick. Either way, I think Wiimote/Nunchuck is the way to go.

Also, you could try more basic stuff like the stage builder, taking trophy/sticker snapshots, etc.

Good luck recovering!

The Flaming Lugi

Smash Cadet
Wow, im sorry u had a wreck. Hope you feel better, but im gonna have to go with smash fo life. hes got a pretty good idea.

DeliciousCake

Smash Lord
3DS FC
4313-1513-6404
Wiimote. Waggle smashes, movement and jump set to the D-pad. Map A to special. B to shield. You now have yourself a one-handed controller.

Top Bottom